Bills restructured Dawkins contract, create Cap space

Buffalo_Stampede

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

he's a good pass rushing DT. the rest of it, not so much. i'm glad he's back but he's expensive.

The Patriots were throwing him to the ground left and right on Sunday.    It was yakety sax level stuff.  He is such a fake hustle poser I literally can't stand seeing him on the field.    And I absolutely KNEW by midway thru 2021 that the Cardinals would cut him because he was terrible..........and that the Bills would be there to pick him up hoping to recapture the guy who rushed the passer well for them in his walk year.   What I didn't expect was to pay him around $5M when he was lucky to get another chance in the NFL at all after how he coasted in AZ.   He showed an ounce of juice last year between injuries but has been total trash this year.   Like 2022 Rodger Saffold bad at DT.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Money was running low from PS call ups and signing guys to active roster for injury replacement. Not sure this indicates an immediate move.

Still, I'm expecting sometime in the next week for the Bills to have a fresh new LBer.

Agreed. They need this for the season and IR replacements. That doesn’t preclude signing a TE, DT, etc. I am worried about TE this Thursday. At least we have plenty of bodies at LB, but if Morris can’t go then we are down to just Kincaid. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Patriots were throwing him to the ground left and right on Sunday.    It was yakety sax level stuff.  He is such a fake hustle poser I literally can't stand seeing him on the field.    And I absolutely KNEW by midway thru 2021 that the Cardinals would cut him because he was terrible..........and that the Bills would be there to pick him up hoping to recapture the guy who rushed the passer well for them in his walk year.   What I didn't expect was to pay him around $5M when he was lucky to get another chance in the NFL at all after how he coasted in AZ.   He showed an ounce of juice last year between injuries but has been total trash this year.   Like 2022 Rodger Saffold bad at DT.

i am not at all disagreeing with you but not agreeing with you 100%. Maybe 97.43%.

Phillips is a great depth DT to come in later in the game for a few snaps and earn 20ish snaps per game. He's equal to "Horrible" Harry who was only Horrible because he was truly horrible and whooped around all over the field.

Saffold, Neschke, Feleciano are popular players everyone hyped on but ultimately showed their lack of value. We have a few on our team now overpaid mixed with undertalented.

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Considering it didn’t happen, yes.

I can’t even count the number of quality guys we have been linked to in-season but it never happened.

And yet immediately in the very next offseason trade happened. 

I cannot tell you how many times teams think they are better than they are in season. Hold only to move immediately for a lesser deal after 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

DJ Chark is bad, hopefully not him. 

He was really good with the Jags and is a big target that can get downfield.  Kinda like a Davis clone but better at other things also...abysmal catch rate tho...makes Davis look like the most surehanded receiver of all time. Career 55.2% catch rate with a HIGH of 61.9% when he had his 1000 yard season with the Jags in his second year

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

i am not at all disagreeing with you but not agreeing with you 100%. Maybe 97.43%.

Phillips is a great depth DT to come in later in the game for a few snaps and earn 20ish snaps per game. He's equal to "Horrible" Harry who was only Horrible because he was truly horrible and whooped around all over the field.

Saffold, Neschke, Feleciano are popular players everyone hyped on but ultimately showed their lack of value. We have a few on our team now overpaid mixed with undertalented.

Well I full expect to see even more Aaron Maybin-esque flopping on Thursday from our cheerleading hero Phillips..........stay tuned for the drama! :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed. They need this for the season and IR replacements. That doesn’t preclude signing a TE, DT, etc. I am worried about TE this Thursday. At least we have plenty of bodies at LB, but if Morris can’t go then we are down to just Kincaid. 

We have a TE on the PS and Gilliam does work with the TE group. Not awe inspiring, but we have bodies there for Thursday, I guess.

LB, that's all we have is a bunch of bodies. Williams seems like he's getting in the dog house and behind him we have Dodson and...AJ Klein. Spector is nursing a hammy now. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BigBadBills said:

I’m hearing it’s to sign Beasley back 

It wouldn't shock me.  The offense has not been the same since he has been gone.  But instead of putting serious effort in replacing him, they trot out the Mckenzies and Hartys of the NFL, bottom tier starters.  But we have a 12 man DL rotation tho!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Adam Thielen, despite being 33, would help this team now, Offense and Allen right now. In 3 wide with Diggs and Davis as #3 and Thielen filling Beasley role we could focus on Defense.

I doubt they trade him. Young needs him for development.

The guy to get is Hopkins at WR. But it’s hard to imagine Beane sending a pick to get Hopkins when he could’ve just signed him for nothing.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I'd be more than content with Hopkins and a Defensive piece added before the deadline. 

-Hopkins, because I think he's one of the few WR's potentially available that Allen will feel obligated to look his way.  I also like his contract for next year.

-And we need something on Defense.  I'd prefer a DT over LB, but maybe (wishful thinking) they believe they can get Daquan Jones back later in the season. 

I can't imagine it would take more than a couple Day 3 picks we have stocked up to make these moves, unless the Defensive piece is something out of left field. 

YES!  Someone’s about to be a former Bill and someone’s about to be new Bill!!

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Did he and Diggs get along in Minnesota?

I don't know, thought of that, but no reason to believe they didn't.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I doubt they trade him. Young needs him for development.

The guy to get is Hopkins at WR. But it’s hard to imagine Beane sending a pick to get Hopkins when he could’ve just signed him for nothing.

I'd be fine with that too. Sometimes the best way to deal with a defensive weakness is to prop up the offense. Trade for one of these guys, use more 3wides, insert Morris as blocking TE in 12 form and continue developing Kincaid. Oh and allow Josh to scramble and slide for an additional 2-3 key FDs every game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet immediately in the very next offseason trade happened. 

I cannot tell you how many times teams think they are better than they are in season. Hold only to move immediately for a lesser deal after 

Ok, but that doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said though, does it? I simply stated that Beane mid-season trades tend to be for lower depth players.

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well I full expect to see even more Aaron Maybin-esque flopping on Thursday from our cheerleading hero Phillips..........stay tuned for the drama! :lol:

don't forget Chris Kelsey (oops) Shaq Lawson

** I like Shaq Lawson as a depth and role player. he can set an edge and has a place on a roster. i've always been a guy who likes niche players for roles on defense though no one embraces this. lawson has a place with playing time when we play certain teams (ravens, mobile qb's, etc) and in situational playing time but he's not a high rep starter.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ok, but that doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said though, does it? I simply stated that Beane mid-season trades tend to be for lower depth players.

Yeah because the entire Beane Tends is irrelevant as I just showed you he targets more than depth players 

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

don't forget Chris Kelsey (oops) Shaq Lawson

** I like Shaq Lawson as a depth and role player. he can set an edge and has a place on a roster. i've always been a guy who likes niche players for roles on defense though no one embraces this. lawson has a place with playing time when we play certain teams (ravens, mobile qb's, etc) and in situational playing time but he's not a high rep starter.

Shaq has fallen off this year too but he isn't a disaster like Phillips has been.    

I really hope we get a DT that can stuff the middle and free up linebackers to make plays. Seems the biggest drop we have on this D is when Jones is out. We sucked with Star, sucked with Phillips.  We need a Jones clone. 

After that go WR and get Hopkins.  Maybe a vet CB. That's all we need for a run and to stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I suspect you won’t, because he now has a “back issue.”  Probably from diving onto and sliding off of Stephenson on the game-clinching drive on Sunday.  Phillips must be the all-time NFL leader in flop-related injuries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.