Former OL Oher Blindsided: Suing Tuohy's Claiming They Never Adopted Him

BuffaloBillyG

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like a money grab after the fact. They had no way of knowing he would be in the NFL when they took him in.

I mean maybe there is some wrong on their side that occurred after the fact once big time money got involved with the movie tho...

Oher was barely 18 when he signed his life away.   Interesting coincidence they did this when he was just old enough to sign the documents.  That was sarcasm. 

He was extremely gifted athletically and received multiple offers from big time universities to play football.  Not a huge stretch to predict he would be playing in the NFL someday. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I mean, Oher received a home with a roof over his head. Not inside a slum with a crackhead 

mother and no father. He was guided into having an NFL career and made millions from it. 

im not saying he doesn’t have a gripe. Just seems kind of petty to complain about it now. The guy had a successful career in the NFL and made millions thanks to that family. Without them it doesn’t happen. He probably blew all his money and has no other options at this point. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like a money grab after the fact. They had no way of knowing he would be in the NFL when they took him in.

I mean maybe there is some wrong on their side that occurred after the fact once big time money got involved with the movie tho...

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Unless they stole money from him…, it sounds like he is broke and making a cash grab…, 

You people defending this sound pathetic. Tricking an 18 year old into signing away his name in likeness to take advantage of him is fould and lacks integrity. Assuming he doesn't make it into the league without them is also pathetic. You act like to heir was no chance honest people could have taken him in. Blind assumption there. 

It's clear they took him in to make money. Lying about the adoption part shows they are scumbags. For them not to give him any money off the story is pathetic. He should have had a built in percentage like an honorable person would make sure of if you truly love them.

Acting as if he shouldn't care about all the lies, deception and greed cause they used him is pathetic as well. They most likely don't take him in if he wasn't a freak athlete. I just hate seeing scumbags be defended. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, julian said:

You’ve obviously chosen a side here and seem reluctant to acknowledge there’s most certainly two sides then the truth,

I’m sure all parties involved will be just fine at the end of the day.

Sept 11th can’t get here soon enough 

I agree. I'm not jumping into this pool.  Too much pee in it.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Oher was barely 18 when he signed his life away.   Interesting coincidence they did this when he was just old enough to sign the documents.  That was sarcasm. 

He was extremely gifted athletically and received multiple offers from big time universities to play football.  Not a huge stretch to predict he would be playing in the NFL someday. 

How much money did they get from the NFL contract?

• Like (+1) 2

People saying he must be broke and looking for money.... I know its happened, but feels unlikely. Spotrac has his career earnings at $38.5M. Dude was a starting LT.

As far as the rest of the story who knows.  Anybody know much conservatorships?  Basically a guess here, but if he was already 18, its not out of realm of possibility they did this as opposed to legally adopting him due to age, while still doing all the leg work of taking care of him.

Give them access to things like speaking to his school, Dr's, etc. I dunno, just pointing out there could very well be a logical thing to do and doesnt signal immediate malicious intent on its own.

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Totally agree with this. The main gripe (other than the $$$, and isn’t it ALWAYS about the $$$...LOL) seems to be that he wasn't "legally adopted", but for all intents and purposes, he was adopted by that family. Sort of like a "common law marriage" situation. 

It is peculiar though that the family would actually write in their book that he was getting a cut of the movie profits, while in reality (according to the lawsuit) he was getting zilch. That makes no sense.

There's no way his story is completely true. The facts will come out and they will not help him.

Honestly, the lawyers are probably the scum bags in all this, driving a wedge between them to get a cut of the money when all the dust settles.

BTW, I haven't even seen the movie, but I read up on all of this years ago when I heard he wasn't happy with the movie and claimed it ruined his life or something like that. My opinion back then is that he just wants money for nothing.

6 minutes ago, StHustle said:

You people defending this sound pathetic. Tricking an 18 year old into signing away his name in likeness to take advantage of him is fould and lacks integrity. Assuming he doesn't make it into the league without them is also pathetic. You act like to heir was no chance honest people could have taken him in. Blind assumption there. 

It's clear they took him in to make money. Lying about the adoption part shows they are scumbags. For them not to give him any money off the story is pathetic. He should have had a built in percentage like an honorable person would make sure of if you truly love them.

