Nick Bosa Trade Rumor (Unnamed AFC Team)

SCBills

9 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

So the Jets line is really as bad as people say? 

Their league-oldest LT by like 3 years just practiced for the first time. Their RT has barely played in two years on a bum knee. They've got one good guard who is young, and nobodies for the rest.

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets could probably get it done..

They could backload his contract to start hitting after Rodgers steps away, and they could send some picks and one of their pass rushers who Bosa would replace. 

I mean, if the 49ers asked for Will McDonald or Jermaine Johnson and some picks, would they really say no?  

31 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

So the Jets line is really as bad as people say? 

Honestly its not good right now. AVT coming back from a season ending injury, Becton is finally back after a couple of years injured, Duane Brown is protecting Rodgers blind side and that scares me. That is our only weakness on the team and its the most important IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have often wondered what would happen if a top end franchise QB did that. Just said "$25m per, fully guaranteed will do me, no build a team around me."

I have to think the NFLPA would freak. But not sure there is much that could be done.

Brady sorta' did that.    The numbers were lower but the cap % was still significant.

Just depends on the owner.   Not sure I would trust Mike Brown to put the money back into the talent.   

And $25M gets them back 1 star player.   

The Bengals did get Logan Wilson back on a great contract though.    

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Brady sorta' did that.    The numbers were lower but the cap % was still significant.

Just depends on the owner.   Not sure I would trust Mike Brown to put the money back into the talent.   

And $25M gets them back 1 star player.   

The Bengals did get Logan Wilson back on a great contract though.    

Yea Brady never reset the market or anything but he was never way below market compared to say Manning, Brees etc in the same period. 

But in this market Burrow taking $25m would be like him playing at half price. That would be a first for a top end QB.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Every team would be in on Bosa.  Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the Chiefs.  Especially if Jones is gonna sit out.  

Chiefs need to keep money for Jones as long as he can start playing anytime he decides he does not want to keep losing money.

Love rule they made that players fines cannot be waived.

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

If they are "threatening" a trade my $ is on a bad team with cap space.

Yeah but he's worth a lot more in trade if they send him somewhere he wants to go that will give him the contract he wants.

Nick Bosa is the kind of player you give a 7 year contract to...........so people who assume that the cap hit will be a detriment aren't taking into account that his deal will be heavily backloaded and his first couple years cap hits could be pretty minor.    It's not like he will have to settle for a team that can absorb a big 2023/2024 cap hit.   

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Brady never reset the market or anything but he was never way below market compared to say Manning, Brees etc in the same period. 

But in this market Burrow taking $25m would be like him playing at half price. That would be a first for a top end QB.

The thing is though...........half price still only gets you 1 star player back.    Teams that push cap debt like the Saints or now the Bills to some extend........they can get the same effect by manipulating the cap.    I suspect that deal would blow up in Cinci in a few years because I wouldn't trust Mike Brown to not use more of a "cash to the cap" type system.    Burrow would be dumb to do that.  I have seen more evidence of willingness to sacrifice earnings from Ralph C. Wilson Jr. than Mike Brown........and it's not close.

• Agree 1

Why do folk get sucked in by these sort of rumors every time one pops  up???

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Jets could probably get it done..

They could backload his contract to start hitting after Rodgers steps away, and they could send some picks and one of their pass rushers who Bosa would replace. 

I mean, if the 49ers asked for Will McDonald or Jermaine Johnson and some picks, would they really say no?  

Yes, they would say no

Bosa ain’t going nowhere. He’ll be a niner for the next several seasons

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

This is truly scary considering they are coming off a SB win during a 'transition' year and also widely expected to get to/win another SB this year.

They have a ton of cap space, but also a ton of high value players to pay. 

There's a reason they're playing hardball with Chris Jones.. 

Seeing as the Jets have money & the fact that Bosa's ex coach is now the Jets HC i'm thinking that will be his landing place which would really suck .

