Rasul Douglas to Bills - per Rap

SCBills

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's a great fit.

Doesn't help their lack of a WR2........and that's been a huge factor for teams reaching SB's for a long time now...........but they should get good play from Rasul next year as well so even if it's ultimately for naught this year Douglas isn't just a 1/2 season rental.

We have a 2. Dalton,  we have a 3, Davis, we have a 4 in Shakir, we have a 5 in ?? Or flip them around however you want. Whoever you want it to be. We have plenty of weapons to get the job done. Doesn't have to be a WR title to be our #2. Sorry we didn't pick up a WR of your liking/choosing. 🙄

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Serious question:  what was your take on the play of Shakir and Gabe last Thursday, as well as Kincaid's productivity?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer.. because I think this is the key to our season.

Kincaid needs to become a #2 option and Gabe Davis needs to show more of what he did last week, i.e. a more well rounded WR2 skill set.  

If we get that from them moving forward, this team can win it all.  If not.. or if it's erratic again.. it's going to be a slog.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Serious question:  what was your take on the play of Shakir and Gabe last Thursday, as well as Kincaid's productivity?

They scored just 24 points against a disheveled, unfamiliar, out-of-conference opponent who had to travel from Florida on 3 days rest.    I never draw much from Thursday night games and I am certainly not presuming that it was suddenly a breakout game for those 3 guys and now they are going to be superb from here on out. The quick game definitely seemed to help Gabe and Shakir be able to body catch the ball more,  which might address their issue with hand drops but I would expect defenses to adjust to that with press coverage if that's the Bills approach.    They both have physical limitations.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

We have a 2. Dalton,  we have a 3, Davis, we have a 4 in Shakir, we have a 5 in ?? Or flip them around however you want. Whoever you want it to be. We have plenty of weapons to get the job done. Doesn't have to be a WR title to be our #2. Sorry we didn't pick up a WR of your liking/choosing. 🙄

I disagree that they have "plenty" of weapons.   They are middling wrt weapons offensively and other contenders have some of the best skill talent in the league so they are out-gunned in that regard.    They do have a QB in Josh Allen who can play like the best QB in the league for stretches and make huge plays with his mobility so they will have to lean on that and hope he gets them to the playoffs and gets red hot there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer.. because I think this is the key to our season.

Kincaid needs to become a #2 option and Gabe Davis needs to show more of what he did last week, i.e. a more well rounded WR2 skill set.  

If we get that from them moving forward, this team can win it all.  If not.. or if it's erratic again.. it's going to be a slog.

He can only show if he's used like that again. Which mostly came from Knox being out and Gabe playing a WR/TE hybrid role instead of Dorsey just sending him deep for low percentage balls all the time.

So Dorsey needs to utilize him and his skills instead of just wasting him.

I'm confident there is enough talent on this Offense to give Josh a good #2 option. Even if that is "#2 by committee" with Kincaid, Davis, and Shakir.

And I agree, Kincaid should and will take over the #2 spot soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I keep reading about how much of a leader Douglas was and how other players came to him for advice and guidance. 

This leads me to believe that Beane and Co wanted a strong role model for Elam that maybe he wasn’t getting already. Just a thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They scored just 24 points against a disheveled, unfamiliar, out-of-conference opponent who had to travel from Florida on 3 days rest.    I never draw much from Thursday night games and I am certainly not presuming that it was suddenly a breakout game for those 3 guys and now they are going to be superb from here on out. The quick game definitely seemed to help Gabe and Shakir be able to body catch the ball more,  which might address their issue with hand drops but I would expect defenses to adjust to that with press coverage if that's the Bills approach.    They both have physical limitations.    

I guess we'll see.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I disagree that they have "plenty" of weapons.   They are middling wrt weapons offensively and other contenders have some of the best skill talent in the league so they are out-gunned in that regard.    They do have a QB in Josh Allen who can play like the best QB in the league for stretches and make huge plays with his mobility so they will have to lean on that and hope he gets them to the playoffs and gets red hot there.

KC looked pedestrian last week, but you've noted that PHI, SF, CIN, and MIA took QB's who were young/perhaps more limited than Allen and surrounded them with excellent skilled talent.  Helped to get Eagles to a SB last season where they went up against another team with a great QB and high-end skill players.

Not sure where it comes why they keep investing in RB's as though that's the missing ingredient to their offense.  I think it primarily offers, especially with Murray and Fournette, reducing the risk of turnovers and short-yardage options not named Josh.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

On the bright side, our draft status will be greatly improved! It’s a bit nostalgic to be thinking draft by Halloween. Oh, those were the days……

Ah yes the good old days of talking about tanking for draft picks before the season was half over - now it's fire everybody bc we didn't win the SB

• Like (+1) 2

Listening to Beane presser right now, he deserves a lot of credit for pulling this one off.  It sounds like Packers were not keen on moving Rasul Douglas, even on Monday the answer was "no", but Beane was persistent while exploring other options as well.  At the end of the day, he got the job done.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

There was not a problem with quality of weapons on offsets, but our defense was hanging on by a thread

I think the general manager did it right you don’t want to give up all of your draft picks and beane has been collecting them for a reason

Certainly for ammunition to be able to move around in the next draft

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

KC looked pedestrian last week, but you've noted that PHI, SF, CIN, and MIA took QB's who were young/perhaps more limited than Allen and surrounded them with excellent skilled talent.  Helped to get Eagles to a SB last season where they went up against another team with a great QB and high-end skill players.

