Tre White Injury Updates (Torn Achilles now confirmed)

Process

Torn Achilles is awful hopefully it isn’t a career ender and is a less “serious” tear but they confirmed what we all strongly suspected. Tre is a warrior and he will attempt a comeback but I don’t think he will be with the Bills unless they can work out a pay cut deal.

39 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wouldn't he start of PUP?  

Unless the rules have changed, not until the start of training camp. For the record I don't think the settlement thing will happen, just throwing it out there. There's so many variables to consider (i.e. the player's stature, etc) and so much uncertainty still. The only thing certain right now is that this sucks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Torn Achilles is awful hopefully it isn’t a career ender and is a less “serious” tear but they confirmed what we all strongly suspected. Tre is a warrior and he will attempt a comeback but I don’t think he will be with the Bills unless they can work out a pay cut deal.

There’s been revolutionary surgery recently for Achilles. I’m guessing he gets the same procedure Aaron Rodgers received. We should see White in camp next year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s been revolutionary surgery recently for Achilles. I’m guessing he gets the same procedure Aaron Rodgers received. We should see White in camp next year.

I agree.  I was looking for a fact-based article on this and wanted to share with everyone: https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/01/tredavious-whites-achilles-injury/.  Prognosis isn't exactly great but it sounds like there has been good progress on the medical and recovery front.  Praying for Tre! 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, QCity said:

Unless the rules have changed, not until the start of training camp. For the record I don't think the settlement thing will happen, just throwing it out there. There's so many variables to consider (i.e. the player's stature, etc) and so much uncertainty still. The only thing certain right now is that this sucks.

PUP or IR, I guess it really doesn't matter to the term, it ends up the same.  FTR, I don't see a settlement either.  

I felt bad for him when he dropped a potential pick 6, and then this happens a few minutes later.

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Seems like a lot CB that gut paid go down with big injuries. White, Diggs, Ramsey, got to be a ton more but my brain is not working. 

I don’t want to come across as insensitive, but I’m starting to view CB’s like I do RB’s.   Just draft ones that fit your scheme every year and keep your depth well stocked.

Chiefs have been dominating the league and aren’t exactly paying corners.  The Bucs defense that dominated Mahomes in the Super Bowl did it with their DL and LB’s, not so much a high priced secondary.  

With McDermott and his ability to coach up corners, just give me a bunch of Dane Jackson/Christian Benford’s and pair them up with a ferocious, heavily invested in, Defensive Line. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mango said:

I am and was absolutely gutted for the guy. It was hard to watch on national TV. 

So sad, we watched a guy come to terms with the idea that he might have his entire career ripped away from him in front of millions of people. 

Tre is my favorite player since Bruce. I feel for the guy.

Same man.  It was heartbreaking watching that.  I hope he can recover and come back next year.  The guy was practically himself again and then this.

• Like (+1) 1

Prayers up to Tre 🙏 This SUCKS so bad for him he was playing like his old self & then this had to happen . I haven't had a chance to see the play that it happened on & i heard while watching the game it was a none contact play but was just wondering was he passing off to go after another player ? 

Has anyone seen what happened at the particular time of the jury is what i'm asking i guess ???

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t want to come across as insensitive, but I’m starting to view CB’s like I do RB’s.   Just draft ones that fit your scheme every year and keep your depth well stocked.

Chiefs have been dominating the league and aren’t exactly paying corners.  The Bucs defense that dominated Mahomes in the Super Bowl did it with their DL and LB’s, not so much a high priced secondary.  

With McDermott and his ability to coach up corners, just give me a bunch of Dane Jackson/Christian Benford’s and pair them up with a ferocious, heavily invested in, Defensive Line. 

Well, there have been a lot of great teams in the past who have prioritized cornerback. There isn't just one way to do it.

McDermott is great at getting the secondary to maximize their potential, though, so in the past he has skimped there and invested in other areas, until he paid Tre. I think he felt that Tre earned it and he wanted to send the message that when you earn it the Bills will do right by you, within reason. But I don't think that having an elite corner is critical to McDermott’s scheme.