The only way i see him coming to the Bills would be trading someone like Rouseu and some picks because that guy lit it up for them on defense & will be commanding a very high price for them to get rid of him so i don't see Beane doing that . But 1 never knows what might grow from the magic Beane .

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah but he's worth a lot more in trade if they send him somewhere he wants to go that will give him the contract he wants.

Nick Bosa is the kind of player you give a 7 year contract to...........so people who assume that the cap hit will be a detriment aren't taking into account that his deal will be heavily backloaded and his first couple years cap hits could be pretty minor.    It's not like he will have to settle for a team that can absorb a big 2023/2024 cap hit.   

The thing is though...........half price still only gets you 1 star player back.    Teams that push cap debt like the Saints or now the Bills to some extend........they can get the same effect by manipulating the cap.    I suspect that deal would blow up in Cinci in a few years because I wouldn't trust Mike Brown to not use more of a "cash to the cap" type system.    Burrow would be dumb to do that.  I have seen more evidence of willingness to sacrifice earnings from Ralph C. Wilson Jr. than Mike Brown........and it's not close.

Agree. I have said it about Cincy, their challenge isn't going to be paying the guys so much as it will be doing what KC and Buffalo do year after year and creating space by giving big new chunks of up front change to 3 or 4 players including their QB in exchange for cap relief.

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree. I have said it about Cincy, their challenge isn't going to be paying the guys so much as it will be doing what KC and Buffalo do year after year and creating space by giving big new chunks of up front change to 3 or 4 players including their QB in exchange for cap relief.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Why do folk get sucked in by these sort of rumors every time one pops  up???

Its pretty funny.   I mean, some unknown person just says "I am the guy who broke the CMC trade news" and everyone takes that as fact.  Maybe he has a connection where he got some info early, maybe he doesn't.  All I know some guy saying he does isn't confirmation of the fact.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

They have a ton of cap space, but also a ton of high value players to pay. 

There's a reason they're playing hardball with Chris Jones.. 

All true because their GM is the best in the business (and maybe best GM in all pro sports right now).

Definitely have a lot of young stars up and down the roster they will have to think about extending in coming years but you get the sense that Mahomes is going to keep restructuring to team friendly deals like Brady did all those years in NE to keep them in the championship mix and keep most core guys.

Still think Chris Jones deal gets done at some point sooner than later too.

Bottom line it's the Chiefs world in the NFL and we are all living in it which is why I maintain the Bills organization eventually has to know they aren't touching these guys with the current GM/HC when it matters most in the playoffs and must rethink their long term strategy there to win playoff games beyond divisional round.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 4

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is truly scary considering they are coming off a SB win during a 'transition' year and also widely expected to get to/win another SB this year.

GO CHIEFS!

37 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

All true because their GM is the best in the business (and maybe best GM in all pro sports right now).

Definitely have a lot of young stars up and down the roster they will have to think about extending in coming years but you get the sense that Mahomes is going to keep restructuring to team friendly deals like Brady did all those years in NE to keep them in the championship mix and keep most core guys.

Still think Chris Jones deal gets done at some point sooner than later too.

Bottom line it's the Chiefs world in the NFL and we are all living in it which is why I maintain the Bills organization eventually has to know they aren't touching these guys with the current GM/HC when it matters most in the playoffs and must rethink their long term strategy there to win playoff games beyond divisional round.

GO CHIEFS!

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Honestly its not good right now. AVT coming back from a season ending injury, Becton is finally back after a couple of years injured, Duane Brown is protecting Rodgers blind side and that scares me. That is our only weakness on the team and its the most important IMO.

