Ravens rest starters?

TD716

Just now, Arkady Renko said:

They did it last year. 

They didn’t have the bye last year…if they were locked in at the 2 it’s probably backups all game but most of your starters not playing for two straight weeks is risky especially for a team that is almost always flat in the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I'd have the starters practice and play a couple series.

3 weeks is a long time.

But I expect they don't play. Vegas agrees, just look at the line.

I think the line would be more pits way if they truly knew.  Baltimore does have really seasoned backups though and Huntley is much better than mason rudolph straight up so who knows 

feels like a ‘could go 3 points either direction when we have more info’ line to me…if the ravens starters play a half I think it’s a pick em 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

They were a wildcard team last year.

Yes but they actually had something to play for - the coin flip thing - and still rested players. 

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the line would be more pits way if they truly knew.  Baltimore does have really seasoned backups though and Huntley is much better than mason rudolph straight up so who knows 

I mean remember that Dolphins game a couple of years ago? The Bills destroyed them despite it being important to them but not to us. 

3 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Yes but they actually had something to play for - the coin flip thing - and still rested players. 

That’s not the point…if they rest starters all of week 18 they’re gonna be off two weeks then have to play a playoff team coming off a big first round win 

3 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

I mean remember that Dolphins game a couple of years ago? The Bills destroyed them despite it being important to them but not to us. 

Yea we rested starters a half and destroyed them…I think that’s what’s gonna happen to pit too

3 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I really doubt they'll play.

Are only realistic path into the playoffs is to beat Miami. 

My best pessimistic guess is no Lamar but the rest of the starters play a half.  Baltimore has been burned so many times just being completely flat/out of sorts in the playoffs that I don’t think they’re gonna want to give everyone two weeks off 

that honestly might make Baltimore tougher lol Lamar seems to have trouble against pit and Huntley is pretty good 

1 minute ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Either way I still see Pitt winning the game.

They could…I think it’s 50/50 if Baltimore starters play a half.   Rudolph is gonna get smoked by that defense 

maybe they’ll rest guys all game but that’s a big mistake imo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, TD716 said:

I don’t see them resting their starters. The starters they don’t play will have a three week gap from when they last played until their first playoff game. 

I 100% agree here.  I also don't think they want to hand anyone, especially the Steelers, a potential playoff spot.  I think the thought of a 3-week layoff will be too much, and they won't want to risk being risky come playoff time.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

They did it last year. 

ya but this would be a 2 week gap, which is risky imo. I'd expect at least a half, if not full game for key starters but even their backup qb and defensive depth is good, they're no bums. 

Hopefully can lock up Rudolph. 

I would be miserable to lose to Mia and miss the playoffs completely.  It'd be devastating,  although I predict a W 

Edited by JerseyBills

5 hours ago, TD716 said:

I don’t see them resting their starters. The starters they don’t play will have a three week gap from when they last played until their first playoff game. 

They have nothing to play for. Bodies are banged up and rest is more than welcomed. 

Also, why would you risk injuries for a meaningless game? 

Lastly, it would be smart to lose and maybe aid in the dangerous Bills team to miss the playoffs. 

The ravens will 100% rest their starters. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

My best pessimistic guess is no Lamar but the rest of the starters play a half.  Baltimore has been burned so many times just being completely flat/out of sorts in the playoffs that I don’t think they’re gonna want to give everyone two weeks off 

that honestly might make Baltimore tougher lol Lamar seems to have trouble against pit and Huntley is pretty good 

I disagree. Do you really think playing starters here will be advantageous to their future playoff game? Are people here saying it will prevent the players from being rusty? I'm not buying that argument at all. 

Instead, all players bodies are banged up at this point. Rest and preventing injuries are optimal here. 

This game is totally meaningless for the Ravens unless they see the Bills asca threat. If so, they will lose the game. Either way the path is paved for a Pitt win unless the Ravens backups steal one. Huntly isn't bad. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I don’t know how much the key starters play, but I do know Harbs doesn’t want to lose to the Steelers.

There's mo love lost between the teams and my guess is some Ravens players will be lobbying the coach for playing time and padding stats.  Even so, given the 53 man roster you can't rest everyone.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

6 hours ago, TD716 said:

If the Bills had the one seed locked up would you want the Bills starters to play. You have to also assume the Bills would be clicking on all cylinders as well. The ravens certainly are. 

Once you answer the question above you should change your mind. 

