NFL Head Coaches who also were their teams defensive play callers:

Chaos

Yeah, another bash Sean McDermott thread, I would have never have guessed it…, just imagine, on this board too…, 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Chaos changed the title to NFL Head Coaches who also were their teams defensive play callers:
26 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What is the bash? Please explain. 

Here's the thing: most people here are sheep and worship anyone currently associated with the team like a god.

Then, when a certain person leaves the team, they usually make fun of that person and sneer about how bad they were.

I don't get it either.

Kiko Alonso, to name one of dozens, went from highly regarded fanboy player to the butt of jokes here in about 48 hours when we traded him off the team.

Rex is another great example.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

What do Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, Rex Ryan and Sean McDermott all have in common?

The same thing that these three do (or have):

Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin...

• Like (+1) 12

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Here's the thing: most people here are sheep and worship anyone currently associated with the team like a god.

Then, when a certain person leaves the team, they usually make fun of that person and sneer about how bad they were.

I don't get it either.

Kiko Alonso, to name one of dozens, went from highly regarded fanboy player to the butt of jokes here in about 48 hours when we traded him off the team.

Kiko Alonso’s career was average player around the league … I never had him in some super high regard

Unbiased… The dude got off to a crazy 8-10game streak here… Hit a wall

Never reached the same level and tore his ACL

We traded him for LeSean McCoy who had a much better bills career then Kiko… Kiko was cut from the Eagles

Got embarrassed by the bills when he was with the dolphins

The dude had the potential for a great career but didn’t have it

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

Whereas some of us told you all Rex was a busted flush when he was hired and said Kiko wouldn't get away with being continually out of position forever. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, folz said:

The same thing that these three do (or have):

Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin...

Has Tomlin ever called defensive plays as a Head Coach though? I know Belichick has, and Carroll has (although not when he won a championship). 

8 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Belichick never did?

Belichick did it between 2009 and 2012 and has again since 2017. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

The only ones I could find.  But there might be others. 

https://www.panthers.com/news/ron-rivera-among-growing-list-of-head-coaches-calling-plays

Looks like Ron Rivera did, Vic Mangio, Dan Quinn, so some others to add to the list in your original post.  I found it interesting that Rivera actually took over to give Eric Washington time to grow and eventually learn how to call plays.

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

Rex sucked.  Kiko sucked.  Byrd sucked. Fred Jackson absolutely rocked- this isn't very difficult.  Fitz and Stevie absolutely rocked for us, The Poz was pretty much a linebacker who should've gotten laid a bunch. How hard is this?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Mike Tomlin either still is or had called the defense for the Steelers for a long time.

You are right. Just googled. Tomlin took over play calling on defense in 2013 and called plays the final 2 years of Dick LeBeau's reign as DC and throughout Keith Butler's reign. 

I was not aware of that. 

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

https://www.panthers.com/news/ron-rivera-among-growing-list-of-head-coaches-calling-plays

Looks like Ron Rivera did, Vic Mangio, Dan Quinn, so some others to add to the list in your original post.  I found it interesting that Rivera actually took over to give Eric Washington time to grow and eventually learn how to call plays.

Yea Washington pretty much sucked as a play caller. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

Definitely not true about Rex.   His shine had worn off for the majority on the board long before he was fired.   Most were off the bandwagon after season one when he took a elite Schwartz defense and made it look unprepared and confused.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Lost said:

Zero Lombardi's

Bill Belichick is the team's GM, Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator.  

Last year, he was also the team's Offensive Coordinator.

The HC for both of the last two Super Bowl champions (Andy Reid and Sean McVey) also called the offensive plays for their team.

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

rex was always a joke. from the moment he unveiled his backward running buffalo truck to the moment it was brought to light about getting ddrunk the night before games.... a clown

i still liked kiko afterward - a role player

i started to make my mind up quick about mcdermoot. his schtick of waking up early to study MMA at 40something years old and that he held it in high regard he took it seriously beyond a fitness routine was a clown statement. mma is for kids who want to compete or adults whowant something different from fitness. not something you brag about - this is from someone who trains hard in crossfit knowing it's a hilarious joke and the whole schtick of the average stereotype being accurate.

fair or not i make my mind up pretty quick or not and to me mcdermoot has always been a clown.

