Why I’m changing my mind on some things

oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

In general I am more the optimistic type and don’t buy into the weekly nonsense doom and gloom that permeates the board.  But after today I am starting to change my mind on a few things:

1.  Dorsey isn’t effective in his role.  I thought he was after the Fish game, but it is clear opposing defenses have figured some things out and he does not have answers.  My daughter knows more about football than most, and she said after the game that the league is dominated by innovation on offense, and we’re not getting that.  We have him, Shula, Brady all available and we can’t get anything going?

2.  Josh is loved by all, but something is going on with him.  And it is not just him not running as much.  Whether it is football or non-football related I don’t know.  But I said to my wife today that he almost seemed disinterested during the game.  And I was shocked to think that.  The QB is a de facto team leader, and especially when a captain.  I pooh poohed  those the last few weeks saying he should not just sit by himself on the bench, but today I was struck by his attitude.   Wasn’t doing anything to get the team going.  Sadly, if I was asked right now whether Josh reminds me more of Kelly or Fergy, personality wise it would be Fergy.  And I’m not sure that personality in a QB can win a championship regardless if physical talent.  He needs to look inside himself and figure out his issues.

3.  I have said many times that McD will not get fired.  But after today I have to begin wondering if he has taken this team as far as he can take them.  It is utterly inexcusable for a defense to give up a TD that last series against Mac Jones.  Even a FG would have been inexcusable.  When you absolutely have to get a stop to win, and the first play in the drive you give up 30+ yards is absurd, even given the personnel losses.  As HC and DC, you have to have ways to stop them, and you have to be able to motivate the team to step up.  Neither happened.  Larry Bird used to say you need to change coaches every 5 years because players have heard everything you can say by then.  Is McD at that point?  I’m not sure.

i sat at the Rockpile as a 4 year old at opening day 1960.  God knows I’ve seen a lot of bad days in 63 years.  But today was sad to me because the team just seemed lifeless, clueless, and without any passion.  Again, I  am a glass half-full type but today’s game was just sad.  Sad, sad, sad.    I think it is the harbinger of a missed playoff year this year.  This kind of loss can either gut a team or spur a team to wake up.  I don’t see any evidence they want to wake up.  Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.  This season seems like it will be the step back.

Regarding Point #2)  I commented on the same thing today watching with my buddies.  I mentioned how I think Josh is far more athletically talented than Kelly ever was but you would never see Kelly sitting there, moping on the bench with a deer in the headlights look that is starting to become all too common with Allen lately.  I don't get it, I'm not sure where the fire has gone

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Their schemes seem stale.  Other teams come in knowing exactly how they want to attack the Bills’ schemes every week, those other teams practice what they want to do, and then they execute.

Can you really say the same about whatever is going on at OBD during the week?  Does this look like a team that does sophisticated advanced scouting, practices details, watches film, then goes out and executes?  Not to me.

At this rate this team will be LUCKY to have the privilege of playing three road playoff games if they think they’re going to the Big Dance.  Does this look like a team that can win ONE road playoff game?  And if by some miracle they reach the Super Bowl, are you ready to match our coaches’ wits against the sideline bosses of San Francisco or Philadelphia?

Again - the schemes are stale and the process is flawed.  Sometimes you just need a reset.  Ben Johnson would be my guy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For the record i think when they made it 22-17 or maybe it was 25-22 Josh came to the bench walking up and down was screaming hyping everyone up.  So to say he was sitting like a deer in headlights is true for part of the game but not when the game was on the line. He was up and doing his part.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Has nothing to do with your post.

The point of that thread was showing, historically, Super Bowl coaches have gotten there in X amount of time. After that, the data indicates that coaches will only go so far.

Your post above says: “I have to begin wondering if he has taken this team as far as he can take them”.

It’s the same topic, except yours is based on the eye test and mine is based on data.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

2.  Josh is loved by all, but something is going on with him.  And it is not just him not running as much.  Whether it is football or non-football related I don’t know.  But I said to my wife today that he almost seemed disinterested during the game.  And I was shocked to think that.  The QB is a de facto team leader, and especially when a captain.  I pooh poohed  those the last few weeks saying he should not just sit by himself on the bench, but today I was struck by his attitude.   Wasn’t doing anything to get the team going.  Sadly, if I was asked right now whether Josh reminds me more of Kelly or Fergy, personality wise it would be Fergy.  And I’m not sure that personality in a QB can win a championship regardless if physical talent.  He needs to look inside himself and figure out his issues.

And then they quickly score and Allen and Diggs high five as they quickly run off the field without celebrating in the endzone like "Yeah we scored who cares we've got ***** do it again." Then proceed to do it again. Yeah I'm sure he's disinterested.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Einstein said:

The point of that thread is that, historically, Super Bowl coaches have gotten there in X amount of time. After that, the data indicates that coaches will only go so far.

Your post above says: “I have to begin wondering if he has taken this team as far as he can take them”.

It’s the same topic, except yours is based on the eye test and mine is based on data.