• Agree 2

Division rivals don't just roll out the red carpet for the other to get into the playoffs so that they might have the chance to beat them later on.

Whether the starters play or not, the Steelers will get a Baltimore team that will be prepared and ready to give them all they can handle next week in their own building

Ravens aren't going to just want to get embarrassed and take an L against their hated Steelers.

I think the Ravens still win this game regardless if they have nothing to play for.

They were still throwing on Miami late in the game up 30 points.  Harbaugh still wants to send a message and who wants to take an L heading into the playoffs.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

They have nothing to play for. Bodies are banged up and rest is more than welcomed. 

Also, why would you risk injuries for a meaningless game? 

Lastly, it would be smart to lose and maybe aid in the dangerous Bills team to miss the playoffs. 

The ravens will 100% rest their starters. 

100% this.  I’d be shocked if any key Baltimore player played more than a series or two, if at all.  All the reasons you listed for resting guys heavily outweigh any reasoning of either not wanting to be rusty OR having some vendetta against the Steelers.  We

knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs a few years back, so by similar reasoning, they’d just as much want to keep us out of the dance.  Not to mention Josh is way more of a threat than Kenny Pickett / Mason Rudolph.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Also a Saturday prime time game.  I think even the backups would like to take out Pittsburgh-- they hate each other.  And Pittsburgh's O is not good, and Rudolph is due to puke.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. Do you really think playing starters here will be advantageous to their future playoff game? Are people here saying it will prevent the players from being rusty? I'm not buying that argument at all. 

Instead, all players bodies are banged up at this point. Rest and preventing injuries are optimal here. 

This game is totally meaningless for the Ravens unless they see the Bills asca threat. If so, they will lose the game. Either way the path is paved for a Pitt win unless the Ravens backups steal one. Huntly isn't bad. 

Happy medium-- play some for a half.  Three weeks with no action is a long time.  And 2020 shows the Ravens can get rusty.

First off you only have so many players to play, therefore many regulars will be starting vs Pittsburgh.  Secondly, the Ravens more than any other club have plenty of backups who’ve played meaningful games over the past two seasons, including Huntley and all the RB’s.

People think Pittsburgh is going in there and will beat up the Ravens? no way. it may be a Steelers close victory but could also easily go the other way.

If I’m a fan of Baltimore, I’d want them to rest the key guys. 

If I’m Harbaugh, I know we haven’t had a ton of success in the playoffs in the Lamar era and my QB is gunning for a personal achievement in MVP. 

I don’t think it’s clear cut they rest guys, given they have a Wild Card Round Bye Week, but anyone who’s dinged up isn’t playing and I think it’s 30/70 Lamar plays… and if he plays, probably a half.

The good news is the Ravens/AFC North is a different animal.  I’m guessing they still care about imposing their will on a rival and ending their playoff hopes.

I also don’t think they care about losing on purpose with the hope Buffalo loses and gets left out.  Might not be smart, but I don’t think they are wired that way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Even if they do, they literally HATE the Steelers, a bitter division rival, so they will be playing as hard as possible to keep them out. Plus it's a home game for them. No different than the Bills destroying the Fins in a meaningless game resting half their players when the Fins could have gotten in the playoffs with a win in 2020...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

You have to remember too, the Seahawks never play the Steelers. They weren’t prepared.  The Ravens and Harbaugh, know the Steelers and Mason Rudolph like the back of their hands.  They will get a crucial pick or two.

Absolutely won’t see the field:

Lamar 

Hamilton

Roquon

Queen

Likely

Clowney 

Stanley 

Linderbaum

Gus

Hill

Williams 

Humphrey 

Pierce

Flowers

OBJ

I’d expect a bunch of them will be inactive.  A handful of them have been playing with injuries.  Especially in their secondary and RB has already been decimated.  

It's a division game, it's on Saturday, and they have the bye.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't play starters for a half. Which is about all they'd need.  I'm still of the mindset that we'll have to beat Miami to get in, but we may get a surprise in this one.

10 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Either way I still see Pitt winning the game.

Agreed. Pittsburgh is playing well. with decent QB play now, their entire O is rejuvenated. Their D and ST has always been elite.

if they make the playoffs as a 7, I really don’t want to face them. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. Pittsburgh is playing well. with decent QB play now, their entire O is rejuvenated. Their D and ST has always been elite.

if they make the playoffs as a 7, I really don’t want to face them. 

At some point Rudolph will turn into a pumpkin again. Will it be against the Ravens? We'll see

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.