Mt Rushmore of McDermott Victories

uticaclub

Looking back on what we believe to be his biggest wins.. It dawns on me that McDermott is kinda who he is, and has always been..

We have some great regular season wins, like Chiefs x2, but then it hasn't translated in the Playoffs.

We've had some really fantastic defensive performances against high powered gimmicky offenses (Ravens, Dolphins) but struggle against more traditional elite passing games.   I will say that the defensive performance against Lamar in that playoff game was special. 

We have playoff wins over teams we were flat out better than.. but even in the Colts game, it took Allen being Allen to win when our defense fell flat on it's face in the second half.  

Nothing's really changed over the years.  We have the same type of wins and the same type of losses.  And each year we come up short in the margins because the teams we are competing with have the coaching advantage.  Same as '20, same as '21, same as '22...

If I had to pick my biggest McD wins... it's two gimmick offenses he shut down (Ravens playoffs and Dolphins this year) along with two regular season wins at Arrowhead.  

He is who he is.  And who he is, is who he's always been.   Why do we expect this to change?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

NE at home after the Damar game.

Credit McD for keeping the team focused.

Hines 2 KO return(s) put a lump in my throat.

The fix was in for that game; I never saw 10 guys not get called for holding on the first TD. Glad it was in our favor

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Think the fact he's still been battling skin cancer throughout is a much bigger victory.  Along with trashing my critiques of him. It's a rough year sure but we shouldn't be riding him as we don't know.  

My girlfriend and her dad get skin cancer often; it's scary because of “cancer” but the procedure is quicker than most dentist visits.

11 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Mt. Rushmore should be reserved for Super Bowl victories, or at the very least, Conference Championship victories. Anything else should just be a plaque in the park.

There was a threat about a Mt Rushnkre for our tragic losses under McDermott, so I wanted to highlight some memorable wins.

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Looking back on what we believe to be his biggest wins.. It dawns on me that McDermott is kinda who he is, and has always been..

We have some great regular season wins, like Chiefs x2, but then it hasn't translated in the Playoffs.

We've had some really fantastic defensive performances against high powered gimmicky offenses (Ravens, Dolphins) but struggle against more traditional elite passing games.   I will say that the defensive performance against Lamar in that playoff game was special. 

We have playoff wins over teams we were flat out better than.. but even in the Colts game, it took Allen being Allen to win when our defense fell flat on it's face in the second half.  

Nothing's really changed over the years.  We have the same type of wins and the same type of losses.  And each year we come up short in the margins because the teams we are competing with have the coaching advantage.  Same as '20, same as '21, same as '22...

If I had to pick my biggest McD wins... it's two gimmick offenses he shut down (Ravens playoffs and Dolphins this year) along with two regular season wins at Arrowhead.  

He is who he is.  And who he is, is who he's always been.   Why do we expect this to change?

McDermott keeps telling us who he is. More and more fans are finally starting to believe him. 

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott has run his course, and unless we make a Super Bowl run, his time here is over. But I wanted to remember our good times in the last few years, so let’s talk about some critical victories since we won’t see anymore in his tenure.

1) Cowboys Thanksgiving game (We arrived)

2) Perfect game vs Patriots WC (Dominating Belichick in a playoff game)

3) Indy playoff game (first playoff victory in forever)

4)Clinching the Division against Denver (the division was finally ours

@Steelers on SNF, where we used Renagade against them to clinch a playoff spot, deserves an honorable mention.

Here’s his Rushmore since thenEF3D45A4-9D5E-448E-BB69-64EB1964F512.jpeg.b37b7d94f1af0cf4db8d4418a7565f8a.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IronyAbounds said:

Mt. Rushmore should be reserved for Super Bowl victories, or at the very least, Conference Championship victories. Anything else should just be a plaque in the park.

I think OP is looking to highlight the biggest wins under McD as a positive.... but when you see the list and struggle to get much past four and some of them are not even playoff games and you realize what is on the flip side of the Losses version of this list, it further crystalizes the limitations of this coach

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott has run his course, and unless we make a Super Bowl run, his time here is over. But I wanted to remember our good times in the last few years, so let’s talk about some critical victories since we won’t see anymore in his tenure.

@Steelers on SNF, where we used Renagade against them to clinch a playoff spot, deserves an honorable mention.

And in all those games who shined the brightest among the players?  As I recall Allen was formidable in those games.

11 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this is a list of "big" wins in mediocre moments.  Nothing was "on the line" in most of these games, and divisional playoff win against the depleted Pats, really?  The Colts game we nearly gave away before Rivers made mistakes.  

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And in all those games who shined the brightest among the players?  As I recall Allen was formidable in those games.

I had hoped to start my day on a positive note, but instead, I unintentionally ended up pointing out that McDermott has not significantly outcoached anyone in the past seven years. Even when attempting to highlight his successes, it seems to be overshadowed by the fact that Allen played exceptionally well in that game.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

What about a Mt. Rushmore of losses?

there is already a thread as he pointed out. and the point of these threads is that they are the worst losses or wins under mcdermott where his coaching and his decisions ultimately played a factor in the results.

my contribution:

1) ravens game where we refused to score giving us time to burn the clock

2) @atlanta win

3) dallas thanksgiving win - mcdermott defense was stout

4) miami win to get us to the playoffs.

a lot of our amazing wins were due to amazing talent on our team more so than mcdermott

5 hours ago, billybob71 said:

I feel like this thread could be renamed Daboll's Mt Rushmore of victories tho

that'd be interesting

40 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Further cementing the fact that McDermott would not have any where near the success he's had without Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think he's back in 2024.

