John Warrow gets "corrected" by McDermott

Draconator

11 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Did actually John actually ask a question?

See, that’s just it. No, silly boy. He never knowingly asks a question and Sean typically has to ask him wtf he means.. In this case, the homeless looking space cadet -who never knows what he’s going to say with his next word, mumbled something about Sean’s history while failing to form a coherent statement yet again. 
The short bus was late today so he had to stick around the facility longer and attended the presser. 

I think he was asking if his dad set a place for him for Thanksgiving, but no one’s really sure..🤷‍♂️

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

I’ve lived in Tampa for 27 years and call Buffalo home.   Coach grew up and went to school near Philadelphia.  I think it was a pretty snarky response from coach.  It suggested to me that they have some history.   

Nothing ‘suggested’ at all. They do have a history. Warrow is maddeningly weak at forming coherent sentences. For years, Sean has put up with it and tried to help John finish his thoughts. Anymore, McD is tired of his Chitt and gets a little edgy with his responses. Kinda like dealing with an autistic child..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Nothing ‘suggested’ at all. They do have a history. Warrow is maddeningly weak at forming coherent sentences. For years, Sean has put up with it and tried to help John finish his thoughts. Anymore, McD is tired of his Chitt and gets a little edgy with his responses. Kinda like dealing with an autistic child..

I’ve smiled at a few of your comments on ol’ “jw.”

12 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

TBD has a long and storied history of running reporters and sources off the board. 

Granted, most but not all of them were very thin skinned and couldn’t handle much critique, but then we also have a number of scorched earth posters who went overboard with the venom.

Welcome to the internet.

I'm sure they're all here but with pseudonyms. Where else would they get their intelligent material?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

John Wawrow.  Sports reporter for Associated Press, one of the news sources that has strict standards for verifying sources still as opposed to other "press" which utilize each other's questionable tweets referencing anonymous folks as a source.

Good and balanced reporter, does a nice job pulling together different interviews and sources to craft a story.  Developed the habit of 5 minute monologues that assume the answer to the question he finally asks vs. posing concise questions during Covid.

Can you explain how the last sentence of your post connects with the rest?  Wouldn’t a 5 minute narrative developed in his own brain be similar to relying on random tweets?

14 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Also Sean got his start  in Philly learning under coach Johnson highly respected defensive coaching tree. So the phrasing x

Vould be you going back where ur career began ....   Warren is norepinephrine 9n senility if u ask me.  

Sean was born in Omaha but grew up  in the Philadelphia area too. Hardly an inappropriate question by John. McDermott's response was right out of the Buffalo sports PR handbook. We eat it up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 hours ago, Draconator said:

Just for this, Sean can coach the rest of the year. 

I have never been a heavy critic of Sean McD, but I also haven't been an apologist for some of the coaching errors either, BUT...  I really feel somehow very drawn to rally around him.  From the Hamlin incident, to the myriad of injuries this season, I really trust he is the right coach for this team.  I wonder how many feel the same way in the locker room....

Also, as an aside, I really don't agree with the notion Dorsey was a scapegoat either.  Far too often that offense was too rpedictable.  Worthy of being fired, we'll see, but there was really no excuse this team should have been so anemic, none.  I give that firing 4 out of 5 McDermott claps.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sean was born in Omaha but grew up  in the Philadelphia area too. Hardly an inappropriate question by John. McDermott's response was right out of the Buffalo sports PR handbook. We eat it up.

Agreed. But McDermott seemed unnecessarily dickish to Warrow in his response. Judging by the responses here that seems to play well with many Bills fans too. 

Among sports journalists that cover Buffalo sports, Wawrow is pretty solid.  His stuff tends to be accurate and well-reasoned.  He used to contribute some solid information to this board.  Based on what others have said, he doesn't post here any more.  As to this particular question, which I think was a fair one, McDermott's response was a bit snarky, but he's on the hot seat with Bills fans right now, so something like this (as someone posted above) reiterates his commitment to the Bills and the Buffalo area. I'm OK with it.  In the scheme of things, it's really not a big deal, but since someone posted it, it was worthy of a comment.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Damnnn Chand sounds like you guys have a history too...🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

You can see when McD says hello that he knows the slimy rat he’s talking to. 

