Bernard, Torrence and Benford all officially starters

Process

Bernard was expected, and I will be rooting for him to rise to the challenge, but I have a feeling it will be short lived and Kirksey will take over in the next few weeks.  

Seemed like Dane was leading for CB2 most of camp and preseason, so the late push by Benford was a bit of a surprise and considering Dane had a great camp, that is encouraging that Benford did enough to still over take him.  I still think Elam gets mixed in when they are going man/press type coverages or need more speed on the field, but what a story for Benford to be a late pick and over take a quality vet and a first round pick.  

O'Cyrus was a no brainer, he looked the part all camp and preseason.  Really looking forward to seeing him in action and he is going to get thrown into the fire out the gate with his Jets front line.  

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 13

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Bernard was expected, and I will be rooting for him to rise to the challenge, but I have a feeling it will be short lived and Kirksey will take over in the next few weeks.  

Why was Bernard expected?  Was Dodson so bad that anyone who was healthy would get the start ahead of him?  Did I miss an announcement?   Or was it just your expectation?

I thought the position was still an open competition.

And, I agree, I think Kirksey will play as soon as he is healthy and has learned the job.

• Like (+1) 2

Three different levels of excitement for these announcements.

1 Torrence. Ecstatic. This was a guy I wanted Beane to draft. He's here and ready to see what he can do against a tough front 7. (Pssst...this is McD starting a rookie)

2. Benford. I like it. I like a good longshot story and for as much as Elam didn't take the CB2 job...Benford did. Rooting for the guy.

3. Bernard. Fear of the unknown. If you said last year he would be our game 1 MLB I would have been really skeptical. I do wish we could have seen him in some preseason action to get an idea of what we will get. But really, I view this as last man standing from a horrible MLB competition that is keep in Kirksey's eventual spot warm until he's full speed.

• Like (+1) 9

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Why was Bernard expected?  Was Dodson so bad that anyone who was healthy would get the start ahead of him?  Did I miss an announcement?   Or was it just your expectation?

And, I agree, I think Kirksey will play as soon as he is healthy and has learned the job.

Agree, the other two yes. But I was not expecting Bernard to start, especially considering time missed due to injury.

A positive development. I'd like to see what he's got so we know if we have something there for the future.

Bernard is terrible. He's undersized and for being so you would expect him to be super athletic which he's not. If he would have played in the preseason we would have all seen that. I definitely don't like the idea of them experimenting with him in a live game. This is going to be bad. Hopefully Kirksey will be available but I doubt it 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I meant expected since the last preseason game as Dodson played himself out of it IMHO.

• Agree 1

Bernard is scary without seeing him all preseason, that is not a good sign to me.  That position is going to be an adventure.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if AJ Klein takes over for a Bernard by the 2nd Qtr of that  jets game. 

The guy not on the roster or practice squad?

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Uhhhhh I have some bad news for you lol

Back injury

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Bernard is scary without seeing him all preseason, that is not a good sign to me.  That position is going to be an adventure.

The guy not on the roster or practice squad?

Just now, Limeaid said:

AJ Klein is a free agent - he was cut and a shame since kept the DoDodson.

oh whoops. I thought we already signed Klein back. I figured he was coming back after cut-down day, but maybe with Kirksey, they decided to wait and see on Klein. 

Benford is looking like the Kyle Williams to Kaiir Elam's John McCargo.

It stinks to miss on a first round pick -- and make no mistake, failing to seize the CB2 job in his second season and being passed on the depth chart by a 7th rounder and a 6th rounder indicates that the Bills missed on the Elam pick -- but hitting on a late round guy at the same position takes the sting out a little bit. 

Now lets hope that Benford goes on to have as good a career for the Bills as Kyle Williams did!

For what it's worth, I've really liked what I've seen from Benford every time he's healthy and on the field. You can sort of FEEL his presence out there. He's a physical, intense, hard hitting guy, and he seems to be one of those "always where he's supposed to be, natural zone instincts, sound tackler" types that this coaching staff loves. I think he's a better, stronger version of Levi Wallace.

Excited for the youngsters to show what they've got. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Not running three safeties if Hyde isn't available. 

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why isn't Hyde available?

