Will we have to replace Dorsey next year?

ChronicAndKnuckles

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s amazing how much the board sways

We go from wanting to fire him to wondering if we’re gonna be able to keep them

The “fire someone now” crew is that small but vocal lynch mob that needs someone to complain about. I think they’re still drinking genesee. There is even a thread complaining that Kincaid hasn’t caught as many passes as Laporta so far. 
image.thumb.jpeg.dfdf86a29e91c43e326855658109b6e0.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

The last 15 months have been “fire Dorsey”

Now “holy shirt, we might lose Dorsey”.

What a wild ride this team is. Glad I’m here for it!

I need you to understand that these are not the same people.

This is not about whether we will have to replace him or not, but it did seem that he was in better control of his emotions yesterday. I prefer the less excitable OC leading the offense. Josh doesn’t need over the top emotions setting the tone. 

I get we're all excited, but have we learned nothing after the past several seasons? 

It's week 4! 

We have to quit acting like the season stops here, or that you can just look at current success & pencil that in going forward. 

As yesterday showed us, even great wins will have major setbacks. After 14 more weeks, who knows how many more injuries players will be fighting through.

Point being, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Whether it's Josh Allen MVP talk or Dorsey leaving to take a HC position, let's be optimistic but not take anything for granted. 

44 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Chargers could promote their water boy and he would probably have more success. Dorsey should be on their Xmas list this year. They need someone who can properly harness Herbert’s physical talent.  

All they have to do is tell the water boy: Don't go for it on 4th down deep in your own territory.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, cage said:

Imagine him being hired by some 3-14 team to turn them around.  Think of the epic sideline tantrums that could follow.  He'd create a new standard for meme-worthy that would be practically Brady-esqe.

I think he learned his lesson from the Surface Pro incident.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I know it all depends on the success of the season, but if Dorsey keeps putting up 30-40 points on a regular basis, continues to supplement Allen w/ a consistent & explosive run game, and gets Buffalo to a SB then he’s as good as gone next year. I feel like he completely outclassed McDaniels today and that’s a nice notch on his resume. He’s done what Daboll couldn’t do and that’s make Buffalo a multi-dimensional offense.

It was McDermott who outclassed McDaniel yesterday, not Dorsey.  McDermott is the one who figured out how to slow and then stop the Dolphins' juggernaut.  He did it by attacking the weakness on Miami's offense.  They have a great set of players at the skill positions but Bills fans know all too well that without a solid O line the skill positions are wasted.  McD attacked the Miami O line, which wasn't great to begin with and which had lost two starters including its best player.  

The difference was that our O line is FINALLY playing well, and the Miami D line is as bad as the Miami O line -- actually the Miami D overall is bad.  I can't recall the announcers calling the name of ANY of the Miami defenders except Kohou whom Stefon Diggs embarrassed repeatedly.  When the Dolphins killed the Broncos, the Broncos offense actually had quite good stats.  It was the Broncos D that was the problem.  So the Dolphins put up 70 against the Broncos horrible D and the Bills put up 48 on the Dolphins weak D.  

Don't get me wrong about Dorsey.  I'm not criticizing him at all, it's just that I'm not sending his sainthood nomination to the Vatican quite yet.  Let's see what he does against the 49ers.

Honestly, who knows.  There are a lot more bad teams this year than I thought.  Honestly, I see 7 good teams this year, then a whole lot of awful.  There's no one left to pillage from the Chiefs.  The Dolphins is all McDaniels.  You could argue SanFran could get poached again, but meh.

I see there being at least 7 openings and no ide who fills them.  So anything is possible

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, who knows.  There are a lot more bad teams this year than I thought.  Honestly, I see 7 good teams this year, then a whole lot of awful.  There's no one left to pillage from the Chiefs.  The Dolphins is all McDaniels.  You could argue SanFran could get poached again, but meh.

I see there being at least 7 openings and no ide who fills them.  So anything is possible

Yeah, could be at least 7 openings, but there's no shortage of retreads, college coaches, and flash in the pan coordinators available to move up for the big bucks.

Just now, Utah John said:

Yeah, could be at least 7 openings, but there's no shortage of retreads, college coaches, and flash in the pan coordinators available to move up for the big bucks.

This could be the year that Harbaugh gets thrown crazy money at him to leave college again

13 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I know it all depends on the success of the season, but if Dorsey keeps putting up 30-40 points on a regular basis, continues to supplement Allen w/ a consistent & explosive run game, and gets Buffalo to a SB then he’s as good as gone next year. I feel like he completely outclassed McDaniels today and that’s a nice notch on his resume. He’s done what Daboll couldn’t do and that’s make Buffalo a multi-dimensional offense.

Good last year.

Very good so far this year.

Probably not.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

It was McDermott who outclassed McDaniel yesterday, not Dorsey.  McDermott is the one who figured out how to slow and then stop the Dolphins' juggernaut.  He did it by attacking the weakness on Miami's offense.  They have a great set of players at the skill positions but Bills fans know all too well that without a solid O line the skill positions are wasted.  McD attacked the Miami O line, which wasn't great to begin with and which had lost two starters including its best player.  

The difference was that our O line is FINALLY playing well, and the Miami D line is as bad as the Miami O line -- actually the Miami D overall is bad.  I can't recall the announcers calling the name of ANY of the Miami defenders except Kohou whom Stefon Diggs embarrassed repeatedly.  When the Dolphins killed the Broncos, the Broncos offense actually had quite good stats.  It was the Broncos D that was the problem.  So the Dolphins put up 70 against the Broncos horrible D and the Bills put up 48 on the Dolphins weak D.  

Don't get me wrong about Dorsey.  I'm not criticizing him at all, it's just that I'm not sending his sainthood nomination to the Vatican quite yet.  Let's see what he does against the 49ers.

It was McDermott. But also Dorsey. No one else has scored more than 34 on them this year. And Beane. And Josh Allen.

It was actually everyone.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I doubt Dorsey wants to be a HC….. I think he loves being OC, up in the booth working with Josh. There’s a lot of job security there.

That's nonsense. They all want to be head coaches. Of course they do.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

That's nonsense. They all want to be head coaches. Of course they do.

The OP said next year.  And I seriously doubt Dorsey would go HC next year…. He’s been a QB coach like 8 of 9 years in the NFL with 1 full season as OC.

I don’t see him being a HC for a few more years honestly. But that’s my opinion. My opinion too is he also may want to stay, learn more under McDermott and he’s got kid security knowing that

• Disagree 1

Can we wait to see more than one very good game first?

My $0.02 is McDermott needs to send him to Charm School first, like he seems to have sent Daboll in 2019.

I know his players loved it, but the tablet-slammin', headset-throwin' look in the coach's box is not what Owners and GMs want to see on the sideline after a tough loss.  Losing a game is embarrassing, having an "unsportsmanlike conduct" called on your coach in an out of reach game makes the people with hiring authority look foolish.

13 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

yep, that's one reason he was brought in.  rinse and repeat.   he's done the job in the past

He does have competition on the coach's roster.

Edited by Beck Water

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The only reason to hire Dorsey as a Head Coach is you have a Josh Allen equivalent on your team. 

No one does. 

He will be here at least two more years 

This is a good point.  Daboll got the Giants to the playoffs last year but there is a bit of regression this year thus far.  Folks could attribute Dabs success to Josh (rather than vice versa).  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 12:56 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Multi-dimensional offense???

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

Multi-dimensional offense???

Yes, incomplete passes, yardage losing runs on the goal line, and bad punts all count as unique dimensions in this extremely 12 dimensional chess that our very smart super duper OC and Coach are playing

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1