Week 2 Bills vs Raiders Home Opener!

BuffaloBillyG

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t mind if Josh only throws for 225 and 1 TD, I just want to see sound decisions making overall. 

Fair- But we also don't want Josh to turn into tyrod taylor or chad pennington.

Part of what makes him special is his high risk/high reward.

Now obviously he played dumb on monday and took too many unnecessary risks.

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fair- But we also don't want Josh to turn into tyrod taylor or chad pennington.

Part of what makes him special is his high risk/high reward.

Now obviously he played dumb on monday and took too many unnecessary risks.

The best QBs properly regulate their risk taking. If they’re comfortably ahead, they get more and more conservative as the game winds down. If they are behind in the game, then they take more risks as time runs out. Analytics folks have risk taking by QBs plotted out versus time remaining and score differential. That’s overlayed with expected win percentage. Brady’s risk curve was a freaking perfect match to EWP. Also this was a (valid IMO) criticism of Rodgers - he did not take enough risks when his team was down big and/or late. I can only imagine what Allen’s looks like. 

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's not but it's definitely not a good look for the Bills own internal reporter.

It’s going to be embarrassing for her for sure. But it’s a hot mic that picked up a person who is knowledgeable speaking honestly. 

• Agree 1

Josh coming out confident, while acknowledging he let himself get out of hand,  in his abilities was the best thing I've heard today.  He's not going to be a successful QB is he's playing constrained. That's not him

3 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Hard when Josh sees the field about as well as Helen Keller…

leave it to MIDermmot to throw everybody under the bus except himself…

That was taken out of context, "We need that" was talking about getting more people involved, not calling out players

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, appoo said:

Josh coming out confident, while acknowledging he let himself get out of hand,  in his abilities was the best thing I've heard today.  He's not going to be a successful QB is he's playing constrained. That's not him

That was taken out of context, "We need that" was talking about getting more people involved, not calling out players

I agree. The number two can be Davis, Hardy or who ever steps up. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

https://clutchpoints.com/raiders-4-causes-concern-despite-surprising-win-broncos

The Raiders' interior defensive line had difficulties stopping the run against the Broncos. Even though they only allowed 94 rushing yards, they often found themselves getting pushed back by the Broncos' offensive line. Bilal Nichols had a subpar performance, and Jerry Tilley had his fair share of ups and downs. These included jumping Offside on a critical fourth-down play. To address these issues, it might be beneficial to give more playing time to other guys Byron Young and Nesta Jade Silvera. If the Raiders can't shore up their interior run defense, opposing teams might exploit this weakness by just running the ball up the middle.

This is what I saw too. A lot of lateral speed, and the outside stuff Sean Payton tried didn't work so well. But the Raiders interior run defense looked soft, and running effectively inside also plays against Crosby's strength - anything slow-developing, you can expect him to appear out of nowhere to disrupt it. He's that good

I just watched the condensed version of the game. I wonder if the Raiders lack of inside run defense was because they were playing to stop long passes. I know Russel Wilson has fallen off considerably, but he always had a very good deep ball. I don’t remember seeing him attempt anything downfield in that game. 

If that was by design, then I expect the Raiders to do the same on Sunday. That would require Allen to hit a lot of check downs and play small ball. Dorsey would have to call a lot of inside runs too. The Raidersp also have very good talent at DE. Crosby is a stud who I expect to go against the Bills weak link at RT. That might not go great.

On offense the Raiders are better than the Jets without Rodgers. Grapes is way better than Zach Wilson. Both WR rooms have a stud, but the Raiders are deeper there. Their OL is better than the Jets too - especially at OT (where the Jets are trash).

Combine all that with a short week and I see a much tougher game than the 9 point betting line. The Bills should be able to eke out a W at home, but they ALL need to come to play. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I agree. The number two can be Davis, Hardy or who ever steps up. 

And I didn't actually have much of an issue with it against the Jets. In fact I was mostly happy with all the skill players. The Jets set out to take away the deep ball. The short and intermediate was there for the taking, but we didn't have a QB with enough patience in the 2nd half.

