Kelce’s plea for Chris Jones to end his holdout

BillsFan619

Man, I hope he holds out until week 8. Go Bills!

"’Chris, can you please come back?’ Kelce said on the ‘New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce’ podcast, which he appears on regularly with his brother, who plays for the Philadelphia Eagles. ‘You're really scaring me, man. I don't get it. You must know something that I don't know because I just don't get it. I really want to get another Super Bowl ring with you, brother. This is me bargaining you to just come back and play football for the Chiefs. Please, we need you. We need you bad, and I don't know what the situation is.’”

Link -https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38306759/travis-kelce-raises-concern-chris-jones-holdout-nears-week-1

@Zerovoltz, as a Chiefs fan, how do you think this holdout could affect the team?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Wow! Talk about over stepping.  Players usually stay out of their teammates contract issues. If I was Jones, I’d be pissed. He does not get millions of dollars in endorsement money like Kelce does, so Kelce should mind his own business.  

(that being said, anything to weaken the Chiefs, makes me happy). 

• Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Wow! Talk about over stepping.  Players usually stay out of their teammates contract issues. If I was Jones, I’d be pissed. He does not get millions of dollars in endorsement money like Kelce does, so Kelce should mind his own business.  

Yeah, seems a little messed up if that's really how it went down. 

Despite all of that, the Chiefs have won because of their offense, not their defense, which was only average or so last season, and only somewhat better than average in 2019.  IMO they're done for a while.  Their WR core is questionable on a good day.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Agreed.

Kelce should absolutely be staying out of this.  

Side note:  F the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, PBF81 said:

Despite all of that, the Chiefs have won because of their offense, not their defense, which was only average or so last season, and only somewhat better than average in 2019.  IMO they're done for a while.  Their WR core is questionable on a good day.  

that's gonna trigger some ppl

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

like the misleading directv commercial? 

23 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yep.

The chiefs have coasted on any attention over this.  Reid always gets away without all the attention and he has had zero standards for his players through the years and always has coached classless teams.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He knows they're not winning another SB without him. And Kelce isn't exactly getting any younger. It will be an interesting year for the chefs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe if Mahomes brought Jones into playing the Match not Kelsey, or if the team had Mahomes and Jones prance around with Lombardi like idiots at the draft not Mahomes and Kelsey this would not have happened. Seems the team leadership has left Jones out in the cold in terms of building up his profile, and now they are paying the price.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Speaking of Kelce, looking at some of these recent TE deals (i.e. TJ Hockenson) I'd be thinking of holding out myself for a new deal but goes to show how important building a dynasty is for certain players vs others.

Oh stop.  Fans care about dynasties.  Players want to win and get paid. It's the teams responsibility to choose who to pay and who not to pay to fit under the cap.

Every player wants to get paid what they are worth and so do their agents. Even when Brady took slightly less he was always paid in the top 5. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Oh stop.  Fans care about dynasties.  Players want to win and get paid. It's the teams responsibility to choose who to pay and who not to pay to fit under the cap.

Every player wants to get paid what they are worth and so do their agents. Even when Brady took slightly less he was always paid in the top 5. 

That's my point, guys like Kelce and Mahomes obviously are putting winning and building a dynasty first and Chris Jones is not.

Bills mafia can only dream of having these type of problems that KC is dealing with right now and that the Patriots navigating the great part of 20 years.

• Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

That's my point, guys like Kelce and Mahomes obviously are putting winning and building a dynasty first and Chris Jones is not.

Bills mafia can only dream of having these type of problems that KC is dealing with right now and that the Patriots navigating the great part of 20 years.

He's helped the team win two Super Bowls, he has a limited time to get paid, pay the man.

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Kelce is sitting at 6th highest behind Njoku, Knox, goedert, kmet and engram.  Talk about a cast of meh

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Mahommes was highest paid QB in the league when he signed his extension. 

Kelce's contract was signed in 2020 and he got a raise in 2022.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Chiefs #1 receiver is still on the team - poking publicly into his teammate's business. 

Other than that, the Chiefs are kind of where the Bills were last season, expecting Kadarius Toney and/or Skyy Moore to take a step, like the Bills were expecting Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie to take a step.  They have Rashee Rice (drafted in the 2nd round, noted for inconsistent route running and physicality) instead of5th rounder Khalil Shakir, and Justin Watson as their Sherfield-ish type. 

Veach apparently feels that as long as Kelce is on the field and he throws some WR "lemons" in the hopper, the assistant coaches will train them up on how to run their routes and get to the right place and Mahomes will make delicious, flavorful iced lemonade with them.  It worked last year, kinda, and MVS is still on the team.

The interesting wrinkle is that the Chiefs long-term WR coach, Joe Blaymaier, took on the title/role "passing game coordinator" and they promoted one of their offensive assistants to WR coach.  Time will tell if that has an impact.

It kind of comes down to "do you think Skyy Moore or Kadarius Toney will step up and contribute at least as much as Juju Smith-Schuster?", which was 78 receptions, 933 yds last season.

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

::checks KC roster::

Yep, Pat Mahomes is still their QB1.  Hmmmmm…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This.  You don't know what's going on?  Seems simple to me.  Chris Jones is 26 and in the last year of his contract.   He wants to get paid.

"You must know something that I don't know" "I don't know what's going on", seems pretty simple to me.

Guy wants to be paid like Q or Jeffrey Simmons or at least Daron Payne.  Guy doesn't want to go into the season knowing he is one slit-film-turf snag away from sitting on a sofa next season with nothing.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is such an idiotic statement-why is it the player’s responsibility to manage the cap? So any time a guy asks for more money he isn’t about the team? This is a BUSINESS! The teams don’t have loyalty to the players, but the players shouldn’t get paid what they’re worth?

Such a terrible, awful take 

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is such an idiotic statement-why is it the player’s responsibility to manage the cap? So any time a guy asks for more money he isn’t about the team? This is a BUSINESS! The teams don’t have loyalty to the players, but the players shouldn’t get paid what they’re worth?

Such a terrible, awful take 

On the one hand, Chris Jones is under contract this year, so honor the contract is a thing.

On the other hand, IIRC Kelce signed a 4 year contract in 2020 and was given more money in 2022 then extended thru 2025.

So it just may be a little hippo critical of him to poke into Jones business

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

On the one hand, Chris Jones is under contract this year, so honor the contract is a thing.

On the other hand, IIRC Kelce signed a 4 year contract in 2020 and was given more money in 2022 then extended thru 2025.

So it just may be a little hippo critical of him to poke into Jones business

So my only problem when people say “players need to honor their contract” is that teams don’t honor the contracts either as soon as it doesn’t benefit them any more 

6 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Man, I hope he holds out until week 8. Go Bills!

"’Chris, can you please come back?’ Kelce said on the ‘New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce’ podcast, which he appears on regularly with his brother, who plays for the Philadelphia Eagles. ‘You're really scaring me, man. I don't get it. You must know something that I don't know because I just don't get it. I really want to get another Super Bowl ring with you, brother. This is me bargaining you to just come back and play football for the Chiefs. Please, we need you. We need you bad, and I don't know what the situation is.’”

Link -https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38306759/travis-kelce-raises-concern-chris-jones-holdout-nears-week-1

@Zerovoltz, as a Chiefs fan, how do you think this holdout could affect the team?

This was on the Kelce brothers podcast,  and was in a very joking manner. Travis was "begging" Jones to come back,  but in the end says "Get what you can get,  you deserve it. " Jason kind of prompted him.

He isn't getting into the middle of anything 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.