Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

Just now, Steptide said:

Litterally the worst time, or maybe best time for this to come out. Will the team rally around their coach? 

I probably would if I was playing.  I expect the same from most of our guys.  

You know the man, you know his character.  He's weird quirky, awkward, and apparently cringey as hell with some of his speeches.  He sounds like a micro manager.  He doesn't seem to accept criticism and blames others (who doesn't do this?)

But he cares about everyone in that organization as a person.  He's instilled a sense of purpose family and comradery within the organization that didn't exist prior to him.  If that's not enough to want to win for the man, i don't know what is.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Litterally the worst time, or maybe best time for this to come out. Will the team rally around their coach? 

I think we rally.  I mean, did we give up when the Americans dropped the Mother of All Bombs on Nangarhar province?!?! No, and we're not giving up now.  Because when the going gets tough...us Mujahadeen get tougher!! Bring it in guys...Allahu akbar on 3!!

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Whelp with Adam Schefter tweeting it out, we are now a national laughingstock.

Hello darkness my old friend...

This is a special kind of stink for this organization.

The more I think about it, I can’t believe he’d be that idiotic to even think about saying it.  

• Agree 3

Sean McDermott used the 9/11 terrorist attacks as a metaphor on how to build team camaraderie in a team meeting, according to a recent article by Ty Dunne

“He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection.”

One player reportedly said after exiting the meeting: “what the f—k just happened?”

He apologized today for this, saying: “My intent in the meeting that day was to discuss the importance of communication. ... I regretted mentioning 9/11 in my message that day, and I immediately apologized to the team."

Just now, peterpan said:

Reading this article was like reading this board following a lose.  Ouch.

It was a hit piece and seems personal. Dunne has a history of working at the Buffalo News and at B/R as a Bills beat writer. He even co-hosed a summer 2019 episode of One Bills Live. Then he left that the go out on his own, selling stories on Substack. The Bills have a policy of not issuing press credentials to "new media" outlets so Dunne lost his access to the team that he used to cover. Hence him spending probably months gathering interviews to take down McDermott. It's personal, as it was for every player and coach that he interviewed. He also did this to Aaron Rodgers a few years ago, FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

This article just confirmed a lot of things, about the malaise around our team. The loss of joy since Daboll left.

I honestly think making Brady HC and Babich DC would give us a stronger chance at a Super Bowl this year.

What a story it would be if McDermott is fired over this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's the other thing a public high school?!

Kid could be at Nichols

Wouldn’t be any better there.  Actually more rich d-bags at places like Nichols and Canisius.  Now, for a football guy, St. Francis might be an attractive place to send a child. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, davefan66 said:

The more I think about it, I can’t believe he’d be that idiotic to even think about saying it.  

I can. I used to teach college classes. Even if you plan a lecture, some strange things can come out of your mouth if you stray from the plan even a little bit. I never said anything that tone-deaf, but there are some lectures that I wish I could go back and edit. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

It's crazy because before the season I was of the mind that even another disappointing early playoff exit would be enough cause to fire McDermott. But now? The way this season has turned out, and a trending story more embarrassing than anything Rex Ryan ever did? Pegula would be nuts to bring this guy back next year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think we rally.  I mean, did we give up when the Americans dropped the Mother of All Bombs on Nangarhar province?!?! No, and we're not giving up now.  Because when the going gets tough...us Mujahadeen get tougher!! Bring it in guys...Allahu akbar on 3!!

Bravo. Bravo! 👏👏

You’ve won the internet today.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, I Am The Liquor said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/during-2021-team-meeting-sean-mcdermott-cited-9-11-attacks-as-example-of-teamwork

“At St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, N.Y., McDermott’s morning address began innocently enough,” Dunne writes. “He told the entire team they needed to come together. But then, sources on-hand say, he used a strange model: the terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection. One by one, McDermott started asking specific players in the room questions. ‘What tactics do you think they used to come together?’ A young player tried to methodically answer. ‘What do you think their biggest obstacle was?’ A veteran answered, ‘TSA,’ which mercifully lightened the mood.”

