Will the Chiefs Fire Reid?

hondo in seattle

Reid is 9-6 with an elite QB.  Inexcusable.  

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.  And, yes, the situation with McD isn't exactly equivalent.  Reid's earned patience with his trophies.  McD doesn't have that cred yet.  Still, they're both 9-6 this season despite having great QBs.  

The Head Coach is important and should be held accountable for the performance of his team.  But I like to remember that he's just one piece of a large organization that includes a lot of immature 20-something-year-old kids.  I wouldn't judge Rembrandt on one of his brushstrokes.  Likewise, I don't judge a coach on one season or one game, let alone 13 seconds of a game.  

Vince Lombardi, Belichick, Walsh... all the great coaches suffered through disappointing seasons whether it was because of injuries, bad luck, poor player chemistry, a weak roster, or whatever.   Having a good QB doesn't automatically mean a team should appear in the SB.  If only it were that simple.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 16
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

If you get a team that makes playoffs yearly, you don't change a lot at coaching imo.

You crazies that think ousting McDermott will get us a Lombardi are bonkers.  We should be ECSTATIC to have such a coach here.  Especially given the fact coaches aren't just around in mass quantities.   Good ones that is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.  And, yes, the situation with McD isn't exactly equivalent.  Reid's earned patience with his trophies.  McD doesn't have that cred yet.  Still, they're both 9-6 this season despite having great QBs.  

The Head Coach is important and should be held accountable for the performance of his team.  But I like to remember that he's just one piece of a large organization that includes a lot of immature 20-something-year-old kids.  I wouldn't judge Rembrandt on one of his brushstrokes.  Likewise, I don't judge a coach on one season or one game, let alone 13 seconds of a game.  

Vince Lombardi, Belichick, Walsh... all the great coaches suffered through disappointing seasons whether it was because of injuries, bad luck, poor player chemistry, a weak roster, or whatever.   Having a good QB doesn't automatically mean a team should appear in the SB.  If only it were that simple.  

McD for us has had huge coaching gaffes in literally every season we’ve been in the playoffs, hasn’t learned anything or improved after 7 years here with blunder after blunder and many of them being the same kind, and has always had a defense here that folds the majority of the time in big spots. He’s been bailed out a ton by #17. 

He’s also whiffed on 2 out of 3 OC hires with Brady to be determined. What happens if Brady’s good and gets hired away too, we’re back in the same boat of the offense with our franchise player hinging on who he hires again? 

And yes as you mentioned, this can not compare with Reid having gone to 3 SB’s and winning 2 along with 2 AFC title game appearances. We have 1 AFC title game appearance and 3 early exits. 

If we don’t make a great run to win it all this year, that’s 6 years of Allen with no ring…that absolutely is very disappointing. 

8 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

If you get a team that makes playoffs yearly, you don't change a lot at coaching imo.

You crazies that think ousting McDermott will get us a Lombardi are bonkers.  We should be ECSTATIC to have such a coach here.  Especially given the fact coaches aren't just around in mass quantities.   Good ones that is.

Just making it to the playoffs is not the standard if you have a generational talent at QB. 

We would be ecstatic about having a good coach if we did actually have one. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

McD for us has had huge coaching gaffes in literally every season we’ve been in the playoffs, hasn’t learned anything or improved after 7 years here with blunder after blunder and many of them being the same kind, and has always had a defense here that folds the majority of the time in big spots. He’s been bailed out a ton by #17. 

He’s also whiffed on 2 out of 3 OC hires with Brady to be determined. What happens if Brady’s good and gets hired away too, we’re back in the same boat of the offense with our franchise player hinging on who he hires again? 

And yes as you mentioned, this can not compare with Reid having gone to 3 SB’s and winning 2 along with 2 AFC title game appearances. We have 1 AFC title game appearance and 3 early exits. 

If we don’t make a great run to win it all this year, that’s 6 years of Allen with no ring…that absolutely is very disappointing. 

I respect your opinion, but disagree to a point.

Most of your "gaffes" you speak of are hind sight/monday morning qb calls.  And you mention "blunder after blunder" .  Being a bit harsh maybe?

