Spencer Brown Injury Concern

vtnatefootball11

27 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Awesome coverage. A little granny and hampered Gabe’s right arm from reaching out. That’s not why we lost the game though. I guess we just excuse Josh’s 2 picks that game. 

The mustache is the reason we lost that game.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Awesome coverage. A little granny and hampered Gabe’s right arm from reaching out. That’s not why we lost the game though. I guess we just excuse Josh’s 2 picks that game. 

No one is ignoring Allen's 2 INT's they contributed to the loss.  But 2 INT's, against the D line & DB's that the Jets have is not a terrible thing.  Get back to me when Allen throws 3 or 4 INT's against the Jets.

If you expect Allen to play perfectly every game you're going to be disappointed.  The fact remains that the D allowed the Jet's to get back in the game with a 7 minute 75 yard TD drive right after Allen's run had put the Bills up 14 - 3.  Then later the D allowed the Jets to go on an epic 90 yard drive using up a big part of the 4th quarter to kick the game winning FG.  Then at the end Davis dropped a perfectly thrown ball from Allen that would have at minimum sent the game to OT.

You fixation on Allen's role here is disingenuous at best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The report of him not being able to pick up his helmet was after practice on Thursday.  He played last night with no limitations.

One day's difference doesn't change the concern much in my eyes. There was also a separate report earlier in the week that after one play, Brown got up very slowly in a manner which suggested his back was the issue.

Until he proves otherwise there will be justifiable concern.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Perhaps I’m stating the obvious, but it’s Beane’s (and the director of pro personnel’s) job to be keeping an eye on waivers.

Absolutely. There's no doubt Beane is doing what he always does (even in his sleep).

I think it was after the Poona Ford signing in which Beane was quoted as saying something like "team building is a 365 day a year job."

If there are shortcomings in Beane's work, diligence is definitely not one of them.

His work ethic is legendary... he turned down a higher-paying job to accept an interrnship with Carolina. He was practically a ball boy when he started his NFL career.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

One day's difference doesn't change the concern much in my eyes. There was also a separate report earlier in the week that after one play, Brown got up very slowly in a manner which suggested his back was the issue.

Until he proves otherwise there will be justifiable concern.

If he had been injured, much less significantly, they would not have had him even suit up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

If he had been injured, much less significantly, they would not have had him even suit up.

That's true but last offseason he had lower back surgery and many of us, rightly or not, are still holding our breath about his health...due also to the fact that he's 6'8" and also to the general nature of back pain and injuries.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No one is ignoring Allen's 2 INT's they contributed to the loss.  But 2 INT's, against the D line & DB's that the Jets have is not a terrible thing.  Get back to me when Allen throws 3 or 4 INT's against the Jets.

If you expect Allen to play perfectly every game you're going to be disappointed.  The fact remains that the D allowed the Jet's to get back in the game with a 7 minute 75 yard TD drive right after Allen's run had put the Bills up 14 - 3.  Then later the D allowed the Jets to go on an epic 90 yard drive using up a big part of the 4th quarter to kick the game winning FG.  Then at the end Davis dropped a perfectly thrown ball from Allen that would have at minimum sent the game to OT.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like excusing Josh. At all. I don’t expect anyone to play perfectly every game. Somehow Josh’s mistakes get excused. “The line, the rbs, the wrs we’re at fault “. He’s the man when he plays well,but it’s someone else’s fault when he doesn’t. There’s no disingenuous fixation with Allen’s role in the loss, because it’s not just the Jets game. Let me guess, you’re one of those who claims Josh played well during the Cincy loss. He had a hand in the loss to Minn. Did you see the fumble return by the phins in the playoff game last year? He had the dump off pass set up perfectly to Singletary. Josh single-handedly almost handed them the game. All I read here was how Skyler almost beat us. No. Josh almost beat us. 
He’s my guy, but It’s ok to acknowledge he makes mistakes. It really is. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That's true but last offseason he had lower back surgery and many of us, rightly or not, are still holding our breath about his health...due also to the fact that he's 6'8" and also to the general nature of back pain and injuries.

