Raiders @ Bills - Postgame Thread

HappyDays

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Good Morning Football showed only 1 play from our game. ONE PLAY! Allen to Davis TD. Obviously, winning convincingly doesn’t match up with their narrative that our Super Bowl window has closed and Josh sucks all the time now. 😡

haha, I'm not worried about GMFB not showing the Bills enough love. We're practically the official team of the show.

Blowouts dont ever get much love on the highlight shows. No real interesting story.

It's why I love blowouts. It's boring and relaxing. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Harty is a guy that was always going to start slow, he needs to be a guy they build up and get him on film as the season goes on

Right now teams are too focused on him when he is on the field but as the season goes on and the bills don't always pass a swing or a screen to him things will start to open up

But for now it's gonna look like a huge waste of money

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

And are the Bills studying the Fish? While nobody can match Hill’s speed, we might want to design a few of Tua’s quick 1/2 second outs. In fact, Allen having the much stronger arm plus size, should do even better with a few of those.

Good point.

I'd also like to see them study Pats** scheme v TH. Didn't see the game but held him to 5/40.

https://x.com/BuffaloBills/status/1703756507425435694?s=20

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good Morning Football showed only 1 play from our game. ONE PLAY! Allen to Davis TD. Obviously, winning convincingly doesn’t match up with their narrative that our Super Bowl window has closed and Josh sucks all the time now. 😡

Would have thought that the Shakir TD would have been cooler.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

I think it is cool that Lawson is getting starter snaps. People were saying he could be a camp casualty, but I really like his game. He sets the edge, and doesn’t over pursue. Maybe someone like Epenesa has a higher ceiling, but Lawson is more consistent.

Also Harty seems like McKenzie except he’s getting paid 5x as much. Kind of waiting to see how he gets involved.

Agree about Lawson. Feels like maybe that was game specific to help with Jacobs. If so, it worked. I would expect somewhat the same next week against Washington. Robinson is a legit RB.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't disagree with any of this but I'd suggest that the reason that Lawson's snap count was so high was that the Bills called off the dogs midway through the 4th qrtr and as a result Shaq was on the field for the rest of the game at that point.

So there are a couple of interesting things in the snap counts.

First off, you're exactly right, a lot of backups (Neal, Lewis, Jackson, Williams, Jackson, Rapp) got 15% of the snap counts while a lot of the starters (Poyer, Hyde, Bernard ,White, Milano) played 85%. 

Lawson got 48% of the snaps last week, so it's reasonable to think that his 60% may reflect getting about 12% more snaps from staying in when the starters went out.  He's also a better run defender, so it's possible he was part of the Bills game plan for stopping the run.

A Couple other things that struck me

- Taron Johnson had 5% fewer snaps than the other starters, while Dodson had 5% more than the other backups (20% vs 15%). 

-Rapp had the same amount of snaps as the other backups. 

I didn't notice during the game, but it looks as though the Bills may have played about 5% base 3-4 D.  Last week, they brought in Rapp for Johnson and apparently decided that didn't work as well as they hoped, or wasn't as situationally appropriate for this game vs last year's rushing yards leader

-Jordan Phillips played fewer snaps this week than last, while Poona Ford and Tim Settle played more.  Does that reflect taking out starters, or does it reflect opponent-specific adjustment?  Phillps as we know has a tendency to be too aggressive in penetration at the expense of gap integrity against the run

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We only won by 28 over a 1-0.  What did you expect?

"Oh sure, great QB.  Contact us when his rating is over 130, he completes 90% of his passes, and has 4 TDs instead of 3.  On second thought, don't contact us at all.  Milano who?  Cook who?!"

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Harty is a guy that was always going to start slow, he needs to be a guy they build up and get him on film as the season goes on

Right now teams are too focused on him when he is on the field but as the season goes on and the bills don't always pass a swing or a screen to him things will start to open up

Don't know..Harty was advertised as a really fast weapon and thus far he does not look like he plays fast. Dorsey seems to like calling WR screens for him so maybe it's a matter of time before one goes for a big play. 

9 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Hopeful on your post..  and I do think there's reason to believe this will be the case.  

We saw a legitimate vision on how Cook can be used this year, in addition to how they plan on deploying Knox and Kincaid.

Harty is likely an X-Factor type player behind Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid and Cook..  So once we get them all established, I could see things opening up for him.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hopeful on your post..  and I do think there's reason to believe this will be the case.  

We saw a legitimate vision on how Cook can be used this year, in addition to how they plan on deploying Knox and Kincaid.

Harty is likely an X-Factor type player behind Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid and Cook..  So once we get them all established, I could see things opening up for him.

I like to think he will be built up similarly to how McKenzie was 2 seasons ago, where out of no where he was a legit weapon late in the season

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Don't know..Harty was advertised as a really fast weapon and thus far he does not look like he plays fast. Dorsey seems to like calling WR screens for him so maybe it's a matter of time before one goes for a big play. 

I do agree his play speed doesn't look as fast as advertised which is slightly concerning but could be that defenses are prepared and ready for him right now

16 hours ago, Mark92 said:

Dorsey did nothing different last week than he did this week.  Last week Allen lost that game not Dorsey. 

Well, my eyeball test watching the televised film can be deceptive, but relative to last week I thought Dorsey called

-a lot more plays under center (not hard since wk 1 was like all shotgun)

-a lot more play action (again not hard since not used much wk 1)

Personnel wise

-less snaps from Davis - 94% last week, 74% this week.  Some of this is probably "resting the starters in 4Q", but some is taking him off the field

-more snaps for Sherfield 16% last week, 41% this week. Some of these are probably "resting the starters in 4Q", but I'd say 25-29% is using him more

-Kincaid saw a drop in snaps from 80% to 60%, again, some "resting the starters" but perhaps some using Sherfield from the slot instead of Kincaid?  He is a rookie and expected to have some growing pains.

