Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree.  I get feeling that Pegula-land is in disarray and that a major organizational change is too much to handle right now.  Barring a total, locker room-losing collapse, McDermott will return next year to blow more close games.

Agreed, plus my perception is that the Pegulas are more into keeping the status quo barring some form of gross misconduct

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

To me, it's pretty simple. 

BIlls make the playoffs and McD will be back.

Bills go golfing and McD is gone with a possibility Beane follows him out the door.

I really doubt that Terry is going to buy the injury excuse given that we've lost so many close games. 

There simply isn't an injury excuse right now.  Our injuries seemed bad because we lost 3 top players at once, but at this point in the season, most teams have lost at least 2-3 key players.  And Beane addressed some of the losses by adding Douglas and Joseph, who are both playing really well, as is Bernard & the LB crew in general.

No excuse whatsoever.  Agree w/ your post - McD will be back if we make the playoffs, and I'd even argue he would deserve to be if he's able to navigate this gauntlet of games and really put a run together.  But if we miss, they have to make a change.  We can't keep losing years of JA's prime.

They can look to how it went by replacing Dorsey.  It's only 2 games, but that is a different offense that we're seeing now.

• Like (+1) 4

Cowherd and his sidekick are now floating that if the Belichek/New England marriage ends on contentious note, he would love the Bills job with a ready made QB that he gushes over.  That would be hilarious if McDermott then went to coach New England.  The circle of life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ok, so Florio says he believes if they miss the playoffs either McDermott or Beane or both are out. And he says it with such conviction.

This is the most solid proof yet that neither are going anywhere.  

Florio is a great example of a national reporter speculating about a situation with little context or insight.  We’ve seen this happen a lot with the Bills.  

He’s just guessing.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Florio is a great example of a national reporter speculating about a situation with little context or insight.  We’ve seen this happen a lot with the Bills.  

He’s just guessing.

He does mention that it's just his guess. The issues come when guys like him both give opinions based on what they think and claim to give information based on what he's hearing from insider information. It often gets twisted as everything he says is coming from a place of knowledge rather than opinion. 

2 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Listening to Joe Marino yesterday on WGR, he stated he believes that b/c the Pegulas have "too much on their plate", he's afraid McDermott will be retained unless there is an internal revolt led by the team leaders. He did not offer a caveat as to whether he'd move off that opinion should the Bills make the playoffs.

Terry should have started the process of divesting himself of the Sabres a couple years ago.  The team has done nothing in his tenure and the arena is in need of some massive and expensive upgrades. 

I think there's a good chance that if the team misses the playoffs, McDermott is gone.  Unless Beane insists on following McD out the door, I think BB gets retained at GM.  That would be more important for behind the scenes continuity.  Beane may hit and miss on some players (like they all do)... but he is a very smart GM and knows the NFL landscape as well as anyone out there.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Cowherd and his sidekick are now floating that if the Belichek/New England marriage ends on contentious note, he would love the Bills job with a ready made QB that he gushes over.  That would be hilarious if McDermott then went to coach New England.  The circle of life. 

Cowherd has been saying for years that "teams can't win with a defensive head coach," and then advocates for Belichick. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Great, Scotty Bowman Part II. No thank you please. 

34 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That would be worth it just to hear Sal gushing over Belichick on the radio.

11 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Cowherd has been saying for years that "teams can't win with a defensive head coach," and then advocates for Belichick. 

In Bill's case you make an exception given his record with an elite QB. Plus, it would be nice to have a defense that can make stops and close games out when they have the lead late in the game.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Success said:

There simply isn't an injury excuse right now.  Our injuries seemed bad because we lost 3 top players at once, but at this point in the season, most teams have lost at least 2-3 key players.  And Beane addressed some of the losses by adding Douglas and Joseph, who are both playing really well, as is Bernard & the LB crew in general.

No excuse whatsoever.  Agree w/ your post - McD will be back if we make the playoffs, and I'd even argue he would deserve to be if he's able to navigate this gauntlet of games and really put a run together.  But if we miss, they have to make a change.  We can't keep losing years of JA's prime.

They can look to how it went by replacing Dorsey.  It's only 2 games, but that is a different offense that we're seeing now.

There is one BIG factor that might save McD if we finish strong but still miss the playoffs.  Dorsey.

Averaging 20.5 points per game, never scoring over 25, during the easiest 6 game stretch of the season sunk this team.  The defense played well enough for us to have won enough games to be the #1 seed right now, but the offense just couldn't score enough points.  And the defense is the side missing top level players, offense has been healthy all year at all key positions for the most part.  

