The Mitch Trubisky comparisons are starting with Justin Fields

78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The same dummies that are saying Fields isn't good are the same ones that say Tua magically improved (except for the fact that he has the best weapons and the best young play caller in the NFL). If you don't think Fields can do what Tua does then there's no hope for you. Put Tua on Chicago and watch the hilarity ensue

Those two QBs aren't even remotely alike. 

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The same dummies that are saying Fields isn't good are the same ones that say Tua magically improved (except for the fact that he has the best weapons and the best young play caller in the NFL). If you don't think Fields can do what Tua does then there's no hope for you. Put Tua on Chicago and watch the hilarity ensue

Fields is good if you remove all the quarters he played bad.  

• Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Damn good QB.  By the way, you never answered my question...would Fields have lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl last year?

image.thumb.png.912b4880dab1be423783e8924f66ccdd.png

Yes Fields can do whatever Hurts does including the running. He's completely overrated and just plays the same kind of safe football that Tyrod did

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yes Fields can do whatever Hurts does including the running. He's completely overrated and just plays the same kind of safe football that Tyrod did

Just to be clear, you are stating "yes" that Justin Fields would have lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl last year?  
I just want to make sure that I'm not dreaming you're saying that.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just to be clear, you are stating "yes" that Justin Fields would have lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl last year?  
I just want to make sure that I'm not dreaming you're saying that.

Fields is a better overall player than Hurts so he can do whatever he does, yes. Give him the best team and OL in the NFL and all of those weapons. He can learn to play the same mindless safe football that Tua and Hurts play.

Tua was Fields before McDaniels and Tyreek. You guys have short memories. The Dolphins should let Tua walk or trade him and grab Fields for a bag of footballs and he can do whatever Tua does and then some. There's no way Tua is worth the richest contract in NFL history (which is what he's about to get)

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Fields is a better overall player than Hurts so he can do whatever he does, yes. Give him the best team and OL in the NFL and all of those weapons. He can learn to play the same mindless safe football that Tua and Hurts play.

Tua was Fields before McDaniels and Tyreek. You guys have short memories. The Dolphins should let Tua walk or trade him and grab Fields for a bag of footballs and he can do whatever Tua does and then some. There's no way Tua is worth the richest contract in NFL history (which is what he's about to get)

This is a very strange Internet hill to die on.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Fields was better in HS, better in college, and now as a pro he's on the worst team and Hurts is on the best team. Simple as that 

There were guys better than Hurts in high school, who are not even in the NFL. So you are following up your goofy take, with an even goofier take. 

Bears better be on the horn with the  Saskatchewan Roughriders to sign up Shea Patterson. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB

Just now, Chaos said:

There were guys better than Hurts in high school, who are not even in the NFL. So you are following up your goofy take, with an even goofier take. 

Bears better be on the horn with the  Saskatchewan Roughriders to sign up Shea Patterson. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB

No just Fields specifically. He was the #1 recruit in the country for a reason. He's more athletic than those guys and a bigger arm. If before last season someone would have said Tua was going to be the best QB in the NFL by 2023 you would have the same opinion as you do now about Fields. Fields is a very very good player and he will have 2nd life once he gets out of Chicago 

56 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

So are you saying Tua got good on his own and it just so happened to coincide with McDaniels and Hill getting there? That would be a strange coincidence don't you think?

tua has always been good . . . enough.

But just not good enough to run a pro offense.  No arm.

So McDaniels created an offense for a qb who has no arm.   Get the ball to super fast guys on short throws, preferably on quick reads.

And its the "reads" part that i think our boy Fields has not shown he is capable of. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

the music is . . . perfect

Edited by maddenboy

42 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

No just Fields specifically. He was the #1 recruit in the country for a reason. He's more athletic than those guys and a bigger arm. If before last season someone would have said Tua was going to be the best QB in the NFL by 2023 you would have the same opinion as you do now about Fields. Fields is a very very good player and he will have 2nd life once he gets out of Chicago 

Matt Barkley was also the #1 recruit.  Was that for a reason as well?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And recruiting rankings is for college and how they think they will translate ...

Not translation to the pros

And Matt Barkley was a great college quarterback who was ready day 1

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is a very strange Internet hill to die on.

