Week 7 Bills @ Patriots - on to Foxborough!

Draconator

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

And one more.  Evidently Quintin Morris has a high ankle 😥 sprain:

Apparently he caught the TD pass on it.

McD did not mention anything about this in his Monday injury updates, at least not from what I heard.

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills running game is in inconsistent. Dorsey often abandons the run too. 

Your premise isn't correct either. Teams don't have to send a safety in the box to stop the run. Often that's a tactic but not a given or an absolute as your state. 

You make a lot of assumptions that just aren't facts. Teams can absolutely double Diggs. We've seen it almost every playoff game. Why you think Diggs disappears in the playoffs? Hint, it's not because he sucks. 

Who would you make you beat you if you were a D coordinator. The Bills run game or Diggs? 

The Bills typically don't run well when they don't use the right TYPE of runs...they can gash teams with under center runs often times but Dorsey seems hesitant to use them far too often and instead goes with shotgun runs which have limited success rates. 

And if they want to run from the shotgun, Dorsey should go back to the Kelly era Bills and study the counter trey out of the shotgun since that was a staple they ran and it was highly effective...not this hand the ball off up the middle crap that goes nowhere most times.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, WideNine said:

Some of the play calls have  been head scratchers but we had that with Dabs too. 

Most OCs have WTF moments. More concerning to me is how ready the offense is going into the games.

How crisp they are executing the plays? How many unforced penalties? How many missed blocks? How many drops or errant throws?

When I  see those miscues, I think they are not ready to play and that comes down to how dialed in they are in practice, and how well they understand the game plan, their roles, their protection schemes.

Last few weeks I would say it has been hard to point at one thing. A missed block here, a dropped pass there, a bad route, an errant throw, a fumble, a penalty...

When those things pile up, the offense looks disjointed and has no rhythm, and sputters to multiple 3 and outs.

IMO we need to clean that up, and then we can get into whatever the game plan on offense was supposed to be.

I always wonder whether team-wide poor performances like this--the mistakes here and there adding up--are due to preparation, team apathy, distraction, etc., or they're the result of a cascade effect. Gabe Davis doesn't trip, for example, and Allen hits him for a 30-yard gain that excites the crowd, leading Brown to focus just a bit more on his blocking and Knox on his catching. Really hard to know for sure. As an amateur athlete, I have off days that I just can't explain, and sometimes they seem to cause my teammates to lose focus, too. Works the other way, too. A single great play can change everything. 

In other words, the difference between a very bad and very good game might be very slim indeed. If true, some or most of the media pronouncements about the quality of a team or player could be just plain wrong. 

• Like (+1) 3

Knowing BB, I imagine the Pats game plan will be something like the following:

On offense, they will do their best to hide/protect Mac Jones by having him drop back to pass a minimal number of times. Maybe not to the extreme of the blizzard game from 2 years ago -- but I expect them to focus on the run and probably use a base with 6 offensive linemen hoping to get past our defensive line, which is missing our best interior run stuffer, and engulf our undersized LBs. If they have success doing this, it will allow them to control the game-flow and limit the number of possessions that our offense has. It also opens up their play-action passing game.

On defense, BB's goal has always been to try to eliminate the opponent's best player. That would be Diggs. And he has indeed done a pretty good job of limiting Diggs in the last few contests. This is a game where we need to see the other complimentary parts of the offense step up. Ironically, it was McK who stepped up against the Pats to make up for this in the last few contests we played against them. Could this be a breakout game for Hardy possibly?

The Bills are the better team and should be able to take care of business if the offense gets out of the funk they've had for the last couple of weeks and the defense can get off the field on 3rd down (or better, yet force turnovers). If we can jump on them early and get ahead by multiple scores, it could get ugly for them. But if we don't come out sharp, this has he makings of a real dogfight.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

On offense, they will do their best to hide/protect Mac Jones by having him drop back to pass a minimal number of times. Maybe not to the extreme of the blizzard game from 2 years ago -- but I expect them to focus on the run and probably use a base with 6 offensive linemen hoping to get past our defensive line, which is missing our best interior run stuffer, and engulf our undersized LBs. If they have success doing this, it will allow them to control the game-flow and limit the number of possessions that our offense has. It also opens up their play-action passing game.

On defense, BB's goal has always been to try to eliminate the opponent's best player. That would be Diggs. And he has indeed done a pretty good job of limiting Diggs in the last few contests. This is a game where we need to see the other complimentary parts of the offense step up. Ironically, it was McK who stepped up against the Pats to make up for this in the last few contests we played against them. Could this be a breakout game for Hardy possibly?