Brady coming out and showing what a difference removing Dorsey was could give McD some cushioning if we say go 4-1 down the stretch and miss the playoffs.  Obviously if we keep losing more games, I don't think anything can save McD.  And I agree, if we go 5-0 (6-1 since Dorsey was fired) to end the season, playoffs or no playoffs McD is probably safe.  

Im not saying what I think should happen...just what I think will happen.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Not only lost close but blown leads in the 2nd half and late in the 4th quarter. Imagine if the Giants pulled out the win or Tampa Bay got the hail mary at the end. We could have been looking at 4-8 instead of 6-6.

It's crazy to think the 6 - 6 Bills could be 4 - 8, like you said, or they could be as good as 10 - 2.  Eagles, Broncos, Pats, and Jets.  Bengals and Jags were close games but Bills didn't lead those games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gregg said:

To me the Giants game was the biggest red flag. Even though they won the game, changes still should have been made. The Giants are horrible and came into that game all banged up with a ton of injuries. To barely win 14-9 should have the "enough is enough" moment.

Think about it. The Bills offense was super good most of last season and QB Josh Allen did endorse Dorsey for the OC job. While I agree that things could be much worse with losses to both the Giants and Bucs as both could have ended with defensive penalties on Buffalo. 

I think that the Denver game was the last straw and McD needed to be careful that he didn't alienate his QB.

Buffalo seems to be reeling at times due to player mistakes more than anything else right now.  One missed pass play could have changed most opinions, If Gabe Davis runs the correct route and catches that TD the Bills are 7-5. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Think about it. The Bills offense was super good most of last season and QB Josh Allen did endorse Dorsey for the OC job. While I agree that things could be much worse with losses to both the Giants and Bucs as both could have ended with defensive penalties on Buffalo. 

I think that the Denver game was the last straw and McD needed to be careful that he didn't alienate his QB.

Buffalo seems to be reeling at times due to player mistakes more than anything else right now.  One missed pass play could have changed most opinions, If Gabe Davis runs the correct route and catches that TD the Bills are 7-5. 

Most NFL games come down to one play or so that ended up determining the game. If flip flopped the game would be opposite.

But i can’t get over the 0-6 OT thing, it’s more than unlucky… and i definitely can’t get past the 12-men Denver loss.  Should have been fired right then.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

Most NFL games come down to one play or so that ended up determining the game. If flip flopped the game would be opposite.

But i can’t get over the 0-6 OT thing, it’s more than unlucky… and i definitely can’t get past the 12-men Denver loss.  Should have been fired right then.

McD stated that they practiced that play 3x that week and the 12 guy out there was Leonard Floyd...

The thing is, shouldn't have somebody on special teams been counting the players on the field...you know... like they do every stinking special teams play. So, my thoughts are the special teams coach is mostly at fault here.  Yes, the buck stops with the HC. Just like it did with the offense before he fired the OC. 

Is firing McD going to end all the bad luck this franchise endures? OR, will it send it into a downward spiral like so many teams do when they fire a good HC and attempt to find a top replacement. 

Have someone in mind?

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Is firing McD going to end all the bad luck this franchise endures? OR, will it send it into a downward spiral like so many teams do when they fire a good HC and attempt to find a top replacement. 

Have someone in mind?

If the Bills average 30+ pts per game over the last 7 games,  I would name Joe Brady the head coach....for several reasons that I've outlined in other posts.  

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He’s just guessing.

What a job. You get paid a boatload for to speculate without evidence, repeat the latest narrative, and indulge in your biases. 

This question might be worth its own thread: Which talking heads do know what they're talking about and are worth listening to? Greg Cosell and Chris Simms come to mind. Kurt Warner, Dan Orlovsky, Tony Romo, Desmond Ritter, the guy who pours himself a Scotch during his analysis.  Anyone else?

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

McD stated that they practiced that play 3x that week and the 12 guy out there was Leonard Floyd...

The thing is, shouldn't have somebody on special teams been counting the players on the field...you know... like they do every stinking special teams play. So, my thoughts are the special teams coach is mostly at fault here.  Yes, the buck stops with the HC. Just like it did with the offense before he fired the OC. 

Have someone in mind?

Practiced 3x and still got it wrong?  Inexcusable 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This is actually getting absurd. Among much more, Brooks says he has a hard time envisioning us making the playoffs.

So many problems he mentions here as his premise are, in my opinion, baseless.

That Bengals loss seems to have done a real number on everyone not named Kyle Brandt or Peter King.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-less-packers-have-sleeper-potential-in-nfc-while-bills-look-like-p

Basically everything he said was true and now you have to question Beane for not seeing this.  Yes the offence struggled all last season and Beane expected it to improve by signing scrubs for WR help?  Keep in mind they were so desperate last year that the Bills brought back both Brown and Beasely to finish the year.  On the defensive side , yes Miller relies on speed/bending around tackles and that is not happening with that knee.