Hate to burst your bubble.

guaran-freaking-teed:

1. conservative McD + conservtive Pegula = 1 more year of mutual admiration

2. justifiication - McD gets the benefit of the doubt based on legacy culture change of being a "winner" plus major injuries to the D...makes usual     1-2 sacrificial staff changes..invites Frazier back as consultant...

3. fanbase has pretty much fired McD - had 1 foot in the grave after the epic fail of 13 seconds - will be interesting to see if Diggs goes off during end-of-season review-interview and issues ultimatum...keep him or me..but not both.

Edited by First Round Bust
sp
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Dallas game and that one only.  It was the only shocker on the list and was a coming out party for Josh.

The problem with the list is McD has not had a single game where the team had a great comeback, big defensive stops down the stretch or a signature drive.

Yes the team is very good, so we as fans expect a game like the NE playoff one, or to win against KC when the Bill are on par with them.

The Ravens playoff game the Bills were the better team at home and a solid victory, but was tight for long until Lamar threw that pick 6 when they were about to take the lead.

Great games would be against an equal opponent back and forth trading haymakers and prevailing in the end like vs. KC in the playoff (oops 13 seconds happened).

Hello Baltimore game week 4 2022

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

I had hoped to start my day on a positive note, but instead, I unintentionally ended up pointing out that McDermott has not significantly outcoached anyone in the past seven years. Even when attempting to highlight his successes, it seems to be overshadowed by the fact that Allen played exceptionally well in that game.

Yep, Allen was perfect against NE.  Allen saved McD in the playoff game against the Colts as the rest of the team appeared a bit off and the Bills D had almost a complete collapse in the 4th quarter of that game.  Against Dallas, Allen WAS the difference. 

You make a good point in saying that in none of McD's signature wins did it appear that McD had actually out coached the opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Hello Baltimore game week 4 2022

You know what????  Rain and the Bills were down on the road and you are right.   Also the Dallas game because Allen was a rookie and not a good team to me was #1, but this was 1A.  

The point is very few imo

Edited by Billsfan1972

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Tounknow what????  Raim and thenBills were down on the road and you are right.   Ow the Dallas game necause Allen was a rookie and not a good team to me was #1, but this was 1A.  

The point is very few imo

Have you had some beers after work? That's some slurred speech if I ever saw it 

20 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Other than 2 above, comparing this list to the mt rushmore of defeats is one of the most depressing things I have seen this season 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

And not surprising the other thread is almost twice as long as this one

To be fair, the having a regular season made up of expected wins with no drama is actually a pretty good thing. It is just overshadowed by the mediorce playoff results. 

11 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It felt that way at the time but that ended up being a bad Rams team.  Looking back that game doesn't stand out to me too much 

You can’t judge a win by what happened afterwards.  That was a massive moment for the Bills.  They were the best team in the NFL, and they made a massive statement in front of every football fan in the country.  They didn’t win a championship, but that shouldn’t retroactively diminish what McDermott did that day.

1. Baltimore playoff game 

2. Comeback in Baltimore in 2022

3. Week 4 Miami 2023

4. Week 5 at KC 2023

3 of those are close game wins - that’s credit to coaching.  

Unfortunately, against good - great teams these are the only ones I can think of.   

The close losses far outweigh the close wins.  

Peak McD era was 13 seconds - after that it ended.  Every major decision after that has been a disaster.  

1.  Dorsey

2. Keeping Frazier as a lame duck - coached like it v Cincy 

3. Making himself DC - distracted a bit?

4. 12 personnel 

5. Diggs debacle 

6. Josh is safer in the pocket - lol it’s 2023 you can’t hit the QB in the open field - let him run.  
7. Throw it 45 times v the Jets

8. Mac Jones beat us

9. 12 men on the field 

10. Icing the kicker in Philly

11. Gabe Davis

12. No slot guy 

On 11/28/2023 at 10:24 PM, uticaclub said:

To be honest this list is not that good

Regardless of how much credit McD does or doesn't deserve for the Bills relative success during his tenure, he just looks completely lost and confused out there at times. It's like his pressured brain cannot process what is happening and he looks all frantic. It's embarrassing.

It's also embarrassing when he offers no explanations for his inexplicable decisions but has plenty of excuses and blame for others. Those are not the qualities of a good leader. It seems that he wants to control everything but be responsible for nothing. The antithesis of great leadership.

5 hours ago, Billl said:

You can’t judge a win by what happened afterwards.  That was a massive moment for the Bills.  They were the best team in the NFL, and they made a massive statement in front of every football fan in the country.  They didn’t win a championship, but that shouldn’t retroactively diminish what McDermott did that day.

I think that you can look back on a particular win or moment and see it differently than in the moment.  Yes at the time it felt like a massive moment for the Bills...they were the best team in the NFL after Week 1 lol.  But reflecting on it now it was a Win over a bad team.  Not to mention how the Bills fizzled out last year and struggled to beat Miami in the wild card following up with getting embarrassed by Cincy in the Divsional it's hard looking back at that opening week victory as any sort of Monumental win in franchise history.  Just my opinion of course....I can see how others would see it differently and that's fine

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.