Just now, appoo said:

And I didn't actually have much of an issue with it against the Jets. In fact I was mostly happy with all the skill players. The Jets set out to take away the deep ball. The short and intermediate was there for the taking, but we didn't have a QB with enough patience in the 2nd half.

Yeah idk what's up with the brain farts. Funny how a team will struggle and then when they're up against a wall they go fast paced and start humming. It tires out the defense. On Monday when the Bills went hurry up. Josh was hitting his guys (for the most part). Why wait? If josh wants to be unscripted why not let him way before we are losing to zack freekin Wilson. 

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm in a crap mental state and I'll own it.  I need Josh to prove he can take the easy stuff, and there aren't many teams that will make him do that.  Until those games happen, I just feel blah

V: maybe I can pick you up a bit...

Listening to wgr while driving yesterday. Virgil (from somewhere) called in...he was well-spoken, clever, and made an interesting, incisive point.

Immediately, I thought: hey that must be "our" Virgil.

So, you got that going for you....

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

V: maybe I can pick you up a bit...

Listening to wgr while driving yesterday. Virgil (from somewhere) called in...he was well-spoken, clever, and made an interesting, incisive point.

Immediately, I thought: hey that must be "our" Virgil.

So, you got that going for you....

Which is nice ! ️ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Raiders appear a bit banged up I expect a heavy dose of Brandon Jacobs this week to try to shrink the game.

On the other side Patrick Graham is from the hoodie coaching tree and was dcoordinator with the Fins in Josh’s second year so Josh is familiar with the kind defense they run 

The Raiders do have Maxx Crosby if they can neutralize him the Bills o should be able to take advantage. 
Bills should absolutely win this game comfortably if 17 takes care of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Gabe Davis....tick tock...contract season is here. Step up or step out.

I have the sense other NFL players just don't respect Gabe Davis. He may be a good blocker, but he's not much of a threat as a receiver. I wonder if Beane will pull something off. Trade Elam for a decent WR? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I DO understand the concern based on Monday's performance.  It seems eerily similar to problems Josh and the Bills have had throughout his career.  It also seemed like things were working in the first half.  They didn't score a ton, but against that kind of defense (and lame offense) it's a sound strategy to gain a few yards, play field position, and get touchdowns or field goals when a situation presents itself.  Josh just appeared incapable of being patient with that plan.

That said, I think it is particularly hard to play a good defense in the first game in this day and age.  Practice time is reduced, and playing time in pre-season is greatly reduced.  They just aren't used to seeing and reading defenses.  If there is one player I think might eventually rival Brady as a reader of defenses/decision maker, it's Joe Brady.  He always seems to make the right decision.  He threw for what, 80 yards?  The first few games of the regular season are the new pre-season so there is hope that Josh will be a better, or at least more consistent, reader of defenses this year.

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Its a long season and week 1 isn't any indicator of future success.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-teams-to-make-playoffs-after-0-2-starts-history-shows-why-cowboys-others-could-be-in-trouble-with-week-2-losses/ar-AA11Y5xR

0-1 may mean nothing.  0-2 seems to be statistically significant.  Since 1970, fewer than 10% of the teams that start 0-2 have made the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Combine all that with a short week and I see a much tougher game than the 9 point betting line.

Yeah, if I were a betting man I’d take the points. The Raiders are seriously flawed but they can do damage. I am not basing this on anything analytical, but I also think Jimmy G is more of a winner than Derek Carr. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-teams-to-make-playoffs-after-0-2-starts-history-shows-why-cowboys-others-could-be-in-trouble-with-week-2-losses/ar-AA11Y5xR

0-1 may mean nothing.  0-2 seems to be statistically significant.  Since 1970, fewer than 10% of the teams that start 0-2 have made the playoffs. 

cough cough, Cinn last year!

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, if I were a betting man I’d take the points. The Raiders are seriously flawed but they can do damage. I am not basing this on anything analytical, but I also think Jimmy G is more of a winner than Derek Carr. 

Hmmm maybe. Jimmy G is also Jimmy Glass though.  Potentially, he might not even make it out of this game lol.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Soooo… a must win? 

2 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Soooo… a must win? 

