Former OL Oher Blindsided: Suing Tuohy's Claiming They Never Adopted Him

BuffaloBillyG

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And if someone made millions off your life story you would be ok with that?

Umm wasn’t just his life. It was the families life as well during that time. Sad he is suing them now. They took him in when he was living on the streets

28 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Still defending lying deceitful people…smh…some people don’t understand morals and integrity or just don’t care about it….you’re one of those people.

Work on your reading comprehension, I did say repeatedly unless they stole money from him, your self righteousness is over the top, Saint Hustle…,  

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Likely his agent and other people in his ears trying to throw their thoughts into the whole thing. Confusing Oher and driving a wedge between him and the family. 

True. But you do know for a fact that the family took him in off the street and gave him food, shelter, a mother and father figure that weren’t dead or drug addicts, and guidance. 

Absolutely. This had to have started out as a real and genuine life changing gesture. Of that I have no doubt.

As others have said, they had all the money they needed. We don’t know what happened behind the scenes, but this started as an incredibly kind act. Did they later squabble over some terms in the movie deal? Very possible but that was WAY down the road. Things go sideways sometimes, even with all kinds of families. 

• Agree 1

About all most of us know about this is what we saw in the movie.  Oher has made statements in the past saying the movie wasn't really accurate, so who knows what the true story is.  

That said, it seems really rotten that he'd sue the family that helped him get where he did.

22 minutes ago, Utah John said:

About all most of us know about this is what we saw in the movie.  Oher has made statements in the past saying the movie wasn't really accurate, so who knows what the true story is.  

That said, it seems really rotten that he'd sue the family that helped him get where he did.

Does it seem rotten to you that they made millions off the movie and Oher didn't get a dime (allegedly)?

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Does it seem rotten to you that they made millions off the movie and Oher didn't get a dime (allegedly)?

Does it seem rotten that they guided that young man to be an nfl star and he never paid them anything from his career earnings of $30m+?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The allegations, if true, present some pretty sticky legal issues.

If they obtained a conservatorship, the Touhey's (sp.) are under a legal duty to act in HIS best interest regarding his assets.  Those assets would include his name and his story. It is an independent duty created by the legal nature of the conservatorship.

If they simply gave away the monetary rights to his name and story...as court appointed conservators, they will have some questions to answer. Thy are not appointed to waste assets of the ward.  In fact, a conservatorship is created to prevent wasting of the ward's assets.

It gets worse if they personally profited from an asset of his that he never received a cut from.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

Does it seem rotten that they guided that young man to be an nfl star and he never paid them anything from his career earnings of $30m+?

They "guided" him into being 6'6", 340 lbs and highly athletic?  I think you're taking the movie too literally.  They were nice to him and helped him out; that doesn't mean they get credit for what he became.  Without reading the complaint, it's hard to know what Oher's legal theory is or whether there are facts to support it, but if the Toueys told everyone they didn't make money from the movie and in fact they made millions that they did not share with Michael, then they could have a problem.

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

They "guided" him into being 6'6", 340 lbs and highly athletic?  I think you're taking the movie too literally.  They were nice to him and helped him out; that doesn't mean they get credit for what he became.  Without reading the complaint, it's hard to know what Oher's legal theory is or whether there are facts to support it, but if the Toueys told everyone they didn't make money from the movie and in fact they made millions that they did not share with Michael, then they could have a problem.

For like the 15th time in this thread. His mother was a crackhead, living in squalor. His father I believe was dead or in prison. He was homeless at the time. 

yes, the family absolutely helped him and guided him in his life. He would likely not be anything what he’s become without them. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

How much did they make? And how much did he make? Did everyone sign off on this? Did someone fail to perform according to the agreement in any way? 

There is a lot of moral outrage here. If someone could give us the Cliff Notes on the facts and the contracts, that would be helpful. 

One thing we learned from the Manziel documentary is that all sides are greasy when it comes to NCAA football; the schools, the leagues, the families and the kids. There’s too much money involved for it to be squeaky clean. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, mrags said:

I didn’t. And don’t need to. Regardless if he was actually “adopted” or not. Who cares. Was he brought into their home? Was he given a roof over his head? Did he have a parental figure helping him and assisting him unlike his actual mother? Would he be a retired NFL player if not for that family? 

nobody is owed anything in this world. He of all people should know that. So what the family profited from the story. So did he. He became an NFL star. Earned millions. 

