McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

6 minutes ago, par73 said:

So many bad decisions and mistakes just in one game. Like kicking (poorly) to Mims repeatedly, blitzing on the last play, Cook benching, 12 men... He should be gone, but I only think there is a chance if they lose out (or maybe win just one more).

That game was a microcosm of all these McDermott-isms we have been suffering through for years.

Of course, you have to be able to evaluate his decisions as mistakes and understand what's going on and why.  Lots of folks here can't do that, so they think he's actually good.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

McDermott is out there competing with a duct tape defense and his defense is still keeping us in these games. 17 is playing like crap. The offense is the bigger issue. Not McDermott.

I’m sorry do you think McD is only responsible for the defense of something??? He’s the head coach. He oversees and is directly involved in all 3 phases, including the bumbling offense. It’s the responsibility of HIS coaching staff to have the players executing at a high level. McD is absolutely, without a doubt most responsible for the Bills 5-5 record. Period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I haven’t read through this whole thread but you’d like to believe he’s under scrutiny at the very least.

It feels like he’s been sucked into the defense and the rest of the phases have suffered as a result.

Even though he’s been mostly successful at calling the defense, he probably should hand the role off and focus on fixing the morale and game preparation issues they’re facing.

I don’t see him being fired this season even though I think it’d be for the best at this point. He might get the entire next season too, honestly. 

I’ve been vocal for the last year that I thought he should be replaced. It wasn’t a popular opinion in March. It’s a lot more popular now. The Bills have multiple issues. Coaching MAY be at the top of the list. McDermott did a nice job of building the program. He has not proven to be a guy that can get you to the “promised land.” You cannot continue to “run it back.” Dorsey was the first step. The Bills should move on this off-season and hire an offensive HC. We need to elevate Josh Allen and get him back to the player that he was a couple of years ago.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been vocal for the last year that I thought he should be replaced. It wasn’t a popular opinion in March. It’s a lot more popular now. The Bills have multiple issues. Coaching MAY be at the top of the list. McDermott did a nice job of building the program. He has not proven to be a guy that can get you to the “promised land.” You cannot continue to “run it back.” Dorsey was the first step. The Bills should move on this off-season and hire an offensive HC. We need to elevate Josh Allen and get him back to the player that he was a couple of years ago.

Now he's in the process of destroying the program.  

That's the only Process that's occurring. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, par73 said:

So many bad decisions and mistakes just in one game. Like kicking (poorly) to Mims repeatedly, blitzing on the last play, Cook benching, 12 men... He should be gone, but I only think there is a chance if they lose out (or maybe win just one more).

Rookie mistakes too, from a head coach in his 7th season.  

SMH 

What on earth is Pegula waiting for.  Apparently McD's entitled to destroy and dismantle whatever's here before hell get fired.  

Pegula's not exactly looking brilliant in all of this, given that the extension he just gave McBeane couldn't wait to see whether something like this would happen, no, ... and they haven't even sniffed year one of that extension.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Doug Peterson was fired just two  years after leading his Eagles team to a 1st ever Super Bowl win. McDopey is still here choking in the playoffs almost every year since he got hired. What the ***** is wrong with that scenario?

Doug Pederson went 4-11-1 when fired.

also the franchise QB was no longer the starter. They were starting new.

Bills fans don’t seem to understand that McDermott will have to either have a losing season, miss the playoffs, or not advance in the playoffs before getting fired.

I dont see McDermott having a winning record this year. So it’s possible this offseason is when they move on.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

McDimwit has officially reached the end of his shelf life with the Bills IMO … unfortunately I don’t see our absentee owner, dealing with a ill spouse, and having just signed his “brain trust” to extensions making that move at this point. I expect he’ll be given time to redeem himself, given the disastrous hires he’s made for his teams in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

McDimwit has officially reached the end of his shelf life with the Bills IMO … unfortunately I don’t see our absentee owner, dealing with a ill spouse, and having just signed his “brain trust” to extensions making that move at this point. I expect he’ll be given time to redeem himself, given the disastrous hires he’s made for his teams in the past. 

I tweeted his daughter and asked her to ask him to fire McDermott. Then Dorsey got canned 12 hours later. I know it's not realistically the reason it happened, but sometimes I wish it was that easy 😜 

• Haha (+1) 2

I think the only way McDermott gets fired is if the team's core players speak out to the owner. Josh, Diggs, Ed, Groot (maybe), the guys this team is being built around. They would all have to be on one accord with the feeling that he's lost the team. Only then would that happen. If we go 2-5 the rest of the way, it may happen. 

He has been and is the reason this team regressed.  He and Beane have this Carolina syndrome embedded in them, and they both have run their course,  just like what happened to Carolina.  But Carolina went to 1 SB with McD as their DC, and we did not with him as the HC & DC. 

He is not a top 10 head coach in this league,  like I said back in March of this year.  He does not even deserve the privilege to be mentioned there on that list.

His time in Buffalo needs to end ASAP.  This team will never ascend to the next level with him as HC.

His time needs to end after this season.  It would be better if it happened right now.  Technically our season is not over, but in all reality it is over, so there is nothing left to lose by cutting this guy loose now.  There is no way we win out to make the playoffs, and that is not being harsh or jumping to conclusions.  This team right now needs leadership and direction, that our coach can never provide.