Go away and pat yourself on the back somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was going to start this same thread. Word for word.

Thanks for saving me some time.  I've been nothing but hope - but I'm rattled today.  And I'm tired.  So much heartbreak, so little reward - especially for us older fans.  It takes a toll, and makes you wonder if you're spending your time the best way.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Andrew luck 2.0. Writing is in the wall 

he doesn’t want the maniac prep or boring chain moving championship qb play it takes. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

For the record i think when they made it 22-17 or maybe it was 25-22 Josh came to the bench walking up and down was screaming hyping everyone up.  So to say he was sitting like a deer in headlights is true for part of the game but not when the game was on the line. He was up and doing his part.

Where was that the 3.5 quarters prior though?

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I’m normally a firey guy who can be a bit negative. I have absolutely no problem with the effort today. To me it comes down to execution and we were just off in the first half on offense. Correct some issues and we will start winning. To me that involves less snaps for Knox and Davis and more 11 personnel.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t think Allen is disinterested, I think he’s lost confidence.  We saw him jittery in preseason.

It sure looks like disinterested - unprepared - not engaged

these throws are 100% on him and he just doesn’t seem to get it.

He throws the long ball to no one in particular - he just throws it  down the field and hopes he is close and doesn’t get picked 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Can I add your O line did Allen no favors today. The Pats were without their top 2 pass rushers in Uche and Judon and they had constant pressure on Allen.  I mean Allen shook off what like 3-4 possible sacks because of his sheer size and will?  

I think the protection schemes and calls may have been figured out. At the very least they’re not making the right adjustments presnap to counter what defenses are doing. Where all the blame lays is a bit muddy, but that needs to get fixed or this team is in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Can I add your O line did Allen no favors today. The Pats were without their top 2 pass rushers in Uche and Judon and they had constant pressure on Allen.  I mean Allen shook off what like 3-4 possible sacks because of his sheer size and will?  

Good point.  I think they have to move on from Morse this off-season.  And I said to my wife at one point that they should bench Dawkins.

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m normally a firey guy who can be a bit negative. I have absolutely no problem with the effort today. To me it comes down to execution and we were just off in the first half on offense. Correct some issues and we will start winning. To me that involves less snaps for Knox and Davis and more 11 personnel.

Hope you’re right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

In general I am more the optimistic type and don’t buy into the weekly nonsense doom and gloom that permeates the board.  But after today I am starting to change my mind on a few things:

1.  Dorsey isn’t effective in his role.  I thought he was after the Fish game, but it is clear opposing defenses have figured some things out and he does not have answers.  My daughter knows more about football than most, and she said after the game that the league is dominated by innovation on offense, and we’re not getting that.  We have him, Shula, Brady all available and we can’t get anything going?

3.  I have said many times that McD will not get fired.  But after today I have to begin wondering if he has taken this team as far as he can take them.  It is utterly inexcusable for a defense to give up a TD that last series against Mac Jones.  Even a FG would have been inexcusable.  When you absolutely have to get a stop to win, and the first play in the drive you give up 30+ yards is absurd, even given the personnel losses.  As HC and DC, you have to have ways to stop them, and you have to be able to motivate the team to step up.  Neither happened.  Larry Bird used to say you need to change coaches every 5 years because players have heard everything you can say by then.  Is McD at that point?  I’m not sure.

i sat at the Rockpile as a 4 year old at opening day 1960.  God knows I’ve seen a lot of bad days in 63 years.  But today was sad to me because the team just seemed lifeless, clueless, and without any passion.  Again, I  am a glass half-full type but today’s game was just sad.  Sad, sad, sad.    I think it is the harbinger of a missed playoff year this year.  This kind of loss can either gut a team or spur a team to wake up.  I don’t see any evidence they want to wake up.  Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.  This season seems like it will be the step back.

Bravo! So Josh, the Head Coach, Defensive Coach, and Offensive Coach suck? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Where was that the 3.5 quarters prior though?

It doesn’t matter.  He rose to the occasion and played an excellent 2nd half and did enough to win the game.

The problem is McD. The players gave up on him last season so it isn’t surprising that everyone looks severely depressed out there. I would be too.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Good point.  I think they have to move on from Morse this off-season.  And I said to my wife at one point that they should bench Dawkins.

Hope you’re right.

That run by Cook where he was stopped then kept running and broke it, Dawkins and Morse were standing there downfield blocking no one looking surprised he broke it off. Literally watching their teammate working. He’d have scored if they went down and blocked through the whistle. I was fuming at that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Governor said:

It doesn’t matter.  He rose to the occasion and played an excellent 2nd half and did enough to win the game.

The problem is McD. The players gave up on him last season so it isn’t surprising that everyone looks severely depressed out there. I would be too.

But it does matter.  It is a 60 minute game and for 45 minutes of it he looked lost.

If the players have given up on McD them a change is merited.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Can I add your O line did Allen no favors today. 

That’s putting it lightly.

I thought Allen was fine today given the circumstances. Did he have some poor throws? Throws that went too high, too wide, or too long? Absolutely.