The Bills are the better team and should be able to take care of business if the offense gets out of the funk they've had for the last couple of weeks and the defense can get off the field on 3rd down (or better, yet force turnovers). If we can jump on them early and get ahead by multiple scores, it could get ugly for them. But if we don't come out sharp, this has he makings of a real dogfight.

It would be nice to have this game won by the 3rd quarter so we can pull the starters. Bills have a short week coming up with Tampa on Thursday. 

• Like (+1) 1

Two straight games of just aggravation from start to finish…it’s been a rough few weeks for us. Obviously you expect to win this game but I bet it’s another close one. That team is too physical and knows us too well to just get destroyed. I’d love it if we just had a comfortable win for a change but I’m certainly not expecting one.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

McD did not mention anything about this in his Monday injury updates, at least not from what I heard.

The Bills typically don't run well when they don't use the right TYPE of runs...they can gash teams with under center runs often times but Dorsey seems hesitant to use them far too often and instead goes with shotgun runs which have limited success rates. 

And if they want to run from the shotgun, Dorsey should go back to the Kelly era Bills and study the counter trey out of the shotgun since that was a staple they ran and it was highly effective...not this hand the ball off up the middle crap that goes nowhere most times.

Nice post. I really think it's scheme related. I mean look at the success of Moss in Indy. Most fans couldn't wait for Moss to go. You usually don't see such an uptick like that. 

15 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Nice post. I really think it's scheme related. I mean look at the success of Moss in Indy. Most fans couldn't wait for Moss to go. You usually don't see such an uptick like that. 

That's honestly purely volume, look at his carries/attempts in Buffalo vs the amount of carries he's getting in Indy. He had maybe 90-110 carries a year with the Bills. This year in Indy he's played 5 games and has 96 carries already. His stats are not THAT much better in Indy than they were here but his attempts per game is almost DOUBLE in Indy what it was in Buffalo.

Anyone else have issues trying to listen to the Bills live twitter feed of McD's press conferences?  Audio constantly cutting in and out for long stretches...usually you hear a question being asked and then it goes silent.  WTF is this?  Why even broadacast hime if you are going to mute his response??

No mention of Bernard or Williams so that is a positive.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

huh??

Last year Diggs had 7/92/1 TD and 7/104/1 TD in their games against the Pats

Two years ago he had 7/85/1 TD and in the wind game he had 4/51 and 3/60 (not needed much in the perfect offensive game I guess)

Three years ago he had 9/145/3 TD's and 6/92

Where exactly has BB been successful limiting Diggs?

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

On defense, BB's goal has always been to try to eliminate the opponent's best player. That would be Diggs. And he has indeed done a pretty good job of limiting Diggs in the last few contests.

Diggs' last four games vs. NE, with the most recent first:

7 catches for 104 yards and a TD

7 catches for 92 yards and a TD

3 catches for 60 yards (in the playoff game blowout)

7 catches for 85 yards and a TD

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

huh??

Last year Diggs had 7/92/1 TD and 7/104/1 TD in their games against the Pats

Two years ago he had 7/85/1 TD and in the wind game he had 4/51 and 3/60 (not needed much in the perfect offensive game I guess)

Three years ago he had 9/145/3 TD's and 6/92

Where exactly has BB been successful limiting Diggs?

Yesterday, I posted Diggs’s stats vs NE since he got here in 2020 and he has averaged 95 yards and a TD vs. the Pats in the six games. He’s done that against a multitude of approaches by BB; from single, to double, to bracketed coverage schemes.  Instead of acknowledging Diggs has had success vs. BB, the the poster for whose benefit I furnished those stats said BB will stop Diggs this year because Josh doesn’t run anymore and BB wont have to use a spy. I could only shake my head. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ed Oliver not practicing today.  Toe injury.

They've really got to be careful of leaning on him too much with DQ Jones out.

He was on the field Sunday more than I have ever seen him and if he starts getting nicked up, his play is going to suffer.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, WideNine said:

Some of the play calls have  been head scratchers but we had that with Dabs too. 

Most OCs have WTF moments. More concerning to me is how ready the offense is going into the games.

How crisp they are executing the plays? How many unforced penalties? How many missed blocks? How many drops or errant throws?

When I  see those miscues, I think they are not ready to play and that comes down to how dialed in they are in practice, and how well they understand the game plan, their roles, their protection schemes.

Last few weeks I would say it has been hard to point at one thing. A missed block here, a dropped pass there, a bad route, an errant throw, a fumble, a penalty...

When those things pile up, the offense looks disjointed and has no rhythm, and sputters to multiple 3 and outs.

IMO we need to clean that up, and then we can get into whatever the game plan on offense was supposed to be.