It can't get any worse right now.  But it wont happen because he is being tasked to perform two coaching duties right now.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills had a good head coach they'd be 7-3 or 8-2 this year, despite all the mistakes.

1. Taking the ball in OT versus the Jets. Much better to know what you need (FG or TD) by letting the Jets go first. Instead they punted and give up a TD to lose.

2. Folding like a lawn chair versus New England after they got the lead. Poor clock management, including not accepting a penalty to make it 1st and goal. That would have either let the Bills burn at least 45 more seconds of clock, or made the Pats use their timeouts on defense (instead of saving them for the winning drive).

3. Bengals game - not calling a timeout and then trying a Hail Mary before halftime when they were just out of FG range. Calling defensive timeouts and allowing a 3rd/4th down conversion after each timeout without fail. His defensive TOs never work, buthe calls them anyway. Plus wasting a challenge/TO on a play that wouldn't have been a 1st down and would have wasted time they needed to catch up.

4. Broncos - calling the same blitz on 3rd and long when they were out of FG range and had trouble converting 3rd downs all game. Wasting defensive TOs when no matter what the Broncos could run the clock down. Then 12 guys on defense, where even if they realized it, the couldn't call TO since he had wasted them.

Just backbreaking mistake after mistake.

P.s. Don't get me started on "complimentary football". He needs to go ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

Ha, Jeff Saturday on ESPN Get UP this morning just ripped McDermott to shreds.   Says the Bills are a dumpster fire and to fire an OC after a MNF game is a joke.  He then went to point that since Dorsey the Bills have the 3rd most points behind Dal and Phil...and the QBR is 2nd only behind Mahomes.  SO he hates the move.  

• Like (+1) 1

The hot seat comes directly from the fan base. If the fans lose confidence in the HC his days are numbered. If this team misses the playoffs after the epic fails in previous playoff runs, after 5 years we need new leadership. The fans are the key and along with media with a new stadium coming( which is a windfall for ownership) we must send a clear message that losing and our HOF QB moving backwards won’t be tolerated. Message boards and stadium crowds must show disapproval every opportunity. Sports writers and Sports talk radio must echo the sentiment until changes are made. 

38 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Ha, Jeff Saturday on ESPN Get UP this morning just ripped McDermott to shreds.   Says the Bills are a dumpster fire and to fire an OC after a MNF game is a joke.  He then went to point that since Dorsey the Bills have the 3rd most points behind Dal and Phil...and the QBR is 2nd only behind Mahomes.  SO he hates the move.  

Could well be that they fired the wrong guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Could well be that they fired the wrong guy.

He went on and on, but yes he implied that.  Said look at McDermott,  he basically fired Frazier and then went from top 3 defense to #16 and can't stop anyone when it matters.  Now he fires the OC and he disagrees with it.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am an Orioles fan and this team is a lot like the Orioles were from 2011-2018.   The manager Buck Showalter quickly rebuilt the team out of a playoff drought and crated a winning culture.   This led to a few years of playoffs where they could never get past the championship.  The team had strengths and weaknesses, but the weaknesses were never addressed.  As people from the original team left the team or retired, they were replaced with bad free agents and a farm system that was on the bottom.    Eventually the bottom fell out fast and you out of nowhere had a 100 loss team again.   Showalter was fired and a full rebuild was needed. The Orioles are back now which a core of good young players and a manager of the year, but it took a few years to get back there.

I see a very similar path with Buffalo (but we are not quite at the end of that cycle).   Bad coaching in the playoffs, the same weakness every year, and unproductive replacements added by free agency and the draft.  It might be possible to retool in the off-season and keep this team contending, but we need to move on from McDermott and Beane before the bottom completely falls out. 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott's seat is not hot, it's completely engulfed in flames right now.  He's going to have to lead this team to win some games down the stretch that they are not expected to win.

I look over at Baltimore and John Harbaugh, who has had to fire coordinators and re-invent himself a few times now, and they stay successful for the most part.  What he is doing that McDermott isn't?  

• Haha (+1) 1

I’d like to know what it is about McD that deserves such belief from Pegula? When he was first hired I heard he suddenly had all the power and was the one making the picks for the Bills in the 2017 draft with the help of Whaley’s staff. New coach coming in should’ve picked a new QB as well, right? But no, didn’t trust Whaley’s staff well enough for their QB rankings so he traded the #10 pick to KC and picked Tre White at the back of the first round. This despite Terry reportedly being absolutely enamored with Mahomes. 

Why the contract extension when it was clear the Bills were showing signs of regression since the :13 second debacle? That game alone would’ve raised my eyebrows as the owner of the team. “Can’t coach well enough to stop a team from getting into FG range in only 13 seconds??” That game in many ways was more devastating than home run throwback because it required a multitude of bad decisions for the Chiefs to get into FG range. 

McD is not a bad coach, I think he’s a better version of Marvin Lewis, but he’s absolutely not a championship winning leader as I type this message today. Maybe he figures it out with his next team, but I think he’s ran his course in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.