This is absolutely bat sh*t crazy if true lmfao.

Sort of like R. Lee Ermey's Parris Island DI admiring the outstanding marksmanship of ex Marine Lee Harvey Oswald.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, I Am The Liquor said:

You should check it out man.   Shane Gillis is absolutely hilarious, one of the funniest dudes doing it right now.   Also good friends with Gabe Davis.

He has a story about hanging out with Spencer Brown at Dave and Busters while out of his mind on mushrooms after tailgating a Bills game.  That last sentence is basically the whole story.  Hes the man.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

I can. I used to teach college classes. Even if you plan a lecture, some strange things can come out of your mouth if you stray from the plan even a little bit. I never said anything that tone-deaf, but there are some lectures that I wish I could go back and edit. 

I mean it's probably straight out of the first year curriculum at Helmand Province University 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Sean McDermott used the 9/11 terrorist attacks as a metaphor on how to build team camaraderie in a team meeting, according to a recent article by Ty Dunne

“He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection.”

One player reportedly said after exiting the meeting: “what the f—k just happened?”

He apologized today for this, saying: “My intent in the meeting that day was to discuss the importance of communication. ... I regretted mentioning 9/11 in my message that day, and I immediately apologized to the team."

McDermott is historically dumb.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

He has a story about hanging out with Spencer Brown at Dave and Busters while out of his mind on mushrooms after tailgating a Bills game.  That last sentence is basically the whole story.  Hes the man.

That is actually the video I was going to post but I couldn't find it lol.  That is an awesome story if it is still on YouTube somewhere man, a must listen.

Just now, HappyDays said:

It's crazy because before the season I was of the mind that even another disappointing early playoff exit would be enough cause to fire McDermott. But now? The way this season has turned out, and a trending story more embarrassing than anything Rex Ryan ever did? Pegula would be nuts to bring this guy back next year.

I agree.

As suggested elsewhere here, Pegula needs to do his due diligence and ferret out the truth.  If he has lost the team, then he has to go.  If he’s a national embarrassment, he most likely will go.  If the fans turn on him, tough sell for him to be back.  

No way you can spin this into something less damaging, especially the 9/11 story.  I can’t see him coming back.  The question is, if Pegula is of the opinion he has lost the team and the fans, does he immediately fire him or wait?  I’d image he’d wait.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I agree.

As suggested elsewhere here, Pegula needs to do his due diligence and ferret out the truth.  If he has lost the team, then he has to go.  If he’s a national embarrassment, he most likely will go.  If the fans turn on him, tough sell for him to be back.  

No way you can spin this into something less damaging, especially the 9/11 story.  I can’t see him coming back.  The question is, if Pegula is of the opinion he has lost the team and the fans, does he immediately fire him or wait?  I’d image he’d wait.

You almost have to wait minus a huge uproar. 

He’s the DC AND HC, so you have to fill those 2 spots and the 2 spots of the coaches you move. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Reading some of the comments made by McD over the last 6 weeks made me think that Dorsey was not an independent OC in the way that DeBoll was. Dorsey was a tool of McD his purpose was to implement what McD wanted out of HIS offense and more importantly out of HIS QB.  The placing of a governor on Allen's play which was the primary reason this offense struggled at times came from McD.  And for this reason alone McD should be fired.  Dorsey was only there to try to make McD's demands happen.

"The governor" was not to get JA17 hurt. Flame out like Cam?

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

I'm trying to come up with the 25 sources. Here's what i've got:

1. Daboll
  2. Chad Hall
  3. Heath Farwell
  4. Jon Feliciano
  5. Quinton Spain
  6. Cole Beasley
  7. Devin Singletary
  8. Leslie Frasier
  9. John Brown
  10. Bobby Johnson
  11. Lil' Dirty
  12. Zach Moss
  13. Ken Dorsey
  14. Cody Ford
  15. Bobby Hart
  16. Levi Wallace

He specifically has said that Chad Hall declined to talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.