Not sure where it comes why they keep investing in RB's as though that's the missing ingredient to their offense.  I think it primarily offers, especially with Murray and Fournette, reducing the risk of turnovers and short-yardage options not named Josh.  

We need guys like shakur to start paying off

• Like (+1) 2

I'm torn a bit on this move:

* My head says it was a great deal by Bean and it addressed the Bills #1 need.  We may look back at this signing as the one that saved the season.

* My heart says "here we go again throwing more resources at the defense rather then the offense".

Only time and the season playing out fully will answer whether my head or heart are right here.  I hope this was the move that saves the season by restoring enough of the of the D's capabilities to get us over the hump.

14 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Listening to Beane presser right now, he deserves a lot of credit for pulling this one off.  It sounds like Packers were not keen on moving Rasul Douglas, even on Monday the answer was "no", but Beane was persistent while exploring other options as well.  At the end of the day, he got the job done.

Douglas wasnt a name I’d heard or seen following the trade rumors etc the last few days. I think this was a sneaky good get by Beane at probably the Bills biggest need position on D. I felt they needed two things to compete down the stretch -1.  figure out the offense and include a lot more Josh Allen. 2. Acquire a reliable CB to replace T White. This seems to fit the bill. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I keep reading about how much of a leader Douglas was and how other players came to him for advice and guidance. 

This leads me to believe that Beane and Co wanted a strong role model for Elam that maybe he wasn’t getting already. Just a thought. 

Or maybe he's just the type of guy they want here, as they've shown repeatedly with guys like Hyde, Poyer, Von, etc.  And they know with Tre out and our safeties aging, they need a linchpin-type back there to continue helping ALL of the DBs grow.  Doesn't have to be about Elam, though maybe it is in part.  

Of course, the biggest reason they got him is to make the DB corps better.

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm torn a bit on this move:

* My head says it was a great deal by Bean and it addressed the Bills #1 need.  We may look back at this signing as the one that saved the season.

* My heart says "here we go again throwing more resources at the defense rather then the offense".

Only time and the season playing out fully will answer whether my head or heart are right here.  I hope this was the move that saves the season by restoring enough of the of the D's capabilities to get us over the hump.

There weren’t many deals overall- just 6 teams added a player yesterday and only one involved a WR. The Bills are pretty healthy on O while suffering many major injuries on D as we well know. The most critical to the D is probably the CB position. It would be a major flaw vs the better teams in the league that occupy a good chunk of the Bills remaining schedule. While we’d all love to see an Adams, Hopkins etc added to the offense, they’re pretty capable as assembled. It’s on the coaching to unleash Josh Allen and continue utilizing Kincaid in an expanded role. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Douglas wasnt a name I’d heard or seen following the trade rumors etc the last few days. I think this was a sneaky good get by Beane at probably the Bills biggest need position on D. I felt they needed two things to compete down the stretch -1.  figure out the offense and include a lot more Josh Allen. 2. Acquire a reliable CB to replace T White. This seems to fit the bill. 

And this is exactly how BBB operates.  You almost never hear about our interest in guys before we acquire them.  That helps keep their price low, especially when other teams and agents know that he isn't swayed by public opinion.  I actually believe Fournette's agent almost torpedoed his shot at coming here... I could picture Beane calling him after the reports came out and saying "you better retract that story if you want us to keep talking."

It's also why I don't think we're in on Suh (although I think we should be).

I also wonder if some of those stories -- Suh, Henry, etc. -- are quiet plants by Beane operatives to distract people while he works on the deals HE wants.

And one other thing:  do you all realize that we got a starting CB for the price of a draft pick swap?  That's highway robbery.  Everyone saying "it's like giving up a fourth" is missing the mark.  That's what a dumb GM does, give up a pick in a straight trade.  We gave them a low third, they gave us a high fifth... and they gave us Douglas on top of it, with an extra year of control. Appreciate the genius. 

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

It may go down as one of Beane's best moves ever..

I had given up hope yesterday that the Bills would add a good CB, as there is an almost desperate need for one with the injury to White, Elam's failure to launch, and the injuries to Milano and Jones.

May mean the end for T White as a Bill, but not relevant right now.

With some of the best receivers, QBs, and offenses in the NFL yet to come this year, a superb move in my view.

Go Beane!!

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Franco_92 said:

Lol, people aren't saying that because innocent little flowers are coming to the thread saying "oh hmm, a trade! I can't say I've heard of this player, might you teach me?"

They are saying it because the usual suspects are saying "wow I never heard of this guy typical Beane! Bills suck!" 

It is a reasonable reaction to that sort of thing lol. 