There are things, other than a head coach, which dictate how a season will go:  personnel, injuries, schedule, weather, how personnel actually performs, etc.  

Just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 6

10 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

When Reid was HC in Philly, he made a lot of the same mistakes that McDermott makes now and was fired despite having a more impressive resume.

When Reid was fired from Philly, he didn't have a Allen/Mahomes elite qb.  McDermott has had Josh for 7 years and still struggles to get beyond the divisional round. I admire and appreciate the team rallying around McD after the Dunne piece.  But you can't just assume his game management issues will just magically disappear.  We should've won at least 1 championship with Josh.  

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Just making it to the playoffs is not the standard if you have a generational talent at QB. 

So by your metric, we should have had 7 Lombardi's by now?  (can't recall 6th or 7th Allen year).

Sometimes its the PLAYERS that don't perform in a given moment.  Not the coaches.

I think if you have an elite qb, like Allen, the standard IS indeed making the playoffs yearly.  Asking to win a lombardi  yearly is unreasonable. albeit the difficult goal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

22 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

When Reid was HC in Philly, he made a lot of the same mistakes that McDermott makes now and was fired despite having a more impressive resume.

Yeah, the fans ran his ass off and were thrilled when he left, he could "never win the big game" bs.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

When Reid was fired from Philly, he didn't have a Allen/Mahomes elite qb.  McDermott has had Josh for 7 years and still struggles to get beyond the divisional round. I admire and appreciate the team rallying around McD after the Dunne piece.  But you can't just assume his game management issues will just magically disappear.  We should've won at least 1 championship with Josh.  

Reid chose to move on from a QB who led his team to the playoffs, while throwing for over 4000 yards, 26 TDs and 5 INTs, in favor of Mahomes.

McDermott opted to start Nathan Peterman over Josh Allen.  Maybe McDermott thought that the second start for Peterman would be a charm?

Game management has been an adventure with McDermott, and I don't think that ownership particularly cares.  Question is, will McDermott learn from his mistakes?  He's shown a propensity for stubbornness, to the detriment of the team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

I still can't get past 13 seconds. 

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

You are correct, I have had some misgivings with Sean, but all in all he has been a good HC for the Bills, he is lucky he has Beane bringing in the D talent this season…, 😁👍 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Crazies? Bit of a reach there bud… Most fans who wanted McD gone was during the team spiraling out of control and being sub .500 as a result of coaching errors and issues. Don’t think that is being crazy when you have a top 3 QB in the league with repeated failures in the playoffs to boot. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As it stands McD is one of 3 coaches in the Super Bowl era who has a .600 or better regular season record and no conference championship. He is 4-5 in the playoffs. 4-4 with Allen. Reid is 11-3 with 3 AFC Championships and two Super Bowls with Mahomes. One is trending toward Marty and the other is trending toward football immortality. Comparing the two is just lazy to be honest. Unless you want to compare Philadelphia Andy Reid, but even then he got an NFC championship in his 6th season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD is an above average coach, with that said, I have a few gripes but I agree he would be difficult to upgrade.

He's a defensive coach which means Allen will swap systems somewhat after every great year because his OC will likely get a HC job somewhere, that's a disadvantage. 

As a defensive coach we have lost most of our Heartbreakers under him due to defensive shortcomings, another bad look.

You would hope he could make his defense work with roleplayers and 1 or 2 superstars. With the way we draft and hand out contracts that seems untrue, which is unfortunate because it takes away from playmakers on offense.

So like i said he's hard to replace but he has a few deficiencies that I feel have to be cleaned up. Allen hides alot of problems on offense but he won't always be able to.

Do I think we can throw a dart at any offensive coach and get better? Absolutely not. But someone like the Lions OC would be tempting with what he's done there.

• Agree 1

Re: Reid having 6 losses. - I think this is exactly what the league is trying to do.  They would be thrilled if 20 teams still had playoff hopes in week 18.  with 2 weeks to go they have 23 teams still alive for playoff berths, the "best" team has 3 losses, only 9 teams have 9 or more wins through week 16.

