Is Tyrod Taylor the Giants QB Sunday night ?

Teddy KGB

It sure is looking that way. Jones has a sore neck and hasn't practiced the past 2 days. The Giants have one of the worst if not the worst OL's in the league. The Bills lead the league in sacks with 21. Why risk getting him killed in a game where they have a very slim chance to win.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills historically don't defend running QBs well over multiple regimes. I have no actual proof of that, just a gut feeling. The notable exception is Lamar who they seem to defend well.

That said I'm not sure who is the bigger run threat Jones or Taylor. 

Taylor was a run threat probably more because of Greg Roman than anything else.

This game should be over mid 3rd quarter. 

Bills should not need to attempt a pass after the first drive of the second half. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bills should not need to attempt a pass after the first drive of the second half. 

That's an interesting  point.  Could be a good stats-padding night for the running backs.  Makes for a quick game at night.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bills historically don't defend running QBs well over multiple regimes. I have no actual proof of that, just a gut feeling. The notable exception is Lamar who they seem to defend well.

I think the Bills are actually really good against mobile QBs not named Wentz

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

DO you remember what the Bills did to the Ravens in the playoffs?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

The only thing I will say about this game that the Bills need to watch is the Giants defense is healthy. They did force 3 turnovers last week at Miami including a 100-yard pick 6. With that said the Bills should still win big here. The only chance the Giants have is if they force turnovers. I don't see the Giants offense moving the ball too much on the Bills defense.

The plan against Tyrod hasn't changed much since 2015.  Make him play quarterback.  Contain, muddy up the reads, and he will hold the ball.  He's elusive when moving up field but he doesn't have the arm to make splash plays while eluding pressure behind the LOS.  So you're either sacking him, or pressuring him into trouble. 

Put it this way - with normal to good offensive lines... he's sacked at an 8-10% clip.  With the Giants offensive line you would expect more.  

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Pretty sure at this stage in their careers, Jones is the better runner.  When he's on and scrambling a lot, he can be dangerous.  Not so much has gone right for them this season though.  Tyrod can still take off and get a first down when needed too.

• Agree 1

Tyrod is our worst case scenario. For all of Danny Dimes youth and talents, he has limited processing power and little elusiveness. Taylor has years of experience, knows when to leave the pocket, and will trigger on the gimme throws that we give up easily like slants. Their OL is terrible, but it would seem the right time to try 17 screen passes if Barkley is active. Not to mention their play action game would be more convincing. 

22 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

His best Russel Wilson impression!

Wilson had 2 INTs last night. Tyrod Taylor is too much of a scaredy cat to throw a pass where it might get picked.

Much safer to eat a sack, throw it away, or pass it behind the line of scrimmage. Especially on 3rd down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

no kidding. Just looked and you’re right. No idea why I thought that. 

He doesn’t look athletic.. yet he is.   He’s going to be a very rich man for what will amount to a 7 year career.  I can’t imagine anybody is going to sign him after they cut him I before the 2025 season.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Who are these run QB’s that have hurt the Bills?

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

we did a great job against Fields last Christmas Eve, too (and also missing a few defensive starters IIRC).

There is a certain level cringe worthy fan reaction to how ex players are received when visiting with a new team.  Every player need not be booed as some collective knee jerk reaction to them having left, whatever the circumstances were.  In Tyrod's case, he was traded for a Brown's 3rd round pick.  He gave it his all and represented the team well while here.  I think his two best games as a Bill were ones in 2016 which were given away by Rex Ryan's lack of attention to detail.  Seahawks and home Dolphins.

image.thumb.png.3e67565785bea19a87e7d090c471a613.png

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Same—notification from my NFL network app. Hopefully this won’t turn into a trap game for us now, where any old scrub suddenly “hangs” in there against our depeleted D, making it way too close! 

I’ve thought this is a trap game since before last weeks debacle. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen but I’m not confident 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.