Acting as if he shouldn't care about all the lies, deception and greed cause they used him is pathetic as well. They most likely don't take him in if he wasn't a freak athlete. I just hate seeing scumbags be defended. 

You dont know any of that, and neither do we.  Pretty wild to jump to these people being scumbags or Oher money grabbing, this early. 

One detail that caught my eye was saying he received no royalties (i believe that means- back end money).  Could it be possible they cut him in up front, while agreeing they would take their slice of the back end money.

^^no we dont know, just something i noticed

Regardless of outcome I doubt either party comes out of this with 100% blame.  Experience tells me the story will be somewhere down the middle. Curious to see the families legal response.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

The story was just as much them taking him in as it was about oher. 

I'd strongly doubt they knew Oher was a shoe in to make big money or that any book or movie would be made. 

Also the dad went to HS with Michael Lewis who wrote the book, which suggests the story wouldn't have been written without the Tuohys in the picture.

So he burned through the $34.5 million he made in the NFL. Sorry, no sympathy here. 

By the way, I know the woman whose doll was the basis for all those Annabelle movies. She signed the rights away to the Warrens decades ago and hasn’t seen a penny of that money. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Defending a multi millionaire, who likely would not have become said multi millionaire without those terrible other rich peoples guidance…, it’s not as if they left him unemployed in Greenland…, they were instrumental in him getting into the NFL and flourishing, and as I said “ unless they stole money from him” 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The movie came out in 2009, how was it only until recently that he questioned why he didn't receive any money from it?

If I understand how it was vaguely covered by the article, that was while he was still getting paid well by the NFL, so he wasn't paying that much attention. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Defending a multi millionaire, who likely would not have become said multi millionaire without those terrible other rich peoples guidance…, it’s not as if they left him unemployed in Greenland…, they were instrumental in him getting into the NFL and flourishing, and as I said “ unless they stole money from him” 

Waiting to see how this all hashes out, but if it turns out he was the one member of that family who wasn't paid for that story, that he's the central figure in with the rest of the family, that'd be really sad, and I'd understand why he'd be hurt by that.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Still defending lying deceitful people…smh…some people don’t understand morals and integrity or just don’t care about it….you’re one of those people.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

That movie was racist as hell on the day it was released.  The fact that the white savior lady was actually using him to enrich herself is the most predictable twist of all time.

If his allegations are true, this is going to be very ugly.

Watching The Blindside right now so I can yell profanities at the TV similar to most Bills games.

I need to get in season game shape and this is part of my training as a Bills fan.

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Still defending lying deceitful people…smh…some people don’t understand morals and integrity or just don’t care about it….you’re one of those people.

Maybe he’s just one of those people that doesn’t believe that the world is all sunshine and rainbows. Have to say it again. Nobody in this world is owed anything. Oher of all people should know that. He was homeless with a crackhead for a mother and no father. Regardless if those people legally adopted him or not. They brought him into their home. Gave him food. Shelter. Guided him in school. Made sure he was provided with the proper education that drove him to be a man. If you want to knock anything, it was maybe manipulative to sway him and his decision to pick which college he attended. Among other things. But let’s not fool ourselves, he’s what he is today because that family helped him and guided him along a successful path.  If you don’t believe that idk what else to say. There’s no swaying your opinion I guess. Have a nice day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

i think if i know a couple more bits of info (is oher broke now?  what else happened to sour the relationship between all of them?  any other sordid biz details for that family) i could predict who is in the "right/wrong" and how this will play out.

i suppose it could also be a total misunderstanding.  like, did they try to do the right thing and his agent or adviser or some such decided to push him another way, or did the film company just screw him over themselves?

juicy!

3 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

If his allegations are true, this is going to be very ugly.

Watching The Blindside right now so I can yell profanities at the TV similar to most Bills games.

I need to get in season game shape and this is part of my training as a Bills fan.

You should watch The Draft instead. Much more realistic to yell at Brandon Beane looking like a douche in a movie. 

19 minutes ago, eball said:

I don’t usually have off-the-cuff, knee-jerk reactions to civil lawsuits involving millions of dollars with details I know nothing about….but when I want to read one, I come to The Stadium Wall.

