Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

10 minutes ago, T master said:

There must be some kind of disconnect between Elam & the coaching . This staff  is considered very good at player development and last season in the Miami game people were celebrating how good he was doing only to go to where he is now something is weird . 

I think so too. Especially when you look and see McDermott getting good production from another cb drafted in the same year as him. If Elam played as good as benford, I think we would all be fine with Elam. Benford was a steal

I just believe he is locked into a belief system that our coaching staff cannot get to the other side with.   There has been a loss of trust between all parties, and I will never call into question Elam's work ethic.   It just seems there is no common ground.   From a front-office standpoint, I will definitely not provide a pass here.  Assets were given up for his draft that could have been provisioned elsewhere.   Like OL.   Like CB.  

7 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Of the 39 players drafted after Elam and before Cook, 9 are playing teams only.

PFF ranks 13 2022 draft choices in the top 32 for their position.

Elam is ranked 5th from the bottom of his draft class of those 30 players that are ranked.

On a positive note, at least he is "Ranked"...😁

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Elam for Davante Adams straight up?

Elam for Jameson Williams or Terrace Marshall would probably be more like it.

Swap of early round talents who aren't fitting in where they are but also have 2 years left on their rookie deal(Marshall) or a year and half left before 5th year option has to be decided on(Williams/Elam) would save Beane some face,  initially at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Swap of early round talents who aren't fitting in where they are but also have 2 years left on their rookie deal(Marshall) or a year and half left before 5th year option has to be decided on(Williams/Elam) would save Beane some face,  initially at least. 

I would take Jameson Williams

• Like (+1) 1

Elam Has min trade value. Best approach would be to trade him straight up for another draft bust like Jeudy. Change of scenery might help both. Similar to what Bills did years back when they traded Sheppard for Hughes.   Hughes ended up being a beast for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would take Jameson Williams in about 2 seconds. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

I just believe he is locked into a belief system that our coaching staff cannot get to the other side with.   There has been a loss of trust between all parties, and I will never call into question Elam's work ethic.   It just seems there is no common ground.   From a front-office standpoint, I will definitely not provide a pass here.  Assets were given up for his draft that could have been provisioned elsewhere.   Like OL.   Like CB.  

What does this mean? 

On 10/26/2023 at 12:58 PM, Big Turk said:

I don't like it...the dude has shown the ability to play well at times. If anything the way they have handled him has destroyed his confidence more than anything.  What a waste. Guarantee if he goes somewhere else and gets a chance within a year we will regret that in a Wyatt Teller sort of way, although I wouldn't go as far as saying he will become an all-pro.

This is the limitation of McD on D.  He would rather play low end players who are safer with limited upside than potential high end players that may require some time to get there.  No other team in the NFL would be having Benford, Jackson and Ingram play in place of Elam.

Everything in your post is speculation. We don’t know how he was actually handled in house. The player has been on long enough to step up and he hasn’t. There is likely blame to go all around here, but simply pinning it on McD is nothing more than slander. 

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Are they looking to move him or something?  He's barely had a chance to see the field yet.  No way the Lions move him.

He's been awful this season and was coming off an ACL tear last year and a stupidity suspension this year.    20% drop rate over the 2 seasons.     He's been worse than Elam,  that's for sure.    

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Of course, as would I, but there is zero chance they are trading him.   

A fantasy owner would trade him because he under-achieved  so far, a pro team, not so much.  He has elite level skills

I know Williams was a big draft crush here but he was a one year wonder in college who showed GREAT speed but no other real skill.   He wasn't a Jerry Jeudy who dazzled with route running for a couple seasons before entering the draft.    Williams and Jeudy both had deep WR rooms to muscle for position in and Jeudy proved to be the alpha in his room..........Williams had to transfer to get PT because he wasn't skilled enough to win PT at Ohio State.  

And now look at them both and put that in perspective.

Elam has elite level physical talent too.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/27/2023 at 12:51 PM, NewEra said:

He was a top 5 corner according to the many.  Some others didn’t have him top 5.  I think most had him pegged as a high-mid 2nd rd pick.  

I saw the 22 CB draft class like this:  2 top tier prospects in sauce and Stingley. McDuffie being the next best guy but was he good enough to play outside. Gordon and Mccreary limited in size/length.  Elam and booth physically gifted- one with injury concerns, the other just not very good his last year in college.  Martin Emerson and woolen-  both with elite height, weight, length, hand size.  Woolen with the elite speed while emerson with better skills. 

