What is going on with the offensive juggernauts?

Royale with Cheese

The Bills, Chiefs and Bengals are all off this year.  All 3 have had great games but not anywhere near consistent as in the past.  All 3 has had lackluster performances against really poor teams.

About a 3rd of the season is complete and these offenses are nowhere near the level of production they should be at.  

Do you think defenses are figuring these offenses out?  Or are these mainly issues with these offenses?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills, Chiefs and Bengals are all off this year.  All 3 have had great games but not anywhere near consistent as in the past.  All 3 has had lackluster performances against really poor teams.

About a 3rd of the season is complete and these offenses are nowhere near the level of production they should be at.  

Do you think defenses are figuring these offenses out?  Or are these mainly issues with these offenses?

KC lost week 1 because of drops (and a pretty big pick 6).  Bills lost in london, and drops had a lot to do with it.  Bengals throw a ton of short stuff and either burrows just a bit off or they aren't getting as much space.  Higgins has also been awful in his contract year.  

Every case is different, imo.

I think KC is no longer a juggernaut.  Their WR corps is weak.  

I think Cincy's issues can largely be traced to Burrow's injury.

With Buffalo, it's been a rough couple of weeks.  But the 3 weeks prior were all pretty stellar. So, we're inconsistent.  I think last night might have been different if a few plays didn't happen (the tipped ball for INT, the Davis fumble). Seemed like we got on the Giants' side of the field plenty, but just fizzled out w/ turnovers or missed FG's.

• Agree 4

Don't leave the Eagles out of this.

Since they lost their O coordinator, they look pretty pedestrian, minus the brotherly shove.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Chiefs have Kelce and nobody else. I think our guys outside of Diggs are better than the Chiefs outside of Kelce.

that's pretty bad for them

• Like (+1) 1

Bengals excuse was injury.. but Burrow looked healthy yesterday and the offense was pretty bad.  

Bills/Chiefs..  I think it's two-fold:

-Teams are playing them both in a way that attempts to force Mahomes and Allen to be check down merchants and neither of them wants to do that.  

-Both teams have big cap numbers to consider at QB.  It's why the Bills are depending on two guys on rookie contracts and some JAG's in the passing game around Diggs, while the Chiefs are doing the same around Kelce.  

Nobody is scared of MVS, Rice and Moore.   Nobody is scared of Davis, Harty and release valve Kincaid.   They are completely fine with both guys throwing short to guys that haven't shown they can do a ton to make defenses regret it. 

• Agree 2

Cincinnati always starts slow. Burrow always misses time in camp and needs actual games to get going. The only difference is that they didn't win the games in which he played bad. They seemed back in the first half yesterday and then proceeded to put up only 3 points in the second half. But that fits the pattern of second-half lulls that they fell into all last season. Here is a typical Bengals regular season game from last season. Win 22-18, scoring all of the points in the first half.  https://www.nfl.com/games/bengals-at-patriots-2022-reg-16?active-tab=watch . That's why I had hope in the playoff game at halftime, but they broke that pattern and kept scoring.

I think KC is bored with the regular season, and with the playoffs a given they are sleepwalking through the first half of the season.

I have no idea what is going on in Buffalo. 

I think some of it can be chalked up to the fact that it was one of those weekends: Cincy, Buffalo, KC, Philly, and SF (five of the league's six best teams; the other is Miami) all failed to score 20 points. Cincy should have lost, SF and Philly did lose (due in part to stupidly aggressive play-calling on their final possession), and KC failed to get 20 points at home against a historically bad Denver defense. Just a weird early-part-of the-midseason weekend. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Chiefs have Kelce and nobody else. I think our guys outside of Diggs are better than the Chiefs outside of Kelce.

Eh, I think that's more of a wash than anything. But KC has an all-time offensive mind scheming up their plays to help out their middling talent. Us not so much. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just the NFL in 2023. Defenses have fought back a bit. Other than Miami no offense really looks like it is firing to me.

There are a lot of teams that drafted high for several recent years in a row that managed to hit on some choice defensive talent. Jets obviously, but also Jags, Washington, even Cleveland. Not surprising the pendulum has swung back that way, at least until the big contracts come due for those teams. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Every case is different, imo.