Nice correction to a potential setup question. 

Yes, the way he said hello you could tell his patience was already thin. I do not think he likes John one bit.

And those saying Sean was disrespectful: are you serious? That has to be the most respectful disrespect I have ever heard.

Also, it is just objectively the truth that Sean's home is in Buffalo. Sean moves around a lot because of his job. I moved around a lot growing up because of my Dad's job. You don't get too attached to places and you have to move on mentally when you move physically. I lived in Colorado for a long time, but if Wawrow said "you are heading back home to Colorado" to me, I would be confused and say, "No, I actually live Louisiana. My home is in Louisiana."

Just something interesting.  I didn't think Wawrow was pointed in what he asked... But McD answered it well!!

https://www.npr.org/2015/12/25/461046599/new-york-times-report-finds-most-americans-live-close-to-mom

"...A new report shows that Americans live surprisingly close to home. According to the new analysis, a person in the U.S. lives on average just 18 miles away from his or her mother.  ..."

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

John Wawrow.  Sports reporter for Associated Press, one of the news sources that has strict standards for verifying sources still as opposed to other "press" which utilize each other's questionable tweets referencing anonymous folks as a source.

Good and balanced reporter, does a nice job pulling together different interviews and sources to craft a story.  Developed the habit of 5 minute monologues that assume the answer to the question he finally asks vs. posing concise questions during Covid.

John! You’re back

20 hours ago, Simstim said:

Ach, in the age of hyperbole everything needs to be a thousand percent.

Me, I saw the coach gently and with small smirk correct Wawrow to make a point. Hardly a "schooling".

Nice clip though

it reminded me of when #17 made a similar correction to the media regarding "The only NY NFL  team resides in Buffalo NY. It is nice they have civic pride living in NY state.   His mindset  isn't like many of we folks on this board. Who identify as home being WNY when we have lived and raised a family elsewhere

McDermott curtly answered him he wasn't being mean or respectful. Maybe a tad chippiness in his speech. yeah. Im not a huge partaker of twitter but when John Wawrow is quoted or has posted here I liked what he had to say. Being your job is social media you know that itself is a very mixed bag of people he has to deal with. I wonder if Wawrows answer in his mind was "touche' Sean  you got me that time"

🙂

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yes and his favorite band was the one that dressed up like giant eyeballs.  I’m pretty sure they suck.

No, his favorite band is the Replacements. And the Residents - the band you're referring to above - don't suck (check out The Rutles movie and you'll see). Anyway, the Residents and the Replacements bear no resemblance to each other. And the Replacement's decidedly don't suck, despite the fact that their second release (an EP) was entitled "The Replacements Stink": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stink_(EP).

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

No, his favorite band is the Replacements. And the Residents - the band you're referring to above - don't suck (check out The Rutles movie and you'll see). Anyway, the Residents and the Replacements bear no resemblance to each other. And the Replacement's decidedly don't suck, despite the fact that their second release (an EP) was entitled "The Replacements Stink": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stink_(EP).

Whatever.  Maybe they don’t totally suck but they sold out when they did the theme to Friends.  Terrible.

Edited by 4merper4mer

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Residents don’t suck but demand an amount of patience beyond what 99% of music listeners can provide.  They are more expression than music.  The Replacements either suck terribly or rock your earballs, depending on what night you got to see them.  The Rembrandts - no opinion.  They’re irrelevant.

As for the Ruttles, I saw them once, not on purpose and never again.  I would characterize them as “anthropological.”  Did not enjoy.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Just me or did that introduction seem staged? Coach is on the hot seat, and he gets an easy layup question like that to remind everyone where his heart is. So, touching. 

a cynic in the crowd. I like it. It's thinking outside the box. May be right or wrong but still . 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.