Bills restructured Dawkins contract, create Cap space

Buffalo_Stampede

55 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, Dorsey likes to have all his receivers run to the same spot on the field.  Could be fun to watch DHop and Diggs fight for contested catches between one another.

It is the most frustrating thing in his play design. Why would this be beneficial in any way! Like the few times a ball is tipped?! It only helps the D.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently per John Wawrow it was cause the Bills were out of cap space from Knox going to IR?

So the Bills were so cap strapped that they had to hope nobody else, in Week 8, would have to go on IR...otherwise we needed to restructure Dawkins?

Is that what Wawrow is attempting to tell us right now?

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So the Bills were so cap strapped that they had to hope nobody else, in Week 8, would have to go on IR...otherwise we needed to restructure Dawkins?

Not sure...I don't know why it can't be both tho...

Just now, Big Turk said:

Not sure...I don't know why it can't be both tho...

Oh, it can be .. If we needed more operating money, we needed more operating money.  Knox going on IR isn't any different than Trent Sherfield if he had to.  Just a random distinction to make on his part. 

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They had a little north of a million dollars in cap before the restructure.  His tweet is not correct.

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

Yeah, I understand that.  The website I saw mentioned he had a base salary of $12M, which generally isn't including the bonuses.  I see now that it is on the site.  Jewell does have a base salary of $4.49M plus roster bonuses by game.  

I wouldn’t use that website anymore. Overthecap and spotrac are best. OTC has the best information. Spotrac’s format is easier to read.

9 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Be curious to see what they do.  I know everyone will be clamoring for offense weapons but I think that have to add defensive reinforcements.

I hate to agree with you because I believe the Bills should focus on offense and not defense but in the here and now the D is hemorrhaging and we won't win many games no matter how well the O plays with this defense.  When you make Mac Jones look like Joe Burrow there are problems.  So yes, to save this season they'll need to sign a LB or DT.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Everyone on the Titans “really is available” including Henry & Hopkins per Jordan Schultz 

If I had to rank the Bills needs at the trade deadline I would say it would be 

1- One Tech DT - Without Jones or another capable run-stuffer disruptor the defense just isn't the same, it would be very negligent to not try to get help at DT. It shouldn't be hard to find a solid One Tech DT. If the only move this team makes is getting a decent Jones replacement that will be good enough. 

2- WR - I don't know if Hopkins would fit the Bills cap-wise or if Mooney from Chicago would be a more realistic option, but adding another playmaker to the offense would help. 

3- CB Depth - I think Jackson and Benford with Taron in the slot is fine, Elam isn't the depth I would hope for but flexing him in as a dime back will work hopefully he gets better awareness in a more reduced role. But the Bills need to see what options they can do to bring in some depth at CB. 

I know LB may be a need to some but I am fine with what they have there. I can live with Williams getting baptized by fire a bit and plugging in Dodson and Klein as depth. There are going to be only so many move this team can make so you have to pick and choose. 

• Like (+1) 1

Is it too much to ask Beane to take a massive swing on offense? Probably

Look what CMC did for the Niners offense

If you put D.Henry on the field with Josh Allen AND the real threat of Allen also running returns…. with James Cook also back there  

think of all the option plays you can run to suck defenders toward the line and hit open targets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I hate to agree with you because I believe the Bills should focus on offense and not defense but in the here and now the D is hemorrhaging and we won't win many games no matter how well the O plays with this defense.  When you make Mac Jones look like Joe Burrow there are problems.  So yes, to save this season they'll need to sign a LB or DT.

DT is where the attention needs to be. I think Bernard is playing well at LB and I can live with Williams taking his growing pains in October and November as I think more experience will lead to a better performance. Dodson and Klein are also decent depth and probably about as good as any street free agent. But they simply do not have a DT that can replace what Jones did. Poona Ford is not that guy and Settle is a JAG at best. Phillips and Oliver are three techs and don't play well out of position. If this team only makes one move either via trade or free agency it should be to address the 1-Tech DT position. 

I would hope they can find more depth at the corner spot and get Josh another weapon in the receiving game but 1-Tech should be the top priority. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dream defense additions

Aaron Donald (his contract is tradeable, 2 of his buddies are here)

Donkey Kong Suh

you add those 2 monsters with Ed Oliver in the rotation.  Your Edge play gets even better by default and that helps cover losing Milano and Tre

I would love Donald but he doesn't really address our NT need

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Definitely need that DT.  Go Bills still! 🦬

Deandre Hopkins has 27 receptions for 376 yards and 0 TD, Gabe Davis has 22 receptions, 347 yards and 4 TD.... I know some will be hell bent on saying yeah well it's because Gabe Davis has Josh Allen but Hopkins is alos the #1 guy in Tennessee and putting up #2 numbers, it's not like Tannehill is a bum, a journeyman maybe but not a bum.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Deandre Hopkins has 27 receptions for 376 yards and 0 TD, Gabe Davis has 22 receptions, 347 yards and 4 TD.... I know some will be hell bent on saying yeah well it's because Gabe Davis has Josh Allen but Hopkins is alos the #1 guy in Tennessee and putting up #2 numbers, it's not like Tannehill is a bum, a journeyman maybe but not a bum.

That is a fair point...but what would Gabes stats be if he was on the Titans and the #1 WR?  I have a feeling not much better, if not worse, than DHOP's.  I mean Davis has Allen, in a pass happy offense that he knows well, and is playing 95% of the snaps and only avg 3.1 catches per game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

if he comes here, he is a legit receiver at all 3 levels of the field. He has hands that this team badly needs.  He is also a better receiver on jump balls/contested catches than Diggs.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

if he comes here, he is a legit receiver at all 3 levels of the field. He has hands that this team badly needs.  He is also a better receiver on jump balls/contested catches than Diggs.

Why isn't he a legit WR at all 3 levels (whatever that means) for Tennessee or for the Cardinals? The last time he was good was in 2020 where he had 1,400 yards and 6 TD. I think we're propping this guy up higher than he really is imo.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He lacks separation so he has to rely on the contested catches …He is a good player but  i don’t know if he is the best fit for Josh  as a mid season addition that needs to hit the ground running to help save the season…

I would prefer a long bomb threat like how Brown was  in 2019-20..

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He lacks separation so he has to rely on the contested catches …He is a good player but  i don’t know if he is the best fit for Josh  as a mid season addition that needs to hit the ground running to help save the season…

I would prefer a long bomb threat like how Brown was  in 2019-20..

Hollywood Brown would work! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.