10 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I’m not taking a side on this, I simply don’t know enough of the facts. Who did they lie to, and what lies were told? Who did they deceive? How did those conversations go? I have no idea, so like so many topics I’ll just wait to see how it shakes out. 

He was a big kid, but far from a guaranteed NFL millionaire as a high schooler. They were certainly comfortable, so I doubt this was all about he long game and the movie deal. PowerBall has odds like that. All I know is what the movie wanted me to know, but I doubt that is enough to have a firm conviction. 

1 minute ago, colin said:

i think if i know a couple more bits of info (is oher broke now?  what else happened to sour the relationship between all of them?  any other sordid biz details for that family) i could predict who is in the "right/wrong" and how this will play out.

i suppose it could also be a total misunderstanding.  like, did they try to do the right thing and his agent or adviser or some such decided to push him another way, or did the film company just screw him over themselves?

juicy!

Likely his agent and other people in his ears trying to throw their thoughts into the whole thing. Confusing Oher and driving a wedge between him and the family. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m not taking a side on this, I simply don’t know enough of the facts. Who did they lie to, and what lies were told? Who did they deceive? How did those conversations go? I have no idea, so like so many topics I’ll just wait to see how it shakes out. 

He was a big kid, but far from a guaranteed NFL millionaire as a high schooler. They were certainly comfortable, so I doubt this was all about he long game and the movie deal. PowerBall has odds like that. All I know is what the movie wanted me to know, but I doubt that is enough to have a firm conviction. 

True. But you do know for a fact that the family took him in off the street and gave him food, shelter, a mother and father figure that weren’t dead or drug addicts, and guidance. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Ask yourself...does it make sense that a person worth over $200 million would try and get a few bucks off a kid they took in?

Tuohy responded and said they made about $14K apiece and it was split equally including with Oher.

Additionally he said they did the conservatorship because that was the only way they could adopt him under state law with the circumstances they had.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

legally adoption or not, without Tuohys family, Oher wasn't even able to go to any NCAA division I school due to academic requirement. Maybe Tuohys had some questionable intention from the beginning, but it can't be denied that they played an important role to help Oher to his success.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/blindside.php

Did the Tuohys really hire a tutor for Michael?

Yes. In The Blind Side movie, the Tuohys hire Kathy Bates' character, Miss Sue, to tutor Michael. In real life, Sue Mitchell spoke about her routine with Michael, "We worked hours and hours every day. He would come home, he'd take a shower and we would work until at least 11:30 every night. And we did this six nights a week." (20/20) By his senior year at Briarcrest, Michael was making the honor roll (Author Michael Lewis Interview).

Did Michael take any academic shortcuts to become eligible for the NCAA?

In his February 2010 article "Why 'The Blind Side' is Too Good to be True", Entertainment Weekly columnist Mark Harris is critical of some of Michael Oher's methods to become eligible for the NCAA, stating that Oher's methods largely trash educational ethics.

Michael had nothing but D's and F's until the end of his junior year. However, he made all A's and B's during his senior year, but with no more classes to take, he could at best only finish with a 2.05 grade-point average. This was a problem since the NCAA required a 2.65 GPA (NYTimes.com). Regarding Michael and the Tuohy's questionable academic efforts to fix this problem, columnist Harris focuses on 10-day internet courses that Michael took his senior year from Brigham Young University, in order to replace existing F's on his transcript with A's. Harris refers to the courses as "an NCAA eligibility trick." The author of The Blind Side book labels the practice as "the great Mormon grade grub." Sean Tuohy had gotten the idea from a friend and the effort was being managed by Michael's tutor Sue Mitchell. (Evolution of a Game).

Sean Tuohy selected a series of 10-day online BYU character courses for Michael to complete over the summer with Sue Mitchell's help. All that each course required students to do was to read a few brief passages from famous works or speeches and then answer five questions on it. A's that Michael earned in these character courses could be used to replace existing F's that he had earned in high school English courses. Sean's strategy for Michael almost didn't work because even after he had been accepted to Ole Miss, the NCAA said that his GPA was still a bit too low to play college football. Sean quickly enrolled him in another BYU internet character course and on August 1, 2005 the NCAA finally accepted him. -NYTimes

Edited by syhuang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.