McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

Just now, nedboy7 said:

The usual absurd takes by the same fans.  After each loss.  Oh yeah 13 seconds.  WTF?

You think it's absurd to mention the fact that Sean McDermott pissed away a chance at a home AFC championship game and the best chance this team has had at a championship after his QB led a heroic shoulda-been GW drive in Kansas City?  Yeah, I'm going to remember that and keep mentioning it forever and ever given the fact that my goal is Super Bowls, not division titles and playoff appearances resulting in losses.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

You think it's absurd to mention the fact that Sean McDermott pissed away a chance at a home AFC championship game and the best chance this team has had at a championship after his QB led a heroic shoulda-been GW drive in Kansas City?  Yeah, I'm going to remember that and keep mentioning it forever and ever given the fact that my goal is Super Bowls, not division titles and playoff appearances resulting in losses.

Yes I do.  Keep living the same ***** over and over.  That is a choice.  Not how most people live. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

We have wishful thinking that Pegula will hire a coach who can actually go to a SB and win it? Is Bill Cowher available? LOL

That's an under-rated part of this conversation, IMO.

Think about Pegula's FIRST HC hire for example

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay, fair, regular season. 

It would be too easy to say that playoffs are slightly more important than regular season ... but so many of the regular season one-score losses should actually be wins, in my humble opinion, and are losses becasue of poor coaching.  Those one-score regular season losses allow the Chiefs to get the #1 seed every single year.  The Bills cannot go to London and put up 7 points in 3 quarters on a day when their defense is decimated and you know it's going to take points to win.  Dorsey wastes plays.  So many 1st and 10s become 2nd and 10s or 2nd and 11s because Ken Dorsey couldn't figure out that running yesterday was not working and the best chance Buffalo had was to throw the ball down the field (kinda like they did too little, too late in the 4th quarter).  Add in the fact that Knox-Kincaid should be a nightmare for defenses but isn't because of Buffalo's inept offensive coaching.  Did you see George Kittle last night?  That should be Knox-Kincaid ... instead we are treated to virtually no production from the tight end position every game.

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Yes I do.  Keep living the same ***** over and over.  That is a choice.  Not how most people live. 

Now you're speaking for "most people"?  That's quite a claim.  I would venture to guess that many Bills fans choose to remember the history and try to learn from it.  But it's cool, like I said, there are legions of deluded pro-McDermott Bills fans.  When McDermott chokes away another playoff game this year, we'll have the same conversation.  I'll be saying he shoulda been fired years ago, you'll be shining his shoes.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills are not as bad as they looked in the Jags game and not as good as they looked in the Dolphins game.

I prefer to look at the Jags game as a perfect storm of bad circumstances coming together--jet lag, the terrible field turf, bad luck injuries both leading up to and during the game, over-officiating, immaturity of the backups. The coaches are not the issue; they weren't geniuses last week or morons this week. I'm mostly worried about the huge number of injuries. A lot of backup players are going to have to mature rapidly.  

I hope, and choose, to see this game as one we'll look back on as a tough loss in the road to the Super Bowl the Bills are going to win in February. 

Edited by Dr. K

10 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

We have wishful thinking that Pegula will hire a coach who can actually go to a SB and win it? Is Bill Cowher available? LOL

If things keep going downhill in NE, then Bill might become available. Look at what he has done when he had a franchise QB and a solid roster to work with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

Think players are just getting drained from his comical style.  Of stat padding regular season magic without rings.  Buffalo did nothing really to prepare for this game.  And in the end was a sobbing mess of a Coach bowing down and kissing Pederson’s ring to lament his lack of energy and drive as a Head Coach.  Said after thirteen seconds we should’ve hired Doug but McDermorr has the frat legacy check marks which is why Terry is so on to keep him.  We also have the drama off the field and Kim isn’t team president anymore so there’s a lacking fire in the front office.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I want no part of hiring a coach in his 70s

I am not saying the Bills would hire him as I think McDermott is safe. 70s or not you can't deny Bill knows how to get it done when he has a franchise QB and a solid roster to work with.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I am not saying the Bills would hire him as I think McDermott is safe. 70s or not you can't deny Bill knows how to get it done when he has a franchise QB and a solid roster to work with.

