Has NFL Given Any Explanation Why Flag Was Picked Up?

st pete gogolak

On 10/24/2023 at 10:24 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

No and they need not.

If you play poorly for 58 minutes and find yourself in a tight game at the end because of it you have earned the right to have the random officials calls help decide the outcome.

And the more angry fans get about it the more bonded to their teams they become.

This argument is really getting pushed to the limit with the officiating across the league this year lol like how much better than your opponent can you really be expected to play to make up for hugely impactful blown calls? 

if it was one here or there I’m with you…but it seems like every late game stretch is just plagued with them now all across the league 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 10/24/2023 at 11:00 PM, WideNine said:

Hunter Henry also bowled over our defenders in coverage down at the goal line freeing up their receiver for a TD with no OPI called on their very obvious pick play.

Murray picks a guy to free Knox and the offensive PI flag was thrown.

Neutral zone infraction on Torrence a guard. Diggs getting obviously mugged on his routes. A phantom DPI call on 3rd and long to extend a NE scoring drive...

We played bad, but the officiating was horrible all game long.

They are not mutually exclusive things, both can be true. In that game, I left feeling we got the short end of the officiating stick.

All I ask is that if they are going to call ticky-tacky or phantom penalties on one team they need to call them on the other too.

I hate a flag fest, but if the laundry is going to fly call it the same for both sides.

On our OPI, it looked to me like the NE defender threw himself in front of Murray to be knocked down, like a basketball defender trying to draw a charging foul.  Murray was denied the right to run his route, but the defender sold the contact better.

As for the picked up ineligible man downfield, definite "make up call" from earlier.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2023 at 11:34 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

"Hello, NY NFL referee ubermeister?  This is..'Richter' in Bronxville.  Pick up the flag and some important bets pay off.  Don't ask why, just pick it up."

Get me an 'X' account, I am on a roll. 😁

lol just an FYI bets were paid off even without the Pats winning the game, they would have covered the spread and all people betting Pats win. 

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This argument is really getting pushed to the limit with the officiating across the league this year lol like how much better than your opponent can you really be expected to play to make up for hugely impactful blown calls? 

if it was one here or there I’m with you…but it seems like every late game stretch is just plagued with them now all across the league 

Well it's an owner driven league...........and the drama caused by officiating is money in the bank for owners.   Nobody tunes out because of officiating.   It only makes them more invested.

Now contrast that with the NBA........which is a player driven league.   Players are young men who get irate if officiating isn't perfect.   So they put tons of pressure on the league to make the officiating better.   The NBA now gives technicals for perceived embellishment of contact.    Even if a review.......because fouls are reviewable........clearly shows it was a foul!   Yesterday I saw a player step out on a 3 and cause the shooter to roll an ankle and they said no foul and called a tech on the shooter for acting too-fouled.  :lol:   

On 10/24/2023 at 7:01 PM, TC in St. Louis said:

Maybe they called roughing because the guy took two full strides after Josh threw the ball.  That's avoidable.

The roughing call was for leading with his crown, ala Rod Woodson

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

On the Pats OL who was 5+ yds downfield?

He wasn’t engaged with defense, pass wasn’t backwards. 

I don’t understand why this wasn’t a foul.

He wasn’t clearly downfield when the ball was thrown. It was a very close call. And since it had absolutely no bearing on the play I’m fine with the no call. Calling that play back because the OL was a foot too far downfield would have been exactly the kind of nonsense I hate from the officials.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, vincec said:

He wasn’t clearly downfield when the ball was thrown. It was a very close call. And since it had absolutely no bearing on the play I’m fine with the no call. Calling that play back because the OL was a foot too far downfield would have been exactly the kind of nonsense I hate from the officials.

I bet the linebackers and safeties that make a read on the o-linemen would disagree with you.  When they read a lineman move down field they react for a run.  The purpose for the rule is to prevent  unfair deception, to prevent the o-line from creating extra traffic for defenders to navigate, and to not give the o-line the advantage to create blocks quickly down field.  It really is a big deal.

In terms of the play itself, I was more upset about the two significant uncalled holding penalties. 

• Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, vincec said:

They threw the flag!  And the replays showed the guy was, in fact, down the field. 

You don't then get to pick it up because you feel it didn't impact the play after the fact, that's not how this is supposed to work.

If they never threw the flag I wouldn't be bothered.  But picking it up when the replay showed the guy was down the field, didn't make sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, vincec said:

If you rewatch the play, the OL is clearly 1 1/2 yd past the LOS (25 yd line ) and the ball is still in Jones hand. 

If the refs miss the call, that’s fine. 

But I don’t get how it’s called initially correctly, and then reversed, incorrectly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, vincec said:

That's wrong on both counts.  First, I was able to freeze the replay showing the ball in Jones's hand with the center having his foot on the 27 yard line, two yards past the LOS, and the center heading downfield.  Second, the center interfered with Bernard getting to the play, and Bernard was the one who eventually pushed the receiver out of bounds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.