Other than the top 2-  I wouldn’t have been surprised if any lf other guys would’ve been taken over the others.  I thought McDuffie had the makings of an elite slot guy and I figured he’d be next off the board, but after that, they were a toss up.  

i would’ve failed and taken Booth, Gordon, Emerson and Woolen over Elam.  I didn’t like Elams tape.  I only liked his press ability, height and speed.  He has small hands and borderline short arms.  

From what I remember when we drafted Elam the issue was that we drafted defense high again instead of offense, people didn't really hate the player, there was actually excitement at maybe having another good corner opposite from Tre. People just wished we'd gone in different direction than defense early again.

I mean who really thought that Beane and McDermott would draft a CB that they wouldn't get anything out of? Like the idea just sounds absurd, it's been like the most consistent thing from McDermott. He's gotten great value out of low round and undrafted DB talent his entire time here, and the 2nd 1st round CB they take here drops down the depth chart like a ***** rock.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would take Jameson Williams

This is actually genius!   He's not in Campbell's good books but he's the speed dude we need.  

I will say this.  And will bring this back up.  While Elam hasn't been good here there were a couple games at the end of last year including Miami game where he looked every bit like a CB2.  

He will be a pro bowler in his career.  Just not with us. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, Hebert19 said:

This is actually genius!   He's not in Campbell's good books but he's the speed dude we need.  

I will say this.  And will bring this back up.  While Elam hasn't been good here there were a couple games at the end of last year including Miami game where he looked every bit like a CB2.  

He will be a pro bowler in his career.  Just not with us. 

Williams would do little to help the team this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, Warcodered said:

From what I remember when we drafted Elam the issue was that we drafted defense high again instead of offense, people didn't really hate the player, there was actually excitement at maybe having another good corner opposite from Tre. People just wished we'd gone in different direction than defense early again.

I mean who really thought that Beane and McDermott would draft a CB that they wouldn't get anything out of? Like the idea just sounds absurd, it's been like the most consistent thing from McDermott. He's gotten great value out of low round and undrafted DB talent his entire time here, and the 2nd 1st round CB they take here drops down the depth chart like a ***** rock.

You are right that many fans were upset about the decision to go defense there -- especially after having gone back-to-back 1st/2nd round picks the year before with Groot and Boogie. I think what especially hurt was that with the injury to Tre (and knowing that he was likely to also miss much of the 2022 season as well) EVERYONE knew that the Bills were in the market for a CB. This is the perfect example of why you do not draft exclusively for need. To make matters worse, while it may have been a positional need, clearly Elam was not a great fit for what McD wants in his corners. This may have been the classic example of a coaching staff believing that they could take a physically talented player and "coach him up". Perhaps Elam's current status with the team suggests that he is not as coachable as they hoped he would be?

The popular pick for the Bills at the time (by many fans and pundits alike) was Breece Hall. He dropped to the 2nd round to the Jets. Have to wonder how much differently things may have gone if the Bills had made that pick -- especially not knowing at the time that the late-round pick of Benford would help soften the apparent miss on Elam.

Edited by 2003Contenders

send him to ny for adoree jackson works for me.  If the bills are convinced he can not play and they are 100% staying with this head coach/defense next year then swap him for someone who can help.  

Jackson is not great but he is good and he can help this football team.

Edited by MikePJ76

25 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

send him to ny for adoree jackson works for me.  If the bills are convinced he can not play and they are 100% staying with this head coach/defense next year then swap him for someone who can help.  

Jackson is not great but he is good and he can help this football team.

Jackson had one of the worst pass interference penalties I have ever seen on Sunday with the game on the line. He gifted the Jest a win.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Jackson had one of the worst pass interference penalties I have ever seen on Sunday with the game on the line. He gifted the Jest a win.

Yes but he is still a good player and can play inside and outside.  He would help the bills and he will not command a lot in return.  The giants have players to replace him also.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yes but he is still a good player and can play inside and outside.  He would help the bills and he will not command a lot in return.  The giants have players to replace him also.

Yeah, I didn't say I wouldn't take him but that PI was middle school football bad.

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Yeah, I didn't say I wouldn't take him but that PI was middle school football bad.

I agree, however it would have looked fairly routine if the ball was thrown better

That's one thing about PI that drives me crazy.  Brady took advantage of it for years.

Wise coaches should take advantage of the rules

QB throws it short uncatchable and have the WR "try" to come back for the ball.    DB isn't turned yet....automatic big penalty 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I agree, however it would have looked fairly routine if the ball was thrown better

That's one thing about PI that drives me crazy.  Brady took advantage of it for years.

Wise coaches should take advantage of the rules

QB throws it short uncatchable and have the WR "try" to come back for the ball.    DB isn't turned yet....automatic big penalty 

I don't know that Zach Wilson is savvy enough to have done that on purpose. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.