It will be interesting to see the Commanders game.  They are 2-0 and would love to go 3-0 on our shoulders.  Ron Rivera should have the Book on McDermott's defensive tendencies.  On the other hand, McDermott has some Book on Rivera, and will be highly motivated to beat his old mentor/HC. 

Plus, despite how they looked against Dallas,  I do think the Jets are a better team than either Broncos and certainly than Cardinals.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He had one WR screen that should have been DOA where he ended up getting around ~8 yards. I like him a lot more than McKenzie the last two games. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oddly enough it feels more comfortably familiar to not have that spotlight on our team like it was last year with all the off-season hype and expectations.

It would be too much to hope that opposing coaches sleep on the Bills too, but highly doubtful.

Was a great game yet I came away thinking this team has not yet hit it's stride and what that could look like...

'A two-dimensional offense' | Bills' rushing attack opens up playbook

Running back James Cook exploded for the best single-game performance of his short career. The 23-year-old averaged 7.2 yards per carry and totaled 159 yards from scrimmage. The offense tallied 183 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

"Kudos to my line, my O-line," Cook said. "They blocked great and opened up lanes for us and we hit them."

"I tip my hat to our offensive line and our three running backs," McDermott said after the game. "It's important that we have that. We can be a two-dimensional offense, pound the ball when we need to pound it. … When you can control the line of scrimmage, it makes play-calling a lot easier."

Quarterback Josh Allen, who ran for just seven yards, said that leaning on the run game makes it easier for him as a passer.

There was a bad PI call made against the Bills D, refs threw the flag and started marching up the field.  Then inexplicably, the flag was picked up and was determined to not be a penalty.  One of the announces said a call came in from NY and negated the call.

Is this an actual thing or did the refs have a discussion.  It didn't seem like it.  But there were other bad calls yesterday (different games) and no reversal happened.

Just looking for some clarity.

Just now, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

There was a bad PI call made against the Bills D, refs threw the flag and started marching up the field.  Then inexplicably, the flag was picked up and was determined to not be a penalty.  One of the announces said a call came in from NY and negated the call.

Is this an actual thing or did the refs have a discussion.  It didn't seem like it.  But there were other bad calls yesterday (different games) and no reversal happened.

I believe the "call from NY" part was confirming the WR was out of bounds and wasnt a catch. Picking up the flag was just on the refs. And was greatly appreciated.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

They also initially called it a good catch despite the fact that I don't think he got either foot down inbounds.

If your looking for clarity re: what calls are coming from where, I would suggest not holding your breath while doing so.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe the "call from NY" part was confirming the WR was out of bounds and wasnt a catch. Picking up the flag was just on the refs. And was greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

They also initially called it a good catch despite the fact that I don't think he got either foot down inbounds.

If your looking for clarity re: what calls are coming from where, I would suggest not holding your breath while doing so.

Got it....I never thought his feet were in bounds to begin with as well, and probably missed half the explanation because I was yelling at the invisible ref in my living room.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Got it....I never thought his feet were in bounds to begin with as well, and probably missed half the explanation because I was yelling at the invisible ref in my living room.

We never got a real explanation, but I know DPI isnt reviewable so it's the only possibility. And the NFL will absolutely not try to second guess refs on PI calls. We already saw that play out.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Diggs looked good on his wide receiver screen.

Harty on those has not found much daylight. The way defenses are jumping that perhaps they should modify that to a pump fake and wheel route.

But I am with you in that I expected more short area quick twitch capabilities to make guys miss.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Dorsey has definitely been trying to make Harty a thing - not much production to show for it.  At this point would rather have Cook get those little screens on the edge

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Good point. The problem seems to be when he is on the field, everyone knows he is getting the ball on a gadget. Would like to see him just run some normal routes. 

• Like (+1) 3

Let’s go Buffalo!

The Erie County (NY) Sheriff’s Office announced Monday that a 29-year-old male, whose name has been withheld so he can possibly change it before this arrest report ruins his life, was arrested Sunday at the Bills tailgate after falling into a pit at the construction site for the new Bills Stadium.

This wasn’t just any kind of arrest. The grown man was covered in crap and that’s just the beginning of the fun for this wild man.

According to the Buffalo News, the guy had covered himself in crap inside a portable toilet around 12:18 p.m. before exiting the Porta-let and getting naked. That’s when he jumped a construction site fence and went streaking right into a 30-foot pit where police arrested him for this ridiculous behavior.

Dude, what were you thinking?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

That was good stuff - on top of showcasing where they helped on Crosby

- Seeing the view on the Shakir TD - it was an insane play by Josh.  Like in fractions of a second goes from being dead w/ a DL popping up and being right in his face - then quick subtle move to back up and fire the ball all at once,  just incredible

- I was wondering on the broadcast what the pump was all about was nice to see the play unfold here

- Was crazy how wide the DEs were lining up on some of those plays and they still managed to be in formation where someone was there to get an initial shot on Crosby way out there

- Even just this subset showed even with Josh "being conservative" and "taking what they gave" - it involved so much quick processing by him and skill executing some non-trivial throws even though they were "check downs"

• Like (+1) 6

7 hours ago, Process said:

Yea the Harty signing is looking like a head scratcher. Maybe they were planning on him being more involved before they drafted Kincaid. 

Is there an out in his contract after this year?

Harty averaged 15.8 YPC on 36 catches in 2021.  Deonte ran a 4.35.  The screens have not been working, he goes down easy.  Dorsey needs to get the ball to Harty in space.  He is electric in the open field

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.