The Mitch Trubisky comparisons are starting with Justin Fields

78thealltimegreat

The Bears did not develop Fields very well in his previous two seasons.  They hampered his development with conservative play calling shackles during the last two seasons.  This might be justified since he only had 1-1/2 years of college start under his belt, which may beg the question why did they draft him in the first place. 

They definitely should have been in trial by fire mode last season and jut let him fly.  

As a result he is gun shy and scared at this point.  

He may not have been a franchise QB at this stage but it seems like it isn't all his fault.  

15 hours ago, T master said:

With those stats they may want to bring Mitch back ... I bet Edmunds is ecstatic !! 

Don't really think Tremaine cares  he's just playing to earn whatever he can and then retire.  I can't really blame the guy with the $$ thrown at these guys.  Just Tremaine isn't in it for love of game.  His play just doesn't reflect it.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Urban Meyer picked J.K. Dobbins over Joe Burrow. Does Burrow suck now too?  And Jalen Hurts finished second in the Heisman voting to Burrow. College coaches overrecruit and guys have to transfer to play all the time. It means nothing.

Your post has me wondering about the potential high jinks on an NFL team with Urban Meyer as head coach, and Zach Wilson as his QB. 🤔

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This is an awful look for Fields. Unless this quote is taken out of context somehow, just a stunning lack of self-awareness and accountability.

Coaching made him blind to wide open receivers while the Bucs played the softest high school coverage I’ve ever seen?

Just like Jalen Hurts!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Fields is pretty decent. He can definitely be a Jalen Hurts type in the right offense. Chicago wouldn't know what to do with a QB if they had one (which they never did in the entire history, wild)

Wait... what? You cannot be serious! You have to be under the age of 35 because if you weren't, you would have heard of the 1985 Bears. Yes their d was what got them the Superbowl, but Ditka was not stupid. Probably a top 25 all time coach and he knew exactly what do do with Jim McMahon (their QB seeing as you are probably to young to know that).

16 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

What a disaster the 2021 QB class has been after Trevor Lawrence went off the board at #1.  The 1st round has 3 potential busts including Trey Lance who was jettisoned for a 4th & for SF he's officially a bust already.  Mac Jones is JAG. The 3rd rounders & beyond are backups or practice squad players.  

No. 1: Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars
No. 2: Zach Wilson, New York Jets
No. 3: Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers
No. 11: Justin Fields, Chicago Bears
No. 15: Mac Jones, New England Patriots
No. 64: Kyle Trask, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
No. 66: Kellen Mond, Minnesota Vikings
No. 67: Davis Mills, Houston Texans

No 133 Ian Book New Orleans

No 218 Sam Ehlinger Indianapolis

Excuse me….Mac Jones is the next Tom Brady.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Wait... what? You cannot be serious! You have to be under the age of 35 because if you weren't, you would have heard of the 1985 Bears. Yes their d was what got them the Superbowl, but Ditka was not stupid. Probably a top 25 all time coach and he knew exactly what do do with Jim McMahon (their QB seeing as you are probably to young to know that).

I am old enough, and Jim McMahon was, even for the 80’s, an average to below average QB.. they won and told him just to not to mess it up.. mind you his ego was huge!! 

12 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am old enough, and Jim McMahon was, even for the 80’s, an average to below average QB.. they won and told him just to not to mess it up.. mind you his ego was huge!! 

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But that is not what the commenter that I was replying to was talking about. He said that the Bears have never known what to do with a QB in their entire history. Ditka knew exactly what to do with Jim McMahon with all of his limitations and "failings" as a QB. He turned him into a game managers, never asking him to do to much. And when he went off scripts, he chewed his a$$ to keep him in line. And it worked.

Edited by BigPappy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But that is not what the commenter that I was replying to was talking about. He said that the Bears have never known what to do with a QB in their entire history. Ditka knew exactly what to do with Jim McMahon with all of his limitations and "failings" as a QB. He turned him into a game managers, never asking him to do to much. And when he went off scripts, he chewed his a$$ to keep him in line. And it worked.

And he had sweet headbands.

• Like (+1) 1

Year 3 is the big one for quarterbacks.

You can usually make a pretty strong assessment by that point.

