Bills restructured Dawkins contract, create Cap space

Buffalo_Stampede

7 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I really hope we get a DT that can stuff the middle and free up linebackers to make plays. Seems the biggest drop we have on this D is when Jones is out. We sucked with Star, sucked with Phillips.  We need a Jones clone. 

After that go WR and get Hopkins.  Maybe a vet CB. That's all we need for a run and to stay healthy.

We have a couple extra Day 3 picks. 

-I can't imagine Hopkins would cost more than a Day 3 pick.  He's also under contract for next year.. and while we'd have to find a way to get his contract under the cap next season, it pushes off the need to draft a WR, assuming Gabe Davis walks in Free Agency.  I'm saying "need" because I'd still like the Bills to draft one high regardless. 

-I'd offer Elam in a player for player swap to a team that has a CB or DT that could help us.  It seems pretty clear he's not a fit for McDermott's Defense, and we have nothing else behind Benford & Jackson (and truthfully, Jackson should be the depth corner).

-DT is where I'd be willing to make a splash, as we only have Oliver under contract for next year.  A multi-year player trade makes sense here.. even if it costs a higher pick.  

The cap next year is prohibitive to doing all this.. UNLESS the Bills are willing to let some guys walk, cut aging core guys in Morse, Tre and Poyer, while exploring a trade to get Knox's cap hit off the books.  If they are.. we can both revamp this team before the trade deadline AND build a foundation for next year. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The cap next year is prohibitive to doing all this.. UNLESS the Bills are willing to let some guys walk, cut aging core guys in Morse, Tre and Poyer, while exploring a trade to get Knox's cap hit off the books.  If they are.. we can both revamp this team before the trade deadline AND build a foundation for next year. 

Yup.  We're not going anywhere in the current configuration and need to get younger and cheaper.  those 4 would be my first attempt at that as well

1 minute ago, sunshynman said:

I see the needs as DT, LB, #2, WR

If they need a LB then it is another indictment of McDumbass. He has had Dodson for two years and should know he sucks by now. We have a LB on the roster named Matakevich that can't play the position.  If they let Dodson or Williams play teams then they can dress Klein. 

God I hate this coach.  I tried so hard to give him the benefit of the doubt this year. 

Just let Williams play and learn on the job. Put anyone better than Settle out there and then get Oliver back on the field and the linebackers will be fine.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Add possibly OL upgrade or DB help

No one is going to trade a quality OT. Oline help will need to wait until the draft. 

You can get a WR and probably a CB. I don't think they need a CB though.  Focus on a WR and or a DT

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

I'd trade Gabe Davis and a draft pick to Indy for Michael Pittman Jr. Pittman is unhappy with the way he's being used in Indy. He's got upside, is good at everything, only 26 years old, 6'4 and 220 lbs, and is in the final year of a budget friendly contract that fits in perfectly with the limited cap space we have. If he plays well for us we also have the option to sign him to a long term contract.

Edited by Trust The Process
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

it needs to be an impact player.  Preferably WR.  Exception would be Derrick Henry

DT, LB, CB would all clearly be welcomed additions too 

Trading for Derrick Henry plays out in two ways (IMO):

-It transforms the Offense and we brutalize teams that try to play shell defense on us.. which then opens things up down the field.

OR

-The season continues to spiral. Henry looks washed in our Offense, and we look back at this season like what the **** was all that?

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No one is going to trade a quality OT. Oline help will need to wait until the draft. 

You can get a WR and probably a CB. I don't think they need a CB though.  Focus on a WR and or a DT

I have heard that argument but recently the NFL is moving to having more trades at the deadline.   Tanking is a thing too....I would not rule it out.  However, suggesting that is the Bills "need" is ridiculous.

49 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have a couple extra Day 3 picks. 

-I can't imagine Hopkins would cost more than a Day 3 pick.  He's also under contract for next year.. and while we'd have to find a way to get his contract under the cap next season, it pushes off the need to draft a WR, assuming Gabe Davis walks in Free Agency.  I'm saying "need" because I'd still like the Bills to draft one high regardless. 

-I'd offer Elam in a player for player swap to a team that has a CB or DT that could help us.  It seems pretty clear he's not a fit for McDermott's Defense, and we have nothing else behind Benford & Jackson (and truthfully, Jackson should be the depth corner).

-DT is where I'd be willing to make a splash, as we only have Oliver under contract for next year.  A multi-year player trade makes sense here.. even if it costs a higher pick.  

DHop would likely even be a pick swap candidate..like trade a 5th for a 6th back and DHop.

Edited by Big Turk

46 minutes ago, ngbills said:

5.3m can afford Suh, DHop, Jewell and another $1m or so. 

Hopkins alone is $12 million this year.  Jewell is $4.5M.  Suh played at $2M last year, though he may be cheaper this year.  Where are you getting those 3 players in at roughly $4.3M total?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Hopkins alone is $12 million this year.  Jewell is $4.5M.  Suh played at $2M last year, though he may be cheaper this year.  Where are you getting those 3 players in at roughly $4.3M total?

If the NFL salary cap made any logical sense, you would be right. But Hopkins' base salary is only a little over a million for this year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/deandre-hopkins-12307/

14 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Contracts are prorated and the cap hit is lower after signing bonuses are taken into account. 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Contracts are prorated and the cap hit is lower after signing bonuses are taken into account. 

Yeah, I understand that.  The website I saw mentioned he had a base salary of $12M, which generally isn't including the bonuses.  I see now that it is on the site.  Jewell does have a base salary of $4.49M plus roster bonuses by game.  

46 minutes ago, Trust The Process said:

I'd trade Gabe Davis and a draft pick to Indy for Michael Pittman Jr. Pittman is unhappy with the way he's being used in Indy. He's got upside, is good at everything, only 26 years old, 6'4 and 220 lbs, and is in the final year of a budget friendly contract that fits in perfectly with the limited cap space we have. If he plays well for us we also have the option to sign him to a long term contract.

Dorsey would Use him as a blocker 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Brandon Beane has drafted 43 players not named Josh Allen.

-> 2 of the 43 have been selected to a Pro Bowl.

-> 1 of those 2 is no longer on the team (Edmunds). The other is Knox.

-> 0 have been All-Pro's.

I say use the draft picks.

Where would we get special team players and depth if we trade draft picks?

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

That's all Josh needs: two divas yelling at him on the sideline about not getting the ball

Well, Dorsey likes to have all his receivers run to the same spot on the field.  Could be fun to watch DHop and Diggs fight for contested catches between one another.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, Dorsey likes to have all his receivers run to the same spot on the field.  Could be fun to watch DHop and Diggs fight for contested catches between one another.

Diggs is elite at a lot of things... contested catches are not one of them.

We don't have that guy on the roster. 

24 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I wouldn't make any trades that involve draft picks until after the game on Thursday. If the Bills lose, I would keep the picks.  

Unless this was purely done for roster call ups/operating money.. I don't think you pull a lever like this unless you have a move lined up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.