Mt Rushmore of McDermott Victories

uticaclub

McDermott has run his course, and unless we make a Super Bowl run, his time here is over. But I wanted to remember our good times in the last few years, so let’s talk about some critical victories since we won’t see anymore in his tenure.

1) Cowboys Thanksgiving game (We arrived)

2) Perfect game vs Patriots WC (Dominating Belichick in a playoff game)

3) Indy playoff game (first playoff victory in forever)

4)Clinching the Division against Denver (the division was finally ours

@Steelers on SNF, where we used Renagade against them to clinch a playoff spot, deserves an honorable mention.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I know a lot of people don't seem to care about this because "it was only regular season. it doesnt matter" but I think beating the Chiefs in their stadium is a big deal.

I thought about that one too; there’s a lot to choose from

• Like (+1) 2

I'd put the Colts playoff game up there for one of the best Bills/Allen victories, but not McDermott's. 

McD's defense got shredded. We were the 1st team in NFL history to allow 450+ yards, force no turnovers, and win a game. The win was a combination of unforced errors by the Colts (failed 4th down at end of the 1st half, 33 yard missed FG in 3rd Q) and phenomenal play by Allen/Davis (those toe taps at the end of the 1st half). 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'd put the Colts playoff game up there for one of the best Bills/Allen victories, but not McDermott's. 

McD's defense got shredded. We were the 1st team in NFL history to allow 450+ yards, force no turnovers, and win a game. The win was a combination of unforced errors by the Colts (failed 4th down at end of the 1st half, 33 yard missed FG in 3rd Q) and phenomenal play by Allen/Davis (those toe taps at the end of the 1st half). 

D did hold strong at the end of the game to win; probably the last time that happened. Rivers scores on that drive everytime in 2023.

Edited by uticaclub
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1. Bills beat Ravens - McD defense drops in zone in the red zone and Johnson makes the second biggest play in franchise history.

2. Bengals beat Ravens - McD is credited with ending the drought yet it was really Andy Dalton. Remember McD started Peterman on the road when the playoffs were still in sight. 

3. Bills beat Colts in OT in the snow - McD plays for a tie instead of a win and almost costs them the playoffs. 

4. Bills Patriots playoffs- second coldest game in franchise history after Bills Raiders (I was at both). Allen and the offense shred Belichick. Daboll leaves after 13 seconds 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

7 minutes ago, seattlebillsfan said:

Ravens divisional win in January 2021. Stifling defensive performance.

This has to be first. As for regular season, the Chiefs in 2021 and 2022, the Patriots 2nd game in 2021 after we lost (was basically for the division). We could give him some credit for Patriots 2021. I think the Dallas Thanksgiving game could go on here. If we stretch thing maybe the Baltimore game last year or Thanksgiving game in Detroit.

This is probably more telling than even the losses.  We have no signature playoff wins outside that Baltimore game and no more than a couple regular season wins per year you would hang your hat on.  We are really good at beating the crap out of bad teams and even that has diminished this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

This has to be first. As for regular season, the Chiefs in 2021 and 2022, the Patriots 2nd game in 2021 after we lost (was basically for the division). We could give him some credit for Patriots 2021. I think the Dallas Thanksgiving game could go on here. If we stretch thing maybe the Baltimore game last year or Thanksgiving game in Detroit.

This is probably more telling than even the losses.  We have no signature playoff wins outside that Baltimore game and no more than a couple regular season wins per year you would hang your hat on.  We are really good at beating the crap out of bad teams and even that has diminished this year.  

Oh, we have way more bad losses than good wins, which is why he’s got to go, but we did have some big wins that we haven’t see since Flutie beat Jacksonville

That is actually pretty weak sauce for signature wins.  I would replace Denver game w/ Ravens playoff win.  It makes me madder to think what should be on this list:

1. Allen and Gabe Davis destroy Chiefs in playoff shootout to get to AFCCG.  Winning TD with just 13 seconds left

2. Bills right the season with critical win against Eagles on the road defeating weather, referees and hostile stadium

3. After allowing Cardinals back in the game, Allen hits Diggs with 30 seconds left for winning TD

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 5

If you are counting playoffs then obviously all of those wins are it. Those are all the most important games this team has won in 30 years. 

Ravens is his best win period. Got us to AFC championship game and the defense actually was the reason for once 

Pats game was 2

Colts game we tried to lose but the offense wouldn’t let us. That was the biggest get one to the garage because we haven’t won one in forever and you just had 10 chances at the end to still blow it. You can really see a a lot about our future in that Texans loss and Colts win. This coach is a literal petrified buffoon against anyone where strategy is required.

the dolphins game was a 3rd string QB keeping them in it until the end. Again the offense saved us. There is 1 game where McDermott actually did a good job coaching in the playoffs. It’s sad.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ravens Divisional Playoff win

Patriots 47-17 Wildcard Beatdown

2019 Sunday Night football win against Steelers in Pitt to clinch playoff spot

Thanksgiving against Dallas...first bigtime game in the National spotlight letting the NFL universe know the Bills were starting to arrive and it wasn't the same old drought years team

7 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

We have surprisingly few significant upsets, when I think about it.

