The biggest blunder of the game IMO

ChronicAndKnuckles

The decision to kick a 53 FG when already up 4+ points knowing your kicker has been shaky and shanked another 53 yarder earlier in the game.

Missing the kick would put the Giants in good field position w/ a time out to work with and ample time to dink & dunk their way down to the red zone.

If McDermott would’ve punted, it would’ve placed the Giants around the 10 (who haven’t scored a TD in multiple games) and made them drive 90 yards! This decision would’ve eliminated all those Trent Edwards check downs and forced Tyrod to make multiple big plays. I’m sure the analytics would back this up all day. 

I know it’s irrelevant now, but the Bills are darn lucky to have escaped this game w/ a win. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 20
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The decision to kick a 53 FG when already up 4+ points knowing your kicker has been shaky and shanked another 53 yarder earlier in the game.

Missing the kick would put the Giants in good field position w/ a time out to work with and ample time to dink & dunk their way down to the red zone.

If McDermott would’ve punted, it would’ve placed the Giants around the 10 (who haven’t scored a TD in multiple games) and made them drive 90 yards! This decision would’ve eliminated all those Trent Edwards check downs and forced Tyrod to make multiple big plays. I’m sure the analytics would back this up all day. 

I know it’s irrelevant now, but the Bills are darn lucky to have escaped this game w/ a win. 

Agreed. If Mahomes had thrown the last pass of the game, the officials would have ripped their pants off throwing a flag

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I said on 2nd down that I hoped he'd trust his defense and let Bass try it to go up 8.

I stand by that and think it was the right call.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Agreed. If Mahomes had thrown the last pass of the game, the officials would have ripped their pants off throwing a flag

I don’t think I’ve ever seen two 50/50 pis called in a row leading to untimed downs in my life and I don’t think mahomes gets both those calls either 

I think that’s just as controversial if not more so than what actually ended up happening 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen two 50/50 pis called in a row leading to untimed downs in my life and I don’t think mahomes gets both those calls either 

There's no way Taron didn't interfere with Waller on that last pass. Had his back turned to the QB the whole time and hooked his left arm to prevent making the catch

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Or you make that kick and the giants have to go 75 yards and score a td and an extra point just to tie…right decision bad result imo.  Giants still had plenty of time to get down the field and one of your corners is kaiir elam 

They would have to score a TD regardless ! Forget about the 2 point conversion. They would need to go 90 yards instead of working from damn near mid field. I thought it was absolutely idiotic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, buffalo2218 said:

There's no way Taron didn't interfere with Waller on that last pass. Had his back turned to the QB the whole time and hooked his left arm to prevent making the catch

I don’t think Waller got the call cuz he had his hands on taron too…it was probably pi and if they didn’t get a questionable one a play earlier they probably would’ve called it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They would have to score a TD regardless ! Forget about the 2 point conversion. They would need to go 90 yards instead of working from damn near mid field. I thought it was absolutely idiotic.

They’d need to score a td to outright win rather than a td and a whole other play just to tie? Why should we just ignore that point? Lol

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Absolutely. It was a crap non-call and I’d be furious if it happened against the Bills, but the refs made it rain flags on us during the London game.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Daboll made the biggest blunders. One was the poor time management at the end of first half to lose the FG opportunity. Then at the end of the game where he called a pass play when they were gashing the Bills on the ground. 

Bills escaped with a lucky win. Also, the unreliable Davis and Knox were in full force with a fumble and drop at critical times 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They’d need to score a td to outright win rather than a td and a whole other play just to tie? Why should we just ignore that point? Lol

Because you trust that your defense is going to hold an offense (starting a backup QB ) who hasn’t scored a TD in 10+ quarters. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, short of tackling the receiver mid end zone, I can’t see a flag coming out on a second consecutive potential game ender. You got an untimed down from the one, those flags aren’t coming out for anything less than a takedown. Just sort of an unwritten rule, and it is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How many times have you seen Tyrod Taylor come from behind in a final drive?  When he was Bills QB I never trusted him to come back late in the 4th quarter.  However, if by some miracle he did, I'd rather try to get up by 8 rather than to give him the chance to beat me with a TD & punt with a 5 point lead.  

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think Daboll made the biggest blunders. One was the poor time management at the end of first half to lose the FG opportunity. Then at the end of the game where he called a pass play when they were gashing the Bills on the ground. 

Bills escaped with a lucky win. Also, the unreliable Davis and Knox were in full force with a fumble and drop at critical times 

Daboll beat himself, but we know Giants fans are going to blame the refs. 

15 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

You trust your great kicker. 

You trust your defensive line u dolled out millions of dollars and multiple high draft picks too. You have faith in your own players and scheme. 

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

How many times have you seen Tyrod Taylor come from behind in a final drive?  When he was Bills QB I never trusted him to come back late in the 4th quarter.  However, if by some miracle he did, I'd rather try to get up by 8 rather than to give him the chance to beat me with a TD & punt with a 5 point lead.  

