Week 2 Bills vs Raiders Home Opener!

BuffaloBillyG

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Blue on white please….or White on white 

As i said prior to the Jets game, I think the only solace to a loss would be they can ditch the dumb superstition that the Blue/Blue uniforms are good luck.  

This just in...They suck and are ugly.

Blue over white this week as the home uniform as it always should be.  Stop messing with the blue/blue nonsense.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Prediction: more heavy sets, more Latavius Murray and Damien Harris, with support from Gilliam at FB/TE.

The Broncos got a lot of production out of Javonte Williams (strong inside runner coming off an ACL) and even Samaje Perrine. The Broncos O line is also a work in progress, but they moved the Raiders around on run plays pretty effectively. Pass rush with Crosby going wild is their strength, defending the run is not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Prediction: more heavy sets, more Latavius Murray and Damien Harris, with support from Gilliam at FB/TE.

The Broncos got a lot of production out of Javonte Williams (strong inside runner coming off an ACL) and even Samaje Perrine. The Broncos O line is also a work in progress, but they moved the Raiders around on run plays pretty effectively. Pass rush with Crosby going wild is their strength, defending the run is not.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm in favor of Buffalo running more in general. Not talking being a ground and pound team by any means...but going from 80/20 pass to run ratio to 65/35ish would help limit opportunity for Allen to turn the ball over.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I really can't bring myself to care about this game.  I expect to win, but won't be shocked if we lose.  Even if we win, it still won't answer solve any of the concerns I have about Josh and Dorsey because the Raiders aren't a team that would create the challenges those two can't seem to overcome.

I'm in a crap mental state and I'll own it.  I need Josh to prove he can take the easy stuff, and there aren't many teams that will make him do that.  Until those games happen, I just feel blah

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 9

https://clutchpoints.com/raiders-4-causes-concern-despite-surprising-win-broncos

The Raiders' interior defensive line had difficulties stopping the run against the Broncos. Even though they only allowed 94 rushing yards, they often found themselves getting pushed back by the Broncos' offensive line. Bilal Nichols had a subpar performance, and Jerry Tilley had his fair share of ups and downs. These included jumping Offside on a critical fourth-down play. To address these issues, it might be beneficial to give more playing time to other guys Byron Young and Nesta Jade Silvera. If the Raiders can't shore up their interior run defense, opposing teams might exploit this weakness by just running the ball up the middle.

This is what I saw too. A lot of lateral speed, and the outside stuff Sean Payton tried didn't work so well. But the Raiders interior run defense looked soft, and running effectively inside also plays against Crosby's strength - anything slow-developing, you can expect him to appear out of nowhere to disrupt it. He's that good.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I really can't bring myself to care about this game.  I expect to win, but won't be shocked if we lose.  Even if we win, it still won't answer solve any of the concerns I have about Josh and Dorsey because the Raiders aren't a team that would create the challenges those two can't seem to overcome.

I'm in a crap mental state and I'll own it.  I need Josh to prove he can take the easy stuff, and there aren't many teams that will make him do that.  Until those games happen, I just feel blah

I'm the opposite. Looking forward to a good showing at home against a team we matchup pretty well with.

The Raiders are better than what folks predicted. Jimmy G. looked healthy and efficient. They have two forces (Jacobs and Davante) on offense, and one force (Crosby) on defense, but not a lot of standout individual performers other than that. I expect us to be ready, to have seen what the Broncos were able to exploit in a game they should've won (Payton's show-off onside kick to start the game didn't help, and his hand-picked kicker missed a PAT), and to put things on the right track.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Funny you say that right after I read this article. It discusses defending Mahomes but applies to Allen as well.

The NFL is ever evolving. Now the style is big armed QBs and explosive fast WRs. So defenses will adjust and that that away. What's the next evolution? Teams have across the league gone to lighter, faster coverage LBers to help.  I think the answer to help Allen is to have a consistent reliable ground game to take advantage, make teams defend it and take advantage where they can through the air in spots. A guy like KC has with Pacheco. Not flashy but can take advantage of a light box and deal punishment. Scheme guys open underneath and get those valuable RAC yards.

