McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

I think they sent McDermott out there and he had to cover for Dorsey because he’s getting one more week to turn it around. That’s the only way that these comments make sense. 

Just now, Toledo Bill said:

The players are going to quit on this guy.

Unbelievable.

They will if they lose on Monday night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Toledo Bill said:

The players are going to quit on this guy.

Unbelievable.

End of the game, they show Josh and Burrow shaking hands, and Josh covers his mouth to say something.  If anyone has a photo, would be a great “caption this”. 

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think they sent McDermott out there and he had to cover for Dorsey because he’s getting one more week to turn it around. That’s the only way that these comments make sense. 

Maybe McD can call the offense and defense on gamedays?? 😂😂

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

I would have much preferred and likely  defended “The defense of as struggling after a few long drives in a row. We really wanted to give them some time to catch our breath, regroup, and come back out on the field fresh and strong”.

• Like (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I presume the next question was "Why?" Did he have an answer to that or will he have to get back to us?

The answer to why is "we are looking for ways to keep the DC from getting embarrassed. The defense couldn't get off the field, and we needed someone to do something to give the defense a rest. So we took the offense out of its rythym to rest the defense.  I did not consider at the time, that the team with the most points at the end of the game wins"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I believe continuity is essential for long term success, and while I've been on board with getting rid of our coordinators (Frasier, Dorsey 🙏), I've been patient with McDermott because I think he's a good coach.

But the more I read things like this; the more comfortable I'm getting sacking him at the end of the season.  I believe his skill set might be better suited to turning around dumpster fire teams and not for bringing a team from good to great.

Of course who do we replace him with?  It might take him a while, but maybe he's the next Andy Reid, Sean Peyton or Tony Dungy... All good coaches that it took many years to to win a SB.

If it is time for a change, then I hope we can find the right person to bring us to the promise land.  I also like Beane, but don't know how it would play out if Sean were to get canned.  Technically, they both report to TP and presumably McD could be fired while BB retained.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

This changes everything for me 

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I retract my earlier prediction of wins.

Time to cut ties with Dorsey and McD.... my God.

22 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

This reminds me of Gailey’s “it was his turn” comment (ie an explanation that isn’t really an explanation).

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Does he just not have permission to fire his OC so he's wording his way around it? Because this doesn't exactly match up.

11 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Im sorry, but how on Earth can players have confidence in him after this??

Watch out for @BIGFOOTspaceman! He might eyeroll you! :death:

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, saundena said:

I believe continuity is essential for long term success, and while I've been on board with getting rid of our coordinators (Frasier, Dorsey 🙏), I've been patient with McDermott because I think he's a good coach.

But the more I read things like this; the more comfortable I'm getting sacking him at the end of the season.  I believe his skill set might be better suited to turning around dumpster fire teams and not for bringing a team from good to great.

Of course who do we replace him with?  It might take him a while, but maybe he's the next Andy Reid, Sean Peyton or Tony Dungy... All good coaches that it took many years to to win a SB.

If it is time for a change, then I hope we can find the right person to bring us to the promise land.  I also like Beane, but don't know how it would play out if Sean were to get canned.  Technically, they both report to TP and presumably McD could be fired while BB retained.

This is how I feel. People want to argue if he's a good or bad coach. Is Belichick really the best coach of all time? No. He's the best coach of all time at keeping a Super Bowl contender grounded and motivated. That's not his job anymore and it's not McD's job to turn around a bad team and establish a culture of winning. It's to win a Super Bowl. This doesn't invalidate what he did well here. He is a good coach. It's just time for us to move on. 

• Agree 6

12 minutes ago, saundena said:

I am almost in the same train of thought. I am not on board with firing McDermott at the moment. Nobody can tell me the Bills have not changed for the better after McDermott took over. 

Although the team has some issues and if McDermott keeps throwing everything into what he is strong at and not sure up the teams weak links then I'm sure at some point he will lose the job. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

This is how I feel. People want to argue if he's a good or bad coach. Is Belichick really the best coach of all time? No. He's the best coach of all time at keeping a Super Bowl contender grounded and motivated. That's not his job anymore and it's not McD's job to turn around a bad team and establish a culture of winning. It's to win a Super Bowl. This doesn't invalidate what he did well here. He is a good coach. It's just time for us to move on. 

Move on to who?

A 1st time OC?

A retread? 
A college coach? 

I really think the correct route is to fire Dorsey and bring in a top flight offensive mind with OC experience. Bonus for a failed HC who won’t get poached from here in two seasons. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

39 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

You realize if the Bengals rolled 40 on my defense people would be blaming me. Slow it down! 

People laugh but this is actually it. He got blamed for the D vs Chiefs 13 seconds, so he much rather lose a game 24-18 vs 42-37 because the 42 would be his fault while the 18 is Ken Dorsey’s. This pri*k is making coaching decisions to create a scapegoat to save his job.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

This reminds me of Gailey’s “it was his turn” comment (ie an explanation that isn’t really an explanation).

This was exactly my first thought. Chan was asked why he was playing an ineffective Spiller instead of Jackson, and that was the best he could come up with… I’m usually willing to give McD a little rope but comments like that are just not good at all. 

“why did we stop doing the thing that worked?”

”because reasons.”

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I really think the correct route is to fire Dorsey and bring in a top flight offensive mind with OC experience. Bonus for a failed HC who won’t get poached from here in two seasons.

Top flight offensive minds typically get head coaching jobs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Move on to who?

A 1st time OC?

A retread? 
A college coach? 

Ben Johnson and Brian Callahan are intriguing younger options. Eric Bieniemy is warming up.

So let me get this straight.  We score with ease the opening drive and then slow down the tempo and style to experiment with schemes.  This might explain why the offense at beginning of games are moving the ball, only to become stagnant for 2 1/2 quarters with three and outs. Then in the fourth quarter we go uptempo because we r behind and then by magic start moving the ball again and start scoring. Got it.  Genius.  And silly me thought you continue to use what works for you until the opposing team has adapted. If not you continue to exploit those weaknesses. SMH. No wonder this offense looks so bipolar.  Must be tough as a player to find any sort of rhythm sometimes. 

So many have it wrong in this thread...you guys realize that McD is giving you DORSEY's answer to why they didn't run the uptempo right?  

All this anger at McD over the answer is totally misguided.  Now if you want to be mad at McD for not yet firing Dorsey, then that is fair game.  But this answer everyone is so upset about is the answer Dorsey gave McD after they met and reviewed the game.  

FIRE DORSEY

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Fire him

Time for McD to go.  Enough trying to force this team into some archaic football team that wins 17-10.  The Bills D can't even hold teams to that.  Our O sucks because the offense isn't designed to the strength of the players and what they can do well.  It is designed to play McD ball.  This is why McD and Daboll hate each other... because Daboll wouldn't listen.  Dorsey has a job in a place he don't belong because he is a McD yes man.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So many have it wrong in this thread...you guys realize that McD is giving you DORSEY's answer to why they didn't run the uptempo right?  

All this anger at McD over the answer is totally misguided.  Now if you want to be mad at McD for not yet firing Dorsey, then that is fair game.  But this answer everyone is so upset about is the answer Dorsey gave McD after they met and reviewed the game.  

FIRE DORSEY

The reality is nobody knows. Is it McD dictating to Dorsey to protect his defense or is it Dorsey being incompetent. Either way it falls on the HC.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

FIRE DORSEY

And how many times has this answer been given to McDermott throughout the season?  Because this movie has been played way too many times throughout the season. Either way it is inexcusable on both their parts regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.