Von Miller faces arrest in domestic violence case in Dallas

ArdmoreRyno

Just now, ngbills said:

Rules say they can practice Mon-Wed and then get the rest of the week off. If Von is in DAL those days either he or the entire team did not practice. 

Ya, there had been pictures of players at the airport all week. I don't think there was any practice this week.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

There have always been rumors and rumblings of him being an entitled jerk to people. Nothing I can quote from an article or anything. I know he was investigated for something a couple of years ago that was dropped. And I know at least two women have claimed to be his baby mama, with one flat out calling him a deadbeat.

I'd hate to be a defendant in your court of rumors and rumblings, yikes!

But seriously, sucks if the rumors become validated...

Well, looks like he is done  as a useful player anyway, so maybe this is a way for the Bills to actually use those tens of millions on players they actually need, that can help them win a championship?

If this holds up does anyone know if that means the Bills can part ways with what will  do down (and already was, in my view) the biggest mistake in Beane's tenure here, and get out of that ridiculous contract?

cornerback, a safety or two, a center maybe, D tackle, fast power runner--let's invest in an area of need. And/Or, of course, a great, young, hungry, edge rusher who plays with a high motor, consistently.

Edited by Mister Defense

A couple things here.   The Miller signing is quickly becoming the worst signing in Bills history.   The only logical way to help his cap hit next year was to restructure, given his play and now this in no way can you do that now.   You cant trade him because no one will want him.   You cant cut him until 2025.

Secondly, and probably the most pertinent thing here...why in the heck is the writer of the article mentioning anything about him being a star in the league?   Just state he plays for the Bills, there is no reason at all to say how good he is at something given the content of the actual piece.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

To be honest, many fans of other teams raised an eyebrow at that contract a the time.

I tried to be positive about it, because we just got a stud pass rusher!

But to be honest, they were always right. JJ Watt retired at the same age that we gave Von Miller a $114M contract.

It turned out bad for sure. But had he not gotten injured and things played out different, no one would care.

When the Bills signed him I figured we would see "dominate Von" last year and this year. Then regression next season. That injury when he got it robbed the team of his last dominate window IMO. 

Had he not gotten injured maybe the season plays out different. No one can say. Perhaps even in the Cincy game he causes an early strip/sack fumble return TD that charges the team. Who knows. But this much is certainly true....had it worked and we are now the defending Super Bowl Champions, no one would give a crap about his cap hit.

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I'd hate to be a defendant in your court of rumors and rumblings, yikes!

But seriously, sucks if the rumors become validated...

It's not really a rumor. In 2021, he was investigated for something that wasn't disclosed and the DA decided not to try the case. He was a Broncos player at the time and the investigation was done in Colorado. I know that Bengals players get away with A LOT because the Hamilton County DA is a season ticket holder. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/23/von-miller-criminal-investigation-prosecutor/

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

NFL truly doesn’t care about DV, and it’s common that charges mysteriously get dropped.

So this will come down to the Bills and the moral code based off an investigation 

A woman already dropped similar charges on him in 2021.  Could it be the same woman?  

Edited by Bob in STL

2 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Well, looks like he is done  as a useful player anyway, so maybe this is a way for the Bills to actually use those tens of millions on players they actually need, that can help them win a championship?

If this holds up does anyone know if that means the Bills can part ways with what will (already was, in my view) the biggest mistake in Beane's tenure here, and get out of that ridiculous contract?

cornerback, a safety or two, a center maybe, D tackle, fast power runner--let's invest in an area of need. And/Or, of course, a great, young, hungry, edge rusher who plays with a high motor, consistently.

Odds are Bills still need to eat most of his dead cap even if arrested (which isn’t likely with mega star pro athletes facing DV).

If chargers are dropped and it just looks bad, like it’s obvious he paid her off and she dropped the charges, Bills could cut him but would still be paying him. 

