Fixed/Rigged NFL game?

major

Have you ever watched an NFL game that left you convinced that it might have been  fixed/or rigged? If so, which one/ones?

It could be sabotage, missed calls or blown calls- officiating, stolen playbooks, spying, etc…

My list: 

-Super bowl 37: Raiders and Tampa Bay

-Super Bowl XL: Steelers and Seahawks

-Super Bowl 36: Patriots and Rams

-Super Bowl 50: Broncos and Panthers

-2001 AFC divisional game: Patriots and Oakland 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Hard evidence would convince me. Do you have any of that? The NFL is an enormous operation. If anyone (refs, league officials, the Rog himself) were on the take there would be word of it by now. 

Until then I chalk it up to plain old incompetence.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Hard evidence would convince me. Do you have any of that? The NFL is an enormous operation. If anyone (refs, league officials, the Rog himself) were on the take there would be word of it by now. 

Until then I chalk it up to plain old incompetence.

I would tend to agree, no proof no credibility. But, that Steelers/Seahawks SB is pretty head scratching. If there was one that was fixed that one would be my choice. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They rigged those but let Eli Manning beat them twice?

Sure. The Mannings are the First Family of the NFL.

For the record, I give more credit to Tom Coughlin's coaching for winning than Eli Manning's play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, major said:

Have you ever watched an NFL game that left you convinced that it might have been  fixed/or rigged? If so, which one/ones?

It could be sabotage, missed calls or blown calls- officiating, stolen playbooks, spying, etc…

My list: 

"Give it to them" game where referees were heard saying it but no replay shows iit.

• Like (+1) 4

If I had more faith in human competence then I'd consider it but refs are human beings who are flawed which is why I'm calling for robot refs in the future.  Until then they need to aggressively push for more cameras and fully embrace the sky judge.

Tanking is hard to pull off but not impossible.  The 2014 Bucs were up 20-3 at halftime in their finale against the Saints.  If they won they wouldn't get the number two pick so they put backups in in the 2nd half and ended up losing 23-20.  Little good it did them though as Jameis Winston was a disappointment (arguable bust).

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

"Give it to them" game where referees were heard saying it but no replay shows iit.

They weren't sure so side with the home crowd.  Human nature.  I'd argue if the Titans homerun throwback would've been called a forward lateral if the game was played in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Impossible to 100% rig a football game. A few could definitely try their best though.

Right.   That NBA ref could only get the outcome he wanted maybe 70% of the time.  NFL is a much tougher ask.   It is certainly possible there is some bad egg somewhere trying but IMO it is not likely.  

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Right.   That NBA ref could only get the outcome he wanted maybe 70% of the time.  NFL is a much tougher ask.   It is certainly possible there is some bad egg somewhere trying but IMO it is not likely.  

NBA would definitely be easier to fix than NFL. 

But if a QB or play caller wanted to they could easily fix an NFL game. A ref could attempt to with bad calls.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 hours ago, major said:

My list: 

The Raiders vs TB Super Bowl was on the Raiders. From what I heard they still used the same terminology, play calls and audibles as they did when Gruden coached there the year prior. The Bucs knew what they were doing the whole game. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

The Raiders vs TB Super Bowl was on the Raiders. From what I heard they still used the same terminology, play calls and audibles as they did when Gruden coached there the year prior. The Bucs knew what they were doing the whole game. 

True conspiracy theories versus "Boy!  Is Chuckie ever dumb!" 😁

7 hours ago, major said:

My list: 

Wow, just 4 Super Bowls and 1 AFC Championship Games fixed/rigged??

Can you please take one of those examples and briefly give us your reasoning, evidence,  so we can better understand your mindset?

But for now we can safely assume who you are voting for in the next presidential election!

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, major said:

My list: 

The playoff games are all fixed, the regular season games are all fixed, the preseason games are all fixed, even the practices are fixed.  

Now can someone please run to Wegmans and buy up all the tinfoil for me, as I have a lot of hats to make. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

NY is a big market...

Goodell: Okay Coach Coughlin.  We need a big play for everyone to remember.  Call a protection where Manning is going to be pressured and hurried easy.

Have him run around and just throw the ball up.  Then have an unknown WR jump up for it and do something incredible like pinning the ball against his helmet.

You and Belicheck need to get together and practice this because we need to make it look real.  Keep practicing the one handed helmet catch over and over again until it works.

7 hours ago, Tuco said:

The link here is to the Bills vs Redskins SB, showing a bunch of obvious defensive pass interference fouls by the Skins, and none of them were called. I remember watching that game and yelling at the TV in disbelief that the refs were not calling those fouls. At halftime, running into the locker room, Marv Levy seeks out a ref and repeatedly tells him "You've been bought." I agree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Couple years ago, Buffalo Vs Tampa Bay. Bills are storming back for he win and the refs missed a few blatant holding calls. I remember Diggs jersey stretched almost across the field. 
In all seriousness though, it's not rigged BUT I do think the ref favor certain players or teams. Just ask Jerry Hughes 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The only time I've actually seriously wondered if a game or season was rigged was the season of the Saints Super Bowl win. 

Yup, they had an all-timer at QB. But this is a team that hadn't made a Bowl before and never made one since only making and winning it off the heels of Hurricane Katrina ripping New Orleans apart. Now I have no evidence to point to, just seems a bit too coincidental to me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.