Historic Possibilities. 2 Seed or Bust

Cvanvol7

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

A December collapse is as dolphinsy as it gets though and both teams seem to always lose in primetime lately…something’s gotta give in this one 😂

Yeah it definitely is as dolphiny as it gets.  I agree 💯.  It’s a thing- ain’t no doubt.  

we just have to win and forever we were ever in this ridiculous position to begin with

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It very much does not lol. You’re missing the jags piece of it who could be without Lawrence 

I already acknowledged this, but again consider the Jags beat the Titans a more probable outcome than the Ravens/Steelers.

In fact the Jaguars might be better off right now without Lawrence if he's hurt, at least that was the case last week.

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

I was originally angry about the possibility being out of the playoffs with a loss but now I am have warmed up to it.  Bills likely need the 2-seed to make a realistic run at the Lombardi this year, and if they don’t get in they get to draft #18, which has been the sweet spot for drafting a #1 wr. 

Lmao. So, no 2 seed you want no part of it. Wow

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

So the Bills are playing arguably the biggest regular season game any team has ever had, huh?

That doesn't make me feel great at all.

Only if the Steelers and Jaguars win. It will still be a big game but if one of those team lose then at least the Bills are guaranteed a WC before Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Who is AL?

1 hour ago, Cvanvol7 said:

Artificial Intelligence 

Maybe the OP should use this AI crap to look up the definition of sarcasm and comedy.

You got a laugh from me.

First off, I hope (just like everyone else) we beat the brakes off of Miami Sunday night to secure the #2 seed. But, if we do not, then maybe, just maybe, the Steelers do what the Bills did all those years ago and lose to a team's 2nd/3rd string to cost themselves a chance at the Playoffs. We shall see. 

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Maybe the OP should use this AI crap to look up the definition of sarcasm and comedy.

You got a laugh from me.

ok?

I thought I had misspelled it and they were being the grammar police. 

27 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I already acknowledged this, but again consider the Jags beat the Titans a more probable outcome than the Ravens/Steelers.

In fact the Jaguars might be better off right now without Lawrence if he's hurt, at least that was the case last week.

Most teams look better against the panthers 😁. If the Steelers and jags are 70% to win which feels like a pretty decent estimate if Baltimore rests starters we’re about 78% to make it overall and 50/50 with a loss to miami.  

with starters playing all game for Baltimore (very unlikely but you never know) it jumps up to that 95% number you see on all the simulation playoff prediction sites

i feel like the starters are gonna play a half in that game so I’ll average those two ravens win probabilities to try to factor that in somehow lol and that gets us to 86% that we make it. I based the win percentages on that ESPN fpi thingy.  

1 minute ago, H2o said:

First off, I hope (just like everyone else) we beat the brakes off of Miami Sunday night to secure the #2 seed. But, if we do not, then maybe, just maybe, the Steelers do what the Bills did all those years ago and lose to a team's 2nd/3rd string to cost themselves a chance at the Playoffs. We shall see. 

If anyone’s backups can win a game it’s baltimores…they’re as seasoned as anybody..  there’s not enough roster space to start a whole team of backups anyway and Huntley has beaten the Steelers starters a few times in recent history too.  It wouldn’t be terribly shocking if Baltimore won that game especially considering the Steelers are starting a 2nd/3rd string qb themselves 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gary Marangi said:

I would love to stomp the Jags at home

You mean, like, our actual home? Or the “home” that Roger and the NFL gave us in London? You know, the Jags second home.

If we had played that home game in our actual home, we’d probably be sitting with one more win right now. Yes, it matters Roger.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

at the time i wanted the big crows to dismantle the 40whiners, in hindsight...teams with nothing to play for aint gonna risk big time injuries...

any which way, its time for the bills mafia to take over miami n the bills 2 beat the sushi outta flipper...LET GOOOO BUFFALOOO!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cvanvol7 said:

Doing some AI questioning today because I feel like this fact continues to be mentioned but glossed over. Is this actually right? It looks like it is almost statistically impossible for a team to get into the situation the bills possibly face on Sunday.

This terrifies me as it seems incredibly cursed for us to find the team facing this.......

This is what AI told me:

"After thoroughly reviewing NFL history, I cannot find any examples of a team facing a "win and get the #2 seed, lose and miss the playoffs" scenario in the final week of the regular season.

The closest situations I could find are:

2008 Buccaneers: Win and get NFC #4 seed, lose and miss playoffs

2011 Cowboys: Win and get NFC #4 seed, lose and miss playoffs

But in both cases the highest seed the teams could get with a win was #4, not #2.

Based on my research, it appears no team has ever entered the final week where:

A win would clinch the #2 seed in their conference

A loss would eliminate them from the playoffs entirely

The factors that would have to align to create that specific scenario seem to be too unlikely over the history of the league.

So in summary, while teams have faced "win and in, lose and out" situations before, I could not find an instance where the specific seeding at stake was the #2 seed versus missing the playoffs completely. Please let me know if I'm missing any historical examples, but I believe your original assumption is correct - that scenario has likely never occurred in the NFL's regular season finale."

Nothing historical.

Also, Bills in 1980 entering final week could have been 2 or out of the playoffs, but got 3.

9 minutes ago, chongli said:

Nothing historical.

Also, Bills in 1980 entering final week could have been 2 or out of the playoffs, but got 3.