I just feel like it’s a losing mentality. Punt the ball and let Rousseau and AJE cook. That’s what they were drafted so highly to do 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The daboll pass on 3rd and 1 near the ten yards line then proceed to kick a FG to go up 9-7 was the ball game instead of going for it on fourth

Worst case you don't pick the first down up and force the bills to go 90 yards for a TD and if they do you're still down one score best case you end up forcing a punt and only need a FG to win 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I mean idk how lucky it is the defense still has to get the stop…running saquon with one play to go in the half is a risk but it’s still a pretty high percentage play 

the uncalled pi was lucky ish I’d say but I think that was a bit of gamesmanship on tarons part knowing it was the last play of the game and it started as a handfight and they had just called one.  I don’t think that flag gets thrown too often 

diggs got straight up tackled in the end zone down the stretch of the game against the bucs a few years ago and no call 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I

the uncalled pi was lucky ish I’d say but I think that was a bit of gamesmanship on tarons part knowing it was the last play of the game and it started as a handfight and they had just called one.  I don’t think that flag gets thrown too often 

I didn't think it was PI tbh. I think it was a good play by Taron and a non-flag was the  right thing

• Like (+1) 4

Giants end of 2nd Qtr run which was stuffed and the clock ran out

Bills 3rd down play to Knox. Now hear out my thoughts. Knowing McD felt comfortable taking a shot to Knox to end the game, McD took a risk allowing Giants to preserve final timeout. Now that plays in the FG decision. You are going for a kick where you could have at the very least run the ball for a minimal or no gain and forced Daboll to burn his final timeout. Now schematically you take your two biggest advantages the lead and field position, and allow the Giants the ball and a timeout with 1:24 to go at their 43. So you end up gaining no advantage. Run the ball on the third down. Then punt inside the Giants 15. Assuming the worst case scenario it’s Giants ball 1st and 10 at their 20 with 1:20 or so to go and no timeouts. That’s a 23 yard change of field position and no timeouts. Assuming the exact plays transpire it’s Tyrod running out of time around midfield as the Giants wouldn’t have had their final timeout. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The biggest blunder is one the Bills make a lot.  It's called, playing down to your opponent's level.  The Bills rise up to beat Miami convincingly, then seem to lose focus against weaker teams.  In college, you can get away with this since even top teams have really bad teams on their schedule.  In the pros, not so muich.  Look at the Eagles and 49ers, who both lost to patched up teams with real problems.  So the Bills aren't the only high-level team to have this problem, but it's the factor that separates the top teams from the rest of the good ones.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The 3rd down pass to Knox could’ve ended the game right there, but by falling incomplete, it stopped the clock and saved the Giants their final timeout.

I don’t know how many of you watched the postgame but they showed that Taron Johnson should’ve been called for holding on the last play.  Flag not thrown, game over!

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yep.

Daboll is the smartest guy in the room until he is unequivocally the dumbest guy in said room.    

Dorsey is frustrating us all but he has a harder job now than Daboll did when he was here...........the WR corps is significantly less talented/reliable and the QB seems like maybe he now has so much more clout than the OC that he's able to choose to play in shotgun even when it's pretty obvious that he is far better under center............but Daboll still managed to steal the show with 2 first and goals at the 1 yard line that came away with zero points.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Hated it. If Josh had ran on the third down and got 5 yards or so that were there for him, fine, kick it. They now are down 8, 1.10 or so and zero time out. 

Once they got no yardage they 100% should have punted IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think that’s just as controversial if not more so than what actually ended up happening 

I have seen it. You are also wrong Mahomes not only would get the call he wouldn’t have messed up at the end of the 1st half and not gotten at least 3 points out of that drive. Taylor gifted the Bills the win with that dumb brain cramp right there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

The 3rd down pass to Knox could’ve ended the game right there, but by falling incomplete, it stopped the clock and saved the Giants their final timeout.

I don’t know how many of you watched the postgame but they showed that Taron Johnson should’ve been called for holding on the last play.  Flag not thrown, game over!

Everybody watched it that’s not cut and dry a penalty.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

But Brady woulda got the call twice.

😠 😡 😤 😣 

10 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

A call that should have cost us the game. 

53 yard is makeable. Had plenty of leg!

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It was a tough situation. Both choices can be argued for and against.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hated it. If Josh had ran on the third down and got 5 yards or so that were there for him, fine, kick it. They now are down 8, 1.10 or so and zero time out. 

The field likely was a little slick by that point, too.  (There was a mist that might both have been perceptible on TV.). I would have punted, too.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

The biggest blunder is one the Bills make a lot.  It's called, playing down to your opponent's level.  The Bills rise up to beat Miami convincingly, then seem to lose focus against weaker teams.  In college, you can get away with this since even top teams have really bad teams on their schedule.  In the pros, not so muich.  Look at the Eagles and 49ers, who both lost to patched up teams with real problems.  So the Bills aren't the only high-level team to have this problem, but it's the factor that separates the top teams from the rest of the good ones.

This isn’t correct imo.  We routinely pound inferior teams. That’s why our win margin is the best in football by the widest of margins since 2020.  

We put up stinkers from time to time.  Like most teams

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

aside from miami, this is the theme of our O.  the plays we call do not set up future plays, nor make sense in the context of the score, time, and field location.

dorsey is playing madden like my 7 year old son.  just calls whatever pass or run pops up first.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.