At least the Jets lineman can run block. Everyone is psyched about Rodgers, but are overlooking the best RB tandem in the league. It’s almost unfair having Dalvin Cook & Breece Hall on the same team 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

At least the Jets lineman can run block. Everyone is psyched about Rodgers, but are overlooking the best RB tandem in the league. It’s almost unfair having Dalvin Cook & Breece Hall on the same team 

Might be a lil premature with the best RB tandem....... Cook isn't the same and we have no idea how Hall will return after the injury... Potential, sure, but lets see how they play first!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

I hear rumors a while back prior to the Jalen Hurts or Herbert deals that Burrow wanted an 8 year fully guaranteed contract at $25M/yr the thought was he wanted to ensure Chase could be resigned without question. 

this approach would open the door for Bosa. Bosa paired with Hendrickson is scary.

Could he ever consider that contract with what others have signed for recently? No idea. But the guy does so much for low income families between his foundation, food bank stuff, and now purchasing small family farms to help out those groups. It is possible I guess. his mother is a school principal still and see a lot of this struggle on a daily basis.

If he signs that deal and it paves the way for Bosa, they give him the key to the city.

There’s no way Burrow would leave that kind of money in the table - especially when dealing with Mike Brown. Brown would just pocket it. The smart play would be for the QB to get his market value contract. Then if the team got strapped for cash/cap and could make a good case for needing some back for a specific player, then the QB could make a decision about whether or not to do that.

You gotta live in the real world. If a team could get away with saying.”Hey, kid, take 50¢ on the dollar and we’ll put a real swell team around you!” then every team would screw over every player that way.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bosa would have to want to sign with the team they trade him to in order for San Francisco to get a good return.

That would point to Miami.    

His dad was a first round bust for the Dolphins.......his uncle is Eric Kumerow the former Dolphins LB...........and Nick and Joey were raised in Miami.

That's home for the Bosa family.

That's great in theory and all plus sentimental with the family thing but not happening.

Miami has $13.3 million in cap space.

The top 5 DEs:

Garrett $25 million 

Crosby $23.5m

Henderickson $21m

Williams $21m

Miller $20m 

If they were to pay him $10m so they still have a $3m cushion in case of emergencies he would be tied with Sam Hubbard and Foley Fatukasi for the 19th highest paid.

The only AFC teams that could realistically afford him are the Browns, Chiefs and Bengals.

The Chiefs could pair him with Karlaftis, their 1st round pick last year, who is entering year two of his rookie deal but then what do they do with this year's 1st round DE selection Anudike-Uzomah?

The Brownies have Garrett and his large price tag so adding Bosa would be dedicating a lot of the cap to one position.  Plus they traded for Za'Darius Smith and signed him to a 4 year deal that has $10.5 million fully guaranteed this year.

As for the Bengals they have the aforementioned Hendrickson who they just signed to an extension that keeps him in Cinci through the 2025 season.   On the other side that have Hubbard who is also inked though the 2025 season at an average of $10 million plus.  Not to mention they still have Burrow's and Higgins' extensions to get done.

The next two teams in cap space are the Colts and Jets.

40 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You gotta live in the real world. If a team could get away with saying.”Hey, kid, take 50¢ on the dollar and we’ll put a real swell team around you!” then every team would screw over every player that way.  

the real world includes a minimum salary cap (floor). which prevents exactly what you just stated.

“Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap”

I recall this headline :Colts’ Andrew Luck Becomes NFL’s Highest-Paid Player With 5 year $122M dollar deal.

I wonder if he would have taken 30% less to have an O-line that weren’t turnstyles that partially lead to his early retirement.

2 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

the real world includes a minimum salary cap (floor). which prevents exactly what you just stated.

“Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap”

I recall this headline :Colts’ Andrew Luck Becomes NFL’s Highest-Paid Player With 5 year $122M dollar deal.

I wonder if he would have taken 30% less to have an O-line that weren’t turnstyles that partially lead to his early retirement.

