Dare I say Chris Brown is a better PBP man than John Murphy?

Pine Barrens Mafia

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

They should replace Woods with Maddy Glab

Brown: "Allen drops back, looking for Diggs"

Glab: "f***ing a**hole"

Brown: "throws it to Diggs..."

Glab: "f***ing a**hole"

Makes me think this Mattie Glab person is okay, she has chutzpah,  it would be a land mark duo those two,  😁👍

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

They’re both pretty bad

Agree, had to listen to parts of last couple games on the radio, for most of the time, I had no idea what yard line the ball was at, and some of the time, not even the down. Yesterday, he actually said the yard line..”..on the Bills 38..”..but thankfully Wood in 

his color commentary surreptitiously mentioned the ball was on the Commanders 41.

I don’t care if he is excitable or not…but at least get the basics down.

At least am not getting Murph’s..”..BIG hole on the right side!!!…stopped after a gain of about a yard…”

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Everyone needs to listen to other play by play guys just for perspective. If "sounding psychotic" is a turn-off, you're in for shock.

Yeah yeah yeah we know.

Touchdown! Kansas City.

Touchdown………Raiders….

But someone like Jim Donovan also yells, but it’s a much smoother delivery, without the “he’s hotter than a firecracker!”

Merrill Reese comes to mind with the iconic voices. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I’ve only heard his TD calls on GR and am not sure I could deal with him for a whole game. Van Miller, Jeanneret and even Ted Darling spoiled me. 

As sainted as Rick Jenneret was, EVERY and I mean EVERY damn time a Sabre crossed the blue line his voice went up 4 octaves and 20 decibels!  EVERY.  DAMN.  TIME.  That was huge annoying to me.......especially during game 78 in one of the many many rebuilding seasons......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

As sainted as Rick Jenneret was, EVERY and I mean EVERY damn time a Sabre crossed the blue line his voice went up 4 octaves and 20 decibels!  EVERY.  DAMN.  TIME.  That was huge annoying to me.......especially during game 78 in one of the many many rebuilding seasons......

That’s because it was such a huge accomplishment for the Sabres back then. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He sounds like a HS kid broadcasting on CCTV.

Mindless hype machine.  Like a hopped up Gus Johnson, without the intelligence.

That’s a good analogy.  It reminds of some college hockey broadcasts I listen to.  The student announcers try to sound like Rick Jeanette at a “10” the entire broadcast.  

• Like (+1) 1

I listen to One Bills Drive with Brown and Tasker. If there's a voice out there that makes me cringe it's not Brown's; It's the Stans from "Chic-towaga" or the Joes from Elma or all the Daves from the Southtowns that call in.

Love Bills fans, cringe at the accents. 

Edited by bklnpete

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I really couldn't care less who does the radio call.   Just wondering why Murph gets little to no love from the fans?   

He was a good Sports Director at WKBW but that didn't translate as a natural pbp man. He kept repeating the same phrases -- "the snaaap" --  and when the play called for excitement, his voice strains and he just doesn't have the pipes.

i like all announcers that are bills fans.   loved kelso and murph, Van (duh), and Brownie has great enthusiasm and knows the team better than anyone so he's good for me too.  Eric Wood is awesome in broadcast and mondays on WGR.

now i need to figure out how to synch the radio with the tv so i can listen to these guys instead of the TV weenies

16 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

at least he  MAKES the call. Murph half the time doesn't know who's who and dodders his way through

He has ZERO clue who anyone on the other 31 franchises is unless they are a former Bill. I remember him calling a Brady touchdown vs us in that game at Tampa as being complete to Edwards for a touchdown. I think he meant Mike Evans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has ZERO clue who anyone on the other 31 franchises is unless they are a former Bill. I remember him calling a Brady touchdown vs us in that game at Tampa as being complete to Edwards for a touchdown. I think he meant Mike Evans.

You're talking Murph, yes?

24 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I wish Murphy well health wise. But hope he never returns to the team. He wasn't very good as an announcer and he's an even worse human being. 

Brown like others have said gets too excited. But I'll take him over Murphy. 

Can you elaborate "as a human being?"

Dredging this back to the top, it wasn't too many years ago that the radio 'Pregame Roundtable' was a good mix of print and broadcast journalists discussing the upcoming game.  I recall Carucci, Felser, and a few other local notables having a place at that hour.  Today I tune in for the first time in years, and it now consists of just Greg Brown and Sal Capaccio?!  Audacy that broke they couldn't field a couple extra scribes?  Or did Sullivan's rant over the hospitality table cause a mass exodus? 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

Just heard some of the radio broadcast highlights.  Not hearing the entire broadcast I can’t really judge, but for the big plays that he announces, the cliches and metaphors sound very scripted and contrived, like he’s reading off a Rolodex of 3 x 5 index cards with clever sayings.
 Not spontaneous. 

Edited by SoMAn

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Dredging this back to the top, it wasn't too many years ago that the radio 'Pregame Roundtable' was a good mix of print and broadcast journalists discussing the upcoming game.  I recall Carucci, Felser, and a few other local notables having a place at that hour.  

Great observation. I forgot about that.

Every positive Bills play is a <human climax> (the "O" word is filtered) to Brown.  If he dialed it back, and saved the emotion for the big plays, he could be very good.  But he's done enough games now that he's clearly not getting any feedback to improve his delivery.  He's a homer on steroids.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to the One Bills Live show, and talking to AJ, Chis used the word "repertoire" several times and pronounced it like this every time:

Reh-pe-twah

I wanted to smack Chris' bald head with all my might. He thinks he's being sophisticated but he's being a smack-worthy fool.

Sorry, had to vent.

Go to 4:56 for the first of many such offenses.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/a-j-epenesa-defensive-line-dominant-in-leading-the-nfl-in-sacks

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, RobbRiddick said:

"Josh drops back, throw the ball.... AND IT'S A 3 YARD COMPLETION TO DIGGS! DIGGS IS DIGGING A HOLE AND FILLING IT UP WITH WIDE RECEIVING ABILITY! ALLEN WITH THE 3 YARD COMPLETION, CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS. NOW HE'S CALLED A TIMEOUT! A TIMEOUT BY THE BILLS. THE CLOCK WAS RUNNING AND THEN ALLEN CAME IN WITH THE TIMEOUT AND STOPPED IT LIKE SUPERMAN STANDING IN FRONT OF A FREIGHT TRAIN!"

That sounds like my mom talking about her cat. It’s breathing! Look at her breath. Miraculous breaths of oxygen. Purring. What an amazing creature she is. Look at her sitting there. Existing in this world. The way she exists. So cute. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.