McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

14 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

If he would have done as you say, (I was shouting not to do this) and the Giants won, you'd be saying he's an idiot for not giving Josh freaking Allen a shot to put the game away. Or someone else would. Thousand different opinions and ways to critique, but in the end a win is a win. Just like the Chiefs near loss to the Texans last year. Just like the Dolphins near loss to the Pats this year. 

You have to give yourself a chance to keep the clock running. We ran the only possible series of plays (pass followed by an attempted FG) that could give the Giants good field position with 1 TO remaining. Any other possible outcome was better than that. Our offense has been awful most of the night and Knox has not been dependable at all this year. Bass already has a missed kick tonight. So why are we calling two plays that rely on Knox and then Bass to win the game for us? It's awful coaching. Follow the advantage you have in the game which for us was that the Giants offense mostly looked hopeless. Give them the ball with 1 minute left no TOs and starting from inside the 20. Easy choice against a team like this.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chugga said:

Agreed.  In big moments we need to have a game plan and I don’t think we had one on our last drive.  If you’re going for the FG then run it 3 times.  If you’re going for the win then let Josh loose.  But playing some weird middle ground gave the giants a short field and a time out.  It’s one or the other they don’t get both.

It's a tough spot there given the area of the field, a 5 point lead, and the Giants having all three time outs.  I think you have to play the first set of downs normally and commit to picking up a first down with your best set of plays and then work to burn clock/timeouts after that.  If you don't get the first, then punt.  If you do, then run three times and kick a 40ish yard field goal with 1:10 on the clock and the Giants exhausted of timeouts.  What they did was try to split the difference and then they were caught in no man's land on 4th down. 

It was definitely a mistake by McDermott, but I feel like he's been good with his clock management for the most part over the years (compared with a guy like Andy Reid), so I can give him a pass for a bad game tonight.

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Knox’s drops are becoming a big issue.  He is continually letting down this offense. 

He is struggling this season Knox and I have been one of his biggest fans and defenders. But so far this year he hasn't made plays when they have come to him. 

It wasn't a great throw by Josh (by his own admission) on that final offensive play but it was a makeable catch. 

7 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

1st TD tonight was Dorsey's play.

Yay, so Dorky had one good play call/design in the past two games, guess that is good enough for some fans!

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Knox’s drops are becoming a big issue.  He is continually letting down this offense. 

I like Knox but this is true, they are an issue.

Edited by LarryMadman

He’s got the rest of the season to figure out some consistency.  If he can’t- There’s a decent chance he’s replaced.

He’s a good coach- but he needs to be a championship coach. I feel bad for him that his defense has been decimated by injury 2 straight season……but we need to see more consistency imo

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The worst is when they talk about how disciplined McD and his teams are. 

We’re as undisciplined as it gets. 

I remember the first time I criticized him. It was after a fluff piece talking about how he is focused on everything he does. Getting up before 5am to go practice MMA (he was like 40) before each day begins. Sets the tone with his fearless approach. How everything about him was going to be organized and built in Buffalo. 

Well, he did build something good. But he's reached his ceiling. 

When the same fluff article was put up about Ryan I laid into his BS for his backwards Buffalo truck.

I have never felt his seat would get warm without a collapse of some sort.  

But I mean if we lose this game, I think his seat starts getting warm.  We have been awful for 2 1/2 games now during the easiest part of our schedule.  That’s a mini collapse.

11 minutes ago, Process said:

I have zero faith in Terry to make a move if the season continues to go this way. The Bills can miss the playoffs and I still don't think McBeane is going anywhere. They'll fire Dorsey and use him as a scapegoat.

Same. Terry won’t make a change. 

20 minutes ago, Process said:

I have zero faith in Terry to make a move if the season continues to go this way. The Bills can miss the playoffs and I still don't think McBeane is going anywhere. They'll fire Dorsey and use him as a scapegoat.

McDermott isn't getting fired any time soon 

9 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Same. Terry won’t make a change. 

Nor should he

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.