I listened to McD today. He addressed some of this and I agreed. The offense needs to execute. It starts there. You nailed it, just these wild lapses from all of them. And when they lack that focus and execution they can’t get into a rhythm. When they can’t get into a rhythm they fail. 

He also talked a bit about identifying what our weapons are good at, and putting them in positions to be successful. 

I thought it was a pretty fair inventory of the situation:

More focus and better execution. That includes our stars.

Better utilization of skill sets. 

Improve play calling and have an offensive identity. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

You obviously have not seen the Pats play. They made the  Saints look like a Juggernaut.

Pats O — is downright a mess. Receivers can’t get open on a regular basis and the O line is so bad I don’t remember a O line this bad and I’ve been a Pats fan since 1986.

Pats D — is legit but missing key pieces, and they may have Jack Jones back this week at CB but he will be rusty if he plays. The Pats are hard to run against but Allen should be able to pass all over them since the pass rush is dead.

score?

Bills 26

Pats 0

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yesterday, I posted Diggs’s stats vs NE since he got here in 2020 and he has averaged 95 yards and a TD vs. the Pats in the six games. He’s done that against a multitude of approaches by BB; from single, to double, to bracketed coverage schemes.  Instead of acknowledging Diggs has had success vs. BB, the the poster for whose benefit I furnished those stats said BB will stop Diggs this year because Josh doesn’t run anymore and BB wont have to use a spy. I could only shake my head. 

Belichick has literally had no answers for Allen defensively other than 70 mph winds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It's not the end of the world if the Pats win just one game all season.

They will get their hands on Williams or Maye (who I think is better and one hell of a prospect).

Nice prize for having a bad year with a bad team.

Question is.... Is it BB with Williams or Maye or is it a new HC/GM?

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

We’re doing more from under center this year than we were any other Daboll/Dorsey offense. He was was also traded 

I think Moss would fit in this 2023 offense. But Harris and Murray are nice additions. 

Worth nothing he was traded Nov 1. He didn’t spend much time under OC Dorsey. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

We’re doing more from under center this year than we were any other Daboll/Dorsey offense. He was was also traded 

I think Moss would fit in this 2023 offense. But Harris and Murray are nice additions. 

Worth nothing he was traded Nov 1. He didn’t spend much time under OC Dorsey. 

But how much do the Bills run under center? That has to be put into the equation. 

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's not the end of the world if the Pats win just one game all season.

They will get their hands on Williams or Maye (who I think is better and one hell of a prospect).

Nice prize for having a bad year with a bad team.

Question is.... Is it BB with Williams or Maye or is it a new HC/GM?

I am thinking Mayo will be the HC next year just not sure who the GM will be.

57 minutes ago, uninja said:

That's honestly purely volume, look at his carries/attempts in Buffalo vs the amount of carries he's getting in Indy. He had maybe 90-110 carries a year with the Bills. This year in Indy he's played 5 games and has 96 carries already. His stats are not THAT much better in Indy than they were here but his attempts per game is almost DOUBLE in Indy what it was in Buffalo.

I agree with the volume. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

It's not so much as the WTF momonents, it just seems to be so vanilla.  Throw to Diggs, run from shotgun then throw to Diggs. Just doesn't seem to be any creativity or real flow. Plus running basically the same O that Daboll was running. It just seems stale. No sweeps, barely use our TE's. 

I'm not a hater of Dorsey,  I just expected more "creativity" from a QB minded OC. At least Dabs had some gadget plays in his pocket. 

With McD being a D minded coach and now running the D I just think he should have a very well experienced OC. Especially because I think he is the kind of coach that puts a lot of trust in the hands of others (delegates). 

Maybe I'm wrong and McD is calling for a basic O gameplan and wants to control the game with the D?🤔  Just would seem odd when you have Josh as your QB.

I'll wait to see what the O does this weekend, but if Dorsey doesn't kick it up a notch or two, Whoa Nellie, it's going to get loud around here!😱

I'll admit last week's game plan seemed uninspired, but so many plays were left on the field that it may have been a good plan going in - who knows?

It devolved into funnel everything to Diggs who makes plays and to Murray to dig us out of a rutt rushing and providing the occasional veteran pass pro that Cook is still lacking in his game.

We show jet motion a lot, but rarely actually use it. Allen looked better operating more from under center in that 12 personnel package.

I think they missed having Kincaid in the lineup just for the way defenses have to account for him with their LBs, S, or Nickel defenders.

We will see if they execute better this week. They just need to stack executing and winning reps one at a time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

That's the thing.....not nearly enough imo

On a more positive note, it did not take McD long to make the defensive adjustment to the trap plays that were springing Barkley loose.

In past seasons I would watch us get run over for half the game by a run scheme before the defense made the necessary adjustments.

