Christian Benford lockdown CB?

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Benford beat out Elam with technique and tenacity.  Elam is fine, and will do great today.  Benford is the better CB

You really think Elam is ready for today’s walk-through? 😇

Joking aside, I’ve been questioning for a few weeks now whether Benford was our best corner.  When the ball is thrown his way, seems like he’s normally on his guy like glue, minus the Sauce Gardner holding.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Joking aside, I’ve been questioning for a few weeks now whether Benford was our best corner.  When the ball is thrown his way, seems like he’s normally on his guy like glue, minus the Sauce Gardner holding.

You beat me to it

1 minute ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Yes you do but distance is generally more separate depending on where they calculate the distance

The Bills Defense is generally considered a “CB friendly scheme”.  

Not exactly sure why, when compared to other schemes around the league and/or if that changes with McDermott at the helm. 

All that being said, Benford’s metrics are that of an elite CB.  We certainly need more of a sample size, and to see what he looks like as CB1 now.. but the guy seems to be, at the very least, an above average Cornerback. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Eh. 

He’s been targeted 13 times and has allowed 9 catches (69%) for 148 yards (16.4 YPC) and 33 YAC. QB rating against him is 107. 

Plus side, he’s been credited with zero missed tackles. 

I still think his future is at safety. 

Like when he’s old? Why in the world would anyone put a good starting cornerback at the safety position? 

Not to mention, there’s more money at corner, if we tried cramming him back there when he’s proven to do the job at CB he’ll definitely take a walk when it’s time to pay him. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interesting chart. Christian Benford leads the Bills in preventing separation.

Weird chart. I see only 8 cornerbacks league wide rate higher but what is the unit of measure? He's at .07 what?

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Ok and how about Dane Jackson…

Jackson seems like an excellent tackler too.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We never give Taron Johnson enough love. He’s easily our CB1. Been CB1 for a couple years.

Hmmm... agree that Taron is excellent and one of the best at his position but that discussion begins with the recognition that Taron is a slot corner. It's kind of a different position.

56 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Eh. 

He’s been targeted 13 times and has allowed 9 catches (69%) for 148 yards (16.4 YPC) and 33 YAC. QB rating against him is 107. 

Care to cite your source?

The link states based on "40 minimum coverage snaps."

I assume this implies that there are numerous snaps where the QB chose not to throw towards Benford.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude is playing really well and is a gem of a get it. But he’s in for a big jump without White. 

losing your number 1 cb is such a huge loss because everyone has to move up. 

For what it's worth he played 9 games with 5 starts last season before being placed on IR.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The Bills made a steal of him in the draft.  Kudo’s to the scouting staff for finding him.

Let’s hope Elam finds a way to play up to his potential.  If he does the Bills have no worries at CB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Eh. 

How was his coverage on the other 150+ snaps?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Is this a legitimate stat for a zone defense?

Even in “zone coverage “ it is always man as the play develops. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interesting chart. Christian Benford leads the Bills in preventing separation.

That's a weird chart. I'd think someone like Leodis McKelvin would have been toppest rightest. Nobody gets separation, but they throw at him anyway because he can't find the ball.

J.C.Jackson bottomest leftest. Everyone's open but nobody throws at him? Wut? Levi Wallace also in that neighborhood.

Edited by Ralonzo

6 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

That's a weird chart. I'd think someone like Leodis McKelvin would have been toppest rightest. Nobody gets separation, but they throw at him anyway because he can't find the ball.

J.C.Jackson bottomest leftest. Everyone's open but nobody throws at him? Wut? Levi Wallace also in that neighborhood.

I don't know, but the higher number on the Y-axis (target %) is at the bottom, which would suggest the lower on that axis you are, the more you're targeted.

So JC Jackson is targeted a lot and allows more separation...?

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I don't know, but the higher number on the Y-axis (target %) is at the bottom, which would suggest the lower on that axis you are, the more you're targeted.

So JC Jackson is targeted a lot and allows more separation...?

That makes more sense. Most charts are constructed so that top-right is best (positive-positive) and bottom-left is worst.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We never give Taron Johnson enough love. He’s easily our CB1. Been CB1 for a couple years.

That is true.  Don’t be surprised if you don’t see more of Rapp each week whether it’s for heavy sets against running or TE teams, or exchanging for our regulars in Poyer and Hyde.  We need those 2 for all 22 weeks as this team is going to go deep this year.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Benford beat out Elam with technique and tenacity.  Elam is fine, and will do great today.  Benford is the better CB

I think Elam ceiling is better but Benford's floor is much higher than Elam's current level.

Elam needs to get beyond his physical talent.

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Last week in the Wednesday prior to the game coach press conference McDaniel's singled out Taron Johnson as being one of the best nickel CB in the league.

So have a few broadcasters.

He gets respect in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude is playing really well and is a gem of a get it. But he’s in for a big jump without White. 

losing your number 1 cb is such a huge loss because everyone has to move up. 

Is it really though?  Guess we will find out.

Not like we move Tre around on the teams #1 all game.  We mix up so much zone/safety help.  

I don't think we will see a ton of drop off with Dane, or Elam.  As long as our DL and LB play continues

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Is this a legitimate stat for a zone defense?

Yes. Most zone defenses - including the Bills - incorporate pattern matching. Zone schemes that are strictly players covering grass are not very effective against today’s NFL. 

6 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Did the playbook he asked for when drafted arrive yet?  If so he should be ready then. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

How was his coverage on the other 150+ snaps?

That doesn’t prove or disprove anything.  

The information and data suggests the “lock down” talk is pre-mature. Not saying he sucks, he still has a lot to prove. 69% completion and a 10+ YPC is bad any way it’s spun. 

Truth is, the most picked on player on defense is Tre White (17 targets, 9 completions). Bernard, Johnson, and Benford are all tied for second, each player has given up 9 catches. Thankfully our DL and LB play has been elite. 

45 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That doesn’t prove or disprove anything.  

The information and data suggests the “lock down” talk is pre-mature. Not saying he sucks, he still has a lot to prove. 69% completion and a 10+ YPC is bad any way it’s spun. 

Truth is, the most picked on player on defense is Tre White (17 targets, 9 completions). Bernard, Johnson, and Benford are all tied for second, each player has given up 9 catches. Thankfully our DL and LB play has been elite. 

It does if he locked down his man 99% of the other snaps.  I don’t believe that the only stats that matter are the stats that you linked.  There’s more to it.  

Listen, I’m not saying he’s a lockdown….I’m just disagreeing with your method for determining a lockdown over a 4 game span.  A corner can prove his worth on plays where they aren’t targeted.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It does if he locked down his man 99% of the other snaps.  I don’t believe that the only stats that matter are the stats that you linked.  There’s more to it.  

Listen, I’m not saying he’s a lockdown….I’m just disagreeing with your method for determining a lockdown over a 4 game span.  A corner can prove his worth on plays where they aren’t targeted.  

You and I are on the same page with Benford, I have no doubts about that.

If we went down the rabbit hole of CBs being good at preventing separation but yet struggling at preventing the reception, we’d hijack this thread lol 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't say "shutdown corner" just yet, but Benford has looked good. Benford isn't the best athlete but he is good enough and plays very smart. Benford and Dane have really shown that the corner position in this defense is about playing smart and playing within your assignment. I hope Elam really gets going, I am OK with growing pains in October and November for Elam as he has to learn the system by playing in it. Hopefully by mid-December Elam rounds into form and the Bills have both the technical sound boundary players (Benford and Jackson) and an athletic corner (Elam) out there crushing it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.