Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality?

oldmanfan

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Bailey Zappe and The undermanned 3-11 patriots just went into denver who had an extra day to prepare and beat them essentially knocking them out of the playoffs. 

This is the nfl in 2023.  If the bills are not careful they will be in the same situation next week with new england.  The bills will need super josh to win next week.

I bet the giants are going to put a scare into the eagles tomorrow also.

They’ve clearly figured out a couple of things on offense since the 6-0 loss against the Chargers.

21, 17, 26 scored in their last three. 

And this game was without Schuster and Stevenson. 

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Ok, to all flaming me, I’ll take the hits.  Lucky was the wrong word; as Shaw said fortunate would have been better.  I just want the Bills to win it all like everyone here, and when they play like they did yesterday they won’t make it.  

I still remember sitting with my dad and brother just shy of my 5th birthday, at the first game at the Rockpile in 1960.  I had the joy of watching them win the two AFL championships, the misery of the late 60’s and early 70’s, the joy then of OJ in his prime.  I’ve had the misery of coaches like Hank Bullough and Rex Ryan, and the joy of Lou Saban and Marv and maybe Sean.   The misery of GMs like Harvey Johnson and Tom Donahue and the joy of Polian and Beane.  The Super Bowl years, and the playoff run now with Josh leading the way. I’ve seen it all and lived it all.

And the constant through all this is the fan base.  All of us love our Bills even when they drive us batty.  Last night’s game drove me batty so I reacted by my post.  And other Mafia took me to task.  And that is as it should be.

Merry Christmas to my fellow fans.  Here’s to victory in ‘24!

I was 13 at the first game at the Rockpile in 1960.  Moved from Buffalo for good in '68, but I've been through it all, too.   

We just keep waiting.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

So far the only teams that look good consistently are Baltimore, San Francisco and Cleveland. 

The Bills defense has been good but their offense is very inconsistent from game to game. 

Oh, yeah, I wasn't including the Bills in the list.  But the definitive list isn't determined until the end of February, and we aren't there yet.   

The fact is that inconsistent from game to game really doesn't matter.  Winning in December and January is what matters, and the Bills won Saturday night.  Miami and New England won, too, and both of them will be tough opponents.   They're both beating playoff contending teams. 

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

A scare.  WTF does that mean.  Are you saying they will win?  Because that is all that matters in sports.

Did you watch football the past 2 says?  How many teams fighting for a playoff spot lost?

I count 7 so far.  But the Bills won and somehow you make it sound bad.

LOL.

what are you talking about?  Where are you getting anything about making the bills win sound bad..

my posts are the exact opposite.

On 12/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, Scott7975 said:

And so far no one has answered this despite a few people insisting it was lucky... what was lucky?  We outplayed them despite being on the referees naughty list and turning the ball over but nowhere in the game did we get "lucky."

That is ridiculous, because in the pregame they even mentioned what it would take for the Chargers to beat the Bills, and specifically mentioned that the Chargers would have to have a +3 or +4 turnover ratio to do so. They did because they happened to recover 2/3 fumbles while we recovered NONE of their fumbles, which is a result of luck.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

On 12/24/2023 at 6:37 AM, stevestojan said:

Will it make you feel better if a group of us all admit we got lucky? 

We have been on the opposite end of “luck” more times than any of us can count; we were due. Weird how many times we say the chiefs “got lucky.” Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams blame bad luck when they lose. 

The refs should just give us a Lombardi to make everyone here happy.  I’m sure some fans would still find a way to complain.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They’ve clearly figured out a couple of things on offense since the 6-0 loss against the Chargers.

21, 17, 26 scored in their last three. 

And this game was without Schuster and Stevenson. 

They had their best offensive game of the year against McD and the Bills. I am sure he won't want to see a repeat of that.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:41 AM, 4th&long said:

If Toney’s foot isn’t over the line we are not in the playoffs right now.

You realize Allen would have got the ball back with 1:12 left and all 3 TOs right? 

