Week 2 Bills vs Raiders Home Opener!

BuffaloBillyG

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol…. Tua and the Dolphins are scoring because they have the fastest WR in the NFL. You know, the one that used to catch passes from Mahomes ? It’s as simple as that , not some new trend. We saw nothing new this past Sunday. 

The Chiefs remained at the top of the NFL in scoring without Hill.

Yes and the Dolphins are extremely inconsistent in scoring.

1 hour ago, ytownblofan said:

The 49ers have done this in the past. They stay in Youngstown, Ohio where their owner was raised and still has family in the area. They last did it in 2019, coincidentally when Jimmy G was the QB. 

It's not the worst idea to take a bunch of young men with a lot of money away from Las Vegas when preparing for a game. What is West Virginia if not the anti-Vegas?

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol…. Tua and the Dolphins are scoring because they have the fastest WR in the NFL. You know, the one that used to catch passes from Mahomes ? It’s as simple as that , not some new trend. We saw nothing new this past Sunday. 

We saw nothing new. We also saw nothing new to defend against that speed.

In the old days people would've said "hit Tua early and often." I'm glad we're past that.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Chiefs remained at the top of the NFL in scoring without Hill.

Yes and the Dolphins are extremely inconsistent in scoring.

They did. They also have the best OC/ play designer in the NFL and an uncoverable TE.  MIA has a WR that nobody can cover 1 on 1.. some still try with predictable results. 

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I appreciate what you all are saying, and I am normally in the same boat.  I get that it's only one game.  But that one game was against the perfect Defense to prove what Dorsey and Allen learned this offseason.  The answer is Nothing.  We aren't going to get tested like that again for a while and until that happens, it's hard for me to care about their performance.  

It's like Notre Dame in college football.  People get all excited about how great the are during the season and make the playoffs.  Then they get absolutely creamed.  It's to the point where their regular season is meaningless.  Now, if they placed more ranked games, or were in an actual good conference, I would give them more credit.  But the point is, they aren't being tested.

If we played the Chiefs or Bengals, and lost, but the team overall looked good.  I would be completely fine.  Again, it's that we played the type of defense that was the perfect test of our advancement.  We failed and I don't know how to take these practice tests seriously until another real test shows up.

I read the rest of the post and I gotta say I don't believe you.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's not the worst idea to take a bunch of young men with a lot of money away from Las Vegas when preparing for a game. What is West Virginia if not the anti-Vegas?

We saw nothing new. We also saw nothing new to defend against that speed.

In the old days people would've said "hit Tua early and often." I'm glad we're past that.

Hitting Tua early and often would have gone a long way to helping the Chargers achieve victory. They may still have screwed it up - they are the Chargers after all - Tua is glass and will be knocked out sooner than later. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hitting Tua early and often would have gone a long way to helping the Chargers achieve victory. They may still have screwed it up - they are the Chargers after all - Tua is glass and will be knocked out sooner than later. 

I don't deny that. But I really don't want to see him knocked out. I'd rather beat the Dolphins in a thrilling shootout with Tua on the field. They're the Dolphins so yeah, beat 'em down, but as a football fan it's fun to watch. Kind of The Greatest Thrill on Turf all over again.

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Browns have training camp at Greenbriar in WV. Is that where the Raiders went? They have a Sports Performance Center there. 

Yes exactly.  Greenbrier resort and practicing at SPC.

Very nice place to stay, 5-star hotel/resort.  

So yes, all the people ripping on WV, it's actually a very nice destination.  Similar to Nemacolin, for any SWPA folks.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They did. They also have the best OC/ play designer in the NFL and an uncoverable TE.  MIA has a WR that nobody can cover 1 on 1.. some still try with predictable results. 

If you live or die by one way, you're not going to survive.  Miami seems to be either a juggernaut to a juggerNOT <----pun

The Bills don't have a big speed element and have been a top 3 scoring team in the last 3 years.  

It seems we do have open WR's as well with our play design...especially underneath.

I wish we could go to a more methodical approach.  Our best game last year offensively was the Rams game because it was a good balance of short and long.

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I don't deny that. But I really don't want to see him knocked out. I'd rather beat the Dolphins in a thrilling shootout with Tua on the field. They're the Dolphins so yeah, beat 'em down, but as a football fan it's fun to watch. Kind of The Greatest Thrill on Turf all over again.