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Prayers up to Tre 🙏 This SUCKS so bad for him he was playing like his old self & then this had to happen . I haven't had a chance to see the play that it happened on & i heard while watching the game it was a none contact play but was just wondering was he passing off to go after another player ? 

Has anyone seen what happened at the particular time of the jury is what i'm asking i guess ???

He wasn't even running full speed, appeared he just planted in his backpedal then it happened.

Live, it looked like he lost a shoe or foot got stuck in the ground.

Just unfortunate, didn't appear to be an "explosive" movement...which is what causes most achilles tears.  

Could be nothing, but Tre went Week 1 and 2 not needing a vet rest day.  Past 2 weeks, he's been given Friday off.  Maybe he was dealing with tightness/calf, thats just pure speculation. I've heard alot of ppl say they tore their achilles while fighting off a calf pull/tightness and not having full flexibility in that area.

Just now, MJS said:

Well, there have been a lot of great teams in the past who have prioritized cornerback. There isn't just one way to do it.

McDermott is great at getting the secondary to maximize their potential, though, so in the past he has skimped there and invested in other areas, until he paid Tre. I think he felt that Tre earned it and he wanted to send the message that when you earn it the Bills will do right by you, within reason. But I don't think that having an elite corner is critical to McDermott’s scheme.

It just feels, to me, like the era of elite cornerback game-changing play has faded.  

Who even are the game-changing corners anymore?

Diggs?  Gets burned but makes plays.  Done for the year. 

Ravens have had good corners.  Always hurt. 

Chiefs don’t care.  They let them walk. 

Bengals best corner last year, Owuzie.  Done for the year.  Working his way back this year. 

Ramsey, currently injured.  Who knows what he’ll be when he comes back.  

Surtain is nice.  Not nice enough to make a difference on that defense.. clearly. 

Sauce Gardner seems like the one guy from a now-gone era, that can (somewhat) affect a game… and we know he straddles the line when it comes to physical play. 

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

He wasn't even running full speed, appeared he just planted in his backpedal then it happened.

Live, it looked like he lost a shoe or foot got stuck in the ground.

Just unfortunate, didn't appear to be an "explosive" movement...which is what causes most achilles tears.  

Could be nothing, but Tre went Week 1 and 2 not needing a vet rest day.  Past 2 weeks, he's been given Friday off.  Maybe he was dealing with tightness/calf, thats just pure speculation. I've heard alot of ppl say they tore their achilles while fighting off a calf pull/tightness and not having full flexibility in that area.

Well maybe between Tre & Roger's injury the NFL will change the rule as far as turf vs. grass fields not sure if that would make a difference for Tre but now we will never know . But it surely SUCKS he was playing so good i hope he can keep his spirits up !!  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

It just feels, to me, like the era of elite cornerback game-changing play has faded.  

Bengals best corner last year, Owuzie.  Done for the year.  Working his way back this year. 

Surtain is nice.  Not nice enough to make a difference on that defense.. clearly. 

Sauce Gardner seems like the one guy from a now-gone era, that can (somewhat) affect a game… and we know he straddles the line when it comes to physical play. 

It has been a tough injury year for corners, but I don't think that negates their worth.

There are defensive schemes out there that blitz and rely on man coverage. Corner is more of a premium in those defenses. For ours, I think it is less of a premium because of how much zone we play.

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ramsey won a Superbowl two years ago.  Gilmore won a Super Bowl as DPOY and made the game sealing play in the AFCCG.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Ramsey won a Superbowl two years ago.  Gilmore won a Super Bowl as DPOY and made the game sealing play in the AFCCG.

Ramsey was not the main reason for that.  

Von was a menace.  It was the pass rush with Miller, Donald and Floyd. 

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Name me some defensive backs that have.

I don't know which or how many DBs have had a torn Achilles so I couldn't tell you. I just know many players that have torn it have come back from it and been fine. People said the same thing about his ACL tear. I think people that say things like this don't want him to come back. One guy was quick to point out right after the injury happened that he was done as a Bill. Why don't we see what actually happens first? I guarantee he busts his a** to make it back

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.