Why do people try to make up this narrative that there was no time left on the clock when this happened. 

KC of all teams should not have thought they won anything considering Allen scored 3 TDs in the last 2 mins of the previous 2 games in Arrowhead.

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You mean his entire body except his back foot was in the neutral zone.

And not to mention at least the 5th time THAT game he was egregiously Offside...and their RT was lining up in the backfield the whole game 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They had their best offensive game of the year against McD and the Bills. I am sure he won't want to see a repeat of that.

You realize Allen would have got the ball back with 1:12 left and all 3 TOs right? 

Why do people try to make up this narrative that there was no time left on the clock when this happened. 

KC of all teams should not have thought they won anything considering Allen scored 3 TDs in the last 2 mins of the previous 2 games in Arrowhead.

And not to mention at least the 5th time THAT game he was egregiously Offside...and their RT was lining up in the backfield the whole game 

The original post is downright cringy.  I just spent all weekend watching all kinds of “how could the team with more to play for not beat/throttle/blowout the lesser team” games, many of which the lesser team won (helping the Bills along the way).  Curious how Chiefs, Jags, and Colts fans are feeling. Brutally ugly losses against inferior opponents. 

This is the NFL. Find a way to win and enjoy the ride. Enough of the desire for style points - it’s tiring and delusional. There are no AP pollsters to please. Who cares. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, oldmanfan said:

Yes, my point of view.  Others disagree which is fine.

Your point of view is fine, we agree you're entitled.  But "reality" means "actual or true".   Phenomenon like the sun rising, an accident on the road, a squirrel or squirrels biting through the holiday lights wound around the trees in our front yard - those are reality. 

Drivers suck around this time of year due to holiday stress and trying to do too much for the holidays thus causing accidents, or squirrels get drawn to our yard by the birdfeeders then get territorial about the trees, is my opinion or point of view.

Nothing personal, it just irritates me when people try to press their point of view (to which we agree, you are entitled) on other people by telling them to "accept reality" as in your OP "Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality"

No, it's not "reality" it's "your point of view"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

On 12/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

I'll admit they did not play their best but still were able to win.  Overall they are what their record says they are- a team in the hunt for the Super Bowl.    

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Agree 1

Reality.

1. Bills beat the Chargers 24-22 to improve to 9-6.

2. Bills playoff chances are much better now than they were 3 weeks ago when they were 6-6.

3. Bills still have work to do against the Pats and Dolphins, but they have been getting help on the out-of-town scoreboard for the most part to improve their playoff chances.

4. Go Bills and Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Tim Tindale said:

The original post is downright cringy.  I just spent all weekend watching all kinds of “how could the team with more to play for not beat/throttle/blowout the lesser team” games, many of which the lesser team won (helping the Bills along the way).  Curious how Chiefs, Jags, and Colts fans are feeling. Brutally ugly losses against inferior opponents. 

This is the NFL. Find a way to win and enjoy the ride. Enough of the desire for style points - it’s tiring and delusional. There are no AP pollsters to please. Who cares. 

This is reality.  Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and KC all arguably played inferior teams this week - and lost. 

For Cincy, Jake Browning aka "who is this *****in' guy?" against Jax, Indy, and Minn, came down to earth with a *thump* throwing 3 picks and fumbling.  In the Minshew/Heinicke bowl, 'ol Masculine Mustache threw a pick at the worst time. KC looked awful vs the Raiders, a 6-8 team lead by a 4th round rookie from that football powerhouse, Purdue: Pacheco fumbled, Mahomes threw a pick. 

And while it's two top tier teams battling it out, the Ravens came into the 49ers home, dug up their dirt, and planted daisies in it which they fertilized with 4 "Purdy Good" interceptions and some Christian McCaffrey tears.

Reality is that lesser teams beat good teams every week.  Especially at this time of the year, teams who are out of it play free and loose to delight in playing "spoiler", and top teams start looking past this week's game, past the end of the season towards playoffs.