Totally agree. But they know that as well, and if there were any concerns, they wouldn’t have had him play at all.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yeah being 6'8" and needing to constantly bend like that and then have 300 lb defensive lineman and much quicker linebackers running into you full force is not conducive to players with weak backs.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Totally agree. But they know that as well, and if there were any concerns, they wouldn’t have had him play at all.

If they aren’t concerned about RT and Browns back, than we’re likely in big trouble.  

both are major concerns- regardless of him practicing or being held out

18 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, could the 1st 5 or so pages of this thread be more hot takey and overreactive?

When we see him play well, we can speculate that his play won’t drag our team down.  Until then, all we have to go off of is history. And his history sucks

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

When we see him play well, we can speculate that his play won’t drag our team down.  Until then, all we have to go off of is history. And his history sucks

Okay. But that's not really what the 1st 5 pages of this thread are about.

The comments were over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The thing is, he hasn't been a terrible starting tackle every year. That's way overstating it. When healthy he's had some times when he was pretty damn solid.  And as a first year guy and a second-year guy with a back injury, particularly a guy with limited time in college, that's really good.

He's looked bad and he's looked good. Both. But he has had those time when he's been able to do the job pretty well.

If the injury doesn't hold him back it looks like he's got a really good chance to be good. If it does hold him back particularly in the long term, not so much.

Tom Hortons?

Tim’s lesser known older brother. 

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Disagree

An interception is a a game changer in most instances

Two ?

You just cant do that and expect to win

4 hours ago, Success said:

I mean, could the 1st 5 or so pages of this thread be more hot takey and overreactive?

Yes !

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh sucked that game… his worst game since 2019 IMO, still you excusing Davis dropping a perfectly thrown bomb is “dopey” to say the least. 

You know it can be both things… Josh isn’t perfect and has his moments of bone headedness, but the good far, far, far outweighs the bad…. Not the case for Davis who has proven time and time and time again he isn’t a reliable #2.

in a Spencer Brown thread

You had to go there  😇

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like excusing Josh. At all. I don’t expect anyone to play perfectly every game. Somehow Josh’s mistakes get excused. “The line, the rbs, the wrs we’re at fault “. He’s the man when he plays well,but it’s someone else’s fault when he doesn’t. There’s no disingenuous fixation with Allen’s role in the loss, because it’s not just the Jets game. Let me guess, you’re one of those who claims Josh played well during the Cincy loss. He had a hand in the loss to Minn. Did you see the fumble return by the phins in the playoff game last year? He had the dump off pass set up perfectly to Singletary. Josh single-handedly almost handed them the game. All I read here was how Skyler almost beat us. No. Josh almost beat us. 
He’s my guy, but It’s ok to acknowledge he makes mistakes. It really is. 

No, people like me are not "excusing" Allen we are contesting your and others positions that his play in some of these games was the PRIMARY reason we lost. 

I have no problem admitting Allen makes mistakes.  In fact Allen makes mistakes in EVERY game he plays in.  But what matters is that when all is said and done did Allen's mistakes eclipse his great play and lose the Bills the game. The ONLY game in the last 3 seasons, including the playoffs (56 games), that Allen's poor play was the primary reason we lost was the one again Jacksonville. 

When you say "he's my guy" I say yea right.  Your posts reek of passive aggressive dislike of Allen.

If you want to read posters talk about how Allen single-handedly lost the Mn & Cincy games or that his bad play almost lost the Dolphins playoff game then head over to FinHeaven, they have lots of posters you would agree with.

• Like (+1) 1

If Brown can’t go then Shell comes in, a guy with experience in the league.  Then you have the UFA from Florida and/or Doyle.  Or Edwards can slide in.  It’s not like there’s no options.  You can’t have a Pro Bowl caliber guy at every position in the modern day NFL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Not a shock.

I wanted him in the Draft.

Instead we took a 223 pound MLB.

Beane’s blind spot for Brown is hurting the team. 

Is there any way to trick the Bills front office into thinking rounds 1, 2 and 3 are rounds 5, 6, and 7?

…and I’m kind of not joking.

