Why not give Milano the “dot” and let him make the defensive calls?

Desert Bills Fan

We have heard all preseason about the MLB having to be up to speed enough to make the calls. And with Kirksey signing , onto the PS “till he learns enough to make the calls in the middle”. 
Milano is smart & experienced enough to make the calls, right?

Is there a reason why the caller has to be the MLB? Maybe his location, so all the others can hear him better? Or his vision of the offense alignment, or QB ?

just doesn’t make much sense to me, that the least familiar guy (with scheme & personnel) has to make the calls….

I am hoping some of defensive guru’s on here could enlighten me.🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

We have heard all preseason about the MLB having to be up to speed enough to make the calls. And with Kirksey signing , onto the PS “till he learns enough to make the calls in the middle”. 

Is there a reason why the caller has to be the MLB? Maybe his location, so all the others can hear him better? Or his vision of the offense alignment, or QB ?

just doesn’t make much sense to me, that the least familiar guy (with scheme & personnel) has to make the calls….

Dont "Peter Principle" Milano. Just let him keep doing his thing.

• Agree 2

To my understanding it is highly preferable to make the calls from the middle of the field.  MLB or ILB is ideal, but I have also seen it with a safety, although this requires that that safety often has a good distance to move before the snap.  

Milano is a rather introverted player on the field and plays with instinct and reactionary right brain, feel type keys.

If you listen to the guys on the inside, they say he wouldn’t be good in this role and it would ALSO take away from his style of play. If he started thinking about who is doing what, he would slow down too much and lost his edge 👍

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I also believe that Poyer or Hyde could handle this.

I can't imagine Milano couldn't handle it, or that it would take away from his play.  He knows the defensive plays and alignments, he would just need to communicate them.  If not him, give the Dot to Poyer or Hyde and let them communicate, then just put the best LB next to Milano.  Enough with trying to find a player who may not play as well but who can communicate.  

17 hours ago, ajmac said:

Milano is a rather introverted player on the field and plays with instinct and reactionary right brain, feel type keys.

If you listen to the guys on the inside, they say he wouldn’t be good in this role and it would ALSO take away from his style of play. If he started thinking about who is doing what, he would slow down too much and lost his edge 👍

Milano is a special player.  You can toss a partial deck of cards up in the air and Milano can tell you how many cards are still in your hand and which cards they are a nano second after the last card hits the ground.  He can recite pi out to 365,783 decimals without breaking a sweat.  But if you ask him to go into a Starbucks and order a latte he pisses himself.  Not everybody is meant to be a vocal leader.

• Haha (+1) 7

19 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Being heard better in the middle sounds too simple, but it's not, it's key. That's most of the reason it's the MLB or occasionally a safety who plays in the middle and close on a huge majority of teams.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Milano is a special player.  You can toss a partial deck of cards up in the air and Milano can tell you how many cards are still in your hand and which cards they are a nano second after the last card hits the ground.  He can recite pi out to 365,783 decimals without breaking a sweat.  But if you ask him to go into a Starbucks and order a latte he pisses himself.  Not everybody is meant to be a vocal leader.

That only happened once

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

My guess is that it’ll take away from his playmaking ability.  He’ll have more to think about, process and communicate.  If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.  

but it is broke and we have to fix it- at least with regards to who is going to call plays. 

beyomd Milano, even a poyer or Hyde could contribute as guys that are experienced, don’t come off the field and read the whole offense anyway. 

MLB would be ideal but suddenly we may be cycling through several at varying levels of nfl and bills playbook experience. 

I think it’s at least a fair an interesting question in the offseason

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

but it is broke and we have to fix it- at least with regards to who is going to call plays. 

beyomd Milano, even a poyer or Hyde could contribute as guys that are experienced, don’t come off the field and read the whole offense anyway. 

MLB would be ideal but suddenly we may be cycling through several at varying levels of nfl and bills playbook experience. 

More than once I saw Poyer tap Edmunds on the shoulder and point to something he was missing.

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Milanos role is what I’m talking about.  It’s not broke.  We can take him out of that role and hope that he can play a different role.  Could work.  That could also leave us with 2 LB positions that are broke and worse off

42 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If I am not mistaken, he is Italian. So there is that.

They tried letting him make the calls in practice but he just kept yelling "gabagool", "pro-ZHUUTE", and "MOOZ-arelllll".  The rest of the time he tried to communicate the play call with a series of wildly emphatic hand gestures.  In response to his teammates confusion and frustration he said "eyyy, fuughetaboudit!!"

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

They tried letting him make the calls in practice but he just kept yelling "gabagool", "pro-ZHUUTE", and "MOOZ-arelllll".  The rest of the time he tried to communicate the play call with a series of wildly emphatic hand gestures.  In response to his teammates confusion and frustration he said "eyyy, fuughetaboudit!!"

He may have yelled "YO GABBA GABBA" a couple times as well!

22 hours ago, NewEra said:

My guess is that it’ll take away from his playmaking ability.  He’ll have more to think about, process and communicate.  If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.  

I've heard through the grapevine that that's exactly what it is

he just wants to focus on his job and playing not communicate the play to the defense and all it entails 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Let Milano do his thing. The DOT belongs to the MLB . I think Kirksey will be perfect. 

A few safeties have actually worn it 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

From what little i have heard mostly from Browny on 1 Bills Live is that he feels if Millano has to think to much prior to the lay that he won't be as apt to play as fast because he now relies on his instincts mostly & that having t decipher the opponents defenses would distract him .

I like you think he is plenty smart enough & knows much more how this defense works because he's been playing it so long & knows the players that surround him & knows their game intimately so who better to have the dot but i'm only a fan they should know better .

22 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

The player that wears the greet dot (aka the headset) doesn't make the calls, he simply relays them from the coach to the rest of the defense. You want two things out of this player:

1) Has to be on the field for 99+% snaps (a LB that subs out in nickel/dime packages isn't optimal)

2) Has to be in a position where the defense can hear him (a DT or CB playing off the ball isn't effective)

Typically MLBs fit these requirements and that's why Edmunds wore the dot in past years. I think I saw 5 or 6 teams put the dot on safeties last year so it isn't something that is set in stone for MLBs. Kirksey wore the dot in the past for the Texans, but they starting subbing him out on passing downs and gave the dot to Zach Cunningham because he was always on the field.

Years ago I used to try to explain this to people who were amazed that Kiko Alonso was calling defense plays as a rookie. lol he got the dot because he was the only every-down LB on that team that didn't come off the field.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, NewEra said:

Exactly this.

Matt Milano is an All Pro Outside Linebacker playing the game the way he's been playing it. Why would we mess with that and ask him to do anything but play the way that made him an All Pro?

It's insane to me that people want to mess with Matt Milano because they think the guy behind him in Dorian Williams might be better than the guy alongside him or in this new case, Christian Kirksey.

Kirksey has to learn the playbook and the calls being called to him regardless of whether he's calling them or receiving them. It's going to take time.

People are going to need to learn patience. McDermott doesn't rush new players into the lineup. It just is what it is.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.