Obv if guilty, cut him. Ramifications don’t matter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

It's not really a rumor. In 2021, he was investigated for something that wasn't disclosed and the DA decided not to try the case. He was a Broncos player at the time and the investigation was done in Colorado. I know that Bengals players get away with A LOT because the Hamilton County DA is a season ticket holder. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/23/von-miller-criminal-investigation-prosecutor/

"rumors and rumblings" was the poster's term and I was responding to him, unless he has 2 accounts here?

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

To be honest, many fans of other teams raised an eyebrow at that contract a the time.

I tried to be positive about it, because we just got a stud pass rusher!

But to be honest, they were always right. JJ Watt retired at the same age that we gave Von Miller a $114M contract.

It was never actually a 6/$114M it was always 3/$52.5

Fans of other teams (and ours) just react to the Adam Schefter tweets and fail to read anything longer than 150 characters to understand what actually was agreed to. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It kind of is.. considering he’s the reason we have a team/organization with Championship aspirations. 

Whatever happens, this organization needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and decide whether they’re going to go all in around their elite QB or keep acquiring and/or holding onto defensive assets the HC clearly advocates for. 

Hyde & Poyer will always be Bills legends.  But we held onto them for a year too long.   Same will go for Tre this off-season.. it sucks, but a hard convo needs to be had about his future here. 

We can’t keep holding onto our previous Championship window if we ever want to get to the next Championship window. 

The Offense is in a good spot for next year.  We can realistically bring back the entire OL (which is a top

5 unit) plus Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook and Knox.   Do we go all in and get Allen a top WR or two in this Draft, maybe our future Center early?  

Or do we try keep bandaging a defense that simply needs to have a machete taken to it, infuse a ton of cheap youth into it and take some early season lumps on that side of the ball like KC did last year on the way to a Super Bowl. 

Sure.  But it seems over the top to blame Poyer and Hyde for anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The cap situation isn’t great, but alot of it is due to bad decisions/bad breaks on the defensive side of the ball. 

Yeah, bad decisions is part of the organizational issues that were mentioned.

The Offense, for next year, actually looks phenomenal … especially if we upgrade WR2 via the Draft.  

We can fix the cap situation by cutting Morse, Harty, Poyer, White and Johnson. 

We are currently $42M over the cap going into 2024.

Cutting White saves us $6M. 
Cutting Morse saves us $8.5M.
Cutting Harty saves us $3.9M.
Cutting Poyer saves us $5.5M.
Cutting Johnson saves us $7.7M.

Cutting these players brings us down to $10M over the cap.

We then have to replace those 4 starters too:

Average starting CB: $6M ($5,388,889)
Average starting S: $4M ($4,107,221)
Average starting Center: $6.7M
Average starting Nickel: $4.3M ($4,328,667)

That's $21M in replacements for average players.

There is no easy way out of this.

Bates can take over for Morse.

This would be a terrible mistake IMO.

The center is a pivotal part of the offensive line, both from calling out protections, to his relationship with the QB.

I think we’re all in agreement that if he beat his pregnant gf, we need to cut him.  

However, if charges are dropped, and we cut him.   That’s two players, in two years, we’ve cut based off allegations. 

Would you want to play for a team with that track record?

Based on how this likely plays out.. the Bills are in a really tough situation.  

Probably the worst non-JA player for this to surround given his play on the field, future contract implications and sway in the NFL/Locker Room.  

A Diggs-like figure, with a Diggs-like contract, without the Diggs-like production. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well, good excuse to release him I guess...

I'm not sure if it would help or hurt more regarding the cap $$

I mean he's contributing absolutely nothing on the field anyways.

They likely cant cut him without going over the cap.   I am not a sky is falling guy but even cutting him in the offseason will add 17.5 million dollars of dead cap to a team that is already 42 million over the cap.  

25 minutes ago, boyst said:

he hardly had a clean record. he was always like this but now it is coming out because he is not the level of player he was and the chickens ALWAYS come home to roost.

he's getting karma. it's why i never wanted him. he came with too much baggage that no one acknowledged or knew about because the media liked him.

he's always been a douche scumbag me first person.