"It's high risk, throwing the ball all the way down the field, maybe in double coverage or if it's 40 yards in the air," Steelers quarterback Mitch Trubisky said. "Rather, (you can) throw it five yards and let that guy run the rest of the way, so the run after catch has been a huge emphasis ...You see the really good teams who are scoring a lot of points. They're not necessarily always throwing it deep. They're throwing it underneath and letting the guy run the rest of the way."

This quote by Trubisky illustrates in my mind why a guy like Tua is lighting up scoreboards and stat boxes, while QBs like Allen and Herbert are hit and miss. Must be nice to have a coach that can be ahead of offensive trends.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

• Simon pinned this topic
22 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm the opposite. Looking forward to a good showing at home against a team we matchup pretty well with.

The Raiders are better than what folks predicted. Jimmy G. looked healthy and efficient. They have two forces (Jacobs and Davante) on offense, and one force (Crosby) on defense, but not a lot of standout individual performers other than that. I expect us to be ready, to have seen what the Broncos were able to exploit in a game they should've won (Payton's show-off onside kick to start the game didn't help, and his hand-picked kicker missed a PAT), and to put things on the right track.

Go Bills!

To me, what would it prove?  The Raiders don't present the threat to Josh and Dorsey that would make them prove they've made the proper adjustments.  The Raiders just aren't on that level.  No, the Jets overall aren't either, but their defense is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Last year at this time the Bengals were dead in the water and the Chiefs were fatally flawed without Tyreek. Going into week 2, Buffalo was destined to lay waste to all opponents on their way to a perfect season and super bowl victory.  Its a long season and week 1 isn't any indicator of future success.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To me, what would it prove?  The Raiders don't present the threat to Josh and Dorsey that would make them prove they've made the proper adjustments.  The Raiders just aren't on that level.  No, the Jets overall aren't either, but their defense is.

I don't need the bills to prove they are a super bowl team in week 2. I want to see a fun team play a fun game and win. Then I want to enjoy the other week 2 games and look forward to week 3

• Like (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Well, it would show that our offense is effective and dangerous against a non-elite defense, which is what the Jets have now. We'll deal with the Jets defense when they come to Buffalo on November 19. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

I don't need the bills to prove they are a super bowl team in week 2. I want to see a fun team play a fun game and win. Then I want to enjoy the other week 2 games and look forward to week 3

Last year the Bills proved they were unbeatable in week 2 as they demolished the Titans on MNF.  It meant nothing in January.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Funny you say that right after I read this article. It discusses defending Mahomes but applies to Allen as well.

The NFL is ever evolving. Now the style is big armed QBs and explosive fast WRs. So defenses will adjust and that that away. What's the next evolution? Teams have across the league gone to lighter, faster coverage LBers to help.  I think the answer to help Allen is to have a consistent reliable ground game to take advantage, make teams defend it and take advantage where they can through the air in spots. A guy like KC has with Pacheco. Not flashy but can take advantage of a light box and deal punishment. Scheme guys open underneath and get those valuable RAC yards.

"It's high risk, throwing the ball all the way down the field, maybe in double coverage or if it's 40 yards in the air," Steelers quarterback Mitch Trubisky said. "Rather, (you can) throw it five yards and let that guy run the rest of the way, so the run after catch has been a huge emphasis ...You see the really good teams who are scoring a lot of points. They're not necessarily always throwing it deep. They're throwing it underneath and letting the guy run the rest of the way."

This quote by Trubisky illustrates in my mind why a guy like Tua is lighting up scoreboards and stat boxes, while QBs like Allen and Herbert are hit and miss. Must be nice to have a coach that can be ahead of offensive trends.

I don't think Trubisky's three longest career completions sum up to 40 air yards.

• Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

Bills right the ship this week and Josh has a great game. I expect to see some anger vented after last weeks crapfest.

I would actually like to see him control the emotions instead, and play like a 6 year veteran that he is. The top QBs don't have crappy stretches like Allen has had so if he comes out with another bad game, it's time to worry.

• Eyeroll 2

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Lol…. Tua and the Dolphins are scoring because they have the fastest WR in the NFL. You know, the one that used to catch passes from Mahomes ? It’s as simple as that , not some new trend. We saw nothing new this past Sunday. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

This is random. I've never heard of a team doing this. 

