Leonard Floyd is what Von Miller was supposed to be

ChronicAndKnuckles

It’s a freakin shame this guy doesn’t get more national coverage. Leonard Floyd has been the best player on this defense since Milano went down with Ed Oliver a close 2nd. He’s already got 10 sacks w/ 5 games still remaining. Should have more if not for the blatant holding by the Eagles. The guy just produces everywhere he goes and yet the media hardly mentions him even though he’s having a career year on a team 2nd in the league in sacks. It’s great to have players on defense that the opp offense needs to game plan around. Say what you want about the Bills, McD, Beane, whoever, but their D-line has finally come to fruition. If they can somehow squeak into the WC then they will be a very dangerous team. I just get that 2012 Giants vibe for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Drew21PA said:

I’ll disagree 

I love Floyd but Ed Oliver has been fire 🔥 

bernard is my second 

then floyd…that front 4 as a whole has been great this season that’s been the biggest improvement this season imo

Definitely valid. You could really make a case for all 3. The d-line has a lot of cohesion and guys feeding off each other. Floyd is successful bc Ed Oliver is playing at an all pro level and vice versa 

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Definitely valid. You could really make a case for all 3. The d-line has a lot of cohesion and guys feeding off each other. Floyd is successful bc Ed Oliver is playing at an all pro level and vice versa 

I am still in shock really at Ed Oliver’s jump this season 

glad he has become who we all were going out of Houston 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

our D has the highest sack percentage (% of defensive snaps where they record a sack) in the NFL!

Doubt they get more than a couple on Mahomes tomorrow, but hopefully we at least hurry him into some bad decisions.

Mahomes has played very mediocre the past 5 games against much lesser defenses. He’s in for a real surprise tomorrow. McD needs to be aggressive 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It’s a freakin shame this guy doesn’t get more national coverage. Leonard Floyd has been the best player on this defense since Milano went down with Ed Oliver a close 2nd. He’s already got 10 sacks w/ 5 games still remaining. Should have more if not for the blatant holding by the Eagles. The guy just produces everywhere he goes and yet the media hardly mentions him even though he’s having a career year on a team 2nd in the league in sacks. It’s great to have players on defense that the opp offense needs to game plan around. Say what you want about the Bills, McD, Beane, whoever, but their D-line has finally come to fruition. If they can somehow squeak into the WC then they will be a very dangerous team. I just get that 2012 Giants vibe for some reason. 

Craziest thing is if Von didn't get injured last year I would say there is a fair chance Floyd is playing for a different team this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

I am still in shock really at Ed Oliver’s jump this season 

glad he has become who we all were going out of Houston 

That contract extension seemed like it had such massive potential for disaster. 

Happy to see Ed's one of the few players who was able to elevate his game after getting the payday. 

• Like (+1) 6

Based on the state of the DL, I think Floyd is likely done in Buffalo.

Such a shame, because his level of production makes us want more years from him. Although the reality is, our DL is thinning, and I imagine Beane will prioritize bringing in more bodies than retaining Floyd. 

With AJE a FA, and Groot with a single year left on his deal, guys like Lawson and Von emptying the tank, idt we can sink any more resources into a future 32 year old pass rusher. We just don’t have the luxury any more.

Pair this will the issues of defensive tackle depth (Oliver the only DT under contract 2024)….we are going to need to bring in younger/cheaper talent, and guys like Floyd just won’t be able to be retained.

Id love if they can work something out, but I am guessing Floyd seeks one final multi year deal through FA, or tries to link up with another contender. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

Floyd is on a one year contract, I wonder if it pushes him more. Oliver is really impressive as he got paid and yet performs like he too is on a one year deal.

Floyd has been great, too bad he might go. Epenesa has been quite impressive too, who expected that? Hard to not resign the guy, but only one good year it's hard to gauge his $$ value.

The biggest positive surprise remains Bernard.