As far as I am concerned, every game is a must win.  If we are getting to the super bowl its by starting with the #1 seed.  Too many good AFC teams.  I'm not going to jump off a cliff when we lose some games, but that's my mindset.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Pro football Reference advanced stats are in:

Notes:

Diggs caught 10 of 11 targets. Not ad advanced stat, just a good one. 

Kincaid was very impactful. PFR has a “success” rating, which gives a number out of 100 for yards gained vs down and distance. DK had a 100, meaning very good. 

Hardy and Cook did not do great on that success scale. 

Bernard was credited with 1 missed tackle. He was didn’t allow a reception (0-1), made 11 tackles, and had a QB hurry on his 1 blitz. 

Milano’s numbers were very similar (1-2, 7 yards and 1 missed tackle), plus a pick. 

Tre Day was targeted 3 times, gave up 2 catches for 1 yard and a TD. Did have 2 missed tackles (ouch)

Benford also 3 targets, 2 catches for 26 yards. Zero missed tackles. 

Hyde and Poyer were solid, maybe rusty. 

You realize Josh isn’t going to sit here and answer questions at these pressers like the fans and media are the ultimate authority figures.

He owes none of us any explanations/apologies and gives us all ‘coach speak’ answers because it’s what he was taught to do. 

Agree that JA will engage in coach speak, but interesting he is following through on what he was taught about that but not about sliding, reading defenses, progressions, taking what the D is giving, etc.  

The Raiders game won't be a cakewalk. They went into Denver and beat them. Denver does have a very good defense. 

Jimmy G is definitely serviceable and experienced. However, he's limited and can be forced into turnovers. Pressure him. 

The Raiders will likely try to pound the rock with Jacobs. The Bills can't have blown assignments and gaps because he will make you pay. 

I really interested in seeing how the Bills team responds. How Allen responds. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

As far as I am concerned, every game is a must win.  If we are getting to the super bowl its by starting with the #1 seed.  Too many good AFC teams.  I'm not going to jump off a cliff when we lose some games, but that's my mindset.

O - 2 is pretty hard to come back from. Take into account the Bills schedule too. 

IMHO, it's not a must win because there are too many games left. There is plenty of time to go on a run. 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

O - 2 is pretty hard to come back from. Take into account the Bills schedule too. 

IMHO, it's not a must win because there are too many games left. There is plenty of time to go on a run. 

It's just my mindset bro. I dont actually believe they are all must win. I just don't want to be at the end of the season for the third year in a row wishing we would have just won that one more game... any of them and gotten the 1 seed.

Also you kind of contradict yourself here.  Your first two sentences indicate its kinda a must win.  Hard to come back from 0-2. It's one of the easier games on the schedule.  You follow that up with "IMHO its not a must win"

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, snamsnoops said:

cough cough, Cinn last year!

Sure, it happens often enough. The vast majority of teams that start 0-2 are just bad . They may not even get to double digit wins. Some good teams just get off to a slow start. Not many , but some. Also , the stat since 1970 . Counting strike years, 10 of those seasons had less than 16 games. That’s less room for error and less games to catch up. The playoffs didn’t consist of more than 10 teams until 1990. Not knocking the stat, but there are some specifics that also contributed . 0-4 seems to be a pretty good indicator - There have only been a handful of teams that made the postseason after going 0-4. I’m pretty sure that a couple of those actually made the Super Bowl , oddly enough. Anyway, you don’t want lose back to back games in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, finn said:

I have the sense other NFL players just don't respect Gabe Davis. He may be a good blocker, but he's not much of a threat as a receiver. I wonder if Beane will pull something off. Trade Elam for a decent WR? 

I’d like to see Sherfield start and play more. Let’s see with the offense looks like with more of him and less of Davis. Doesn’t have to be permanent. Just want to see if it’s any better. I like the way he plays. Bring Davis in more rotational like we did early on when he was at his best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Davante Adams missed practice dealing with a foot injury and Jakobi Myers who had a great week 1 is in concussion protocol , as well as a depth WR missed practice. Brutal for LV. OurvD should dominate 

As far as our WRs, Sherfield and Shakir combined for 0 targets. Gotta get em involved.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.