Mistake not trading Gabe Davis?

Thrivefourfive

3 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I don’t think anyone was giving us a 3rd for Gabe “3 route” Davis and we wouldn’t trade within the division to the Jets. 

That being said, it’s certainly easy in retrospect we probably should have traded him. The bigger issue is Beane didn’t bring in a viable #2 to slide Gabe to #3 where he belongs.

He can partially fix this by not signing Gabe and letting him walk.

The good news is that the 2024 draft is deep at WR

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly it seems like they must like Gabe because Shorter seems like a Gabe clone.  We'll see when/if he gets on the field but they have almost identical measurables.  Even if Gabe is our second outside WR I'm betting as the season progresses Shakir and Kincaid get the lions share of the targets.

4 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Was it a minor/major mistake not trading Gabe Davis? 

Would the Jets have considered him pre-season?

Were there teams with playoff/championship aspirations that would’ve added him before the deadline?

Not trading him is going to look like a missed opportunity to gain draft capital. When he tests free agency after the season, some stupid team will overpay him, and I don’t blame Davis for taking it. He’s pretty much a nothing player, but if he can finish the year healthy, he’ll piece together a nice little highlight reel that some team will mistakenly sink their teeth in.

The Bills could’ve walked away with a 3rd, believe. That seems to be the spot we’re both sides would feel relieved and anxious. 

The Jets were loading up for a Ring run, and probably running out of draft capital, but I’m sure they would have pulled a 3rd out of their hanger to trade with the Bills. Rodgers was getting his guys in place before he was even acquired, but surely he’d liked what he’s seen from Davis, thinking he can make him better. WR2-WR6 becomes interesting when you add Davis in here.

As for the deadline landing spots, take your pick—literally every team could add Davis into that mix. Even the Bengals, who have the best WR corps in the league, they never know when Chase or Higgins or Boyd will miss time with a serious injury, like a hamstring or foot. Claypool went to Miami (along with a 7th) as a new toy for a 6th,,, and Claypool doesn’t have a four touchdown playoff game @ KC to brag about. That was a plain ol’ ‘why not’ move by the Dolphins, but it shows that teams want a deep WR room if offense is the side of the ball they want to boost up. If the Bills don’t value Davis as a 3rd, they probably would have had an easier time dumping him for less. 

Big miss by not getting something for Davis. He’s gone after this year, and his contributions might be meaningless this year. The Bills targeted WRs like crazy this off season, so they knew life without Davis is near. 

More likely after last season Beanne could have got 4th-5th rounder,  now had they traded him after 13 secs that could have been a 2nd rounder.  End of the day Beanne has been terrible adding WR talent to this team. It's the biggest problem,  our defence has always sucked but previous Bills teams could just totally outscore teams because of our passing game.  Very few explosive big chunk plays 

If Bills miss the playoffs they need to move out either McDermott or Beanne and my choice would be a new offensive minded HC.  These two have milked Allen too long,  not enough attention or focus on surrounding him with play makers

4 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Was it a minor/major mistake not trading Gabe Davis? 

Would the Jets have considered him pre-season?

Were there teams with playoff/championship aspirations that would’ve added him before the deadline?

Not trading him is going to look like a missed opportunity to gain draft capital. When he tests free agency after the season, some stupid team will overpay him, and I don’t blame Davis for taking it. He’s pretty much a nothing player, but if he can finish the year healthy, he’ll piece together a nice little highlight reel that some team will mistakenly sink their teeth in.

So you are expert on nothing and I see you are showing proof as they said in math class.

Do you know what teams were offering?  No, nada, zilch.  In this case it is even lower than 0, an imaginary number.

schultz.jpeg

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Some of these MFers want to trade Josh Allen for picks, so I wouldn't trust the collective wisdom of TBD on player/personnel decisions.

Whoever wants to trade JA17 for picks, I’m not going out of my way to be in his collectorate. 

3 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

Why in the world would you trade your #2 WR to a division rival????

I don’t think he’s a WR2, so I wouldn’t be trading that. The Jets obviously made some moves to sure up the WR room. They were in the market. Maybe there’s a deal there that made sense to but teams..? I’m fine trading Davis to the Jets. I predicted they’d implode, and I don’t think highly of Davis as a WR. 

Again, trading him pre draft was the best time, most value. But kicking tires for a deadline deal should have been done too.

56 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So you are expert on nothing and I see you are showing proof as they said in math class.

Do you know what teams were offering?  No, nada, zilch.  In this case it is even lower than 0, an imaginary number.

schultz.jpeg

Those files are secret. Sometimes the team that has the player can seek out a trading partner. 

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Honestly it seems like they must like Gabe because Shorter seems like a Gabe clone.  We'll see when/if he gets on the field but they have almost identical measurables.  Even if Gabe is our second outside WR I'm betting as the season progresses Shakir and Kincaid get the lions share of the targets.

Shorter isn't any good either!! I hope they don't bypass the receiver position in the draft thinking Shorter is a potential player in the league. I'd take Xavier Legette or Adonai Mitchell over Shorter any day of the week

Gabe Davis is wild to follow. Game to game, wildly inconsistent and he disappears when we need him the most.

Season totals? On pace for 59 - 820 - 9 TDs. 

He averages 6.5 catches for 91 yards and a TD per game. Thats amazing production for a #2, but he has FIVE games this year where he has less than 35 yards 🤯 He had more than 22 yards once in the last 4 games! 

11 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I don’t think anyone was giving us a 3rd for Gabe “3 route” Davis and we wouldn’t trade within the division to the Jets. 

That being said, it’s certainly easy in retrospect we probably should have traded him. The bigger issue is Beane didn’t bring in a viable #2 to slide Gabe to #3 where he belongs.

We have not been able to incorporate Sheffield and Harty into the offense.  

11 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Same chip on his shoulder that Flutie had...🤔

Based upon some of the whiffs that the Bills have had with personnel (both drafted and signed via free agency and trades), I'm reminded of the Island of Misfit Toys.

image.jpeg.88a842e478a715a22c2cc6eba0231438.jpeg
"Nobody wants a 'Charlie in the Box'!"

That would make Elam the caboose with square wheels....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

We have not been able to incorporate Sheffield and Harty into the offense.  

I agree. Neither of them is a #2 though. They are a couple of JAGS. Part of that is Dorsey’s lack of creativity in the game plan in getting these guys involved. Part of it is their lack of talent.

Edited by RunTheBall

20 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They books is out on Gabe Davis.  He’s not a 2.  His best role is a 4 running deeper routes.  I think his market will be less than what alot of people think in the off-season.  We need to move on and draft/FA a more dynamic option opposite Diggs 

I wouldn't pay Davis anything.  He's been a ss for 4 years. He's dead to me.  

On 11/12/2023 at 4:10 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

The players decide the captains.

Gabe Davis doesn't come across to me like much of a leader. I was floored when he was named captain. Think that was Josh Allen campaigning for his buddy.

Captain Davis declined to answer questions from the media after the game last night.

What a leader!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.