Belichick would have to completely replace the defense to make his scheme work here, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I want no part of hiring a coach in his 70s

Which is why you’d probably never hire anyone in their sixties and seventies.  It’s the same casualness used against hiring Coaches in that age bracket even though they are proven winners.  Tom Coughlin was the oldest Coach to win a Super Bowl.  Ageism doesn’t really work because if nothing else an old man can still find a way to whoop arse.  Though you’d probably never really say so publicly or when you rescind job offers.  Met a lot of old timers who were section chiefs and civil engineers who could analyze folks like you, and the thing was I’d listen and just as aptly used the same analytical techniques they use in the present day.  Bar stool is where a sports reporters career goes to die.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If things keep going downhill in NE, then Bill might become available. Look at what he has done when he had a franchise QB and a solid roster to work with.

The game has passed him by, honestly it isn't just the quarterback situation there. His personal decisions have been pretty obsurd as of late as well. He is a name at this point but a good Nfl head coach he is not....not anymore at least.

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I could not disagree more.  Think about what he has now, gets paid (I assume) a crap-ton of money to stay current in football information and go to a studio to talk football Sundays with others in the same situation.  No HC pressures like fans or owners, prima donna players and their agents. Plus, they get to go to every superbowl, again with zero pressure.  He would have to be insane to take another HC job with any team.

Just now, Thriftygamer83 said:

Which is why you’d probably never hire anyone in their sixties and seventies.  It’s the same casualness used against hiring Coaches in that age bracket even though they are proven winners.  Tom Coughlin was the oldest Coach to win a Super Bowl.  Ageism doesn’t really work because if nothing else an old man can still find a way to whoop arse.  Though you’d probably never really say so publicly or when you rescind job offers.  Met a lot of old timers who were section chiefs and civil engineers who could analyze folks like you, and the thing was I’d listen and just as aptly used the same analytical techniques they use in the present day.  Bar stool is where a sports reporters career goes to die.  

Behold, TSW, the king of hyper-emotional post-loss word salad.

TREMBLE at his sheer lack of anything resembling testicular fortitude.

• Haha (+1) 1

Should Mike McDaniels be on the hot seat for getting shellacked by the Bills? Should Josh McDaniels get fired for losing to us? Ok Josh is a bad argument but no one is great week in and week out, we had a bad game to a good team. Jax is not the garbage pile they were two years ago. 

Ok..  I will theoretically play this "fire McD" game....

So we fire him.  Who do we hire?   If they are better than McDermott than why aren't they already coaching in the NFL?  Is there some prodigy college coach that is desperate to come to Buffalo?   Or do we get back into the re-tread game and bring in some tired, repeat offender head coach that already washed out at another franchise?  Do we promote Ken Dorsey?  What would be the plan moving forward?  Or is this just a "FirE  EveRyONe CuZ I'M mAd" thread?

... firing McDermott would be one of the worst moves in franchise history and immediately set us back.  He is one of the best 5 coaches in the game.

Just now, gtw3 said:

Ok..  I will theoretically play this "fire McD" game....

So we fire him.  Who do we hire?   If they are better than McDermott than why aren't they already coaching in the NFL?  Is there some prodigy college coach that is desperate to come to Buffalo?   Or do we get back into the re-tread game and bring in some tired, repeat offender head coach that already washed out at another franchise?  Do we promote Ken Dorsey?  What would be the plan moving forward?  Or is this just a "FirE  EveRyONe CuZ I'M mAd" thread?

... firing McDermott would be one of the worst moves in franchise history and immediately set us back.  He is one of the best 5 coaches in the game.

Thanks be to the Almighty that there's someone here with a rational mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.