As Jauronimo stated , west to east for the early slot is a tough hill to climb. I’m guessing this has been done before , but I can’t say I can recall a recent example. It seems a smart move. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

As Jauronimo stated , west to east for the early slot is a tough hill to climb. I’m guessing this has been done before , but I can’t say I can recall a recent example. It seems a smart move. 

The 49ers have done this in the past. They stay in Youngstown, Ohio where their owner was raised and still has family in the area. They last did it in 2019, coincidentally when Jimmy G was the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

As Al Davis said:  JUST WIN BABY!

An NFL season is a marathon.  All I want to see is a W.  Don't care if they look like a Super Bowl team and blow the Raiders out or look crappy and barely win.  It simply doesn't matter at this point in the season.  The ONLY thing that matters is W/L.  You want to have a good enough record so you can win your division and be a 1 or 2 seed going into the playoffs if you catch fire at the end of the season.  Catching fire in the 2nd half of the season and roaring through the playoffs is how most teams win SB's.

This is what makes 2021 & 13 seconds so frustrating.  The Bills and particularly Allen did everything you're supposed to do to win a SB that year only to be let down by inexplicably bad coaching decisions at the end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Last year at this time the Bengals were dead in the water and the Chiefs were fatally flawed without Tyreek. Going into week 2, Buffalo was destined to lay waste to all opponents on their way to a perfect season and super bowl victory.  Its a long season and week 1 isn't any indicator of future success.  

I think this post needs to be pinned for the next few weeks.  You could even extend it through the first 4 or 5 weeks of last season.  The Bills we’re literally unstoppable.  How did all that September greatness pan out?    It is a long season.  

What this team, and all of us need, is a win while showing some improvement.  I’d love to see the coaches learn from their mistakes and actually develop a game plan to help Josh and the entire offense get into sync. Run the ball and find a way to start building confidence in the passing game. 

P.S. my theory on the all blues… its Kim’s favorite combo so they’re wearing it to show support during her recovery. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Got to flush the Jets game.  Onto the Raiders.  It's a long season.  Gotta hope that EVERYONE saying Allen sucked has sunk in and he'll stop playing like a dumb *****.  Only one person controls it and it's 17.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I'm right there with you Virgil.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, it would show that our offense is effective and dangerous against a non-elite defense, which is what the Jets have now. We'll deal with the Jets defense when they come to Buffalo on November 19. 

1 hour ago, arcane said:

14 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Got to flush the Jets game.  Onto the Raiders.  It's a long season.  Gotta hope that EVERYONE saying Allen sucked has sunk in and he'll stop playing like a dumb *****.  Only one person controls it and it's 17.

I appreciate what you all are saying, and I am normally in the same boat.  I get that it's only one game.  But that one game was against the perfect Defense to prove what Dorsey and Allen learned this offseason.  The answer is Nothing.  We aren't going to get tested like that again for a while and until that happens, it's hard for me to care about their performance.  

It's like Notre Dame in college football.  People get all excited about how great the are during the season and make the playoffs.  Then they get absolutely creamed.  It's to the point where their regular season is meaningless.  Now, if they placed more ranked games, or were in an actual good conference, I would give them more credit.  But the point is, they aren't being tested.

If we played the Chiefs or Bengals, and lost, but the team overall looked good.  I would be completely fine.  Again, it's that we played the type of defense that was the perfect test of our advancement.  We failed and I don't know how to take these practice tests seriously until another real test shows up.

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

In week 1, I expected a Bills loss (but I also thought we would be up against Rodgers).

in week 2, it’s one of the rare instances in which I expect a Bills win because I believe we match up well against the Raiders, I believe there will be a positive impact from week 1 and I believe west coast teams very often struggle in east coast games.

having said all of that, is anyone else surprised by the fact that we are up to 9.5 point favorites and tied for the heaviest favorites in the NFL this week?

You’d think we were coming off a clean win vs Jets and playing the Cardinals. 

Bills could easily win their next 7 games leading up to the Bengals. Only two where they won't be heavily favored is Dolphins at home and Jacksonville in London. I think we win both of those games. We don't face another really tough defense until a run of Broncos. Jets. Eagles and Cowboys in the later part of the season. Hopefully the offense will have worked out some kinks by then.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.