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It's a shame we spent so much on Von for so little in return.   Hindsight being 20/20, it would have been more cost-effective to sign Floyd and a supporting cast.  And then use the savings to create a better OL/Bodyguard for Josh.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Floyd is on a one year contract, I wonder if it pushes him more. Oliver is really impressive as he got paid and yet performs like he too is on a one year deal.

Floyd has been great, too bad he might go. Epenesa has been quite impressive too, who expected that? Hard to not resign the guy, but only one good year it's hard to gauge his $$ value.

The biggest positive surprise remains Bernard.

If we can somehow get out of Von's contract,  we could easily sign both Floyd & AJE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

and we should be getting Daquan Jones back here within a few weeks.

Disclaimer: I work with his cousin who was in Dallas for a work holiday party. We got to talking about football and DaQuan was visiting family on the bye week, said Cowboys game was his target. I can't verify other than his cousin telling me that. That would be huge

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 7

2 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

That contract extension seemed like it had such massive potential for disaster. 

Happy to see Ed's one of the few players who was able to elevate his game after getting the payday. 

I felt the same way

ss folks say on this board “I’ll eat crow” Ed !

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Von tore his ACL. Von would’ve been better than what Floyd is doing.

Uh, yeah, and that's the problem.  Sometimes the best ability is availability.  Full strength Von Miller has not been available and instead has been a huge money pit of disappointment.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Uh, yeah, and that's the problem.  Sometimes the best ability is availability.  Full strength Von Miller has not been available and instead has been a huge money pit of disappointment.

Do you remember when Tre FINALLY came back from his ACL? Being able to step on the field does not mean you will be 100%, or even close. Von had 8.5 sacks before the injury and looked like a great addition, possibly the difference-maker we needed. Then he got hurt. It happens. You can argue it was foreseeable because of his age, but it was just lousy luck. 

People wanted a bold move to bring home a trophy. They took a big swing and got burned. Again, it happens. All the people who say “one before I die” have to realize there are consequences when you swing for the fences, for better or for worse. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Disclaimer: I work with his cousin who was in Dallas for a work holiday party. We got to talking about football and DaQuan was visiting family on the bye week, said Cowboys game was his target. I can't verify other than his cousin telling me that. That would be huge

Given that the Cowboys game is just over a week from now and DaQuon hasn’t been activated from IR yet, I’d say that’s not going to happen.

That said, it’s nice to hear he’s trying to come back this year. Maybe he can come back for the final stretch if there’s still a chance at the playoffs. That would be real sweet.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Damn, you dump on Von Miller but make no direct mention of him in the actual post.  The man had a major injury, but was every bit of effective when he was healthy. 

You won't give the benefit of the doubt?

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I'd think if that was the case he'd be on his active cycle that doesn't take up a roster spot already wouldn't he?

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you remember when Tre FINALLY came back from his ACL? Being able to step on the field does not mean you will be 100%, or even close. Von had 8.5 sacks before the injury and looked like a great addition, possibly the difference-maker we needed. Then he got hurt. It happens. You can argue it was foreseeable because of his age, but it was just lousy luck. 

People wanted a bold move to bring home a trophy. They took a big swing and got burned. Again, it happens. All the people who say “one before I die” have to realize there are consequences when you swing for the fences, for better or for worse. 

Yeah legal issues aside which is a big ***** thing, if Von could play at the level he was this D-line would be ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah legal issues aside which is a big ***** thing, if Von could play at the level he was this D-line would be ridiculous.

I have ZERO ideas, or even wild guesses, on how the legal stuff will run, but it sure would be nice to see how he looks in late January. 

Just one more kick in the gut, but I won’t let it make me crazy. I keep telling myself that. 

3 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Damn, you dump on Von Miller but make no direct mention of him in the actual post.  The man had a major injury, but was every bit of effective when he was healthy. 

You won't give the benefit of the doubt?

But he’s not healthy so that’s that. Injuries suck and a player can’t control that, but it’s next man up. I’m not dumping on him, it’s just the nature of the game. Floyd has stayed healthy (knock on wood) and has been extremely effective rushing the passer. 

12 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He demonstrates how unnecessary and foolish Von's huge K was.

What a mistake.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.