I

The movie and the family ďidnt make Oher a football star.  He did that with his play.  His being a football player helped the movie generate alot of money.  Why did they make him think the conservatoŕship paperwork was adoption paperwork?  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I

The movie and the family ďidnt make Oher a football star.  He did that with his play.  His being a football player helped the movie generate alot of money.  Why did they make him think the conservatoŕship paperwork was adoption paperwork?  

We don’t know what the paperwork says, nor what he was told about the paperwork. So, basically, we know nothing. 

His word is one thing, theirs is probably another. The truth is usually in the middle somewhere. 

If I missed stuff, my apologies. I’m open to what we know FOR SURE. Not emotional reaction. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

We don’t know what the paperwork says, nor what he was told about the paperwork. So, basically, we know nothing. 

His word is one thing, theirs is probably another. The truth is usually in the middle somewhere. 

If I missed stuff, my apologies. I’m open to what we know FOR SURE. Not emotional reaction. 

Nope. Didn’t miss much. Other than people whining about how he was mistreated when he was brought into a home from being homeless with a mother that cared more about her next fix then she did her own child. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

They were nice to him and helped him out; that doesn't mean they get credit for what he became.  

OK, I get this, but; do they deserve any credit for what he did NOT become? Considering the surroundings that they removed him from, I think that my question does deserve some merit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I want Sandra Bullock's opinion on this

Sandra Bullockis not the problem. In fact I believe she has legally adopted a couple children and at least one was a black child.  Ñot that it matters but seems like Sean Tuohy is claiming the family received alot less than what's reported in the story.  Big discrepancy in the total he claims they got and what the story has them receiving and Sean claims Oher ģot an equal share whìch Oheŕ refutes.  Be interesting to see what deals they made in others name as conservators.  That will possibly shed light on true motivations.

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Nope. Didn’t miss much. Other than people whining about how he was mistreated when he was brought into a home from being homeless with a mother that cared more about her next fix then she did her own child. 

OK, I just saw the news on this. They say the conservatorship was signed after he turned 18, and is still in place. Barring some shocking news, that ain’t right. 

What happened during the conservatorship will be up for scrutiny, but I doubt they were trying to milk this homeless kid they brought into their uber-affluent home. 

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, I get this, but; do they deserve any credit for what he did NOT become? Considering the surroundings that they removed him from, I think that my question does deserve some merit. 

Your suggesting that Oher himself couldnt have made good on his own.  Hogwash, many people  growing up in similar situations manage to succeed despite a troubled background.  He was already an all ámerican hs player when he moved in with them but movie makes it seem like they taught him about football when that was not even close to the truth. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Your suggesting that Oher himself couldnt have made good on his own.  Hogwash, many people  growing up in similar situations manage to succeed despite a troubled background.  He was already an all ámerican hs player when he moved in with them but movie makes it seem like they taught him about football when that was not even close to the truth.

He would have never made eligibility.

Even if he somehow self improved from F's to A's in school, how could he afford the online classes and lawyers to fight the NCAA.

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

That’s exactly what many are suggesting. No father. Another living in squalor who was addicted to crack. A child that was homeless and apparently not succeeding in school. Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Facts are the deck is stacked against him. Is it possible for him to become what he did? Sure. Is it possible for him to become president of the United States, sure. However it’s more likely he ends up dead or in prison or living the gang life. I don’t know the statistical numbers to back this up. But I know from experience in people living this way, this life. I see it every single day. 

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

He would have never made eligibility.

Even if he somehow self improved from F's to A's in school, how could he afford the online classes and lawyers to fight the NCAA.

Some people just don’t get it 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

First we learn that "Rudy" was BS and now this. So much for feel good stories being true.

Wait Rudý story is also fabricated?  Next thing you will tell me is Shane Falco wasnt a real qb.  

Edited by AuntieEm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.