I think KC is no longer a juggernaut.  Their WR corps is weak.  

I think Cincy's issues can largely be traced to Burrow's injury.

With Buffalo, it's been a rough couple of weeks.  But the 3 weeks prior were all pretty stellar. So, we're inconsistent.  I think last night might have been different if a few plays didn't happen (the tipped ball for INT, the Davis fumble). Seemed like we got on the Giants' side of the field plenty, but just fizzled out w/ turnovers or missed FG's.

The Bengals looked good against the Cards but yesterday, they looked bad again.  Geno Smith took two consecutive sacks on 4th down in the last two drives.  The Bengals got lucky like we did yesterday.

• Agree 3

We were saying similar things last year.  CIN and KC were in disarray early while Buffalo was looking unbeatable.  In 2021 our offense was a mess until the second half of the Bucs game.  Like KC and PHI its important for us to continue to win ugly while we figure it out on offense.  Hopefully it starts clicking soon.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

We were saying similar things last year.  CIN and KC were in disarray early while Buffalo was looking unbeatable.  In 2021 our offense was a mess until the second half of the Bucs game.  Like KC and PHI its important for us to continue to win ugly while we figure it out on offense.  Hopefully it starts clicking soon.  

There are definitely ebbs and flows over the course of an NFL season. All teams go through ups and downs for any number of reasons. It's still quite early even though it's the beginning phase of midseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think offense is looking kinda bad across the league. I do blame some of it on offenses running mostly only shotgun, and the lack of the run game.

It’s a passing league, you don’t pay big money to running backs, but I think the run game is still mightily important and being neglected. Most of these guys coming from college are not comfortable under center and that deletes a decent portion of the playbook. 
Buffalo really turned the momentum last night on that really long drive by simply manning up and pounding the ball a few yards at a time. Changed the whole game around. 

• Like (+1) 2

I know that YESTERDAY it was weird. The run game was quite decent, and Josh had good enough a game, that I still don't get how they were scoreless after 3 quarters!

Chiefs have lost players, and Bengals have a suspect OLine and wounded QB. Let's revisit this in week 12. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think offense is looking kinda bad across the league. I do blame some of it on offenses running mostly only shotgun, and the lack of the run game.

It’s a passing league, you don’t pay big money to running backs, but I think the run game is still mightily important and being neglected. Most of these guys coming from college are not comfortable under center and that deletes a decent portion of the playbook. 
Buffalo really turned the momentum last night on that really long drive by simply manning up and pounding the ball a few yards at a time. Changed the whole game around. 

100% agree on the college not comfortable under center statement.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Miami and SF get it: you need to load up your offense with weapons instead of just relying on the QB

The Niners lost to the Chiefs in 2020, 31-20.   That's the last time they went to the Super Bowl, and most of their offensive weapons have been added since then.   More to the point, the Niners not only have lots of offensive weapons, they also have a seriously good defense with guys like Bosa and Warner. 

The Carp haven't been to the Super Bowl since 1985.  

The Chiefs and Eagles have been to the Super Bowl 5 times in the last 6 Super Bowls.  KC sacrificed some offensive firepower in order to bulk up their OL and defense after getting smacked by Tampa Bay in 2021.  Philadelphia has always had great offensive and defensive lines, and that's been the key to their success for more than a decade.  The Bills have been trying to model themselves like KC and Philly:  investing cap space and draft capital in the defense and this past year, the offensive line.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think some of it can be chalked up to the fact that it was one of those weekends: Cincy, Buffalo, KC, Philly, and SF (five of the league's six best teams; the other is Miami) all failed to score 20 points. Cincy should have lost, SF and Philly did lose (due in part to stupidly aggressive play-calling on their final possession), and KC failed to get 20 points at home against a historically bad Denver defense. Just a weird early-part-of the-midseason weekend. 

I think it was the rebellion of the bottom feeders.   The two undefeated teams lost to teams playing back-up QBs!  The Chiefs and Bills struggled against teams that shouldn't have had a prayer to win.  Finally, the Seahawks had looked a whole lot better than the Bengals this season.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just the NFL in 2023. Defenses have fought back a bit. Other than Miami no offense really looks like it is firing to me.

