Bills @ Bengals postgame thread

Simon

McDermott straps them into the seat, "here's your game-plan, you'd better not score in under 2 minutes or else it's gonna make my defense even more tired." Then pull the string, and there's your 9-8 and watching January football.

The coach is just too iron-willed to ever see the error of his ways. He's the perfect type of head coach if you're polling your Bill Cowher's or Tony Dungy's. But we're in an era of the NFL where those two coaches would be spit out the other end of the coaching carousel as quickly as anyone.

I think we're on a collision course for that 0.500 target at the other end of the room (hell, maybe they'll find a way to tie a game so that's fully possible), and McDermott's not only conducting the test but he's the straps holding you in there to take the beating.

• Agree 1

• Simon locked this topic
3 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

McDermott straps them into the seat, "here's your game-plan, you'd better not score in under 2 minutes or else it's gonna make my defense even more tired." Then pull the string, and there's your 9-8 and watching January football.

The coach is just too iron-willed to ever see the error of his ways. He's the perfect type of head coach if you're polling your Bill Cowher's or Tony Dungy's. But we're in an era of the NFL where those two coaches would be spit out the other end of the coaching carousel as quickly as anyone.

I think we're on a collision course for that 0.500 target at the other end of the room (hell, maybe they'll find a way to tie a game so that's fully possible), and McDermott's not only conducting the test but he's the straps holding you in there to take the beating.

McD has no say in the offense so your theory is flawed right off the bat.

• Simon unlocked this topic

Welp, awful game.  A few things that killed us, IMO:

- Josh's turnover - terrible, terrible, terrible, led to Bengals points

- Kincaid's turnover - we were on a drive, would have made that game a lot tighter

- Refs - that roughing call that kept Cinci's drive alive and led to points.  GTFO.

Oh and then there's the D giving up a million yards and the O not scoring. :beer: 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

The best thing they can say about the Bills this morning on all the TV sports shows is that Damar Hamlin is Ok.  And that's all good.

Most are saying the Bills window has shut, start over.  Look to retool next season.

I was never in on this whole "Window" conversation, because I believe that as long as we have Josh under contract, our window is open.

But the window with this coaching staff has closed. They drew the curtains with 13 seconds. The rest has been the pane slowly sliding down.

Time to move on before we waste our talent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Even worse and even more fireable for someone who is supposed to be HC.

Why would you want a defensive minded head coach with zero offensive experience making offensive decisions? Remember when Rex fired Greg Roman?

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Why would you want a defensive minded head coach with zero offensive experience making offensive decisions? Remember when Rex fired Greg Roman?

A head coach is supposed to admin ALL phases of the team. It's that simple.

That's like asking why you'd want your CEO with a Finance background being involved in Operations decisions. Of course they are. They are the CEO now.

If McD can't handle that, then he shouldn't be a HC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Welp, awful game.  A few things that killed us, IMO:

- Josh's turnover - terrible, terrible, terrible, led to Bengals points

- Kincaid's turnover - we were on a drive, would have made that game a lot tighter

- Refs - that roughing call that kept Cinci's drive alive and led to points.  GTFO.

Oh and then there's the D giving up a million yards and the O not scoring. :beer: 

They didn't get any points off of Allen's pick. They should have but between penalties and our Defense, they got knocked outta field goal range.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

They didn't get any points off of Allen's pick. They should have but between penalties and our Defense, they got knocked outta field goal range.

Right, right - one of the few GOOD series we had! 🙃

I won't say the season is over because there's a lot more football left to play but, as a measuring stick, that game tells me that we are just an above average wild card team.

We rushed 5 and 6 defenders and still couldn't get a hand on Burrow. I didn't see any half time adjustments that challenged the Bengals on offense. Our secondary did quite well against the best WR roster in the league but we had no answer for when Burrow went to his TEs. Just like last year's playoff game. 

We have stockpiled veteran running backs and still do not have a credible running threat outside of Josh. On defense, we contain but don't dominate. As for Von Miller, he isn't playing alongside Aaron Donald or Bradley Chubb and looks quite unremarkable as a result. 

The Bengals have humbled us twice now. I think we are reasonably close talent wise but this game was never close despite the final score.

Zac Taylor is a far better coach than McDermott. The Bengals play with a confidence we haven't earned yet.

It feels like our team is looking to Josh, Diggs or Miller to pull things out of the fire week after week.

The Bengals just know they can beat anybody because they've proven it to themselves. Yes, Burrow is special but we have a franchise QB in Josh. 

We're running out of time and excuses.

what is amazing is this is the bengals last real chance to go for it.
image.thumb.png.e9f9fea838d04fae5ce494a6b6f98444.png

I could an underrated, underappreciated starting DT, 2 starting WR's, starting and backup TE, 2 starting OL, 2 backup OL, a good quality outside CB, and numerous other depth players that help.

They're reported to have $70mm but I cannot see them retaining enough players or wanting to spend all of that. Brown is too cheap.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes, plenty of blame to go around. They just aren’t very good right now. 