I think you are misunderstanding it a bit. All of those team could have been, none of them would have been. We WILL be 2 with a win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Sorry to upset some folks, but this is as Billsy as it gets.  2 seed or out of the playoffs. All because we lost to some bad bad teams

Yup and it’s exactly what fits this 2023 version of the Bills: they totally deserve either the #2 seed or to miss the playoffs entirely.  It’s oddly fitting.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If anyone’s backups can win a game it’s baltimores…they’re as seasoned as anybody..  there’s not enough roster space to start a whole team of backups anyway and Huntley has beaten the Steelers starters a few times in recent history too.  It wouldn’t be terribly shocking if Baltimore won that game especially considering the Steelers are starting a 2nd/3rd string qb themselves 

Very true about Baltimore's backups. Their team is clearly on another level than Pittsburgh. 

On the Steelers QB situation though? Rudolph has looked like the best of the three they have started. He and Pickens also seem to have great chemistry at the moment. In the last two games Pickens has 11 catches for 236yds and 2 TD's. That's 12 yards short of what he had the 5 games prior to combined. 

All that said, I still expect Baltimore to win an ugly, 17-16 type of game. 

39 minutes ago, chongli said:

Nothing historical.

The big thing you're leaving out is that none of those examples occurred when the playoffs had seven teams, which means it's now harder to miss the playoffs than it was back then.

Edit:  I looked at the whole tweet, I was wrong.  But still:  most of them happened in the five-or-six-team playoff setup, and here the thing that really makes it different is we don't need ANY help to get the 2 seed if we win.  I doubt that was the case with most of these examples. 

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BRH said:

The big thing you're leaving out is that none of those examples occurred when the playoffs had seven teams, which means it's now harder to miss the playoffs than it was back then.

Correct most are 4 or 5 team playoffs with less games as well and 4 way ties for the potential of the 2 seed. This is the only clear cut 2 Seed opportunity. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Cvanvol7 said:

I think you are misunderstanding it a bit. All of those team could have been, none of them would have been. We WILL be 2 with a win. 

My apologies! 

Let's do it! Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Cvanvol7 said:

Being the 4 seed or being out happens almost every year. This does not. To be the worst division winner or be out of the playoffs makes a ton of sense, to be the second best team or out is wildly improbable but yet of course the bills find themselves there. 

I think you are getting wrapped up with the number 2 too much. The 1 seed is apart from the rest 2-4 is just a division win. So 2 and 4 are interchangeable the only reason they are jumping so high is because the other teams have played poorly but just good enough to stay up top

56 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I think you are getting wrapped up with the number 2 too much. The 1 seed is apart from the rest 2-4 is just a division win. So 2 and 4 are interchangeable the only reason they are jumping so high is because the other teams have played poorly but just good enough to stay up top

Not really. The 2 seed is guaranteed two home games with wins. It used to be a bye. They aren’t interchangeable imo

• Like (+1) 3

Just read some stats on teams that rest their starters - the % that lose in the divisional round are pretty eye-opening.  Statistically, it's much better to treat the last game as a normal game.

Really hoping the Ravens decide to play their starters, or at least most of them.  It would be a nice surprise to head into Sunday knowing that we didn't 100% need to win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, McBean said:

As a fan, hedge on DraftKings for them to miss. I believe it’s like +650. To make its -900 aka Vegas is very confident we are getting in.

*not gambling or financial advice. I’m just an average Joe on this message board speaking my opinion and hoping I see 1 championship before I die.*

Fins, Pats, Steelers and Jags got me +1300. It will be a small consolation if they miss out. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am hoping The Ravens can do what The Steelers back ups have done to us, and that is beat The Steelers with their backups in a meaningless game. Remember The Bills being on the receiving end of that? Or when we blew The Dolphins out in the 2020 season in a game that meant nothing for us but everything for them. 

Can we come up with a nickname for if we're eliminated now rather than later? Something like The Two to Poo.

We'll be talking about it for decades just like wide right and Music City Miracle so we may as well give it a name now

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

in ‘92 Bills had the 1 seed locked up at 12-4 with a win at the Oilers, but lost and had to play the next week as the 5 hosting the Oilers. 

That's the game Jimbo exited due to injury and Frank had to fill in... wow... I haven't thought about that game in a LONG TIME!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

I am hoping The Ravens can do what The Steelers back ups have done to us, and that is beat The Steelers with their backups in a meaningless game. Remember The Bills being on the receiving end of that?

Remember it?  I was there.  In the same end zone where Nate Clements fumbled a kickoff and Rian Lindell missed a FG.  It's the worst game I ever attended in person.  

I was also there in 1987 when we hosted the Pats in the final game of the season.  Winner won the division, loser missed the playoffs.  We lost.

I will not be at the game this Sunday, don't worry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m not convinced the Ravens rest their starters, en masse:

1) if they rest starters, it’s three full weeks before they play a game (this week leading up to the Steeler game, the week leading up to the bye, and then the week leading up to their game at home.  I don’t think any coach would feel comfortable with that kind of layoff, especially Harbaugh. Reading some recent quotes, it seems like he feels like he mis-handled 2019 when they came out flat in the playoffs after resting starters at the end of the regular season.

2) The Steelers have had their number, winning 6 of 7.  I live in the Mid-Atlantic; the Steeler rivalry is as heated as Miami-Buffalo.  They hate each other.  I can’t imagine the Raven culture being “cool” with laying down for your hated rival after the Steelers have owned you for three years. 

I look for the Ravens to play a lot of starters, given even just one of the two points above, but especially because both things are true.

That bodes well for us on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Steelers have a good chance of beating a Ravens team that has nothing to play for and may sit some starters (anyone having any sort of injury.)

Something about the NFL script writers putting that game essentially on in primetime tho…….I think they believe the game will be competitive.  

Mason Rudolph could implode vs backups that could frustrate the Steelers offense. 

I don’t see the Ravens scoring much tho.  

Steelers 20 Ravens 17 - I think it will be close.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.