He can’t really believe it.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Fields was better in HS, better in college, and now as a pro he's on the worst team and Hurts is on the best team. Simple as that 

What would it take to trade for Fields?  At least one first rounder right?  I mean if he’s better than Jalen Hurts, I think he would need maybe two first rounders?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He can’t really believe it.

What would it take to trade for Fields?  At least one first rounder right?  I mean if he’s better than Jalen Hurts, I think he would need maybe two first rounders?

Eagles tried to trade for Deshaun Watson and if he didn't hate Philly then Hurts would have been cut.  Fields rushed for over 1000 yards last year.  You are acting like he's never been a good Pro

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Matt Barkley's career stats aren't as good as Fields stats last year alone.  Matt Barkley was a 4th round pick not #11 overall.  I don't get the comparison

7 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Eagles tried to trade for Deshaun Watson and if he didn't hate Philly then Hurts would have been cut.  Fields rushed for over 1000 yards last year.  You are acting like he's never been a good Pro

Because he hasn't been a good pro lol.  His one year of 1,000 yards rushing, to you, means he's better than Hurts.  That one stat you hold onto that proves he's better than Hurts.

The Eagles still could have cut hurts and could have gone after other QB's.  But instead they stuck with the guy who took them to a Super Bowl and gave him at the time the largest contact in the NFL.  But yeah Fields > Hurts.  WOW.

7 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Matt Barkley's career stats aren't as good as Fields stats last year alone.  Matt Barkley was a 4th round pick not #11 overall.  I don't get the comparison

The comparison is they were both #1 HS recruits.  I brought that up because you think that's evidence Fields good pro...which obviously not.

Listen, if you want to be the only person in the world to say that Justin Fields is a better QB than Hurts, lead that parade.  Not worth discussing anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because he hasn't been a good pro lol.  His one year of 1,000 yards rushing, to you, means he's better than Hurts.  That one stat you hold onto that proves he's better than Hurts.

The Eagles still could have cut hurts and could have gone after other QB's.  But instead they stuck with the guy who took them to a Super Bowl and gave him at the time the largest contact in the NFL.  But yeah Fields > Hurts.  WOW.

The comparison is they were both #1 HS recruits.  I brought that up because you think that's evidence Fields good pro...which obviously not.

Listen, if you want to be the only person in the world to say that Justin Fields is a better QB than Hurts, lead that parade.  Not worth discussing anymore.

The point is Fields has been better than Hurts and Tua at every level. He was thrown into a crappy pro situation and now you think he's not good. Tua was in a crappy situation too and was also not good and now he's in a good situation and all of a sudden he's good. Think about that.

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The point is Fields has been better than Hurts and Tua at every level. He was thrown into a crappy pro situation and now you think he's not good. Tua was in a crappy situation too and was also not good and now he's in a good situation and all of a sudden he's good. Think about that.

As a QB, what is Fields really good at?  

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Excuse me but Fields was never better than Hurts or Tua at any level, nor was he even almost as good as Mac Jones who destroyed Fields and his team in the title game. In fact, Mac played the second half without Davonta Smith and Jalen Waddle, two superstars. 

Really, I'm sorry but Fields did not and does not compare to any of the above mentioned 3 QBs. He could run better than Mac or Tua. That's about it. They were superior to him in every other category, and of course still are.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He just put up the 2nd best QB rushing season in NFL history. Better than Hurts and Tua at that, that's a given. As a soph in college he put up 41 TD's to only 3 ints. He can play the super efficient game like those guys. He's also super accurate. His pro stats don't reflect that because his receivers are trash and can't catch. He's always been consistently a 70% completion percentage guy every step of the way. He's on a trash team, it's pretty obvious what's going on here.

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He just put up the 2nd best QB rushing season in NFL history. Better than Hurts and Tua at that, that's a given. As a soph in college he put up 41 TD's to only 3 ints. He can play the super efficient game like those guys. He's also super accurate. His pro stats don't reflect that because his receivers are trash and can't catch. He's always been consistently a 70% completion percentage guy every step of the way. He's on a trash team, it's pretty obvious what's going on here.

Just stop already.  You’re just trolling at this point and sound ridiculous. 

• Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just stop already.  You’re just trolling at this point and sound ridiculous. 

His response will be “but many people on X agree with me”, rinse and repeat. Apparently finding one vague person elsewhere that shares his opinion is enough of a justification for going off the rails here. Dude has turned into an exhausting character. He’s about a month away from making flat earth claims.