I can see that angle for sure.  However,  the win is all that matters and I’d like to see the Bills hit him mercilessly. Not in a dirty sort of way , I’m all for good clean hits . He’s just shown that he can’t handle it so that’s what I’d throw at him. The Bills fan in me would enjoy a blowout over the backup just as much. Josh of course would have to cooperate. He let them hang around with the backup QB last time. 

2 hours ago, arcane said:

I'm worried that blue/blue is simply their default color combo now. 

My gut says the Bills players like the blue/blue but they are also a superstitious bunch.  I figured getting punched in the gut vs. Cincinnati in the playoffs would be the end of that ugly outfit.  My guess is that since they won the primetime opener in LA last season wearing blue/blue, they went to the "good luck" well one more time.  Pfffffft.

I do believe we finally get back to business with the blue jersey/white pants for LV. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

So yes, all the people ripping on WV, it's actually a very nice destination.  Similar to Nemacolin, for any SWPA folks.

Wow.. great place with a heckuva golf course. Can’t imagine they wouldn’t squeeze in a round before practice week started. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's a beautiful place. It was built as a golf resort for Senators and the like. There is a direct rail line from DC with daily service to there for that reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you live or die by one way, you're not going to survive.  Miami seems to be either a juggernaut to a juggerNOT <----pun

The Bills don't have a big speed element and have been a top 3 scoring team in the last 3 years.  

It seems we do have open WR's as well with our play design...especially underneath.

I wish we could go to a more methodical approach.  Our best game last year offensively was the Rams game because it was a good balance of short and long.

Have to agree that you can’t be one dimensional. The best offenses always have wrinkles thrown in. Rams game was probably their best top to bottom. They looked almost unstoppable out of the gate. We all know what happened, but that night you could have Super dreams that seemed like they could become reality. 

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And no strip bars/VIP lounge bottle service, etc, etc.

They killed two birds with one stone here… in the right time zone and out of the party zone. 

Did anybody hear Hondo Carpenter, raiders reporter, on WGR earlier? Dude prefaced by saying he thinks the Bills are elite and the Raiders will struggle to make the playoffs, then spent 20 minutes ranting about how awesome and amazing the Raiders are, that their main flaw is that young (but awesome) players might make mistakes (that was as far as he could go in criticizing them when asked for weaknesses). It was outlandish. Not to say they can't be a good team and beat the Bills, but if we think OUR guys are homers, I was shocked at this guy hah

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I really can't bring myself to care about this game.  I expect to win, but won't be shocked if we lose.  Even if we win, it still won't answer solve any of the concerns I have about Josh and Dorsey because the Raiders aren't a team that would create the challenges those two can't seem to overcome.

I'm in a crap mental state and I'll own it.  I need Josh to prove he can take the easy stuff, and there aren't many teams that will make him do that.  Until those games happen, I just feel blah

You aren't alone in your feelings. 

You are spot on with regards to the Raiders. The Bills will likely win and Allen will likely play well. 

Most fans will be happy and satisfied with the win. That includes myself. Bills are the better team and especially at home. 

However, the big picture still is blurred and seemingly not addressed. Most won't look long term. 

In fairness, it's a one game at a time kind of mindset that most teams have. You can't look ahead and be unfocused. 

The Bills players and coaches have a lot to accomplish before they can represent the AFC. They have time to fix things and improve. 

Right now, let's just get a win! A loss might be devastating. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

This is random. I've never heard of a team doing this. 

Bills sort of did it in the past. They had two back to back west coast games and stayed on the west coast instead of traveling back.

Don't recall them leaving early for a west coast game though.

The track record of west coast teams traveling east and playing at 1pm is not in their favor.

Interesting because I thought Vegas was only two hours behind, whereas West Virginia is several decades behind....

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Funny you say that right after I read this article. It discusses defending Mahomes but applies to Allen as well.

The NFL is ever evolving. Now the style is big armed QBs and explosive fast WRs. So defenses will adjust and that that away. What's the next evolution? Teams have across the league gone to lighter, faster coverage LBers to help.  I think the answer to help Allen is to have a consistent reliable ground game to take advantage, make teams defend it and take advantage where they can through the air in spots. A guy like KC has with Pacheco. Not flashy but can take advantage of a light box and deal punishment. Scheme guys open underneath and get those valuable RAC yards.

