Elam a healthy scratch tonight.

FireChans

I don’t get on Mcdermott much, but this one is agitating. Guy needs to play. Rotate or whatever but he needs to be out there. Hope this is just more of a message to correct whatever issue he may have. I don’t mind Benford beating him out and being more comfy in the zone. 
Maybe just me but I’d much rather see Elam out there pressing Wilson at the line than seeing Benford 9 yards back praying he don’t get beat over the top on 3rd and 6 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

He was the best CB in the playoffs last year. Not sure how he hasn’t proven himself. This is on the coach for not figuring out how to use his skills .

That’s fair, and I don’t believe that Benford and Jackson are that much better, if at all. It’s like he’s punished for not living up to his draft position. That’s not fully his fault, and you need to see what you’ve got with those picks. This is the one part of McD’s coaching style I don’t love .

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm betting this is drugs or alcohol. He is more talented than Benford or Jackson and he has played better. 

Has to be more to the story. 

I'm not ready to go that far... but it definitely seems like there is more than this than meets the eye. 

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Elam would benefit from a fresh start and if you asked him candidly I’m sure he’d welcome one. It stings even more when you consider we traded up for him.

What really stings is that on draft night, it seemed like Trent McDuffie was the guy they really wanted

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Thank God the Kincaid pick looks like it's going to be a slam dunk

If that ends up being the case and the 2 players on offense EVER drafted by Beane in the first round are Allen and Kincaid, we should all expect him to draft offense more often.   Not to mention, you've already got the franchise QB now, so it increases the likelihood of success for talented skill position players on offense.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t get on Mcdermott much, but this one is agitating. Guy needs to play. Rotate or whatever but he needs to be out there. Hope this is just more of a message to correct whatever issue he may have. I don’t mind Benford beating him out and being more comfy in the zone. 
Maybe just me but I’d much rather see Elam out there pressing Wilson at the line than seeing Benford 9 yards back praying he don’t get beat over the top on 3rd and 6 

I’m with you but Lewis can play S and CB and special teams. How did he go from his notebook and winning the interview to this. Hard to understand 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

That just isn't how the Bills are going to play defense. I get fans hate it because it isn't "aggressive" but it has been pretty successful for them and I don't think they are going to change it. I think they drafted Elam telling themselves they were more willing to use some press-man as a wrinkle in the scheme but then in reality they just are not comfortable playing that way. They want to be a bend don't break, keep it in front, limit the big play style of defense.

Just now, whorlnut said:

I see it the other way…I think it’s completely killed his confidence. I honestly feel bad for the kid. I can’t imagine the shame he must feel after being a first round pick. He should have been dealt and given a second chance on a team that fit his strengths. 

I don’t think we should give up on him because what the scouting dept. saw in him coming out is in there. He’s just not preparing well enough. At this level, talent does not guarantee playing time. Let’s hope Sean and the DB coaches can get it out of him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That just isn't how the Bills are going to play defense. I get fans hate it because it isn't "aggressive" but it has been pretty successful for them and I don't think they are going to change it. I think they drafted Elam telling themselves they were more willing to use some press-man as a wrinkle in the scheme but then in reality they just are not comfortable playing that way. They want to be a bend don't break, keep it in front, limit the big play style of defense.

Stupid, wasteful draft pick.

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:
4 minutes ago, MPL said:

What really stings is that on draft night, it seemed like Trent McDuffie was the guy they really wanted

He wasn't. He doesn't meet their physical profile for corners.

Well, then I guess this whole thing stings a little less. I'm feeling better already!

Just now, MPL said:

Well, then I guess this whole thing stings a little less. I'm feeling better already!

Ha it still stings that they drafted a guy who clearly wasn't a natural scheme fit for their scheme after trading up in round 1 and now won't put him on the field because he isn't a natural scheme fit for their scheme.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

T Woolen was a genetic freak, but thought to be a project. He went in the 5th round. Who knew he’d play like a first round corner his first year? It’s all a gamble. I’d rather Beane trade down than up. Should also mention I was against the Kincaid trade up, but that’s looking like a solid one. Most others - besides Josh Allen - we could’ve done without. 

Yeah I get the concept. I guess I was just hoping Mcdermott would change it up a little bit. I expected the scheme to stay the same. Just figured we’d continue seeing the rotation until elam either won the job or needed to be traded away. 

29 minutes ago, Ben said:

Man, was he really that bad? It seemed like he improved last year quite a bit didn't it?

It's so hard to judge cornerback play. The coaches obviously saw something that bothered them. This is a big division game and hugely important to set the tone for the rest of the season. It's very telling that McDermott doesn't want Elam suited up even as a backup. I'm not saying he should be traded, but this is concerning. I guess we'll see where he's at as the season moves forward.

Ha it still stings that they drafted a guy who clearly wasn't a natural scheme fit for their scheme after trading up in round 1 and now won't put him on the field because he isn't a natural scheme fit for their scheme.....

They thought wrongly they could coach him up, draft busts are littered with this same flaw, just not the head for it

14 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

Leodis Elam 

That's who I compared him to on draft day

Maybe they can still coach him into a well-rounded CB, but this is frustrating.

Still, is he really so bad that he's inactive? If a CB goes down with injury, it'd be nice to have Elam as depth.

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

T Woolen was a genetic freak, but thought to be a project. He went in the 5th round. Who knew he’d play like a first round corner his first year? It’s all a gamble. I’d rather Beane trade down than up. Should also mention I was against the Kincaid trade up, but that’s looking like a solid one. Most others - besides Josh Allen - we could’ve done without. 

This is the guy I wanted after we took hall in 1. But so many people blasted me cause we had to take a round one corner. Good stuff. 

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

I heard Beane is a wizard and McDermott knows corners so we weren't allowed to 2nd guess this draft pick

Well that’s why I thought it was best to take care of other positions and wait to take a corner in 3 or 4. Maybe 2. McD is the best at getting good play out of later round DBs. We didn’t need one in the first to get a good one. 

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What does Elam do for Sean to put him in the dog house?  Obviously he has some struggles, but he made a few massive plays last season.  

why not let him continue to develop?

I find it hard to justify Cam Lewis or Dodson being more valuable than Elam? 

I’m 1000000% sure it’s the tackling.

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Would he even have any value in a trade? 

Let me preface this by saying I do not endorse trading Elam. Just speaking on the question here.

He most certainly would have trade value. GMs pay close attention to everything. There are GMs that I'm sure had him highly rated and are a scheme fit that see a first rounder from last year a healthy scratch and rub their hands together. They may view it as getting a guy they liked in the late first/early second a year ago at a reduced rate. Putting Elam as a healthy scratch week 1 sends a strong message IMO. There's a good chance that some GM is planning on giving Beane a call first thing in the morning to gauge if Elam can be had and for what cost. What Beane does from there would depend IMO on if a team offers something that he views as better value than Elam would provide and inactive depth.

This is probably the weirdest draft pick situation in all my years being a Bills fan. He’s not even been a bad player. It just seems like others have been slightly better. Typically when it’s that close you give the edge to the 1st round pick.

Very strange.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.