26 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

No one cares about that.  That's not what they are paying him for.

The Falcons receiver stunk last year and Marriota had a better passing year.  Ditto for Davis Mills.

This isn't college--where he had a grand total of 22 starts at OSU...a school famous for not preparing their stat padding QBs for the NFL.  This kid's draft stock is completely due to his one playoff game vs Clemson in 2020. He never should have entered the draft with that weak resume.  In his 2 biggest games in his college career, he crapped the bed.

As someone upstream said, this is a very bizarre hill to die on.  He's awful at being an NFL QB---and getting worse.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I feel for you man. Seriously. There was a time in my life when I saw a multi-talented Rob Johnson and had it in my mind that he would, some day, be our franchise quarterback.

Then at some point I did accept the cold hard truth.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Excuse me but Fields was never better than Hurts or Tua at any level, nor was he even almost as good as Mac Jones who destroyed Fields and his team in the title game. In fact, Mac played the second half without Davonta Smith and Jalen Waddle, two superstars. 

Really, I'm sorry but Fields did not and does not compare to any of the above mentioned 3 QBs. He could run better than Mac or Tua. That's about it. They were superior to him in every other category, and of course still are.

I knew you would chime in here eventually since this is in essence an Alabama vs. Ohio State argument.  Yesterday, I went back to look at Alabama games from the Tua era to see if there are any similarities between what they ran to what McDaniel is doing in Miami. The Miami offense is, at its core, a college offense on steroids. And those roids are insane amounts of pre-snap motion. But what jumped out is this; Tua had a better team in Tuscolussa than he does in Miami. The 2019 Crimson Tide has Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Jalen Waddle, Henry Ruggs, Brian Robinson, and Najee Harris. That's better weapons than any NFL team in history. Even this does nothing to help the argument that Fields is better than Tua. Tua had to deliver the ball accurately and on schedule, just as he has to now in Miami. Fields doesn't have the accuracy and touch to do even that. 

The more interesting argument is this. We know that Tua couldn't run the Daboll/Dorsey offense that Josh Allen runs. He would just get sacked holding the ball all the time. But could Josh Allen run McDaniel's offense? I'm not sure that he could.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Running. Which is a QB function too.

Seriously, some OC somewhere could find a way to maximize his incredible talents. I'm not sure if he's Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts or Terrelle Pryor or Taysom Hill or Tim Tebow. And I'm really not convinced he's a starting QB. But he has a particular skill set that can help a functional team win games. That's obviously not the Bears.

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

But could Josh Allen run McDaniel's offense? I'm not sure that he could.

After watching the Dolphins-Broncos beat down, I had the same thought. McDaniel has optimized that offense for Tua, and Tua showed some incredible NBA point guard-style passing (check out those little forward pitches, impeccably concealed/timed/delivered for big gains), which is quite different than Josh Allen's down field passing game. Different skills, different offenses.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

17 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Running. Which is a QB function too.

Seriously, some OC somewhere could find a way to maximize his incredible talents. I'm not sure if he's Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts or Terrelle Pryor or Taysom Hill or Tim Tebow. And I'm really not convinced he's a starting QB. But he has a particular skill set that can help a functional team win games. That's obviously not the Bears.

After watching the Dolphins-Broncos beat down, I had the same thought. McDaniel has optimized that offense for Tua, and Tua showed some incredible NBA point guard-style passing (check out those little forward pitches, impeccably concealed/timed/delivered for big gains), which is quite different than Josh Allen's down field passing game. Different skills, different offenses.

The Bears drafted him as their starting/franchise QB. 

If his incredible talents are limited to running, what playoff caliber Offense could be built around him?  He's not nearly the passer that Jackson is.  

If you are saying he could be a Taysom Hill type of gadget sub, then sure, I guess so.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. Franchise QB is looking unlikely.

Starting QB? I wouldn't give up on that yet. Hire Greg Roman!

People keep saying "Greg Roman"--as though he has some magic.  He doesn't.  He has Lamar Jackson, who is light years ahead of Fields.  And even with that, the Ravens have won a single game in Jackson's career. The kid had an insane 2019, a good 2020 and since has been (when on the field and not the whirlpool) mediocre. He's been 17-10 as a starter since 2020, with only 8 rushing TDs over those 27 games.  The Jackson-Roman combo has kind of lost its luster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.