WGR Topic: McDermotts Mt Rushmore of Lossess'

boyst

WGR has a great discussion topic. What are the top 4 worst loses for the Bills in McDermott's tenure? The Mount Rushmore for McDermott?

This does not mean the loss is blamed on him - just the loss was under his term.

My submission:

1. 13 seconds

2. Kneel down

3. Peterman's 5 picks

4. Urban Meyers Jaguars

Edited by boyst
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1. 13 seconds. That was the year I think they would have won it all.

2. AFCCG vs Chiefs. They got blown out, but it was the AFCCG. So close to a Super Bowl.

3. The Bengals playoff game. Got blown out at home. It was depressing.

4. The playoff loss at Houston. Blowing a huge lead and losing in OT.

I stuck with playoff games instead of regular season losses.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lots of quality answers here already, but I have to add something more broad. Everyone talks about how the Bills could not overcome adversity last season and just ran out of gas. I've thought that was a cop out since I started hearing it. It's a nice, face saving narrative that protects McDermott by blaming circumstances. But there have been many teams that have had severe adversity. Some of those teams have folded, while others have circled the wagons and come together as a team to overcome their situations. A select few of those have won it all. We simply didn't have the leadership to do so. I don't think that this team truly believes that McDermott can get them to a championship and it shows, especially in the post season when we play true SB worthy teams.  Under McDermott we have yet to beat a single team in the playoffs that is capable of winning it all. The players have known that for a long time even if Diggs is the only one that has  publicly spoken up at all. Here's hoping the Pegulas get it right this offseason. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If it goes by just losses under him and not an actual coaching decision that played a huge part in the loss… the Vikings game has to be on there along with hail Murray 

The blame on that one goes to Cam Lewis IMO. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, boyst said:

WGR has a great discussion topic. What are the top 4 worst loses for the Bills in McDermott's tenure? The Mount Rushmore for McDermott?

This does not mean the loss is blamed on him - just the loss was under his term.

My submission:

1. 13 seconds

2. Kneel down

3. Peterman's 5 picks

4. Urban Meyers Jaguars

Hail Murray

12 men

The brutal Vikes loss last season

17 minutes ago, BBFL said:

The blame on that one goes to Cam Lewis IMO. 

Way more blame could be put on Josh and Morse if you are going to single out players on that one. But it was a true team effort to ssnatch defeat from the jaws of victory. A very McDermott thing.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

I used to think some other organization would scoop up McD if he got let go here.  When they start looking at all the close head scratching losses, I think teams would shy away.  It's disgraceful, how often the offense has pulled themselves off the mat to tie or take a lead late, only for the D to cave at the end or in OT.  The Bills championship window is maybe in the final realistic season and McD has pissed it away.  Even with D injuries they should have closed out some of these games...TWICE in Philly they blew it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Way more blame could be put on Josh and Morse if you are going to single out players on that one. But it was a true team effort to ***** defeat from the jaws of victory. A very McDermott thing.

Yes, that’s the case with a few losses we’ve had but if Cam doesn’t try and tackle Jefferson and instead makes a play on the ball, you’re never on the end of a loss there. 

• boyst changed the title to WGR Topic: McDermotts Mt Rushmore of Lossess'
2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

It's tough though, any game where you can blame the D, of which there are plenty, falls directly on MCD, and his outdated, soft scheme, full of undersized players 

You’re right. The game shouldn’t have been in that position but we were due to other players; you and @DrDawkinstein are correct about that. 

if there’s blame on one guy for one singular play for us to come out with a loss, it’s that Cam Lewis play. Guy was on #18’s shoulders 😂

8 minutes ago, BBFL said:

You’re right. The game shouldn’t have been in that position but we were due to other players; you and @DrDawkinstein are correct about that. 

if there’s blame on one guy for one singular play for us to come out with a loss, it’s that Cam Lewis play. Guy was on #18’s shoulders 😂

The Vikings didnt even score on that drive. The Bills were up 27-23. The Defense stopped them on the goal line, and got the ball back with the lead 27-23. The Cam Lewis play should have been irrelevant as long as our Center and QB execute a simple snap. That loss was NOT on Cam Lewis.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

My submission:

1. 13 seconds

2. Kneel down

3. Peterman's 5 picks

4. Urban Meyers Jaguars

I have to say it.. losing to the Mac Jones led Patriots and his defense giving up 29 points to the worst O in the NFL.  That has be one of the worst losses. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

DrDawkinstein's starter pack gif said it all, and that's just from 2019. 

I see that stats, analysis and rankings that clearly state McDermott is a sound defensive mind, and I truly believe this is the case against the bottom to mushy middle of the NFL.

It just seems against good - elite teams, pucker up that rectum if it's a one score game going into the two-minute warning.

It also seems like we have a fetish with ensuring the other team has at least a shot at the endzone for a hail mary or miracle type play if they need it.

Missed a glorious opportunity to add the Giants and Bucs to this list. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, technobot said:

I see that stats, analysis and rankings that clearly state McDermott is a sound defensive mind, and I truly believe this is the case against the bottom to mushy middle of the NFL.

It just seems against good - elite teams, pucker up that rectum if it's a one score game going into the two-minute warning.

Just this year, The Jests, Broncos and Pats**  Hardly 'elite' teams.  He is now known for playing down to opponents. 

I am a die hard McDermott supporter, it is time for new leadership while we still have an elite QB/ realistic shot at a championship.  

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Jeremy quickly clarified that it should be about coaching decisions only, since he doesn't have control over fumbles, etc.

So worst decisions for me would be....

1: Trading Mahomes Pick

2: 13 seconds

3: Prioritizing Dlinemen over weapons for Josh.

4: Letting inexperienced play caller be OC in Josh's prime.

The Philly Kneel, Peterman start, and thinking he would do better than Leslie are really bad, but don't make the top 4 in my opinion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.