Bills' Micah Hyde: Dealing with new injury

Rotowire  38 MINS AGO

Hyde (back) will not practice Wednesday, Katherine Fitzgerald of The Buffalo News reports. Hyde's injury is something that popped up in the last couple of days, according to head coach Sean McDermott. With the Bills not taking the field until Monday against the Jets, the veteran safety will have an extra day to recover and prepare to play if he's healthy enough. However, if he is unable to suit up, that could leave Damar Hamlin in a position to get the start in his return to the field.

Ari Meirov

@MySportsUpdate

#Bills safety Micah Hyde is dealing with a back injury that recently popped up and he won't practice today. HC Sean McDermott says they're taking it a day at a time.

Hyde had a back injury 

Edited by Limeaid

30 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bernard is terrible. He's undersized and for being so you would expect him to be super athletic which he's not. If he would have played in the preseason we would have all seen that. I definitely don't like the idea of them experimenting with him in a live game. This is going to be bad. Hopefully Kirksey will be available but I doubt it 

Bernard is not undersized. He's bigger than Milano and slightly lighter than Roquan Smith. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

https://x.com/chrisbrownbills/status/1699453423643418862?s=46&t=tTOAq-q5QQ5yQ1o1mKnDgA

McDermott: Terrel Bernard is our starting MLB. We’re excited about what he brings to the position and he’ll take it one play at a time. #Bills

so..:..play 2 Kirksey?!

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Benford is a minor surprise I thought Dane would have been CB2 but the depth at CB is insane. Torrence is not a shock, he has been plug and play since day one. Benford is interesting. Third round pick really didn't do much in 2022 but hopefully, he can show up and show out.

Benford looked like a stud before his arm injury in 2022

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Excited about Torrence and the upgrade he can provide.

I haven’t seen much from Bernard that tells me he’s going to be good.

Bernard's family sits right next to us.  I hope he pans out or it's going to be uncomfortable as heck.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I meant expected since the last preseason game as Dodson played himself out of it IMHO.

Ah.  Thanks.   McDermott apparently said the obligatory nice things about Bernard.  "He's our #1, we're excited, etc."  Maybe it's true, or maybe it's true only until Kirksey can plan. 

Excited to see what the young guys can do. Thrilled about Torrence. Don’t know why they don’t just play Elam (he’s looked good in all the games he’s been counted on) but excited for Benford. Great depth at CB. Really hoping Bernard can take the step up this year. Dodson was awful in the preseason. I believe people around draft time were praising Bernard’s instincts so here’s hoping!

If it starts to go sideways, I hope McD learned from the Peterman situation and gets him out of there for Kirksey. Give him some time for sure, but don’t let your like for the player and his college coach cloud your judgement.  

• Like (+1) 3

Anyone else of the opinion that perhaps Benford was just severely overlooked and under-drafted coming from a school like Villanova?  I'm more impressed with Benford than I am disappointed in Elam.  I still think Elam is going to play a bunch this year.

Best news is that Dodson is on the bench.  That dude sucks.

Finally some interior OL depth also, with Bates and Edwards.

I just hope Bernard doesn't shite himself Monday night.  Kirksey needs to get ready fast.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Bernard is not undersized. He's bigger than Milano and slightly lighter than Roquan Smith. 

The last time we saw Bernard playing a ton of ball was his last season with Baylor, and against a talented Ole Miss team in the Sugar Bowl. He finished with 20 tackles in that game and was the defensive MVP. 

He's got just enough size, and in his pro day ran a 4.59 40 and 4.25 shuttle and a 123" broad jump. Basically one of the better athletes on the roster. 

I know he looked lost in very limited snaps last season, but he's only entering his 2nd season. 

Beane/McDermott both hinted at getting away from the zone heavy look they used with the Predator stalking the middle of the field, and going to more man zone combos with the backers. If Bernard had the game slow down for him this camp and off season, people are going to like what they have with him

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I’m so excited for Torrence, I think he’s going to make a big difference out there even against the Jets’ very good defensive line.

Pleased with Benford though I hope Elam gets out there too.

Indifferent on Bernard. If coach thinks he’s ready, fine. 

41 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's exactly how I feel. Fans here want to be optimistic and lie to themselves. Bernard is a disaster in the making. That's a WTF move...

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

You have not seen him play, but know he sucks.  Got it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.