End of the day had Beane improved the offence by signing Hopkins and not continue to talk up Gabe Davis as a true #2 WR then the offence improves from last season and Bills win a couple of those games from the Denver/Jets and Pats losses. The defence has always sucked and just put up stats against trash QB'S. The Bills success the past 3-4 years has always been just running up the score and being up 3-4 TD'S in the 4th quarter that you  never had to worry about last drive comebacks. Like how many times have Davis and Allen not been on the same page and it cost us, Davis is a terrible route runner and is at best a #3 WR in this league. 

For me Pegula has to insist with Beane and McDermott that they focus this offseason and improving the offence and resources are directed to that side of the ball. We have enough young guys on defence to be ok and that is all you need in this league if you have a lights out offence. Draft or sign a big DT so teams cannot run the ball and kill clock and just go out there and score. They lost Sunday because they took their time scoring on that last drive when they should have been going 2 min offence so you leave yourself time for one more possession. Did the same thing in other late game losses

On 9/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Simon said:

Since we don't need a new thread every time some needy knucklehead says something to draw attention to themselves, I'm just creating this thread to have a place to drop them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Thoughts on the very slim possibility that Belichick comes to Buffalo?

I would be open to it.   

Would he retain Dorsey? Who knows. The way things have gone so far, I'd prefer he did. 

If not, and Daboll is fired, he could come back here as OC. He was under Belichick previously (as OL Coach I think?)

Say what you want about Bill.....but with his preparation and an elite QB, he's scary. 

My concern would be if the GM duties aspect for him, which he seemingly hasn't been good with. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's gross, but like I said before it'd probably work.

Reasons I'd see Bills over Jets, Rogers is an even more opinionated Brady to Belichick not to mention about to retire himself, and one thing we do know is Belichick loves Josh went into the Lockeroom to congratulate him after the playoff win.

Next reason, ownership between the Pegulas and that Jets ownership that's not a hard choice at all.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

FWIW, Dan Orlovsky who has been very vocal supporting Allen on ESPN was also on Pat MacAfee show saying he's heard Belichick already has his new team picked out. He wouldn't reveal who he heard 

If that's the case you'd think it was the Chargers Staley has the aura of a dead man walking, as much as we might have come to feel like McDermott might not be the guy to get it done at this point, it can be tough for an organization to move on from a guy that has been getting you to the playoffs, playoff wins and good records for the past seasons.

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Thoughts on the very slim possibility that Belichick comes to Buffalo?

I would be open to it.   

Would he retain Dorsey? Who knows. The way things have gone so far, I'd prefer he did. 

If not, and Daboll is fired, he could come back here as OC. He was under Belichick previously (as OL Coach I think?)

Say what you want about Bill.....but with his preparation and an elite QB, he's scary. 

My concern would be if the GM duties aspect for him, which he seemingly hasn't been good with. 

His defense still good. 

But post Brady era offense has been not good. Wouldn't want  Josh McDaniels  or Bill O'Brien doing offense. That's the downside.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

His defense still good. 

But post Brady era offense has been not good. Wouldn't want  Josh McDaniels  or Bill O'Brien doing offense. That's the downside.

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

FWIW, Dan Orlovsky who has been very vocal supporting Allen on ESPN was also on Pat MacAfee show saying he's heard Belichick already has his new team picked out. He wouldn't reveal who he heard 

My guess is the Chargers or Commanders.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

His defense still good. 

Considering his draft this year they damn well better be, made no sense to me that offense was awful last year and that draft didn't do ***** to fix it.

• Agree 1

So what I'm reading here is the local media folks who have some real internal connections to the front office folks for the  team are saying McD will be back, but he national media who lack that, plus all the arm chair GM posters here who want him gone all say he'll be gone.  Think I got that right.

3 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Dorsey was fired a few weeks ago. He’d bring in his own guys, probably mcdaniels…

He’s toast. Everyone knows it. The athletic article is BS at its finest. Only way McD can save his job is superbowl.  

Frank Reich as an OC would be straight out of the McD playbook and a desperate move to try and save his job to play to the Mafia. I'd be pissed.

5 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

He’s toast. Everyone knows it. The athletic article is BS at its finest. Only way McD can save his job is superbowl.  

I’d be shocked if we end up getting to at least the Divisional Round and he’s still fired after that.

Contextually; rattling off 6 straight wins down the stretch would probably be enouhh to save his job.

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

I believe the decision is already made regardless of what happens. You can’t go into our new stadium in cap hell with a lame duck coach. It’s not going to happen. They need to maximize their team before they maximize their profits. It’s all business, he’s out. 

The new stadium doesn't open until 2026. 

• Like (+1) 1