"It's high risk, throwing the ball all the way down the field, maybe in double coverage or if it's 40 yards in the air," Steelers quarterback Mitch Trubisky said. "Rather, (you can) throw it five yards and let that guy run the rest of the way, so the run after catch has been a huge emphasis ...You see the really good teams who are scoring a lot of points. They're not necessarily always throwing it deep. They're throwing it underneath and letting the guy run the rest of the way."

This quote by Trubisky illustrates in my mind why a guy like Tua is lighting up scoreboards and stat boxes, while QBs like Allen and Herbert are hit and miss. Must be nice to have a coach that can be ahead of offensive trends.

yeah that works for them because they have yac guys. We don’t. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Hard when Josh sees the field about as well as Helen Keller…

leave it to MIDermmot to throw everybody under the bus except himself…

That last interception was perhaps largely on Gabe's piss poor route running.  Aikman and Buck were talking about it on the broadcast.  If Gabe gave even the slightest head juke to the inside Whitehead would have likely been delayed enough for a completion there.  Instead, he ran straight to a spot.

Either Diggs hasn't taken Gabe under his wing and taught him how to run routes or Gabe is a terrible learner.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Gabe Davis....tick tock...contract season is here. Step up or step out.

I think his replacement/upgrade is Kincaid - more of a big WR than an undersized TE at this stage of his career. I expect to see the Knox/Kincaid "two TE" alignment a lot more again next week, with a lot more balls going Kincaid's way than Davis's way. It's a matter of trust now.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think his replacement/upgrade is Kincaid - more of a big WR than an undersized TE at this stage of his career. I expect to see the Knox/Kincaid "two TE" alignment a lot more again next week, with a lot more balls going Kincaid's way than Davis's way. It's a matter of trust now.

On One Bills Live, Brown and Tasker were talking about the Bills being in 12 personnel versus the Jets 68% of the time.  That's because the Jets defense is weakest against that particular grouping.  They are the strongest versus 11 personnel.  It was actually a good game plan by Dorsey.  Josh just went off script, particularly in the second half.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

does JA not realize he has a habit, or has become, a QB that has played these games multiple times.  it's like a child who gets caught lying, I won't believe he cares or will put in the work to improve until it actually happens.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Pro football Reference advanced stats are in:

Notes:

Diggs caught 10 of 11 targets. Not ad advanced stat, just a good one. 

Kincaid was very impactful. PFR has a “success” rating, which gives a number out of 100 for yards gained vs down and distance. DK had a 100, meaning very good. 

Hardy and Cook did not do great on that success scale. 

Bernard was credited with 1 missed tackle. He was didn’t allow a reception (0-1), made 11 tackles, and had a QB hurry on his 1 blitz. 

Milano’s numbers were very similar (1-2, 7 yards and 1 missed tackle), plus a pick. 

Tre Day was targeted 3 times, gave up 2 catches for 1 yard and a TD. Did have 2 missed tackles (ouch)

Benford also 3 targets, 2 catches for 26 yards. Zero missed tackles. 

Hyde and Poyer were solid, maybe rusty. 

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

does JA not realize he has a habit, or has become, a QB that has played these games multiple times.  it's like a child who gets caught lying, I won't believe he cares or will put in the work to improve until it actually happens.  

You realize Josh isn’t going to sit here and answer questions at these pressers like the fans and media are the ultimate authority figures.

He owes none of us any explanations/apologies and gives us all ‘coach speak’ answers because it’s what he was taught to do. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Take the Jets there. The Cowboys might win 6-3.

People are going to be surprised when other teams are able to move the ball on the Jets. It’s in our heads or something. Other teams are going to score on them. We are giving the Jets defense way too much credit. We are just missing it when we play them. Or we are scared 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Bills at -9.5 are the biggest favorites this weekend. Second biggest are the Cowpokes at -9 over the Jets. 

Until we prove that we can get out of our own way, I am going to have a tough time taking us to win by double digits.  I think we will win, but I am not sure we find a way to cover that.

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

People are going to be surprised when other teams are able to move the ball on the Jets. It’s in our heads or something. Other teams are going to score on them. We are giving the Jets defense way too much credit. We are just missing it when we play them. Or we are scared 

We certainly played scared at the end of the first half.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.