The Bills played badly enough to lose, with TWO (not one) Cook fumbles and a bad Josh Allen pick. 

They didn't lose, like Cincy Indy Jax, KC, and the 9ers did: they won.  That's reality, The End.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Your point of view is fine, we agree you're entitled.  But "reality" means "actual or true".   Phenomenon like the sun rising, an accident on the road, a squirrel or squirrels biting through the holiday lights wound around the trees in our front yard - those are reality. 

Drivers suck around this time of year due to holiday stress and trying to do too much for the holidays thus causing accidents, or squirrels get drawn to our yard by the birdfeeders then get territorial about the trees, is my opinion or point of view.

Nothing personal, it just irritates me when people try to press their point of view (to which we agree, you are entitled) on other people by telling them to "accept reality" as in your OP "Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality"

No, it's not "reality" it's "your point of view"

Thanks for the input.  I respect your posts.  I was frustrated by their play and reacted poorly.

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/24/2023 at 9:41 AM, 4th&long said:

If Toney’s foot isn’t over the line we are not in the playoffs right now.

If whoever the 12th man that wasn't supposed to be on the field gets off the damn field against the broncos, we control our own destiny for the division.

Funny how you can probably pinpoint one little thing in every game to say "what if". It is a game of inches after all.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Agree 1

I started a thread about fans not accepting reality earlier this week.  On reflection I regret doing so in such a strident manner and thus offer my apologies to all.  While I do think we were fortunate to win, my choice of words were poor (especially saying they were lucky) and beneath the standard I expect for myself.

I have watched the Bills since opening day 1960 as a 4 year old with my dad and brother at the Rockpile for the first game.  Hence my user name.  I still take great joy in celebrating the 2 AFL championships and hope to celebrate us bringing home a Lombardi while I still have time on the planet.  Those passions fuel all of us here, and sometimes get the best of us.  It did so to me earlier this week.

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

This is reality.  Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and KC all arguably played inferior teams this week - and lost. 

For Cincy, Jake Browning aka "who is this *****in' guy?" against Jax, Indy, and Minn, came down to earth with a *thump* throwing 3 picks and fumbling.  In the Minshew/Heinicke bowl, 'ol Masculine Mustache threw a pick at the worst time. KC looked awful vs the Raiders, a 6-8 team lead by a 4th round rookie from that football powerhouse, Purdue: Pacheco fumbled, Mahomes threw a pick. 

And while it's two top tier teams battling it out, the Ravens came into the 49ers home, dug up their dirt, and planted daisies in it which they fertilized with 4 "Purdy Good" interceptions and some Christian McCaffrey tears.

Reality is that lesser teams beat good teams every week.  Especially at this time of the year, teams who are out of it play free and loose to delight in playing "spoiler", and top teams start looking past this week's game, past the end of the season towards playoffs.

The Bills played badly enough to lose, with TWO (not one) Cook fumbles and a bad Josh Allen pick. 

They didn't lose, like Cincy Indy Jax, KC, and the 9ers did: they won.  That's reality, The End.

And the Eagles almost gave away their game to the Giants at home with Hurts throwing a pick 6 while the Eagles were in the Giants red zone.

• Agree 3

On 12/24/2023 at 9:49 AM, oldmanfan said:

So you’re telling me not to think what I think, but complain that I’m telling you what to think?  Right.

Not at all, you are just wrong in your opinion, yes opinions can be wrong.

the number of one score victories over the last two weeks says you are wrong in your assumptions/opinion on this game. Nuthin but luv oldmanfan, 

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills have a uncanny knack of playing down to the level of the team they are playing against, for some unknown reason if they could just stay where they were playing against either of the last 2 games prior to the Chargers they would go on a long play off run but for what ever reason they don't .

They need that killer instinct they have the weapons they just need to be more consistent with their play .

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Thanks for the input.  I respect your posts.  I was frustrated by their play and reacted poorly.

