Got a Feeling the Pressure is Coming.......Bills Need Counter Plays

In recent games it seems like the Bills have lost their ability to protect against blitz pressure.  Part of the reason teams are blitzing is that the Bills have also lost the ability to counter against the blitz even when they know it is coming.  

Josh being able to escape to the sideline and make a productive play are just not happening enough for whatever reason.  Also an eligible receiver like a runner or TE never seems to be in the middle beyond DL coverage for a quick pass.  They just are not there- ever.  Other teams do this all the time. 

I have a feeling Miami will blitz and man cover more than they usually do. 

I hope the Bills are working to install plays to truly turn blitzes into productive gains.   For the Miami game and beyond.  

We know are coming.....

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Keep an extra guy in to block.

Give Josh time to carve up their bad secondary.

Then let Cook sneak out of the backfield for a few shots downfield 

Josh missed Cook wide open on the sideline last week.  Josh has hit that pass twice before one for a TD and one a dropped TD. 

On the very first 3rd down play against the Chargers, Josh missed a wide open Murray out of the backfield, instead trying to cram it into a blanketed receiver, incomplete, punt.

Those dump off plays to wide open RBs are there, Josh just isn't seeing them or taking them, for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

In recent games it seems like the Bills have lost their ability to protect against blitz pressure.  Part of the reason teams are blitzing is that the Bills have also lost the ability to counter against the blitz even when they know it is coming.  

Josh being able to escape to the sideline and make a productive play are just not happening enough for whatever reason.  Also an eligible receiver like a runner or TE never seems to be in the middle beyond DL coverage for a quick pass.  They just are not there- ever.  Other teams do this all the time. 

I hope the Bills are working to install plays to truly turn blitzes into productive gains.   For the Miami game and beyond.  

We know are coming.....

I don't hate that 3x1 play boundary alert - i just don't know that it needs to be diggs there.  Shakir or Kincaid would work.  

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

On the very first 3rd down play against the Chargers, Josh missed a wide open Murray out of the backfield, instead trying to cram it into a blanketed receiver, incomplete, punt.

Those dump off plays to wide open RBs are there, Josh just isn't seeing them or taking them, for whatever reason.

It's one of his few weaknesses for sure. But to be fair, guys like Murray and Cook have dropped easy dump off passes all season so I could see Allen's hesitation in throwing them. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, QB Bills said:

It's one of his few weaknesses for sure. But to be fair, guys like Murray and Cook have dropped easy dump off passes all season so I could see Allen's hesitation in throwing them. 

Well, as long as we're being fair, just about everybody has been dropping passes this year, so it's hard to imagine him having great trust in anyone at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I agree. I love Josh but taking the easy 5 yard completion is still a challenge for him.

And he is actually awful at the WR screen pass. He never delivers it accurately.  They should strip it from the playbook. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

25 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

We know are coming.....

I tend to agree with this, outside of the dominant performance against the Cowboys I'm not seeing where the Bills offensive line matches the metrics that say they are among the best in the league. Because if that's the case they would have looked much better against 2 of the best defensive lines in the NFL in recent weeks (chiefs/patriots). And this is another major concern heading into the playoffs considering they are going to face similar front sevens every week should they make it there and advance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Yeah. That was the case last year too. I really wish this was stressed to him more. Brady made a killing taking the dump offs. 

At the same time, Murray dropped a ridiculously easy pass against NE. Cook also has only ok hands. Hard to trust those guys

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

This team doesn't absolutely nothing imaginative on offense, so we can probably expect that shotgun RB draw to be run over and over again for 3.2 YPC.

Dolphins blitzing?  The obvious answer is very complex, slow developing plays with a dozen tiny receivers, each one more tiny than the last!

• Haha (+1) 2

Who will they Blitz?? Will Dolphins Blitz?? They are one of the most blitzing teams in the AFC. They Blitz all the time! Van Ginkel for one is a constant torpedo. Watch any Phins game and it's "send the house Fangio" all day. Get ready for it. It's coming as that is all they have - especially with Howard injured or out and Chubb out. They now can't afford to just sit back - it's blitz city as usual in South Fla. Bills will be ready!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Who will they Blitz?? Will Dolphins Blitz?? They are one of the most blitzing teams in the AFC. They Blitz all the time! Van Ginkel for one is a constant torpedo. Watch any Phins game and it's "send the house Fangio" all day. Get ready for it. It's coming as that is all they have - especially with Howard injured or out and Chubb out. They now can't afford to just sit back - it's blitz city as usual in South Fla. Bills will be ready!

The Dolphins currently have the 23rd highest blitz percentage in the league.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Dolphins blitzing?  The obvious answer is very complex, slow developing plays with a dozen tiny receivers, each one more tiny than the last!

Alternate strategy, Josh runs for 200+ yards. 

I'm more so worried about the pressure coming from the interior. Patriots was getting a lot of pressure from the middle of the line. I read where Josh said he felt scrum around his feet. Morse, McGovern and Torrence has to be better. Davis, Wilkins and Hand are a handful. Their play will be the most critical component of the night. If they're strong, Josh will carve the Dolphins up. Cook will cook. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/4/2024 at 12:06 PM, FilthyBeast said:

I tend to agree with this, outside of the dominant performance against the Cowboys I'm not seeing where the Bills offensive line matches the metrics that say they are among the best in the league. Because if that's the case they would have looked much better against 2 of the best defensive lines in the NFL in recent weeks (chiefs/patriots). And this is another major concern heading into the playoffs considering they are going to face similar front sevens every week should they make it there and advance.

Maybe the OL isn't holding that much - at least the penalties are WAY down.  

On 1/4/2024 at 8:01 PM, Big Blitz said:

Whatever they do our oline better figure it out bc the middle of it has been **s for the last 2 games.  

or have a great offensive move to counter it ! 

Posted (edited)

Could it be as simple as two eligible receivers blocking (could be a strong side guard and TE) and one or both peel off for a very quick pass?  They would be the safety valve.  

Is this the intention of 12 personnel? 

Edited by jethro_tull

I am not concerned about what Miami does on defense. It’s all about what Allen chooses to do.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:02 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm more so worried about the pressure coming from the interior. Patriots was getting a lot of pressure from the middle of the line. I read where Josh said he felt scrum around his feet. Morse, McGovern and Torrence has to be better. Davis, Wilkins and Hand are a handful. Their play will be the most critical component of the night. If they're strong, Josh will carve the Dolphins up. Cook will cook. 

Interior DT penetration can be neutralized by putting horizontal pressure on the defense. We don’t do this effectively. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

Could it be as simple as two eligible receivers blocking (could be a strong side guard and TE) and one or both peel off for a very quick pass?  They would be the safety valve.  

Is this the intention of 12 personnel? 

I don't honestly think Dorsey or Brady knew what to do with 12 personnel. It's basically tell Knox to block and tell Kincaid to go out 6 yards and turn.  We never use both TE's as receiving options on the same play.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.