Basically Dallas in 2019.

Beating KC at Arrowhead in 2021 and 2022.

We won as double digit underdogs @Atlanta in 2017 and @Minnesota in 2018.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

We have surprisingly few significant upsets, when I think about it.

Basically Dallas in 2019.

Beating KC at Arrowhead in 2021 and 2022.

It's hard to upset when you are the favorite, which we've been in most games for years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1. Win in the season finale over Miami 22-16 and combined with the Bengals win over the Ravens to end the playoff less streak.

2. Playoff win over the Colts

3. Playoff win over the Ravens

4. Playoff blowout of the Pats

5. Both regular season wins at KC

6. Win over Dallas on Thanksgiving

Just now, Gregg said:

1. Win in the season finale over Miami 22-16 and combined with the Bengals win over the Ravens to end the playoff less streak.

2. Playoff win over the Colts

3. Playoff win over the Ravens

4. Playoff blowout of the Pats

5. Both regular season wins at KC

6. Win over Dallas on Thanksgiving

Personally, I can’t put that Colts WC anywhere on a list. However I will give him some credit for the defensive call that lead to a game winning pick 6. 

Getting us into the playoffs after the drought is definitely a good shout for #1

Well done. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Personally, I can’t put that Colts WC anywhere on a list. However I will give him some credit for the defensive call that lead to a game winning pick 6. 

Getting us into the playoffs after the drought is definitely a good shout for #1

Well done. 

The win over Miami in the season finale has to be #1 on everyone's list. It combined with the Bengals win over the Ravens ended the drought. The scene in the Bills locker room when they were celebrating like crazy is something nobody will forget. IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

A lot of people here deluding themselves into believing McDermott has “run his course” and “his time is over” are going to be very mad come end of season. 

Might only be Smiley, and Brady if he gets passed over for the OC job.

Dallas game and that one only.  It was the only shocker on the list and was a coming out party for Josh.

The problem with the list is McD has not had a single game where the team had a great comeback, big defensive stops down the stretch or a signature drive.

Yes the team is very good, so we as fans expect a game like the NE playoff one, or to win against KC when the Bill are on par with them.

The Ravens playoff game the Bills were the better team at home and a solid victory, but was tight for long until Lamar threw that pick 6 when they were about to take the lead.

Great games would be against an equal opponent back and forth trading haymakers and prevailing in the end like vs. KC in the playoff (oops 13 seconds happened).

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I know a lot of people don't seem to care about this because "it was only regular season. it doesnt matter" but I think beating the Chiefs in their stadium is a big deal.

Hes actually done that a few times

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think he's back in 2024.

Hate to burst your bubble.

I thought that until I heard WGR ripping on him. I think hes done 

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think he's back in 2024.

Hate to burst your bubble.

Agree. Especially with Brady seemingly getting the offense right again (albeit it’s only been two games). If the offense keeps playing like it does, I think McD gets a pass to get his last shot with a regrouped defense next year. But I think if our offense sputters the remainder of the season, he’s out. No point in running it back with an old, injured defense and an ineffective offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott has run his course, and unless we make a Super Bowl run, his time here is over. But I wanted to remember our good times in the last few years, so let’s talk about some critical victories since we won’t see anymore in his tenure.

@Steelers on SNF, where we used Renagade against them to clinch a playoff spot, deserves an honorable mention.

His best performance this season was kicking the snot out of Miami.  Everyone said the Dolphins offense could not be stopped.  Tua would throw 50 TD’s, Miami would break the record for points etc

McDermott’s defense wrote the book on how to slow down the Miami and how to take advantage of their defense.   All about scheme, smarts, and physicality.  Oddly this has been lacking against many inferior offenses this season - losing Milano and Jones were big

27 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Agree. Especially with Brady seemingly getting the offense right again (albeit it’s only been two games). If the offense keeps playing like it does, I think McD gets a pass to get his last shot with a regrouped defense next year. But I think if our offense sputters the remainder of the season, he’s out. No point in running it back with an old, injured defense and an ineffective offense. 

Wow two games of the offense performing at expectations and we should have a parade.  Tells you how bad the coaching was prior imo.  And McD is the coach for the entire team and he should have done more earlier or seen issues.  This I don't get.  Blame Dorsey for the O, blame the ST coach and somehow it was okay to allow 500 yards vs. Jax and defenses that can't make a big stop as McD is their coach.  Pathetic.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Think the fact he's still been battling skin cancer throughout is a much bigger victory.  Along with trashing my critiques of him. It's a rough year sure but we shouldn't be riding him as we don't know.  

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Surprised nobody’s mentioned the season opener against the Rams last year.  Blowing out the defending champs week 1 was a major statement game.

It felt that way at the time but that ended up being a bad Rams team.  Looking back that game doesn't stand out to me too much 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.