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Rex sucked.  Kiko sucked.  Byrd sucked. Fred Jackson absolutely rocked- this isn't very difficult.  Fitz and Stevie absolutely rocked for us, The Poz was pretty much a linebacker who should've gotten laid a bunch. How hard is this?

i don't believe you are old enough to make this statement. i would bet money that you're mid 30's at most and/or did not realize what byrd was doing.

in getting his interceptions and playing in his prime/best window he was not sacrificing his coverage or scheme to get the ball. he was a genuine ballhawk and broke at the absolute critical time to make the play. it was one of the most amazing levels of play a safety can have, even if a brief window. byrd had one of the best 1 or 2 seasons of any Bill in the last 30 years - matched by Allens 2020 season (maybe it was 21, i forgot), and jacksons all heart season, and thomas's collective few seasons, and bruce smiths won't quit season, and just a few others.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

You’re looking a bit fury yourself, 

your world appears to be only black or white, baa 🐑 

😁

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

I, and many people, were done with Rex well before he left Buffalo.

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

What do Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, Rex Ryan and Sean McDermott all have in common?

These are four NFL head coaches who also decided to be defensive play callers. 

They all identify as men

• Haha (+1) 1

Shows your lack of research skills. There are so many more HC's over the years, including superbowl winning coaches, who called defensive plays for their teams.

Typical Chaos thread.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't get it either.

I understand and could probably agree with your assertion, which would hold true for most fan bases but the particular examples you used were VERY poor.  Both Kiko and Especially Rex I grew to despise and not because they left the Bills.  In Fact, I recall the exact day I turned on Rex, after a loss to KC when Rex missed two easy challenges and called for two terrible challenges which we lost both, because of those dim-witted decisions we lost the game including on turnover which clearly should have been challenged.  Then to top it off Rex after being an NFL HC for 7 seasons let it slip he didnt know how the replay system work.  When I heard that, in near disbelief, I was done with Rex.  Kiko was always a a bit crazy going back to his college days, my favorite was when Josh Allen made Kiko look like a fool twice on the same play out running him.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has Tomlin ever called defensive plays as a Head Coach though? I know Belichick has, and Carroll has (although not when he won a championship). 

Belichick did it between 2009 and 2012 and has again since 2017. 

Yes, it appears that Tomlin created the defensive gameplans and called his own plays for at least 2015-2021, possibly a few years prior to that also (2012/3-2014) if the previous Pittsburgh DC is to be believed. And even as the new DC took over last year, the reports were that it was believed that the new DC would call most of the plays. So...

https://www.steelernation.com/steelers-mike-tomlin-relinquish

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/mike-tomlin-called-plays-during-final-years-of-dick-lebeau-era-says-keith-butler/

https://sports.yahoo.com/controlling-steelers-defense-nothing-hc-185211010.html

Similar to Reid in KC (and others) with offense, I think there have been many defensive head coaches who have had a "Coordinator" in title, but were really the one controlling the defense.

I think this sometimes gets confused for two reasons, 1. There is a stigma amongst some media and fans that it is too much for a Head Coach to also take on coordinator duties, and 2. it is a courtesy to the "named" coordinator to not say they aren't actually in full charge (for future opportunities, pride, etc.). So, it isn't something that you necessarily advertise.

But, when you promote young guys from within (like Tomlin has), it's usually because they are there to run your defense. A guy like Leslie Frasier is different. He has been a DC and HC before. It is a much bigger pride/ego issue to not let him call the defense (be in charge in a way). Similar to Mike Tomlin inheriting Dick LeBeau. It appears that LeBeau called the defense early on in their time together, but at some point Tomlin took over the play calling duties (LeBeau's last couple of years). Then LeBeau leaves for Tennessee and Tomlin twice promotes from within, but obviously he had full control of the defense.

McDermott just doesn't have someone titled "defensive coordinator" on staff now, but I suspect that "Senior Defensive Assistant" Al Holcomb will fill a similar role as DCs whose defensive head coach is really running the show. And at least with McDermott making it clear that he is in charge and calling plays, there will be no confusion or rumors or whatever. Everyone knows the defense...and the whole team, rests squarely on his shoulders.

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Belichick had Brady. 

Are you comparing McD comparably to Belichick then?  

Yes. Literally that is what this thread was started for. To compare HC's who called defensive plays.

Why? Because the OP cherry picked a couple of names in bad faith and tried to use that to show why McDermott would not be successful. But his list was so incomplete it is laughable.

If you are trying to take the conversation somewhere else, that is up to you.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.