22 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Any examples of this? not being a dick, honestly curious what his track record is. 

Reminder that being accused isn't the same as being convicted, but by the same token accusations do go away for a fee at times.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think we’re all in agreement that if he beat his pregnant gf, we need to cut him.  

However, if charges are dropped, and we cut him.   That’s two players, in two years, we’ve cut based off allegations. 

Would you want to play for a team with that track record?

Based on how this likely plays out.. the Bills are in a really tough situation.  

Probably the worst non-JA player for this to surround given his play on the field, future contract implications and sway in the NFL/Locker Room.  

A Diggs-like figure, with a Diggs-like contract, without the Diggs-like production. 

Again, I am not sure they can cut him without putting themselves over the cap.   They will need to work with the league to see if they can suspend him without pay for the rest of the year with cause.

We’ve seen so many claims like this, turn out not to be true.  With instant media these days, no one verifies anything.  People need to wait for all facts to be heard before making judgments.

Von however does have a history of steroid use.  Maybe he’s been “rehabbing”

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The center is a pivotal part of the offensive line, both from calling out protections, to his relationship with the QB.

Why does everyone always want to cut Pro Bowl center and beloved team leader Mitch Morse???

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

This is wrong but my first thought is "Does he have a morality clause in his contract we can leverage?"

EDIT: Just in case this needs to be said.  Abusing anyone is wrong, but especially a loved one.  It's horrific behavior that creates generational trauma.  I'm not saying Miller is guilty, just that the act of domestic abuse is disgusting. 

Sadly, mine too.  The consideration should be with the unborn and with the alleged victim.  

But, were we to view this from a football perspective, and under the belief that there is a morality clause in Miller’s contract that could be affected by this issue, I’d note that I would await further opinion until the police report is published.  At this point, anything is possible.  It may have merit, it may not, it may be that it’s a “woman scorned” situation and she’s looking to jam him up over nothing, or there may be some legitimacy to this.  I’ll add that, knowing a little bit about how things work in New York State, the fact that there seems to be some sort of police report and sworn information supporting the issuance of an arrest warrant (and the fact that the alleged perpetrator fled the scene) suggests that this might be more than a “woman scorned” scenario. 

As an aside, this is why the Bills hired someone like Terry Gilbride—a seasoned pro—as general counsel to replace the neophyte who previously graduated into that role. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Reminder that being accused isn't the same as being convicted, but by the same token accusations do go away for a fee at times.

i said when he was signed he was too risky.

the chickens always come home to roost. we are caught with the rotten eggs.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I read somewhere we were projected to be $29M over, no?

Either way, we will likely restructure Douglas.  There’s CB1.  Benford is CB2.  Elam can be penciled in as CB3. 

Why are we signing all these players at market rates?  

Draft a nickel corner.  

Draft a Safety.  

Get younger.  Invest in the DL by backloading contracts for Jones, Epenesa and/or Floyd for when the cap clears up and we’re out of this mess … as that’s the best protection we can provide to a youth infused secondary.  

If we keep Morse, that’s bringing back one of the top OL’s in the league.  Upgrade at WR via the Draft and this will be one of the best Offenses on paper in the NFL.. by far.  Elite OL.  Elite QB. Elite weapons.  

We get Milano back to pair with Bernard.  Williams is in Year 2.   We have our starting outside corners under contract.  

Get. Younger. On. Defense.  

There will be a weakness on Defense - likely at Safety and in depth.  It is what it is.  If McDermott is still here .. he needs to figure it out. 

Or we can keep playing cap games so we have a no-holes roster full of aging vets on defense.   Rip the band-aid off and outscore people. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

Eff this guy.

Put him in a rocket and shoot him to the moon.

Assaulting a pregnant woman?  Zero Tolerance.  

He should be cut by the end of the day and you eat the cap number, make a statement that it is not tolerated and move on.  

To bad the bills didn't claim derek barnett last week before houston did.

It seemed to work out fine for Tyreek.  NFL keeps the camera on him every chance they get.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.