Agree.  And the simple fact is that in NFL games, when you are minus 2 in turnovers you lose 84% of the time.  They are certainly not good enough right now to be in that 16% that wins when -2.

You have to change something. Even if it’s just throwing something at the wall. You are probably done here. Absolutely have to run the table and that isn’t happening the way it’s currently constructed. Fire someone, try Fournette, bench a few guys, change the philosophy on offense, change play callers. You have to try something or you are dead here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agree. The DK fumble was a back breaker. Great effort by the rook tonite , but the situational awareness was missing at that moment. He’ll learn from it , but it stings right now. They were probably a minute or so away from a 4 point game with a lot of the final quarter left to play. Very well could have snuck out with an ugly win. The D just can’t stop anything right now and takeaways / sacks have dried up. 

It was an amazing play by Pratt imo.  Sure, he could’ve been holding it tighter, but the accuracy and timing of that punch was on point.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

It was an amazing play by Pratt imo.  Sure, he could’ve been holding it tighter, but the accuracy and timing of that punch was on point.

It was a very good defensive play. Once airborne , Kincaid was vulnerable to having the ball knocked out. He tried to do too much and got burned. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not sure what he can do in that situation when he is somersaulting in the air like that and can't get his other hand on the ball. Just gotta tip your cap to the defender on that one for a heads up play.

Sucks because we likely are scoring on that drive after he gets inside the 10 yard line.

But Kincaid is starting to show why the Bills moved up for him...dude is going to terrorize teams for years to come.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, boyst said:

I could an underrated, underappreciated starting DT, 2 starting WR's, starting and backup TE, 2 starting OL, 2 backup OL, a good quality outside CB, and numerous other depth players that help.

They're reported to have $70mm but I cannot see them retaining enough players or wanting to spend all of that. Brown is too cheap.

Mike Brown already said "you can't sign them all" in reference to Tee Higgins. Duke Tobin says other things, but it's not his money.

If this team is to do anything with Josh Allen as their QB they need to address the O line.    If there was any semblance of run game and better pass blocking Josh is lights out.   He is more gifted than all the other QBs but he’s exactly the same as them with pressure…every QB makes mistakes with constant pressure.    

The O line is what needs addressing first above ALL else.  

24 minutes ago, boyst said:

Yup, it's why Collingsworth mentioned that they likely won't have Higgins after this season. 

Just now, JohnnyBuffalo said:

If this team is to do anything with Josh Allen as their QB they need to address the O line.    If there was any semblance of run game and better pass blocking Josh is lights out.   He is more gifted than all the other QBs but he’s exactly the same as them with pressure…every QB makes mistakes with constant pressure.    

The O line is what needs addressing first above ALL else.  

They have to commit to a running game but sadly they don't. It's not like they can't run but it's not a big part of the offense. Yet Josh electing not to take check downs to his RBs also hurts. 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They have to commit to a running game but sadly they don't. It's not like they can't run but it's not a big part of the offense. Yet Josh electing not to take check downs to his RBs also hurts. 

I agree his choice to hold the ball hurts them too often but that isn’t an issue with a line that can handle a three man rush.   Which this line cannot do when playing teams like the Jets, Jags, Bengals.   

Just now, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I agree his choice to hold the ball hurts them too often but that isn’t an issue with a line that can handle a three man rush.   Which this line cannot do when playing teams like the Jets, Jags, Bengals.   

That's why you establish or try to establish the running game to avoid teams to pin their ears and rush Josh. 

There are many fans who think McDermott and Co. being fired at the end of the season would never happen due to his contract extension.  I submit that the sleepwalking and disarray you see in year 7 of his coaching tenure is evidence that firing him at the end of the season is a real possibility.  The 2023 Bills may be the 2001 Buccaneers.

The Bucs fired Tony Dungy despite having a 54-42 record, and the team going to the playoffs 4 out of the 6 seasons he was coach.  Why?  The Bucs were loaded with talent and slept walk through that 2001 season, losing all NFC games of consequence, and then getting blown out in the playoffs.  

Everyone’s giving the defense credit here. The defense was on skates from the start. Every 3rd down guys were wide open. Anything they wanted they had. I’m not giving them any credit here. The Bengals started playing with their food and kept us in it. There was zero resistance by this defense all night in big spots. I’m not going to just act Like this defense isn’t a problem.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Jokeman said:

That's why you establish or try to establish the running game to avoid teams to pin their ears and rush Josh. 

Felt like they tried a few run plays on first down early and got stuffed yesterday no?   

I mean they did attempt to run the ball a couple of times and it didn’t yield the same results as what the Bengals got when they ran the ball.  

Plus it’s tough to run the ball playing from 2 scores down…which is more of the case these days.  

17 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It was a very good defensive play. Once airborne , Kincaid was vulnerable to having the ball knocked out. He tried to do too much and got burned. 

Only push back I have on this is that was the third or fourth time Kincaid went airborne like that to pick up extra yardage. Agreed though, a savy vet picked up on a rookie leaving himself vulnerable to a fumble. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.