I think we were all frustrated by their play.  I expected the Bills to struggle a bit - when players who could, potentially, play in a critical game (Questionable status) are held out (Epenesa, DaQuan Jones, Ty Johnson etc), I think players "take a message" from that.  But I didn't expect the Bills to make Dingleberry errors (Cook 2 fumbles 1 loss, Harty a muff, Allen a bad pick), and I did expect them to assert control. 

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

If whoever the 12th man that wasn't supposed to be on the field gets off the damn field against the broncos, we control our own destiny for the division.

Right On (pretty sure Leonard Floyd said it was him, and he is the only Bill with double digit sacks so....).  There are always a handful of called or uncalled penalties, made or missed plays that can swing a game, and the Bills have had 5 close games that swung against them this season.

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Funny how you can probably pinpoint one little thing in every game to say "what if". It is a game of inches after all.

Yes, exactly.  We can even do the Chiefs game and say if the Chiefs had been properly called for a hands to the face penalty to Josh Allen on the Bills prior drive, it would have extended the drive and the Chiefs aren't on the field for Toney's faux pas.

• Agree 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:34 AM, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

But you see that is what makes the great players like Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen great they can have those few incredible throws that win you a football game. Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan had bad games but in the 4th quarter he was money. At the end of the day it is W for Win or L for Loss. You don’t get extra credit for style points. I realized that long ago as a Buffalo fan. The Buffalo Braves had style points they were Los Angeles Lakers showtime before Kareem Magic and James Worthy. But the Boston Celtics John Havlicek, Dave Cowens or a Charlie Scott would heat up in the 4th quarter and beat the style point Buffalo Braves at the end of the day it is W for Win or L for a Loss anything else doesn’t matter in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

But you see that is what makes the great players like Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen great they can have those few incredible throws that win you a football game. Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan had bad games but in the 4th quarter he was money. At the end of the day it is W for Win or L for Loss. You don’t get extra credit for style points. I realized that long ago as a Buffalo fan. The Buffalo Braves had style points they were Los Angeles Lakers showtime before Kareem Magic and James Worthy. But the Boston Celtics John Havlicek, Dave Cowens or a Charlie Scott would heat up in the 4th quarter and beat the style point Buffalo Braves at the end of the day it is W for Win or L for a Loss anything else doesn’t matter in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Yep, those Celtics would heat up in the 4th quarter just in time for Mendy Rudolph to take over on their benalf.

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think we were all frustrated by their play.  I expected the Bills to struggle a bit - when players who could, potentially, play in a critical game (Questionable status) are held out (Epenesa, DaQuan Jones, Ty Johnson etc), I think players "take a message" from that.  But I didn't expect the Bills to make Dingleberry errors (Cook 2 fumbles 1 loss, Harty a muff, Allen a bad pick), and I did expect them to assert control. 

Right On (pretty sure Leonard Floyd said it was him, and he is the only Bill with double digit sacks so....).  There are always a handful of called or uncalled penalties, made or missed plays that can swing a game, and the Bills have had 5 close games that swung against them this season.

Yes, exactly.  We can even do the Chiefs game and say if the Chiefs had been properly called for a hands to the face penalty to Josh Allen on the Bills prior drive, it would have extended the drive and the Chiefs aren't on the field for Toney's faux pas.

While Cook got credited with two fumbles the first his knee was down. Had the Bills lost that it would have been overturned on review. But absolutely it still illustrates the point re. Irresponsibility with the football.

18 hours ago, T master said:

Bills have a uncanny knack of playing down to the level of the team they are playing against, for some unknown reason

I’m not Josh’s psychologist but it reminds me of the student that studies efficiency is high under a deadline pressure. Bills lost MANY 1 score games simply because they ran out of time (cram home work at study hall). Perfectly capable of win but didn’t turn on the jets until time was too short. 