Our next pro bowlers drafted in rounds 1, 2, and 3 will be, if memory serves, our first pro bowlers drafted in rounds 1, 2, and 3 since round 1, 2018.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Dislike 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:39 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans don’t seem to understand. It’s the same thing with WR. The Bills and Josh Allen love Spencer Brown and Gabe Davis. 

This not about negligence. This is a scouting issue. It’s more about talent evaluation. I also believe both players are propped up by their all pro QB.

Not to mention the HC & GM.  😉

On 8/4/2023 at 7:56 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Brown practiced.  Why is this still a thing?

These detractors are on a run, best to step aside and watch the blathering mass pass by,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:21 PM, Captain_Quint said:

I think that with the addition of Kincaid, we'll see more of Knox staying in to block/chip/safety valve. They did it last you too, as the line struggled, but didn't have another TE to effectively work the route tree. 

I think we line up more in 12 personnel, but for this reason instead of both TEs going out on a route. 

Dirsey should design a bunch of plays to counter any plays that Brown gets beaten on. If he's up against a player he can't handle they can run some screens or counter draw runs to take that defender out if play and hopefully it will ratchet down their aggressiveness if we use it to our advantage without Josh taking off and taking some hits.

4 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Dirsey should design a bunch of plays to counter any plays that Brown gets beaten on. If he's up against a player he can't handle they can run some screens or counter draw runs to take that defender out if play and hopefully it will ratchet down their aggressiveness if we use it to our advantage without Josh taking off and taking some hits.

When was the last time you saw the Bills properly execute a screen?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

When was the last time you saw the Bills properly execute a screen?

Just because we haven’t had success in the past doesn’t mean we can’t work on it and improve.  

More reason to work on them and improve.  Having zero screen game makes things easier on opposing DCs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just because we haven’t had success in the past doesn’t mean we can’t work on it and improve.  

More reason to work on them and improve.  Having zero screen game makes things easier on opposing DCs.  

No one is saying we shouldn’t practice the screen game and TRY to execute one properly. Just sayin’ that we might want to figure out how to properly run one before relying on it as a solution to another problem. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

No one is saying we shouldn’t practice the screen game and TRY to execute one properly. Just sayin’ that we might want to figure out how to properly run one before relying on it as a solution to another problem. 

Reading the TC reports, we’ve been doing a lot of that

• Thank you (+1) 1

I hope his injury history doesn't continue and he can be the guy Beane though him to be & become a mainstay on the O line for the Bills for a long time to come . But if he does have another injury it wouldn't surprise me if they move on from him .

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s more than the injury… he just hasn’t been very good when healthy… actually he’s been awful in pass protection, but Josh has been able to overcome a lot of that. 

Maybe Tommy Doyle will step up & take over seeing as he has knowledge of offense he could step up with some good reps .

On 8/4/2023 at 2:05 PM, HardyBoy said:

Agree on being shut down until it's good, not just good enough.

That's something I don't understand about the whole best ability is available ility. Look at how great Gabe Davis has looked in camp. Why wouldn't he have sat longer with the high ankle sprain to let it heal more and allow him to be more explosive at the end of the year? They did the same thing playing him against the Chiefs in 2020 I believe and it really cost them as he should have been inactive.

Allen should have been sat down for a week or two last year too...just because you can play doesn't mean you should, give the depth a chance and let players heal as much as possible so when they come back you're getting an effective player...I don't get it.

Throw rousseau in there too - he came back the week after von went down.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s been back and practicing. Obviously it was nothing serious.

Right but that's what we were told last year.. then he was a weak spot all season and had offseason surgery.  The realization that we may be in the very same situation this year with only Quessenberry/Shell as a back up plan is frightening.  You can't hide a bad tackle these days, teams consistently move their best pass rushers around.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s been back and practicing. Obviously it was nothing serious.

I don’t know how you can say “obviously it was nothing serious”. He knows this is his last shot and if he tweaked it that bad, and by all reports it looked bad, he’s definitely playing through pain and it’s an ongoing issue, especially if it’s his back.  That’s a fact. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.