Not exactly. Teams must spend an average of 89% of the salary cap IN CASH. Proration of signing bonuses allows for a lot of play in the actual cash spent. For example, the Bills are currently set to spend $287M this season. That will increase due to PS signings and injured player replacements. The 2023 cap is $224.8M. 89% of that is $200M. So the Bills are spending $87M - or 43.5% - more this year than they need to. So if an owner could pay a $50M/yr  QB half of that, they could easily pocket the $25M/yr. 

Again, it is extremely naive to think players should take less than they are worth on the word of the team that they’ll spend it on surrounding them with better players. And that’s not even considering the odds that it wouldn’t work anyway. SMH

7 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

That's great in theory and all plus sentimental with the family thing but not happening.

Miami has $13.3 million in cap space.

The top 5 DEs:

Garrett $25 million 

Crosby $23.5m

Henderickson $21m

Williams $21m

Miller $20m 

If they were to pay him $10m so they still have a $3m cushion in case of emergencies he would be tied with Sam Hubbard and Foley Fatukasi for the 19th highest paid.

The only AFC teams that could realistically afford him are the Browns, Chiefs and Bengals.

The Chiefs could pair him with Karlaftis, their 1st round pick last year, who is entering year two of his rookie deal but then what do they do with this year's 1st round DE selection Anudike-Uzomah?

The Brownies have Garrett and his large price tag so adding Bosa would be dedicating a lot of the cap to one position.  Plus they traded for Za'Darius Smith and signed him to a 4 year deal that has $10.5 million fully guaranteed this year.

As for the Bengals they have the aforementioned Hendrickson who they just signed to an extension that keeps him in Cinci through the 2025 season.   On the other side that have Hubbard who is also inked though the 2025 season at an average of $10 million plus.  Not to mention they still have Burrow's and Higgins' extensions to get done.

The next two teams in cap space are the Colts and Jets.

$13.3M in cap space is much more than enough to sign a QB to a long term $50M/year extension..........let alone a little $30M aav deal for a young edge rusher.........because a LONG extension can start with small $5M type cap hits in the first couple of seasons.   

The Bills started out this offseason $20M OVER the cap and yet they added over $40M in aav's to the payroll to this year between the Oliver extension, McGovern, Sharty and Floyd........they just pushed a lot of that cap debt into the future.

Bosa is an absolute superstar.    I hope Miami isn't in on him but I suspect they would be on the very short list of places Bosa would agree to sign with.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

Jaguars

Shad khan needs sizzle for his London fanbase.  Jaguars have good players.  But have they ever had a star in his prime?  ever?

Doug peterson, say what you will, does seem to know how to make a superbowl team.  They could easily and quite rationally think they are exactly one piece away.  They could easily think they are in a window AND with young players.

Edited by maddenboy

On 8/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, Success said:

I'm starting to wish the Bills were in the NFC.

I swear - we'd go to the SB just about every year.

Such bad luck, but hey, It is what it is. The Bills just need to elevate and it will be that much sweeter when they win a championship knowing the caliber of teams they had to beat to get there.

9 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

. . . The only AFC teams that could realistically afford him are the Browns, Chiefs and Bengals.

. . . As for the Bengals they have the aforementioned Hendrickson who they just signed to an extension that keeps him in Cinci through the 2025 season.   On the other side that have Hubbard who is also inked though the 2025 season at an average of $10 million plus.  Not to mention they still have Burrow's and Higgins' extensions to get done.

the other problem with the Bengals is the actual cash.   To fund large signing bonuses.   Mike brown is saving every penny, and looking for new lines of credit, for the moment when he can no longer earn interest on it by delaying paying Burrow.

Mike brown has no cash and hates to pay it.   Mark davis has no cash but loves to pay it.

mike brown lives like its paycheck to paycheck.  

Edited by maddenboy

Seems this has been debunked, but very surprised by the lack of Las Vegas Raiders mentions. Makes little sense with the already scare Crosby/Jones combo I know but that's exactly what the chaos agent Raiders do, now with Vegas flair. Always contenders to make a splash at all times.

Edited by Nelius

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.