18 hours ago, T master said:

The Bills have a uncanny knack of playing down to the level of the team they are playing against, for some unknown reason if they could just stay where they were playing against either of the last 2 games prior to the Chargers they would go on a long play off run but for what ever reason they don't .

They need that killer instinct they have the weapons they just need to be more consistent with their play .

“Playing down to competition” is just a back-handed compliment…a throwaway line like “at their best they can beat anyone” (which applies to lots of teams).

Bills are an average team among the league’s parity. But it should make for a very interesting playoff tourney.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bills are an average team among the league’s parity. But it should make for a very interesting playoff tourney.

I'm not sure that's my description of the Bills. I think the Bills are a good team who still stand above the average parity level of the league but who are capable of shooting themselves in one or both feet at any moment. On the days when the Bills are able to get out of their own way they blow teams away. Good teams as well as bad. They just need to avoid the self destruct button for six games and they could legitimately win a Lombardi. But we have struggled to string clean games together for a long time now.

On 12/24/2023 at 6:43 AM, RunTheBall said:

We were sloppy not lucky.

Overcoming 3 turnovers and a ref crew who kept the game close for Peacock was more than luck.

It’s a W. That’s all that matters. Nice to see we are coming out on the positive end of some of these close games.

We are on to New England*

Exactly! Earlier in the year this game would have been a loss. They found a way to win because they are the better team despite having a case of the fumbles and not being able to come up with a turnover of their own. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

By “average team among the league’s parity” (lol who talks like this? Are you Frasier Crane?) he means collectively ranked top 5 and rising by people who actually know things.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nelius said:

By “average team among the league’s parity” (lol who talks like this? Are you Frasier Crane?) he means collectively ranked top 5 and rising by people who actually know things.

I gotta agree….a truly average team would have considerably more 2+ score losses.  We feel like a good/great team that has had some bad luck in close games this season imo most notably the eagles game 

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I gotta agree….a truly average team would have considerably more 2+ score losses.  We feel like a good/great team that has had some bad luck in close games this season imo most notably the eagles game 

A truly average team wouldn’t be locked into a playoff spot with two weeks to go. For all of his attempts to sound like a junior college English lit professor, that boy Airseven simply can’t math.

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

How do you know what he means?  You are talking to a fellow who "talks like this".....(and don't dis off Jr College English professors like that)

If YOU mean "ranked top 5 and rising by people who actually know things", who are these people who actually know things?  Media pundits?  And what criteria do they use?  The Mark I eyeball?

Bills currently #6 offense on points.  #3 for NY/A (aren't you a fan of that?).  #3 for Y/P.  #4 defense on points.  #5 for NY/A against.  With these objective stats plus a very close OT loss against the Eagles, dismantling the Cowboys, and earlier in season solid win against the Dolphins (all top teams), it's a bit difficult to defend a ranking by "people who actually know things" that places the Bills as an "average team among the league's parity" or even outside the top 5 teams.

Edited by Beck Water

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How do you know what he means?  You are talking to a fellow who "talks like this".....(and don't dis off Jr College English professors like that)

If YOU mean "ranked top 5 and rising by people who actually know things", who are these people who actually know things?  Media pundits?  And what criteria do they use?  The Mark I eyeball?

Bills currently #6 offense on points.  #3 for NY/A (aren't you a fan of that?).  #3 for Y/P.  #4 defense on points.  #5 for NY/A against.  With these objective stats plus a very close OT loss against the Eagles, dismantling the Cowboys, and earlier in season solid win against the Dolphins (all top teams), it's a bit difficult to defend a ranking by "people who actually know things" that places the Bills as an "average team among the league's parity" or even outside the top 5 teams.

I mean have you seen his posts? I think anybody who has been here for a week has a solid idea of what he’s really trying to get at.

Now I know it’s your duty to provide 1000+ words minimum to every page, but do you honestly think the Bills are currently only an average team?

On 12/26/2023 at 11:11 AM, T master said:

Have we? Don't we have the most blowout games over the last 2 years? I don't agree with this sentiment. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.