With the salary cap; the draft which rewards the worst teams; and now the unbalanced schedule, having all these teams in the mix, means sellouts in December and higher TV ratings.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

If Rembrandt takes a knee before finishing the sistern chapel or forgot the wiener on the statue of David they would fire his arse!  😜

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

So by your metric, we should have had 7 Lombardi's by now?  (can't recall 6th or 7th Allen year).

One blowout AFCCG in five years of elite qb play is unacceptable.  I think you’re just being obtuse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Misleading Title]

Meanwhile...  I awoke today in a world where Mike McDaniel has as many playoff wins (0) on his resume as Josh McDaniels.  In fact, his playoff record is identical to that of Brandon Staley (0-1).  An elite QB entitles you to nothing.  People here are talking about McDermott wasting 7 years of elite QB by Allen.  For real?  Allen is in the middle of his 6th season.  The first 2 of those seasons were the polar opposite of elite QB play.  They were erratic as hell.  For the realistic among us, Josh broke out as an elite QB in 2020.  McDermott is in the middle of his 4th season of having elite QB play.  And he has at least 1 playoff win in each of the first 3 of those years with the story of year 4 yet to be written.  Let the story play out.  

Edited by cwater10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

We would be ecstatic about having a good coach if we did actually have one. 

“Oh, Josh, you’re my hero” 🤮 🤮

This is the same guy who threw a pick in 9 consecutive games this season. Not to mention the fumbles. 
#17 has been bailed out by Mcd’s defense so many times it’s unreal. And not just this season. Josh is a turnover machine. A lot of Josh’s late game comebacks are due to his turnovers earlier in games. Some of you still sniffing Josh’s jock. Stop, it’ll make you dopey. 

• Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

This is the kind of thinking that can screw you. With the Bills  in particular,  with all those years of zero playoff appearances,  it's easy to look back on what we were before McDermott and say we're better sticking where we are, but if that leads to a Marvin Lewis situation what is it really achieving? 

15 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Here is the problem, Philly canned Reid despite 4 NFCC appearances and 1 of those a superbowl, because they knew they weren't going to win one with him.  They were right.  

Many of us feel the same about McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Here is the problem, Philly canned Reid despite 4 NFCC appearances and 1 of those a superbowl, because they knew they weren't going to win one with him.  They were right.  

Many of us feel the same about McDermott. 

LOL, that is absolutely impossible to know.

I will say it was nice to see the Bills do everything right after the last Cook fumble against the Chargers, and come up big in all phases/coaching decisions to close out the game. Have to credit McD and the staff for improvement in late game management there, and hope that continues to where we can start calling it a trend!

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

THe topic here is McDermott as a HC and not the DC

I don't understand the point.

When discussing Reid, McDaniel's, Shanahan, etc.  you certainly factor in offensive scheme which they are responsible for.  Same goes for McD and his D, which has been very good this year in the face of many devastating injuries.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Philly canned Pederson within 3 years of WINNING a Superbowl with a backup QB.

After he went 4-11-1 and refused to fire his oc.  That's a far cry from anything McD has done.

Everytime this comes up I ask which year did the Bills lose in the playoffs with the better team? There isn't one.

Allen is one of the top 3 qbs in the league.  The Bills have only lost to the other 2 top guys.

At least 1 guy in the thread is being honest.  He hasnt moved past 13 seconds.  I feel everyone who wants him fired is in the same boat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, section122 said:

After he went 4-11-1 and refused to fire his oc.  That's a far cry from anything McD has done.

Everytime this comes up I ask which year did the Bills lose in the playoffs with the better team? There isn't one.

Allen is one of the top 3 qbs in the league.  The Bills have only lost to the other 2 top guys.

At least 1 guy in the thread is being honest.  He hasnt moved past 13 seconds.  I feel everyone who wants him fired is in the same boat.

Yep, and the Bills were never the best team in the conference.  Not sure when they were "expected" to win one.

And this is year 4 with "elite" Josh as everyone likes to count every year as if he came into the league this way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.