That is an improvement.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am thinking Mayo will be the HC next year just not sure who the GM will be.

Obviously never know how these things eventually turn out, but he is an interesting one to me and I just get the feeling he could be a good HC, especially if he can be in a situation to have something to work with or build upon

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

On a more positive note, it did not take McD long to make the defensive adjustment to the trap plays that were springing Barkley loose.

In past seasons I would watch us get run over for half the game by a run scheme before the defense made the necessary adjustments.

That is an improvement.

You're correct and that's what you expect in a DC/HC. Adjustments have to be made, but some just do it sooner than others I guess...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I listened to McD today. He addressed some of this and I agreed. The offense needs to execute. It starts there. You nailed it, just these wild lapses from all of them. And when they lack that focus and execution they can’t get into a rhythm. When they can’t get into a rhythm they fail. 

He also talked a bit about identifying what our weapons are good at, and putting them in positions to be successful. 

That's pretty much McDermottese for calling out Dorsey to get his ***** together.  People that want McDermott to be more critical or lay into him haven't been paying attention to how he talks about people.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

That's pretty much McDermottese for calling out Dorsey to get his ***** together.  People that want McDermott to be more critical or lay into him haven't been paying attention to how he talks about people.

I actually think McD will call out staff pretty quickly with stuff like "We have to be better with what we are seeing out there" and other general platitudes. 

While yes, I think McD is calling out Dorsey when he says "Understanding what our players strengths are, and putting them in a position to succeed" type stuff. But I think when McD was talking about the offenses failure to execute keeping them out of rhythm, I think he is calling out the players. 

Both things are/can be true at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I actually think McD will call out staff pretty quickly with stuff like "We have to be better with what we are seeing out there" and other general platitudes. 

While yes, I think McD is calling out Dorsey when he says "Understanding what our players strengths are, and putting them in a position to succeed" type stuff. But I think when McD was talking about the offenses failure to execute keeping them out of rhythm, I think he is calling out the players. 

Both things are/can be true at the same time. 

agreed, and I would wager McD is much more 'candid' with both staff and players inside the building. He's that No BS Dad all the way (that's a compliment).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think it's part of Dorsey's job to extract more out of the players we have. But I also think we've done the Diggs-Davis-scrub WR routine in 2022 and now into 2023 and we're seeing largely the same results. A Diggs centric passing game, with occasional spikes from Davis, and everyone else is sporadic (although I do still like Shakir). 

Baring a trade, the only potential to be different is how good Kincaid can be, and be utilized (unless we're banking on the Bills opening up Josh run plays again, or executing a better screen game with Cook). 

But can Dorsey extract 30-33 ppg from this offense? Is 28 ppg "enough"? Or is the main goal to shrink the outlier games? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Here’s a question does anybody not think that the bills are not going to get past the slump?

What does not get past mean? 

Does it mean I don't think they'll score 30 ppg the rest of the year - no. 

Does it mean that they won't make the Playoffs? 

What is the exit criteria here? 

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think it's part of Dorsey's job to extract more out of the players we have. But I also think we've done the Diggs-Davis-scrub WR routine in 2022 and now into 2023 and we're seeing largely the same results. A Diggs centric passing game, with occasional spikes from Davis, and everyone else is sporadic (although I do still like Shakir). 

Baring a trade, the only potential to be different is how good Kincaid can be, and be utilized (unless we're banking on the Bills opening up Josh run plays again, or executing a better screen game with Cook). 

But can Dorsey extract 30-33 ppg from this offense? Is 28 ppg "enough"? Or is the main goal to shrink the outlier games? 

This is an excellent point and very true. 

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dang, Ed Oliver DNP.

Two bits of positive news there!

Bills are banged up for sure. Dane and Knox will likely be managing those injuries all season. Could really use a bye week sooner rather than later but hopefully the Bills can just manage things for now and maybe add a piece or two at the trade deadline 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Baring a trade, the only potential to be different is how good Kincaid can be, and be utilized. 

They are currently number 3 in the league, so at scale 28.8 points is enough to be one of the best scoring offenses in the league. They will struggle some more, they will boom some more and likely finish around 30 points and in the top 5. 

The current frustration feels like the same frustrations others have had for 3, 4, 5 years coming home to roost. That is that this offense never ever seems to make it look easy and are/have been inconsistent. We never get our TE's involved, we rarely throw to our receiving backs, we are better than everybody at 3rd and long, but we keep getting ourselves in 3rd and long because we take too many low percentage chances. Even the Diggs targets have been high since he got here, he has gone 166, 164, and 154 targets since he got here. 

This has been the gist of our offense for years. it is time for it to take the next step. Part of that is the OC. But part is also player execution. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.