The Carp look good beating up on bottom feeders, but the Bills smacked them around.   They may not look so good against the Eagles.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Miami and SF get it: you need to load up your offense with weapons instead of just relying on the QB

Two teams with QBs on rookie contracts... Miami's window is this year, maybe next.  SF struck gold with a cheap game manager.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think it was the rebellion of the bottom feeders.   The two undefeated teams lost to teams playing back-up QBs!  The Chiefs and Bills struggled against teams that shouldn't have had a prayer to win.  Finally, the Seahawks had looked a whole lot better than the Bengals this season.

LOL!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Chiefs and Bills struggled against teams that shouldn't have had a prayer to win.

Chiefs didn’t scored many points and are still figuring out their offense. But at no point in that game did it looked like Denver had a chance. When KC went up 10-0 it was done. Meanwhile, the Bills gave me and the rest of the fanbase a heart attack right up to literally the last second of the game. I don’t think the two performances were similar at all. 

Let’s hope Bills can muster up the ability to give us a stress free win against the Pats this week. 

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

Chiefs didn’t scored many points and are still figuring out their offense. But at no point in that game did it looked like Denver had a chance. When KC went up 10-0 it was done. Meanwhile, the Bills gave me and the rest of the fanbase a heart attack right up to literally the last second of the game. I don’t think the two performances were similar at all. 

Let’s hope Bills can muster up the ability to give us a stress free win against the Pats this week. 

In previous years, they might very well have hung a 40 burger on the hapless Broncos.  

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

In previous years, they might very well have hung a 40 burger on the hapless Broncos.  

For sure. Their offense is not the same as past seasons. Only 1 reliable pass catcher just like the Bills. But they didn’t struggled to win against that hapless Broncos team. It was won in the 1st quarter.

If their offense doesn’t improve they will struggle against better competition. See their game against the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

Play your best football in Dec/Jan that's the key, especially the later.

I think KC is hosed.  Their D is good but I think at some point things break down for them.   Buffalo I know has better offensive weapons than KC but who knows if the D can hold up and won't sustain more injuries.

Miami is scary efficient on O but we shall see what happens when the weather turns and they play some better defenses.  They still have Philly, KC, Dallas, Balt, Buf and the Jets x2

We will see about the Chargers tonight but they might be sneaky good later in the season and Cincinnati with Burrow healing will be a factor for sure.  

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This was a weird ass weekend of football, I blame mercury being in retrograde.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I just wish the NFL would stop giving KC the Patriot treatment with the Refs 

Just saying the rough the passer call on Allen was pretty weak...

27 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think KC is hosed.  Their D is good but I think at some point things break down for them.   Buffalo I know has better offensive weapons than KC but who knows if the D can hold up and won't sustain more injuries. 

NE after their run from 01-04 was pretty tired looking in the following two seasons as some guys aged out and they retooled a bit. KC reminds me of that where they are still incredibly good, but their not the level on offense they were from 2018-22. I still never sleep on them and unfortunately their schedule is pretty weak so I feel the 1 seed might still be theirs unless LAC can win finally against them and BUF/CIN/MIA/PHI can get a few defeats on them down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

Offensive line problems, offensive line problems, and offensive line problems lol olines are just completely outmatched these days and the gap is getting bigger in favor of the defensive line.  Even these ‘bad’ teams are loaded with disruptive players on the dline 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GottaRun said:

Two teams with QBs on rookie contracts... Miami's window is this year, maybe next.  SF struck gold with a cheap game manager.

I just watched a video on Brock Purdy’s past few games and whilst he isn’t a great or elite QB he certainly isn’t a “game manager”. 

they were talking about a play where Shanahan routinely calls deep posts and the amount of times he’s lead the receiver underneath the coverage or away from it is consistent of someone who is merely not just a “game manager” but someone who is reading and reacting to what the defense is giving him. 

Again, is he a great or elite QB? No. Not yet at least. But there’s signs that he’s got potential to put together a very solid career. 

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it’s a mix of matchups and defense getting the upper hand early on.  As the season goes on, I feel you’ll see a counter and wouldn’t be surprised to see the three teams you mention shape up into top form in December

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.