Justin Fields showed some promise last year, but almost entirely on the ground.

This is the time he needs to show his development as a passer.  It's not been a good start.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

On NFL Live, it was stated that the Bears wide receivers have gotten the most separation while Fields has been one of the better protected QB’s as far as time to throw in the NFL….and he still sucks.

Agree. The problem is they are asking him to drop back, read the full field and throw. I don't know how anyone who watched him at Ohio State ever thought that was the way to have success with him early in his NFL career. 

I still say the 49ers should have drafted Fields not Lance. He'd have been better there and he'd have been better for them than Lance was. He plays robotic because he is robotic.... put him in a robotic style where it is process 1 decision and throw. 

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Peterman has made 6.6 million dollars playing football.

And to think I gave up the dream of being a pro Quarterback without ever trying. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

When your QB starts writing tweets like this one, time to have him miss the team bus.

Sounds like he has completed his coursework at Jay Cutler QB School. He really doesn't care anymore. I think what we see with Fields is that the coaching staff isn't letting him be him. He's not a great passer. He's an exceptional threat as a running QB that can complete a big pass play here and there. 

I don't see him having a long career playing the style they want him to. IMO, If I'm the Bears I bring in Greg Roman and let him do his thing.

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

When your QB starts writing tweets like this one, time to have him miss the team bus.

I'm going to say an old man thing even though I'm not an old man.....but you would never hear Brady, Manning, Kelly, Big Ben, Marino or any previous generation say that.  Those guys had fire, Fields is dainty.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

He's already looking for the next bus depot with a transfer station.

It's so hard to judge a Bears' QB. Do they just suck at evaluating talent, and therefore he simply sucks, or do they suck at developing QBs, in which case a change of scenery might do him some good?

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Sounds like he has completed his coursework at Jay Cutler QB School. He really doesn't care anymore. I think what we see with Fields is that the coaching staff isn't letting him be him. He's not a great passer. He's an exceptional threat as a running QB that can complete a big pass play here and there. 

I don't see him having a long career playing the style they want him to. IMO, If I'm the Bears I bring in Greg Roman and let him do his thing.

Would he be bringing Lamar Jackson with him?

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm going to say an old man thing even though I'm not an old man.....but you would never hear Brady, Manning, Kelly, Big Ben, Marino or any previous generation say that.  Those guys had fire, Fields is dainty.  

It's not a generational thing, necessarily. You also wouldn't hear it from Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, etc. In all cases, those guys have not only fire, but talent, as well as quality players and coaches to support them. Fields' talent is questionable; the quality of the team around him is dubious at best.

Fields' existential tweet suggests that he's not confident in himself or his team, so he's just happy having had the opportunity to play at the NFL level. It's easy to say that knowing that you're financially set for life, even if you never get another contract. And he most certainly will get another contract - if nothing else, as a backup somewhere. I could see him moving three hours north and backing up Jordan Love.

• Like (+1) 1

The same dummies that are saying Fields isn't good are the same ones that say Tua magically improved (except for the fact that he has the best weapons and the best young play caller in the NFL). If you don't think Fields can do what Tua does then there's no hope for you. Put Tua on Chicago and watch the hilarity ensue

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He's already looking for the next bus depot with a transfer station.

It's so hard to judge a Bears' QB. Do they just suck at evaluating talent, and therefore he simply sucks, or do they suck at developing QBs, in which case a change of scenery might do him some good?

Them and the Jets.  How many high picks and trade ups have these two sorry franchises burned on QB busts?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The same dummies that are saying Fields isn't good are the same ones that say Tua magically improved (except for the fact that he has the best weapons and the best young play caller in the NFL). If you don't think Fields can do what Tua does then there's no hope for you. Put Tua on Chicago and watch the hilarity ensue

I honestly didn't like Fields coming out as a prospect much... Great college quarterback.. didn't see a great transition.. though I could see why coaches would want to mold him

And I always thought tua had talent

One can't read a defense and the other processes super quick with great accuracy

Fields is big strong fast with a cannon.. missing a lot of other stuff

Tua doesn't have the physical side of fields.. the size speed or Cannon

But he does everything a pro quarterback needs to do really well

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.