But any other QB is getting sacked 6 or 7 times today.

Most importantly, Allen left the field with a LEAD and only 2 minutes left.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

So I'm going to make this point again about the offense, it wasn't nearly as terrible today as everyone seems to be making it out to be. Just straight up 1 INT 1 Punt 1 Turnover on downs, also a fumble, but that was the stupid ass 5 second try and do something ridiculous, which apparently we have no actual game plan for. Hell you lop off our first play of the game and we only got stopped twice.

Trouble was the Patriots kept us out of the endzone in the first half and we missed a pretty standard FG, weird miss too. Could and should the offense be better, yes, but it wasn't that bad today.

Game wise, the Patriots just played a good game, I mean it sucks but our defense, wheeling out in full body cast though so are they, didn't get it done and they took advantage of the moments they needed to. Sure we kept them to a FG at the start, but they get 7 after that INT to jump to a 10pt lead in a very slow moving game.

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Regarding Point #2)  I commented on the same thing today watching with my buddies.  I mentioned how I think Josh is far more athletically talented than Kelly ever was but you would never see Kelly sitting there, moping on the bench with a deer in the headlights look that is starting to become all too common with Allen lately.  I don't get it, I'm not sure where the fire has gone

In Kelly’s defense he was fueled by mounds and mounds of cocaine 

• Haha (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Josh isn’t going to use his legs then he just isn’t the Superman we knew him as. The dual threat is what made him great. We on purpose took 1 of those things away. Just couldn’t be dumber

Yup. I would rather get 10 years out of Superman Josh where he runs and abuses his body than 15-17 years out of whatever Josh we’ve seen in the first halves of the last three games

• Like (+1) 1

My fear with Allen is that he has come to think that life is more than football. He is thinking about life after football. He is thinking about Monday through Saturday. Football is now just a paycheck. He has a to of $, has already overachieved, has his Hollywood girlfriend. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So I'm going to make this point again about the offense, it wasn't nearly as terrible today as everyone seems to be making it out to be. Just straight up 1 INT 1 Punt 1 Turnover on downs, also a fumble, but that was the stupid ass 5 second try and do something ridiculous, which apparently we have no actual game plan for. Hell you lop off our first play of the game and we only got stopped twice.

Trouble was the Patriots kept us out of the endzone in the first half and we missed a pretty standard FG, weird miss too. Could and should the offense be better, yes, but it wasn't that bad today.

Game wise, the Patriots just played a good game, I mean it sucks but our defense, wheeling out in full body cast though so are they, didn't get it done and they took advantage of the moments they needed to. Sure we kept them to a FG at the start, but they get 7 after that INT to jump to a 10pt lead in a very slow moving game.

I agree. I had no issues with the offense today other than Knox’s awful drop.

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Your words are so important because you've endured this for the most amount of time here at TBD and your opinion to me is elevated over everyone elses except for Shaw66 of course. 

Let me pick your brain here for a minute... I don't think the Bills have had talent on the offensive side of the ball like Allen and Diggs before, and I don't think there is any historical Bills precedent for what is going on, even for the Bickering Bills year. So I'm going to go back to the Ground Chuck Bills with Chuck Knox. I was a little kid during those years, and from what I gather we were very successful then and suddenly everything fell apart and Knox left.

Do you think that we're in danger of falling apart like what happened at that time? Like I said, I can't think of any other historical time to compare it to.

• Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Josh Allen put this team in position to win or at the very least bring the game into overtime. There is no excuse for letting Mac Jones engineer a 2 minute TD drive. This is on McDermott and his defense. There are just too many injuries to overcome. The offense is going to have take a massive leap in the next few games or else I think Dorsey will get the boot. Seems like they blew their whole load on the Miami game. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The point of that thread was showing, historically, Super Bowl coaches have gotten there in X amount of time. After that, the data indicates that coaches will only go so far.

The time frame is 5 years. Head coaches with young QBs make it within the first 5 years. After that it’s almost never done. I provided a link with statistical proof at one point in the off-season and was blasted for it by most. I don’t have the link anymore. And I’m not going to bother looking for it. Just know that it’s almost never happened if ever. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Coaches have lost the room

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Josh Allen put this team in position to win or at the very least bring the game into overtime. There is no excuse for letting Mac Jones engineer a 2 minute TD drive. This is on McDermott and his defense. There are just too many injuries to overcome. The offense is going to have take a massive leap in the next few games or else I think Dorsey will get the boot. Seems like they blew their whole load on the Miami game. 

I agree on the defense.  That last drive was inexcusable.  

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Can you imagine being Allen? You played the game of your life two years ago against the best team in the NFL and never saw the ball again in a loss. Now you're playing with an injury to your throwing shoulder and it's deja vu, putting on your Superman cape to pull out a win and once again your defense fails you.

This regime is wasting an elite QB in his prime. Something needs to change, and while Allen has had his issues this year, he is not replaceable. Everyone in the front office and coaching staff is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.