That makes sense. I appreciate your take. I hadn't realized that was going on. gracias.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Good move to sure things up for this year and next.  Probably ends the Tre White era as a Bill, they are going to need the space and coming off a devastating injury like that, I doubt the Bills will be paying him. 

White probably wasn’t coming back to the Bills after the Achilles regardless of them acquiring Douglas. It would have been job 1 for Beane in the draft or FA. It’s too bad , but not a ton of track record for CBs coming back from those . 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

White probably wasn’t coming back to the Bills after the Achilles regardless of them acquiring Douglas. It would have been job 1 for Beane in the draft or FA. It’s too bad , but not a ton of track record for CBs coming back from those . 

Agreed he was done the moment he got hit with that injury. Bummer.

It still likely is job 1 even with this addition. I dont see any needs on Offense as glaring as the needs at CB and DT on Defense.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

It still likely is even with this addition. I dont see any needs on Offense as glaring as the needs at CB and DT on Defense.

If Douglas is a quality starter and good  scheme fit, then CB is not a glaring need entering 2024. Probably going to need a WR2 as I don’t believe their going to ( or should) pay Davis what WRs get on second contracts these days. They’ll almost certainly add a CB somewhere , but it won’t be first on the list imo 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

At what point in 2024 do you anticipate Tre White being ready to START games at CB? You do remember how long it took him to return from an ACL, right?

I guess he can go to Rodgers' surgeon for the alternative procedure and get back sooner to be an absolute HUSK of his former athleticism. Still don't think that gets him ahead of Benford before 2025, if at all. Achilles injuries rob athletes of explosion. 

Maybe Tre eventually kicks back to safety (if he's even on the roster next season)? (Usually hate such suggestions, but he has the brain and flexible skillset for it.)

Somewhat of a throwaway comment (not totally relevant) here that I can't exactly trust bc of my age at the time, but haven't we had 2 players do this with some success in both Aaron Williams and George Wilson? Williams for sure was a solid player and CB, Wilson was a LB who's success I remember much less of the 2

For those keeping track: Rasul Douglas did play for the Panthers in 2020, keeping Beane's Carolina pipeline intact.

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Somewhat of a throwaway comment (not totally relevant) here that I can't exactly trust bc of my age at the time, but haven't we had 2 players do this with some success in both Aaron Williams and George Wilson? Williams for sure was a solid player and CB, Wilson was a LB who's success I remember much less of the 2

The real answer to @Richard Noggin's question is: That will be some other team's problem because no way does White survive June 1st cuts.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It still likely is job 1 even with this addition. I dont see any needs on Offense as glaring as the needs at CB and DT on Defense.

RT? cant chip w Knox/Davis/Kincaid forever to hide Spencer Brown   Think he's had enough time to show what he is or isnt

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

IIRC Wilson was a wide receiver that was converted to safety.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For those keeping track: Rasul Douglas did play for the Panthers in 2020, keeping Beane's Carolina pipeline intact.

The real answer to @Richard Noggin's question is: That will be some other team's problem because no way does White survive June 1st cuts.

This is a big focus on beane for me. The ONE thing this regime does ….. stay way too loyal and prop up the culture guys. Look tre was awesome in everyway. But two horrific injuries that will take away his speed at the end of his career. W a crazy high salary. He needs to be off this roster now (next year). Injury settlement maybe. BB needs to be cut throat. Than k you for your service but here is the door, nothing personal, it’s business of football.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree this team needs young safeties and cornerbacks who can contribute, preferably with some speed behind them. I suspect Dane Jackson will be gone next year and Poyer and Hyde will either be a year older or gone as well and the only guy behind them that is worth any salt is Taylor Rapp and he's a Free Agent. A lot of secondary work for Beane to do next year. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, metbill said:

So, is he 28 or 29?  On all the releases from the Bills side of things, he is 28.  I have read quite a few releases from the Packers side, including the sound bite from their GM where they claim he turned 29 this past August.

Based on his bday on Wikipedia he just turned 28. Doubt we're dealing with a zigggy ansah or Albert pujols or Miguel tejada situation, as hes US born lol

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Pretty much agree but I’m pretty sure we will also be looking for Safety help as well as another WR after the probable Davis departure.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Hyde was a CB at one time and so was Corey Graham who played safety as well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, balln said:

This is a big focus on beane for me. The ONE thing this regime does ….. stay way too loyal and prop up the culture guys. Look tre was awesome in everyway. But two horrific injuries that will take away his speed at the end of his career. W a crazy high salary. He needs to be off this roster now (next year). Injury settlement maybe. BB needs to be cut throat. Than k you for your service but here is the door, nothing personal, it’s business of football.

A lot of people are gonna be upset when Tre' White is here at training camp. And I am going to enjoy every minute of it 😂

Edited by Buffalo03

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Based on his bday on Wikipedia he just turned 28. Doubt we're dealing with a zigggy ansah or Albert pujols or Miguel tejada situation, as hes US born lol

Packers realize they got fleeced and trading a guy who's "almost 30" sounds better than trading a guy who just turned 28.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.